Hi David.

 >>> An ne1000 driver can be done later, but to make sure that
 >>> everybody can join in for now, the more popular the card the
 >>> better.

 >> That sort of decision appears to be a geographically based one,
 >> so may not produce the result you are expecting...

 > Not true at all.  All you need, is the 8390 code written.  Once
 > you've got that, it's very very very easy to support the ne2k,
 > the 3c503 and the wd8003.  All of these are available in some
 > part of the world.

If that's how it's done, then I'd agree. However, I note that the
original post specifically referred to the ne2k and equally
specifically excluded even the ne1k, and my post basically said the
same as yours: Make the code as generic as possible, rather than
entwine details of a specific card throughout the code...

Best wishes from Riley.

| There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux  |
| else has already done so and is just about to release their patch.   |
 * ftp://ftp.MemAlpha.cx/pub/rhw/Linux
 * http://www.MemAlpha.cx/kernel.versions.html