On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 13:06:24 +0000
Neale Ferguson <ne...@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> And thus was born cio_ignore?

Well, that was my second kernel patch :) (And the oldest one still
existing in remnants -- /proc/subchannels only lived during the 2.4 era
-- although the current cio_ignore implementation is a far cry from the
original one.)

The main problem cio_ignore was actually trying to solve were LPAR
definitions including every device, their friends, and some random ones
picked up on the street -- including devices shared with other LPARs.
You don't want all of these, and especially you don't want to write to
other people's disks by accident.

Ha, I thought 1024 devices would be enough for anybody :)

Funnily enough, I ran into limitations of the procfs when I tried to
create a /proc entry for every device discovered in 2.4. We only got
per-device entries with the advent of sysfs (and the driver model) in
2.5.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390