From: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> on behalf of Martha McConaghy
<martha.mccona...@marist.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2022 5:34:22 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
Subject: Re: Moving LUNs using z/VM

OK, I want to make sure I am understanding it clearly.  Its an interesting
idea, but I really can't afford to blow away the original disks, so want to be
really sure.

The existing disks are used by the virtual machine by having LOADDEV statements
in the directory for the vm and then IPLing the raddr of the NPIV port on the
FC channel, i.e.:

LOADDEV PORT 500507630628D700
LOADDEV LUN 4001400900000000
IPL 2000

Now, the idea is to define an EDEV to VM that points to the same LUN, as well
as one that points to the new LUN on the DS8910.  Attach both edev devices to
my machine and then use DDR to copy from the old one to the new one.  Very
interesting idea.  As long as I don't try to write to the original LUN, define
a minidisk on it, etc, it should be OK, in theory.  Has anyone ever tried this?

Martha

Martha McConaghy

Marist:  System Architect/Technical Lead

SHARE Association:  Secretary

Marist College IT

Poughkeepsie, NY 12601