Short of having some Linux script querying the virtual reader, is there a
way Linux can detect when a file arrives and invoke a script?

Sort of like incrond for file system events.

The idea is from cms I could send a file to the Linux virtual reader and
then Linux would process with vmur commands.

How does CMS WAKE-UP do it? I assume when a. We file arrives there’s a.
Unsolicited DE (Ready) interrupt that Linux currently ignores.

Can I configure something with udev rules?

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390