On 30.11.20 21:10, Mark Post wrote:
> On 11/30/20 1:16 PM, Alan Haff wrote:
>> I have a number of Linux guests running under z/VM. I'd like to move some of
>> them to a KVM host running in another LPAR. Naively I tried DDRing a guest's
>> disks to new volumes and IPLing off of the new volumes. No luck, the virtio
>> modules aren't available in the guest so it can't see any DASD.
>>
>> Has someone put together a recipe for moving a guest from z/VM to KVM? Or am
>> I heading down a dead end?
>
> I'm not aware of one, but I wouldn't call it a dead end, either. As a
> first step, I would rebuild the initrd with whatever parameters are
> needed to include the virtio drivers, then try again. I have to think
> that /etc/fstab entries would need to be looked at as well.

Look at the virtualization cookbook 5 from the redbooks.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg248463.html?Open

chapter 8.7 contains information how to configure a system as such that it can
be moved forth and back between LPAR and KVM. That should then also be possible
with z/VM. If done right that should allow you to move the guest forth and back
between KVM and z/VM.

Basic idea:
make sure the initrd has classic (DASD) drivers and the virtio-blk driver and
then use driver independent names for the partitions.

CC Viktor, do we still have our presentation flying around somewhere?

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390