More important is too large an MSS which can cause fragmentation.
You can test your network route from z/OS with this ping:
ping 192.168.20.54    (PMTU yes LENGTH 1472 Verbose

'PMTU yes' says 'do not fragment'.  On my host 1472 is max value that
does not fragment.  1473 will need fragmentation.  Going over a
VPN will have larger TCP/IP headers giving a smaller MSS.
For dynamic detection to work, your routers must pass the necessary
ICMP packets.  By default, some do not.

Good article here:
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2224654/cisco-subnet/mtu-size-issues.html

--