On Friday, 01/29/2016 at 09:58 GMT, Christer Solskogen
<christer.solsko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On all of my x86_64 Linux boxes the default MTU is 1500. But with SuSE
> (both 11 and 12) on s390 they seems to be 1492. How come?

Historically, it's because there are two different kinds of non-jumbo
ethernet frames.  The traditional "DIX" frame has room for a 1500-byte
packet.  The other, defined by IEEE 802.3 has a slightly longer frame
header that enables multiple multi-protocol hosts to share a single
network adapter, leaving room for only 1492 bytes.  (See RFC 1042.) Bottom
line, if you're on an IEEE 802.3 network with SNAP headers, you have to
use MTU 1492.

And in the Before Times, the MTU also dictated the maximum packet size a
host could *receive*.  (Hmmm...so other guy's MTU has to match your MRU.)
But that's usually not an issue any more.  Not, at least, in the
mainframes -- dunno about x86 adapters.  And we have dynamic path MTU
discovery to help us.

All of that said, as of the z13, OSAs no longer support IEEE 802.3
networks, so 1500 is the correct default from here on out.

OSAs are capable of telling the host the MTU size, so Linux *can* get that
value from the OSA adapter.  It's just that this isn't something other
platforms can do and so the configuration process for the IP layer isn't
really amenable to self-discovery.

All of this fancy local MTU discovery was based on ARP.  When you ARP for
a IP address, you include "hardware type" in the ARP packet.  There is a
value for 802.2 (which covers 802.3) and a value for Ethernet (DIX). First
you ARP with hw=802.2.  If you get a response, you use MTU 1492.  If you
don't you try again with hw=Ethernet.  If you get a response, 1500 it is
(unless you have configured for Jumbo frames).

This same issue drives the jumbo frame configuration of 9000 vs. 8992.
There's that 8-byte difference, even though 802.2 networks can't carry
jumbo frames, and IEEE has been otherwise derelict in their duty to
standardize them.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323