Yes, when your hardware clock is not managed by NTP you cannot rely on it to
accurately initialize the system clock on boot, so you should force an NTP
clock sync ("jump") on startup.  Otherwise the NTP smooth clock adjustment
could take quite a while to get the system clock synced.

Once the initial sync has happened, NTP should be able to keep the clock within
at most a few milliseconds accurate, even on a VM with some scheduling
artifacts.

Willy