From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk)
Subject: Re: Info on SCSI Standards and Scuzzy Spammers (was: Differential Signal
Transmission in SCSI
Date: 6 Mar 2000 23:08:24 GMT

>I'm not outing anyone.
>
>Mr. Bilk posts thousands of articles on usenet and as a result he is fair
>game to anyone who wants to look at them and form an opinion.

Still waiting for you to dig up some "dirt", "Steve".  Some
people *think* before they post; you ought to try it sometime.

>HE is the one who likes to dissect headers and peruse deja for information
>on individuals who don't follow along with his agenda, not I.

No -- on individuals who post the same lies over and over
again, using multiple fake identities to create the false
appearthat lots of people agree with them.  Like your fake
IDs, "Steve": teknite, steveno, sewer_rat, skagg, time2leave,
theman, proculous, pickle_pete, keymaster, keys88, etc., etc.

>I've never done anything like this before and don't eve intend to do it
>again.

That resolution didn't last very long!

>I'm just giving him a bit of his own medicine but I'm stopping it right
>here because quite frankly the stench that has been released just
>scratching the surface has made me ill.

As Proctologist of Borg, you ended up chasing your own tail,
so to speak.

>I'm outta here for good............................

If only it were true.  You just switched to some different
fake identities.

>Good bye Mr. Bilk.
>
>May God have mercy on your soul.
>
>Steve

Thank you.  May She do the same for you!

  Mark

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Posting Viruses, hmmm.
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 18:10:15 -0500

I have never, and will never, post a virus. However, reading the
beginning of one thread, one has to wonder how effective it would be?

Seriously, all us Linux users are immune to document viruses, if someone
posted a message in a format which could convey a virus to a Windows
machine, how likely is it that people using Word enabled e-mail reader
would get infected? While we would never notice it.

I am, by no means, suggesting that this should happen, however, it is an
area of risk Windows users should be made aware. The whole macro virus
thing really bothers me, it is so unnecessary.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (5X3)
Subject: Re: My Windows 2000 experience
Date: 6 Mar 2000 23:16:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "5X3" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8a11pm$m73$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> > "Eric Remy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> with
>>
>> > just 6?
>>
>> > I think it's 9 in W98 and W2K - just plug'n'play...
>>
>> Its however many PCI slots you have at the moment.  There have been Macs
>> with 12.

> Not true. You can have "multi-head" cards that provide more than one monitor
> output per PCI/AGP slot. I believe that (and I can't find it now that I'm
> looking) is a card that does 9 monitor output on a single AGP slot.

Sorry, I meant for apple hardware.

p0ok

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Chiglinsky)
Subject: Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K
Date: 6 Mar 2000 23:15:58 GMT

On Mon, 06 Mar 2000 13:29:57 GMT, George Marengo  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 01:07:29 -0500, "Drestin Black"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>"5X3" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
><snip>
>>> Did you forget?  NT's C2 certification does not allow networked
>>> connections.  Any bug in windows2000 (which of course could allow
>>> the same certification, as chad has said a couple of dozen times)
>>> which would be remotely exploitable doesnt count and therefore
>>> wont be mentioned.
>>
>>That is incorrect. NT3.51 was not network C2 rated but NT4 IS network
>>C2 rated.
>>W2K is even more secure than NT4 could ever dreamed of being.
>
>4.0 is network C2 certified? The only link I could find about 4.0 and
>C2 was that it was still being tested.

See http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/epl/entries/TTAP-CSC-EPL-99-001.html
updated November 1999.

quote:

  "The SAIC evaluation team has determined that Windows NT 4.0 with
  Service Pack 6a and the C2 Update as configured by the Trusted
  Facility Manual satisfies all the specified requirements of the
  criteria at class C2."

------------------------------

From: grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What's GNU/Linux?
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:32:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nelson Minar wrote:

>I think Stallman's "GNU/Linux" thing is obnoxious too, but let's not
>get confused about one important point:
>
>grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards) writes:
>> My point: Gcc is a result of the open-source software movement, not
>> the cause of it.
>
>Sure. But the sheer existence of the open-source software movement is
>due in large part to Stallman's years of evangelism. He created a lot
>of free software, he articulated the reasons for free software, he
>organized free software people. He led by example, he wrote a lot of
>the code in gcc.

I think RMS has had a big influence on the open source
movement, but I think it would have existed anyway.  There has
always been a lot of open-source software that didn't come from
the FSF.  Things like uucp, rcs, a whole slew of stuff I
remeber from DECUS tapes (including a C compiler), a lot of the
BSD stuff, kermit, etc.  RMS and the FSF became a focal point
for the open-source community, but I think the community would
still be here without them.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Did an Italian CRANE
                                  at               OPERATOR just experience

------------------------------

From: "Itchy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 11 Days Wasted ON Linux
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:36:25 GMT

As a small business owner I am always interested in ways to save money. We
switched from Apple to
IBM when Apple's pricing became too much to handle. I recently tried Redhat
Linux in the hopes
that I could save some money.

Well I spent 11 days messing around with this so called operating system and
for the life
of me can't figure out why in the world anyone in business would want to
waste
time on this obviously hacked together, half finished program.

Maybe some day when it is completed I will try it again but for now, it has
been thrown in the garbage can where it belongs. I have a business to run
and can't waste time searching the internet looking for ways to accomplish
simple tasks.
Mr. Gates provides me easy ways of running my programs and as a result
running my
business. Linux had better wake up, fast.

Aimee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:37:43 GMT

[...]

What a complete piece of garbage Linux is!

Aimee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (5X3)
Subject: Re: 11 Days Wasted ON Linux
Date: 6 Mar 2000 23:42:37 GMT

Itchy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As a small business owner I am always interested in ways to save money. We
> switched from Apple to
> IBM when Apple's pricing became too much to handle. I recently tried Redhat
> Linux in the hopes
> that I could save some money.

> Well I spent 11 days messing around with this so called operating system and
> for the life
> of me can't figure out why in the world anyone in business would want to
> waste
> time on this obviously hacked together, half finished program.

Sounds like the fact is that you're too stupid to make linux work.  Its
really not all that difficult.

Theres no shame in being stupid.  In fact, most people are.  It would
serve the rest of us quite nicely if you could just come to grips with
your own stupidity and move on, keeping it in mind the next time you
attempt something that requires a little mental elbow-grease.

p0ok

------------------------------

From: "Tim Haynes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Drafting a brochure
Date: 06 Mar 2000 23:41:39 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Kew) writes:

> I've done some draft scribbling for a brochure, aimed primarily at those
> poor benighted souls caught in the Evil Empire.  The purpose of the
> brochure is to explain "why Linux?"
>
> I'm looking for comments on what I've written.

OKie, here goes..

 | You get Windows 2000, then the usual merry-go-round of upgrades and fixes
 | to your software and hardware.

This is not a global thing across all distributions, unfortunately. I don't
regard "insert CD, boot off it and do an upgrade then spend a few days
fixing all the broken dependencies" as that much of an improvement, at
least when windoze does a palatable job of working first time. (Oh, OK then
;) . As for 'fixes' as well as upgrades... not all distributions are
created equal ;)
Of course, *linux* itself being well designed means that it is /possible/
to get nice & smooth upgrades and sys management, but whether everyone
chooses to use it is a different thingy.

 | Is Linux for me?
 | If you use a PC, yes.

You might want to expand on this just a *little*? :)
(And not just on the "why" front, but maybe "PC" as well. Let's not forget
such things as /usr/src/linux/arch/.)

 | YES  Linux will deliver a vastly more stable and robust system if:

You might want either to quote figures, pointers to benchmarks, or reduce
the 'vastly'.

 | irritating random reboots,

I'd suggest something involving "unnecessary" instead of / as well as
"random".

 | NO Linux will not help you if you are locked in to proprietary
 | applications that run on Windows only (but ask your supplier when they
 | plan to offer an upgrade).

I wouldn't phrase that in terms of 'an upgrade', rather 'make it
available'.

In section 3, make some hyperlinks to e.g. www.linmodem.org, and maybe
consider "win-printers" as well as "win-modems".

 | the range of 'desktop' software is still far more limited

s/far//;

Oh, and much kudos for your "open..." ({systems,standards,...}) sections.

> Note followups.

Indeedie.

~Tim
--

------------------------------

From: Mark McDougall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.bsd.386bsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Subject: Re: BSD & Linux
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 10:53:54 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Cricket is... boring.  Baseball players wear much less protective
> equipment when facing 100 MPH pitches than cricket batsmen do.  So are
> football players and cricket players wimpy? :-)

And how many balls, on average, does a baseball player face during a
game? Four?, Eight?, a dozen? Hah! A batsman playing cricket dug in for
a good innings in a test match could face 2-3 *hundred* deliveries. And
a cricket ball hurts just a little bit more than a baseball...

<FLAME_RETARDANT_UNDERWEAR_ON>
If Cricket is to sport what chess is to board games, then...
Soccer is to sport what backgammon is to board games...
Rugby (both codes) is to sport what "Go Fish" is to card games...
Gridiron is to sport what "snap" is to card games...
And I can't for the life of me think of a game analogous to basketball -
a game in which the score is even for all but the last 2 mins of the
game (why don't they just take turns shooting?)... now *that's* boring!
<FLAME_RETARDANT_UNDERWEAR_OFF>

--
|     Mark McDougall    |
|        Engineer       |

------------------------------

From: Fabio M Albertin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux vs. NT as a webserver
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:50:01 -0500

Hello,

Maybe some of you have some answers for me...
I'm trying to convince my superior at work that installing a Linux webserver
instead of an NT server will be a very good decision that the company won't
regret for at least a decade.
So, basically, why is Linux better than NT, and can you back it up with any
online resources? I'd be extremely grateful for responses.
The main points are : stability, overall cost of computer & OS, cost of
hiring staff with knowledge of Linux in the future, apache's ability to run
ASP... I think you get the idea...

Anyway, I'd be really grateful if any Linux-freak could send some facts my
way... to [EMAIL PROTECTED] .

Thanks.

Bye,

Fabio Albertin

------------------------------

From: Tim Hockin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Salary?
Date: 6 Mar 2000 23:53:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc 5X3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> hey P00k :)  good to see you again :)

: I hear california sucks ass, any comments?  :P

you hear wrong :)  I'm surrounded by folks who teach me stuff without ever
knowing they're in the professor business.  I love it here.

--
Tim Hockin
This program has been brought to you by the language C and the number F.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:06:14 -0800
From: Denis Barthel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Linux version is best ?

I would ask you *NOT* to install Suse. You wrote

> As someone who has never used Linux, but am interested in installing it

SuSE has a very strange file tree and in many cases a lot of
configuration is extremely different from linux-standards. So whenever
you get some more experienced and want to realize more complex tasks,
you may get in trouble, because of the proprietary character of SuSE.
The famous HOWTO's are often useless then, because many things are
different within Suse and changing dist then may be hard re-learning. So
for first steps I recommend Corel, which is fully debian-based. It is
very easy to install and you can run it fast and learn well. It is
sometimes a bit unpredictable and unstable now ( V 1.0 - !), but when
you learned enough, you might change to Debian, famous for it's
stability and reliability ( And it's cool too :-) because it is the only
full open-source-distribution ).

> Can someone tell me what the difference is between the various versions of
> Linux - i.e. what are the major differences in the applications which come
> packaged on the CD's?

The main differences mainly are not within the applications itself, but
their  default selection ( one dist relies on wuftpd, another one on
proftpd, i.e. ), their configuration ( some give security a higher
priority, some prefer usability ) and their basic intention ( TurboLinux
is very cluster-friendly, Corel is desktop-system-orientated, debian is
prefering stability and security, SuSE tries to do everything in the
same time and nothing is really convincing :-), etc.pp. )

> E.g. do all linux versions come with the same relational databases, same
> compilers etc ?

This depends on your selection. Base applications ( i.e. GNU
C/C++-compiler )are mostly identical, add-on's can be chosen at
installation. But in general you are able to replace one app by another
doing the same work, if you like to.

> Is there anywhere on the Web which reviews all the Linux variants in terms
> of their features and ease of installation ?
>
> Actually, I am not that bothered if I choose a Linux version which is not
> necessarily the easiest to install. I am prepared to spend the time doing
> the nitty gritty of installation as a learning exercise in itself.

Choose Debian, hehehe. Installing it means to do it almost from scratch
;-).

Best wishes,
Denis

P.S.: Might sound as if I were a SuSE-hater. I have used it a few years
and were content. But now I changed because of the given reasons and I
am sure that I have done the right thing more than ever.

------------------------------

From: "Francis Van Aeken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3 out of 4 PCs do not need browsers
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:49:25 -0300

Wolfgang Weisselberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> Do you prefer "active contents" even though they may erase your HD
> and send out money orders you won't approve off?  I mean, noone
> would actually sign malicious code or even code that turned off
> your security measures, would they?

Eh, that's ironic, I suppose? Anyway, different authors will have
different policies. It's up to you to trust the author... If you don't,
don't run his/her/their stuff.

> Luckily pizza shops will usually ring back before delivery.

They do so in Germany? They never did that in Belgium when
I was still living there. You can't trust anybody anymore these
days...

> (and that's not talking about the usual cardbord security,
> either.)

Eh? I don't get it...

Francis.