On 01/25/2016 07:47 PM, Raymond Higgs wrote:
> Zfcp_san_disc, and many other tools typically only display what Linux
> already knows about.  If you start with the device offline, then it'll
> bring the device online and show you what is currently in the fabric.  If
> you start with the device online, then it shows what is in /sys and that's
> it.  It doesn't try to update anything.

I didn't know this. Great to know.

> Each device has a file that can be used to rediscover changes in the
> fabric:
>
> echo 1 > /sys/bus/ccw/drivers/zfcp/<bus_id>/port_rescan
>
> This is nondisruptive.  You don't have to toggle the device off and on.

Got it.  Will do from now on.

> I don't have access to an SP4 system at the moment to see if any of the
> tools use port_rescan.

I checked all of them (zfcp_* & rescan-scsi.bush.sh) since they're all
shell scripts and none of them have the keyword "port_rescan" within
them.  I guess doing the "echo 1 > ..." is the way to go to grab changes
in the fabric.

Thanks Ray for your time & the very informative reply!

Best regards,
Jorge