Hey Mark,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:16:04AM -0700, Mark Post wrote:

> > Hey Mark Post,
> >
> > You wrote this nice guide to doing it in SLES 11.
> > Do you have a SLES 12 process?
>
> No.  If you did NOT use btrfs for your file system, then the process
> would be pretty much the same, except for the zipl part.  That would
> be replaced with a grub2-install step.
>
> If you did use btrfs, then you can simply add another volume to the
> file system with "btrfs-device add".  Make sure you use YaST to bring
> the volume online and format it, or you'll need to run mkinitrd
> manually.

AFAIK its the same for btrfs as for the first case you mentioned. If you
change rootfs-dependencies, you'll need to make sure you rebuild the
"stage1"-initramfs.. so call grub2-install. And then you'll also have to
rebuild the normal initramfs.

Reason is simple. If your boot-fs is btrfs (normally the fs where /boot
is located) and it can not be completely assembled from within the
"stage1"-grub environment (which is located at /boot/zipl), you'll not
be able to load the normal kernel and initramfs. And AFAIK, that is the
default SLES12 setup - or maybe that changed with SP2, I have not
installed a fresh SP2, just upgraded.

                                                    Beste Grüße / Best regards,
                                                      - Benjamin Block
--
Linux on z Systems Development         /         IBM Systems & Technology Group
Vorsitz. AufsR.: Martina Koederitz     /        Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp