Ok, thanks for the info Christian …..
In the mean time I downloaded a new Ubuntu 16.04 s390x ISO file from
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/16.04/release/
I did a clean install using this ISO file and everything installed quickly and
the IPL ran OK.  So I am able to continue …..

Kind regards,
Johan Schelling
Infrastructure Solution Architect

ICU IT Services BV
Transistorstraat 55b  I  1322 CK  ALMERE

M 06 – 21 245 992  I  E johan.schell...@icu-it.nl
<mailto:johan.schell...@icu-it.nl>
T 088 – 5 234 123  I  www.icu-it.nl <http://www.icu-it.nl/>  I  KvK 32135776