From: Haoyu Meng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why waste time on Linux?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:15:55 -0500

Random Liegh wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Sanders wrote:
> >proculous wrote:
> >>
> >>  When there are so many great windows and mcintosh programs out their
> >> what is the point of wasting time on a build it as you go along system?
> >> i've used linux and as far as i am concerned it is a complete waste of
> >> time to configure and set up all in the hopes that there might be some
> >> application that you can really use. Hardware support is in many cases
> >> at a very basic level. I can walk into just about any store and buy an
> >> application that will do anything. mention linux and people start to
> >> look at you funny.
> >>
> >       Man, this type of thread is really tiresome.  If Linux is a waste of
> >time for you, don't use it!  Stay with windows.
>
> No SH**; I really wonder about the motives about those who post those
> kinds of articles on newsgroups about *other os's*. Wtf is up with
> that? Lack of things to do on those long weekend nights?
>
> >       How about this:  If you don't already have some experience on UNIX, or
> >you don't care to learn anything about UNIX, or you don't have an
> >interest in exploring other OS's, then just don't!  Contrary to what
> >many here say, Linux is _not_ for everyone.  It's not a requirement for
> >anyone to use _any_ particular OS.  The success of Linux is not
> >dependent upon every desktop in the world to be running Linux.  How many
> >users (other than the developers) were there before the 1st version of
> >Linux was available?  NONE.
>
> And, in all honesty--how many users were there even in 1995 (wasn't
> it?) when kernel 1 was released. Most users (as far as I know) have come
> along *since then* to a party well in progress.
>
> >> you linux supporters have no idea how much you are missing in the way
> >> of great applications. Too busy compiling your cernels i suppose.
> >       I would guess that you would be hard pressed to find someone who runs
> >Linux that has zero familiarity with a Windows OS.  Yes, there have been
> >times that I was busy compiling my Kernel.  I've have a box with a
> >custom SCSI boot proceedure and another Kernel that runs on an embedded
> >Motorola system.  Can you buy that app?
> >       [deletia]
> I /HATE/ kernel compiling, and for me it works just fine to tinker with
> the settings in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules =)
> The rest of the time I'm surfing the net w/ tools that are *tons*
> faster/better/more reliable than their windows counterparts, or learning
> gimp.
>
> You have to admit; using linux if all you're into is *games* is *in fact*
> a waste of time (mostly, yes--there are exceptions). Perhaps mr
> proctologist-of-bore(g) should stick to games, maybe?

And the good thing about compiling a kernel is that you only have to do it once!
Once you get it setup, you can do rock-solid computing for months/years without
ever needing to worry about underlying system reliability. Mainting a workable
system on Windows is far less so. Although clicking though the Control Panels
might save might save you the few minutes it would take to configure and compile
a kernel, the resulting system under Widnows is bound to fail in no more than a
few months, in some way or another. This especially true if large number of
application packages are installed, which frequently result in
REGISTRY corruption.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Giving up on NT (Bob shows his lack of knowledge yet again)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:21:15 GMT

David H. McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

HEY EVERYONE ---   Standby for McCoy to tell us how the sex was with someones
mother.  Its his standard MO.

>In article <38cced89$1$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bowen) said:

>> >Nah just treating Bob how he treats others.

>> >You'd have to read Bob's hate filled diatribes on non-OS/2 using people to
>> >answer that question.
>>
>> ...after it was started by the wincrap assholes, who come here loaded with an
>> obnoxiousness that looks for it, and who apparently don't have any other life
>> since they are always here.
>>

>So, Bob's bigoted comments is okay because some Windows user started it?
>What a weenie. Your mom would be disappointed.

So McCoy, is your next set of comments going to be like others? The ones where
you lost the argument and start talking about how the sex was with some guys
mother?

You are completely sick asshole -- and I have YOUR archived messages to prove
it. If you keep showing up here, I will someday use them to publicly push you
back in to the hole you crawled out of.

_____________
Ed Letourneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:53:26 -0500
From: Justin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Bsd and Linux

Hello!And no this isnt a "troll", thanks for asking though hehe

What I AM curious about is performance issues..Compared to Linux how
well does the BSD systems perform? Networking and Running a stable
server..

Thanks Justin

From: Paul Jakma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Salary?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:49:55 +0000

Martin Redmond wrote:

> You shouldn't be so timid.  The US is a great country to live in.  I'm from
> Dublin and I can tell you, Ireland is pretty dull after living in NY for
> a few years.

well, i've lived in a couple of different places as a kid (County Clare,
County kildare, Scotland, Holland), and i just like ireland. it feels
like home, and i'd probably hate NYC - just wouldn't be my cup of tea.
(i wouldn't like to live in amsterdam for example).

each to their own. :)

(where you from in dublin btw?)

> Martin

-paul.

------------------------------

From: Paul Jakma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:55:03 +0000

Diego Berge wrote:

>    <g> Where was that?

not sure. it must have been while my Dad was working for DEC, so
therefore he was either in Massachusetts or else Wichita, Kansas.

> I lived for a while in rural NE Tennesse, and
> can tell you I approached a cop more than once asking for directions.
> They were always helpful and relaxed, and none ever pointed a gun,
> loaded or otherwise, at me.

yeah, obviously different parts of the US have different
crime/affluence/etc/ levels. It'd be unfair to judge the whole of the US
by what you see on TV/movies. :)

And i've experienced the same thing. In holland if i told people i was
from Ireland they'd ask in a worried manner "aren't you afraid of the
bombs?".

>    I agree, however, that it's probably another story in those big
> urban areas like LA and NYC. Cities are unhealthy places, anyway.

agreed on that point. Amsterdam being the most hellish city i've
experienced.

> Regards,
> Diego Berge.

-paul jakma.

------------------------------

From: Graham Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bundling inherently unfair to consumers - R people in here stupid??
Date: 15 Mar 2000 13:35:51 +0000

"Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think there are several thousand millionaires around Redmond who laugh all
> the way to the bank at that remark...

If these people *ALL* decided to sell their stock at the same time (ie
they all went to the bank) then I would not be surprised if this then
caused the price to fall.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk)
Subject: Re: Top 10 reasons why Linux sux
Date: 15 Mar 2000 14:43:17 GMT

In article <QsEz4.2127$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jim Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >I have to say I feel Corel traded off stability for ease of use and
>> >stability IS the selling point of Linux.

The post in which Ross made this statement
(http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=597058551)
gives no evidence for Corel Linux being unstable in any way.

>> >Corel 1.0 feels like a sad replica of Windows 9X now.
>>
>> This sounds like a religious fundamentalist who evaluates
>> everything according to how similar it is to his sect's parti-
>> cular narrow doctrines.  MS-Windows is not the bible, and
>> Gates is not God (more likely, the opposite >8^#).  The fact
>> that some Linux GUIs do things differently than Microsoft
>> does not mean they suck or they're sad; it just means they're
>> *different*.
>
>Windows 9X is an excellent frame of reference since almost every has used it
>and by Y2K
>Win95 is a know thing.

When publishing articles to be read by thousands of people,
it's a good idea to proofread them, and keep line length
down to 65 characters or so, to avoid subsequent folding.

If Ross's criterion were applied to Windows 95, it would be
seen as a "sad replica" of Windows 3.1, and "not ready for
the desktop", because it changed a lot of the key and mouse
strokes for invoking functions.  The same for Windows 3.1
with respect to MS-DOS, MS-DOS with respect to CP/M, any
computer system with respect to non-computerized machines,
and in fact, *anything* that one has not experienced before.

>Where the hell do these strange religious comments come from??

Windows 9X is an *arbitrary* frame of reference, which is
considered "excellent" by some people and lousy by others.
The fact that it's widely used at the present time doesn't
mean that it's good, only that Microsoft's (often fraudulent
and coercive) marketing techniques have been effective.

Unquestioning belief that it's the right, proper, natural way
to do things, and the standard against which all operating
systems should be judged, is similar to the unquestioning
belief of religious fundamentalists in their particular dogma,
hence the use of that metaphor.

>> Jim, you complained that you couldn't copy and paste text, nor
>> install deb or tar packages, under Corel Linux, and you claimed
>> that therefore "Linux isn't ready for the desktop".  After
>> having the first operation explained to you in detail, and
>> being told that the other two are indeed feasible, you contin-
>> ue to maintain the same negative opinion.
>
>The fact that it was not crystal clear means there is a problem.
>I was not doing rocket science, just a copy/paste.

Elmer FUD: There's something mighty scwewy awound here...

Bugs Bunny: Hmm... could be *you*, Doc!

Jim Ross has trouble figuring out how to do something in
Linux, and for some reason doesn't want to request or accept
assistance.  He then claims that therefore *Linux itself*
"isn't ready for the desktop"!  This is like Jeff Szarka
and his bogus Linux installation scam all over again.

Linux may not be ready for *Ross's personal desktop*, or,
more accurately, he may not be ready for it.  But his minor
problems, and his strange refusal to accept help in solving
them, have no relevance to the suitability of Linux for
everyone else.

>> You're not the first person to claim that, for various reasons,
>> Linux and Unix suck, are useless, aren't ready for the desktop,
>> etc.
>
>Notice to third paries reading this:  I said only the last of these three
>things.
>33% is a failing grade in summing up my position on Linux.
>I made no reference to Unix either.

I meant "or", not "and".  Is there an "or" version of "etc."?

>> This despite the fact that many millions of people are
>> already using them, often on desktop computers.  Most of the
>> other naysayers are also not swayed by having their complaints
>> remedied, leading many to think that their purpose is to spread
>> anti-Linux propaganda, rather than to participate in an honest
>> discussion.  I hope it doesn't turn out that way with you.
>
>You're help does not remedy the fact that Linux (the system, not the kernel)
>out of the box often sucks as a desktop environment for users.

Well, there, Ross just used the "S" word, so my grade is now
up to 66%.  Also, for anyone who actually does want to use
Linux, and not just propagandize against it, getting help
for any problems they encounter certainly *does* make it
usable (and thus non-sucking).

>Fonts are known by everyone to be a problem.

Which can easily be fixed by following Donovan's HOW-TO,
as has already been explained here.

>I want people to be damn clear before they start what the issues are.

Ross's "issues" are the result of his belief that Microsoft
windows is the "excellent frame of reference" by which all
operating systems should be judged.

>People have little time,

The time spent in learning how Linux works is more than
compensated by the time saved in avoiding MS-Windows crashes,
re-installations, DLL conflicts, registry disasters, etc.

>Linux has been overhyped by the media,

That's what Microsoft Corp. tells us, but I've never seen it.

>and that leads to Linux being a disappoint as a desktop,

Those whose goal is actually using Linux (rather than per-
suading others not to), and who read the manual and seek and
accept the public user support, are generally pleased, not
disappointed.

>which everyone should be
>more clear Linux is very good.  Mostly at being a server OS though.

Parse errors due to lack of proofreading indicate disdain
for the reading audience.

>> If you like Microsoft Windows better, and want to stay with
>> it, go right ahead.  You're welcome to it.  Those who want a
>> system that's reliable, understandable (even on the inside),
>> conformant to worldwide standards of data and program inter-
>> change, far less expensive, easier to program for, and avail-
>> able on many major types of computers, will choose Linux or
>> some other form of Unix.
>
>Actually I use both.
>Some people do have high expectations in what an OS provides in desktop apps
>and ease.

As do many satisfied Linux users.

>I clearly have some issues with Linux on the desktop.
>I use Linux on the server myself, where it's best suited.

Perhaps that's where it's best suited for Jim Ross, but his
generalization to everyone else is without merit.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
From: Wolfgang Sourdeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bsd and Linux
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:31:07 GMT

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Justin wrote:

> Hello!And no this isnt a "troll", thanks for asking though hehe
>
> What I AM curious about is performance issues..Compared to Linux how
> well does the BSD systems perform? Networking and Running a stable
> server..
>
> Thanks Justin

The best thing to do in order to know it is to try by yourself...

Wolfgang
--
Les nombres imitent l'espace, qui est de nature si différente.
Pascal, Pensées

------------------------------

From: Scott Higdon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Subject: Re: which OS is best?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:39:49 -0500

In article <8alsm0$lvs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What children learning software and games are there for your children
> on Linux?
>
> What do they typically use the computer for? Learning? Playing games?
> Browsing the web?
>
> What type of computer education are you giving them simply because of
> your overly-biased and ignorance-founded hatred for Microsoft?
>
> Are you sacrificing the well being and mental development of your
> children simply because you're too ignorant?

This is the most idiotic thing I've ever read. To associate well being
and mental development with the use of Microsoft products is an insult.
Oh, no! How did any of us survive before Microsoft!? For that matter,
how did anyone survive before computers? I suppose the millions of
people who don't own computers have had their development stunted.

--

Scott Higdon
=====================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 15 Mar 2000 12:47:28 GMT

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:38:59 -0500, Jim Ross wrote:

>The fact that it was not crystal clear means there is a problem.
>I was not doing rocket science, just a copy/paste.

I don't see how copy/paste is any less clear on UNIX/Linux than it is on
Windows. In either case, you need to learn how to do it, and once you
learn it becoes quite easy.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: NYC LOCAL: NYLUG Wednesday 15 March 2000: Meet the Andover.net New York City
Team
Date: 15 Mar 2000 08:11:23 -0500

Today an alliance of large media companies and national governments is
trying to make it impossible for another Slashdot to ever get on the Net.

The Free Software Movement is working to keep the Net free.

http://www.fsf.org
http://www.opendvd.org

Slashdot was born free and is today a roaring success.  Whether Slashdot
the business will ever run in the black is a separate question.  Come to
this meeting to find out how the parent company of Slashdot, Andover.net,
hopes to make money.

Official NYLUG meeting notice below.

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

        *** New York Linux Users Group March Meeting ***

                           - NYLUG.org -

                Andover.Net - The Leading Linux Destination

Wed. 3/15/00
6:30pm-7:30pm
IBM Building
590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street
Check in at lobby for badge and room number.

Andover.Net, the award-winning IT network and news service, acquired the
well-known web sites Slashdot and Freshmeat last summer, had a huge IPO in
the fall and was then acquired by VA Linux Systems for nearly $830 million
this past winter. Today, they serve 50 million page impressions to over
2.4 million users each month and also serve up other Linux sites including
ThinkGeek, FreeCode, and LinuxDaveCentral. All told, this accounts for
over 50% of the visits to Linux destinations on the Internet.  It's really
been quite a year for them and NYLUG.org welcomes Andover.Net into the New
York Linux community to hear their story.

Join us as the local New York team from Andover.Net answers your questions
and discusses the history of their company, where they've been, what they
are doing now and what the future holds.

Please note: this is a non-technical meeting with an emphasis on the ad
sales model and branding. If you are interested in the business
undercurrents of the Linux industry, then this is a good meeting for you.

===============================
After the Meeting... Stammtisch

Join us around 7:30pm or so at the Typhoon Brewery and Restaurant located
at 22 East 54th Street between Madison and 5th Aves.

==============
Swag Give-Away

Mucho leftovers from LinuxWorld Expo. Come and get 'em.

==================================
Where & When is the NYLUG Meeting?

With the generous support of IBM, all regular NY-LUG meetings are held at
the main IBM building at 590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street in mid-town
Manhattan every third Wednesday of the month starting at 6:30pm. All
meetings are free and open to the public.

Thanks to Eric Berg, we now have sortable archives from 1999 and in new
millennium. Check it out at: www.nylug.org

========
Contacts

Jim Gleason, President, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Eric Berg, Vice President, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============
What is Linux?
http://www.nylug.org/about_linux.html

==================
What is NYLUG.org?

NYLUG (www.nylug.org) is New York's Linux Users Group supporting all
things Linux and Open Source in the New York metro area. Please feel
free to contact me if you have any questions about the NYLUG.org.

==============
Special Thanks

Many thanks go out to Peter Norton and Barry Hughes, NYLUG's lead
engineers at LinuxWorld Expo, and all of the other NYLUGGERS who
volunteered. It was a huge success. Good job everybody!

================================
Stand-by Marchers to Protest DVD

NYLUG.org has been receiving sign-ups for people who can make themselves
available  on short-notice to march peacefully in front of the courthouse
should the MPAA choose New York City as a jurisdiction for its next
hearing. If you want to become a stand-by marcher, please send me email at:

Jim Gleason               VA Linux Systems
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.valinux.com
phone: 212-858-7684       President, New York Linux Users Group
fax: 212-858-7685         http://www.nylug.org

From: Nikola D Krgovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 is pretty reliable
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:06:11 +0100

David Goldstein wrote:

> Donn Miller wrote:
> >
> > Bad news for us unix types -- I've been asking around in various NG's,
> > and people have been telling me that Windowss 2000 is extremely
> > reliable.  From what I've heard so far, W2K has been up on people's
> > servers, and running for 1-3 months now without a crash.  Sounds
> > pretty stable to me.

 Look, a log time a go there was a tiny bug in some Unix (I think it was
SCO). It's sistem time would get incorrect if it was running without a
reboot for more than 1 (or was it 10) years. So what, they said, who'll
notice that.
 Well, whhen the time went they had THE BIGGEST NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS ANYONE
EVER SEEN!!! All like: what kind of software do you make!

So, you see, 1-3 months.... Talk to us when you reach 3-5 years!

------------------------------

From: Robert MacGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GAWD Linux is a bitch
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:07:04 -0600

I'm in year 2 with Linux and STILL every little thing I want to do on my
humble Linux server is a big pain.. And I curse and I whine..

BUT------  Then I find the solution on the Web and fix it.. And then I
pat myself on the back and reaffirm what a supreme s00per hakker I am :-)

I have to say, as difficult the learning curve has been for me with
Linux, I've *always* been able to find the solutions.  And I usually
don't have to look very far.

With NT?  ha!

[*warm cuddly feelings about Linux and the Linux community inserted
here*]

------------------------------

From: Luke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux based software to US government?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:08:43 GMT

Well, if you're selling to them, why can't you just ask?

------------------------------

From: Robert MacGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My Windows 2000 experience
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:09:25 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "Matt Gaia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > : How good is Linux's multiple monitor support? Oh wait, that'd be
> > useless,
> > > : I guess. I mean, how much benefit does watching the kernel compile
> > > : on two screens really provide?
> > >
> > > Oh wait, why would you need Multi-Monitor Support on any system except for
> > > a multimedia system.  Just another proof of Windows bells and whistles
> > > vs. Linux functionality.
> > >

> > ahhh... feature envy denial... <grin>
>
> Linux has been doing multiple monitors LONG before Microsoft
> "invented" it.

And, for the record, Mac's have been doing multiple monitors since the
first Mac II's came off the line back in the mid 80's.