From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Reboot without all these...
Date: 20 Mar 2000 00:20:33 GMT

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:23:21 GMT, C.X. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I want to build a Linux box which has no anything except a network card
>to connect to outside.

Look here:  <http://www.linuxrouter.org/>

These kind folks have already put together a very small Linux
distribution just for building routers.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: A pox on the penguin? (Linux Virus Epidemic)
Date: 20 Mar 2000 08:31:43 +0800

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 02:21:12 GMT, George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:08:05 -0600, Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
><snip>
>>In NT it is quite common, despite all the propaganda you can spew,
>>that users are running NT on a FAT filesystem (no security at all)
>>or have administrator rights.
>
>It might very well be common where you looked, but I've seen
>NT generally installed on NTFS and users running as Users.
>
>>Everything from MS is utter crap.
>
>Hey, now there's a novel way to get people to think you're a
>rational thinker...

Unlike you George, we have Tim's long history of posting in COLA
to tell us he is a rational thinker.

But dont listen to me, tell us why MS is NOT utter crap ???

Kind Regards
Terry
--
**** To reach me, use [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux, and has been

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dirty deeds... (was Re: Giving up on NT (Bob shows his lack of knowledge
yet again)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:37:00 GMT

Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>: I agree, but I also think -- in light of what has come out at the M$ antitrust
>: trial, that there are many, many dirty deeds committed by M$, as well as
>: mis-information and lies spread  by Ziff-Davis and others -- that had just a
>: large an impact on OS2, as anything that IBM did or didn't do.

>Would this be a good time to mention IBM's dirty deeds, and how they often
>"squished" the smaller companies and spread lies in the name of profit?

>This is what capitalism is... a fight to the death.  I for one find it
>fitting that IBM get a taste of their own medicine.  But then again, I grew
>up in an time where Microsoft was the underdog.

Then you might also be too young to know that when IBM engaged in too many
"dirty deeds" e.g., they rigged the market, until the government stopped them
-- just as they are going to do to M$.  And one could add that in the process,
IBM generally tried to produce good products -- while M$ has focused on junk
that looks good.

_____________
Ed Letourneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Roger <roger@.>
Crossposted-To: alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Enemies of Linux are MS Lovers
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:38:33 GMT

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:07:01 GMT, someone claiming to be David D.W.
Downey wrote:

>> >I never claimed my
>> >procedure was absolutely optimum but neither you nor anyone else has
>> >shown (nor can show) how, for this particular machine (Gateway Solo
>> >2300XL) and its Windows 95 software (version 4.00.950 B), as provided by
>> >the manufacturer, the installation can be made significantly shorter
>> >overall.

>> Also wrong -- the use of SMARTDRV all by itself will do this.

>haha hahah ahahahahah ahahahah HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>
>yeah, o.k.

You have data to the contrary?

Didn't think so.

------------------------------

From: Roger <roger@.>
Crossposted-To: alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:39:45 GMT

On 19 Mar 2000 23:45:05 GMT, someone claiming to be Damien wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:05:59 GMT, in alt.microsoft.sucks,
>Roger <roger@.> wrote:

>| You don't -- do you suppose Gateway pays people to sit there and click
>| "OK" all day?

>No. They do it once and then clone the drives.

No. They use a scripted install.

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:48:56 -0600

Terry Porter wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 02:21:12 GMT, George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:08:05 -0600, Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:
> ><snip>
> >>In NT it is quite common, despite all the propaganda you can spew,
> >>that users are running NT on a FAT filesystem (no security at all)
> >>or have administrator rights.
> >
> >It might very well be common where you looked, but I've seen
> >NT generally installed on NTFS and users running as Users.
> >
> >>Everything from MS is utter crap.
> >
> >Hey, now there's a novel way to get people to think you're a
> >rational thinker...
> >
> Unlike you George, we have Tim's long history of posting in COLA
> to tell us he is a rational thinker.
>
> But dont listen to me, tell us why MS is NOT utter crap ???

It is, isn't it?  I do use obscenities from time to time, depending on my mood,
and besides, some would prefer it that way.

--
Tim Kelley

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED],net
Subject: Re: Gnome/Gnu programmers Suck.  -- Not a troll
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:43:46 GMT

So you like to name call, that's fine. How about challenging the topic
instead of burying your head among the collective Linux supporters up
Linus's a** and in the process ignoring the obvious deficiencies of
Linux.

Steve

------------------------------

From: "Michael Aldred" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:44:55 +0800

"Xcott Craver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8b3eq0$q8q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Now, why AmigaDOS isn't used as an embedded system, I don't know.
> How portable is/was it?  Also, systems like QNX are such that
> one can leave out the components of the OS which aren't needed.
> Other OSs are more suitable for net appliances, because of the
> need to run things like real-media files and Macromedia flash.
> But it's a good question.

Not very portable.

But I think the main reason would be the lack of any protection in the
system against bugs, etc.  Plus it's not a realtime system when put against
something like QNX which is far more powerful, yet almost as small (Amiga
kernel is 16K and QNX kernel is 32K, so I've heard) makes the AmigaOS have
no real advantage in this area.

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED],net
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:48:44 GMT

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:17:42 -0500, Gary Hallock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED], net wrote:
>
>> Not being a programmer and only a programming   ignorant simpleton
>> windows user I can't really say what the Linux solution is. All I can
>> say is that when I need a Windows program, they typically are not that
>> big and whatever libraries and so forth the download duplicates is
>> really a moot point. I suspect, and I may be wrong, that they depend
>> on the libraries installed with Windows.
>> If an older dll file is being copied I have the option of picking
>> which one I want.
>
>And how do you know which one to pick?  How do you know that something else
>won't break if you make the wrong decision?   What do you do a few weeks
>after the install when you run a program you haven't used in a while and it
>fails.   Will you know enough to figure out that it must have been the dll
>installed a few weeks earlier?

In the past I would have agreed with you in full. Currently, and using
current programs I have not encountered ANY dll problems in at least a
year and a half.

>> I click setup.exe and it works.
>> Why it works I don't know. But it does every time.
>
>Yes, the newly installed program works.  Under the covers you could easily
>have broken half a dozen other applications.   I would rather have more work
>up front installing a new app than worry about what might break later.

See above.

>> Example:MusicMatchJukeBox a fine mp3/cd player burner etc. It is 4.57
>> meg compressed for the version I have. I click on it and it works.
>> Windows updates are the same can of soup.
>> My point is that I don't have to worry about any dependencies at all
>> and still the files are much smaller under Windows.
>>
>> In the past dll hell was a real problem and I don't deny that but
>> currently prompts are offered that allow choice of files to replace,
>> if any.
>>

>And then you have to know enough to make the right decision, if there even is
>a right decision.

Maybe I am lucky but I install A LOT of programs on my test system and
have NOT encountered a single problem.

>> I find updating Linux to be more often than not a hodge podge of
>> technospeak that requires an interpreter who speaks geek to translate.
>
>You must then be unable to program your VCR.
Why bother. There is nothing but PC garbage on TV anyway.

>   Installing an application on
>Linux is trivial.   I find it quite easy with Redhat.
Assuming you have all the dependencies, which is highly unlikely, it
is.
 > But, from what I
>understand, Debian is even easier since it will go out to the web and grab
>dependencies if you ask it to.

Sure it will 3.5 days later on a dialup connection. I can grab the
entire Windows update as well and spend an equally wasted amount of
time. Difference is I don't NEED the Win update in order to run
programs.

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED],net
Subject: Re: 11 Days Wasted ON Linux
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:51:32 GMT

Do you ever say anything Terry? Looks to me like you just try and
parrot the real Linvocates but to be honest you don't do nearly as
good a job. Study Mattius, Jedi and even Bilk to see how it is done.
You are a very poor student Terry. Maybe that's why you are a Porter.

BTW ever listen to "King Porter Stomp" by Jelly Roll Morten? You might
Like it.

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED],net
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:52:15 GMT

Here we go again......
Terry "The Porter"
Nothing to say in so many words.

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED],net
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:54:21 GMT

I'll send you an MP3 if you are interested....

Steve

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Glatt)
yet again)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 01:12:35 GMT

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>IBM generally tried to produce good products -- while M$ has focused on junk
>that looks good.

LOL! Yeah, Tophat was quite an impressive product. Too bad it got
jettisoned in favor of Microsoft OS/2