On 1/7/22 22:27, Mondy, Stephen (US - Texas) wrote:
I have a requirement to quickly install Red Hat Linux 8.5 on z/VM 7.2 for a
proof of concept of a Linux application.

I need the best
fast path, cookie cutter document/process to get the installs A-Z ( 2
instances ) completed ASAP. Is there one?

These are the docs I have been reviewing so far;
SG24-8147-02 - Virtualization Cookbook Vol 1 IBM zVM 7.2
SG24-8303-01 - The Virtualization Cookbook for IBM Z Volume 2 Red Hat
Enterprise Linux Server 8.2

I think the cookbooks are rather for larger scale penguin farms and might be
overkill for a PoC with just two Linux instances.

SC24-6287-04 - zVM720 Getting Started with Linux on IBM Z

red_hat_enterprise_linux-8-performing_a_standard_rhel_installation-en-us

I would start with that RHEL install guide. In particular, the following parts:

Typically installing Linux on Z is done over the network, so you need some
network server providing the content of the RHEL DVD ISO such that your Linux
z/VM guest can access it.
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/performing_a_standard_rhel_installation/prepare-installation-source_installing-rhel#ports-for-network-based-installation_prepare-installation-source

The Z part of the installation:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/performing_a_standard_rhel_installation/planning-for-installation-on-ibm-z_installing-rhel

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/performing_a_standard_rhel_installation/overview-of-the-ibm-z-installation-process_installing-rhel

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/performing_a_standard_rhel_installation/booting-the-installation_installing-rhel

The custom content of generic.prm is important, e.g. to get the network
configured used during installation (FWIW, since RHEL7 I don't use CMS
configuration files anymore and instead put everything in generic.prm):
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/performing_a_standard_rhel_installation/customizing-boot-parameters_installing-rhel

Here is a generalized examples of what it often looks like in my case; you need
to customize things in angle brackets such as network device numbers (bdf?), IP
addresses, etc.:

ro ramdisk_size=40000 cio_ignore=all,!condev
rd.znet=qeth,<0.0.bdf0>,<0.0.bdf1>,<0.0.bdf2>,layer2=<1>
ip=<guestIPaddress>::<defaultGW>:<CIDRmask>:<shorthostname>:enc<bdf0>:none
nameserver=<dnsIPaddress>
inst.repo=<http://.../s390x/RHEL8./DVD>
inst.vnc inst.vncpassword=<...> inst.sshd

You'd probably use the z/VM Reader to IPL the installer:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/performing_a_standard_rhel_installation/installing-under-z-vm_installing-rhel

I typically connect from my workstation via VNC to the RHEL graphical installer
running on Z.

Next, things continue pretty much like with RHEL on any other architecture:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/performing_a_standard_rhel_installation/graphical-installation_graphical-installation

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Kind regards
Steffen Maier

Linux on IBM Z and LinuxONE

https://www.ibm.com/privacy/us/en/
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Gregor Pillen
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390