On Monday, 08/03/2020 at 04:00 GMT, Mariusz Walczak <blanc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> How to properly use zVM and zLinux virtualization technology to increase
> Openshift Cluster capacity from 12 vCPU to 24 vCPU, without degrading
> performance. Which of the approaches below is correct ?
> - to have 6 Worker Nodes (zLinux), 4 vCPU each ?
> - to have 1 Worker Node with 24 vCPU ? (lets forget about single point
of
> failure for now)

6 worker nodes with 4 vCPUs.

> I'm trying to understand - does it make any difference which option I
take
> ? At the end its vCPUs fighting for real CPU time on CEC (and for option
2
> I avoid OS overhead and OS management)

z/VM itself doesn't care overly much, but the guest will.   With too many
virtual CPUs, it can't make forward progress on all of its CPUs at
(approximately) the same time.  That means threads wait longer for other
threads to complete due to "dispatch latency".   Linux can make better
scheduling decisions if he has a better picture of processing capability.
You convey that to him by managing the number of virtual CPUs.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
IBM Z Delivery Practice
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323