From:   Grzegorz Powiedziuk <gpowiedz...@gmail.com>
To:     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Date:   08/17/2020 11:51 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: vmrelocate and quiescence time
Sent by:        Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:26 PM Bill Bitner <bitn...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I take a few days off and a fun topic comes up that I mostly miss. :-)
>
> We did a Live Virtual Class on this back when SSI first came out. A few
> things have changed, but you may find value in it:
> http://www.vm.ibm.com/education/lvc/zvmlvc.html
> The charts for the presentation are
> http://www.vm.ibm.com/education/lvc/LVC0227.pdf

This is great! Thank you. Although this brings a few more questions, it was
definitely very helpful.
- chart on page 24 idle case (0GB change) had a quiesce time 8s - I wonder
why. That VM in this test was probably >100GB so more or less close to my
case. But I thought that if there are close to 0 changes, then the last
pass should be just a "formality"? I was relocating my VM with DB2 being
stopped! There were just few idle processes left and yet it took 20-30s of
freeze time. Of course I am doing sync and not immediate.
Seems like I should be below <10s even with just 2CTCs (although I am
hoping to get 2 more) by looking at these charts.
- document says that I/O device count matters as well. We have 4 FCP
channels with quite a big number of luns (>20), would that make a big
difference?
I will look into anything related in perfsvm
thanks again.
Gregory

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit