On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> I have recently acquired a 286 and am interested in setting it up as a
> log host for my firewall.  I want it to run an open source OS, and am
> considering either FreeDos or Elks.  The firewall in question is for
> my home LAN, on which very little serious work is done, so I can
> tolerate a bit of flakiness, so long as it basically works.

You need IP and UDP to do "real" remote syslogging, which ELKS
doesn't have.

I think that there's a syslogger for DOS, but I wouldn't care to
guess where it might be found.

I would advise setting up your Linux box to log important stuff
out of its serial port and do a:

# cat /dev/ttyS0 | tee logfile

on the ELKS box.

Not a very sophisticated solution, though :)

Matthew.