I can't comment on SLES9 but we did have a few SLES10 guests in z14 and z/VM
7.1. This year we have decommissioned the SLES10 guests.

SLES10 is not supported on z13 already and during the z13 migration we have had
one guest that didn't survive that. So we had to migrate that guest into
SLES11. We simply swapped out the OS disks with SLES11 disks, the application
was able to run in the new environment (though the application itself isn’t
supported on SLES11). I don't know for sure why this guest wasn't able to run
in z13 while others had no problems. But there is no point in investigating
that as both SLES10 and running SLES10 in z13 isn't supported.

Since the z13 and z14 have changed much compared to the machines that are
supported for SLES9 I would suggest to take a look at migrating them to a newer
level. I doubt if a SLES9 guest would be able to run correctly in a z14, if it
will IPL at all.

As Bruce mentioned, when a system will IPL in ESA390 mode it will not IPL in
either LPAR or z/VM. We have seen that for a z/OS guest during our z14
migration. z/OS 1.11 cannot start in a z14 environment, we had to migrate that
to z/OS 1.13 to be able to IPL the guest.

Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Berry van Sleeuwen
Flight Forum 3000 5657 EW Eindhoven