Linux-Advocacy Digest #733, Volume #25           Tue, 21 Mar 00 16:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Why this Linux swap id ? ("fysg")
  Re: Kernel 2.4 (Brian Langenberger)
  Re: Salary? (bill davidsen)
  Re: Windows 2000: nothing worse (abraxas)
  Re: Windows 2000: nothing worse (abraxas)
  Re: Why Linux on the desktop? (Leon Hanson)
  Re: I'm back!!! with reasons why U shouldn't use Linux... (john@servnospam)
  Re: Can I do this with Linux? (Leon Hanson)
  Re: I'm back!!! with reasons why U shouldn't use Linux...
  Re: How can use linux? debates (Leon Hanson)
  Re: I'm back!!! with reasons why U shouldn't use Linux... (Leon Hanson)
  Re: US politics (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Linux Virus Info Enclosed ("Drestin Black")
  Re: Gnome/Gnu programmers Suck.  -- Not a troll (Leon Hanson)
  Re: Windows 2000: nothing worse (nohow)
  Re: seeUthere.com switches from Linux to Windows DNA for Web site development
("Drestin Black")
  Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K ("Drestin Black")
  Re: seeUthere.com switches from Linux to Windows DNA for Web site development
("Drestin Black")
  Re: Why Linux on the desktop? ("fysg")
  Re: I don't want to stir up any concerns... ("Drestin Black")

From: "fysg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why this Linux swap id ?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:08:38 GMT

   I've known that Linux swap partition id is the same that Solaris for
Intel x86 uses, I'd like to know if it was first used by Linux or by
Solaris, I find it stupid using the same id anyway (except there are not
free ones).

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4
Date: 21 Mar 2000 19:14:58 GMT

Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: catch up...

Yeah, we'll be up to *BSD-caliber robustness soon at this rate.
Too bad Windows keeps falling further and further behind.

(look ma, I don't need to justify any of my statements either!
 what fun!)

: "Net Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:RJ7B4.62$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:>
:>    Why to move into 2.4 serie ? Isn't it too many hurry to do it ? Is
: Linux
:> falling into market tendences ? What the hell does it matter W2K is out ?
: I
:> thought kernels where bullet proof, and by 2.3.51, kernel I tested had
: some
:> bugs and a lot of EXPERIMENTAL code ... so why ?
:>
:>                                                 Net Walker.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Salary?
Date: 21 Mar 2000 19:21:32 GMT

In article <8a3bka$sje$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| The typical rate for UNIX administrators with a college degree
| and 1 year of experience is around $30K-$40K, depending on where
| you live.

  That may be the most important part, like real estate: "location,
location, location"

| If you can establish yourself as a "star performer", your company
| will do whatever it takes to keep you around.  If you make your boss
| look good, make your organization look good, and make your company
| look good, they will want to make you look good.
|
| A "star performer" can easily get offers of six figure incomes from
| multiple organizations.  Your employer knows this.  Hopefully, they
| will see that you are worth more to them as one of their employees
| than as someone working for a competitor, a supplier, or a customer.

  I don't think you will get that money anywhere but in a large city, at
least as an employee vs. contractor. And smaller companies can be more
flexible, providing telecommute days, extra vacation, travel or other
benefits instead of money. Don't knock quality of life, there's a reason
why people in NYC and LA have weekend places :-(

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  When taking small children to a carnival, always have them go potty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000: nothing worse
Date: 21 Mar 2000 19:38:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You didn't answer the question.  Hotmail runs on highly customized Solaris.
> You have no idea what they've implemented in user or kernel and what they've
> implemented in 64 bit.

The solaris implementation of 64 bit addressing and suchness is very useful
in very specific cases.  If you run a solaris-based email system, it is
immediately obvious exactly what would be useful running as 64bit.

>> > Parts of it most certainly are.  Certainly the I/O is.
>>
>> On the solaris machines therefore. What about the FreeBSD web servers?
>> They're running on Intel, why couldn't they have moved the web servers
>> to NT?

> How do you know they're running on Intel?

Because FreeBSD is x86 only.

> Even if they were,

They are.

You need to do some research.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 21 Mar 2000 19:42:36 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > And chmod is useless against root.  If you have root, you can do
> whatever to
>> > a file whether you intend to or not.  You cannot protect a file from
>> > accidental modification or delete from root without removing everyones
>> > ability to do so.
>>
>> alias rm='rm -i'

> rm -i is *NOT* a solution.  It's a pain in the ass.  I don't want to
> manually say yes or no to file deletes, I want files that I, as root, do not
> own but others do to not be effected by anything I do unless I specifically
> tell it to.

Then dont make a mistake.

> Who's talking about disaster?  I'm talking about simple typing mistakes.

I see.  UNIX is stupid because it allows carelessness to damage the system.

>> At least UNIX comes with sane file permissions in a default
>> installation....

> Depends on the distribution really.

There are no "distributions" of UNIX.  And file permissions on the important
bits are all pretty much the same.

Demonstrate that they arent.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leon Hanson)
Subject: Re: Why Linux on the desktop?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:51:41 GMT

On 12 Mar 2000 19:28:40 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry
Porter) wrote:

>>: Sort of like Sir Edmund Hillary about climbing a tall mountain: "Becuse
>>: it's there".
>>
>>That was Mallory (the one whose body was finally found last year). Sir
>>Ed is famous for saying that "We knocked the bastard off!".

Actually, that's quite correct. Hillary is credited with the phrase,
but it was already quite in use by the time he said it. And Mallory
was, infact, the first to use that particular phrase ("Because it's
there...").

>I do embedded design, user manuals, coding, flowcharting, net browsing
>emailing, news reading, graphics, mechanical design etc, all are in X.

<snip>

>I think the above demonstrates some reasons to use Linux on the Desktop ?

Okay. I do development (C++ / Java), fine art, 3D animation, graphic
design, and general web browsing.

I use Linux as a server, and NT 4 as my current desktop OS.

The Linux box is RedHat 6.1 installed on a PentiumPro 180MHz.
I occasionally launch GNOME just for fun. I find the RAM use for GNOME
to be a bit high (88MB+). On the other hand, my NT box is using 120MB
right now and all I have open is FreeAgent and a web browser. But I
expect a lot of that RAM usage is caching. And I have a gig of RAM, so
I don't much care....

I would very much like someone to convince me that I can nuke NT off
this dual Xeon and install Linux and be happy. I need:

1. A *serious* paint program (preferably as feature rich but far more
stable than Painter 6). Needs to be able to read my old .psd files. I
know I won't be able to use GeniuneFractals and that does suck....but
if the paint program works very, very well in a gig of RAM....

2. A *serious* photo package (PhotoShop style). I'm sorry --- I've
tried GIMP and it doesn't fit the bill, yet. Not performance wise,
anyway.

3. Office applications. If you suggest ApplixWare I am going to shoot
you with a very stinky fart. That thing is goddamned hideous. I'd like
to be able to read/write MSWord docs (you know --- to be "compatible"
with the file format that is Windows ;-)

4. Accounting / Financial applications that allow me to export the
data in a manner my accountant can use (QIF etc).

5. A damn good 3D app. I expect I can run Lightwave on there...I
haven't tried yet. I only have Lightwave for NT.

6. RIP software for the Roland HiFi Jet. I'm certain I am 100%
shit-outta-luck on this one. But I could build a separate NT box to
serve as my print server if I had to. (I'd love to write my own
RIP...but you know........)

7. A better web browser than Netscape on Linux. Ugh. I also think I am
SOL here (don't suggest Lynx, please).

So the question which is the subject of this thread..."Why Linux on
the desktop?" What motivates *me* to look for Linux on my desktop?

1. I want to see what a Unix-like OS can do for me, performance-wise,
compared to NT.

2. I want the stability I see in my Linux server on my desktop. That
said, however, I do find NT incredibly stable. At least on this
machine.

3. I don't much like MS. 'Suppose I could go with Apple...but I don't
like that solution either.

4. I like the development tools on Linux. A *real* bash shell, perl,
python, Apache / mod_perl, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.

No other good reasons.

------------------------------

From: john@servnospam
Subject: Re: I'm back!!! with reasons why U shouldn't use Linux...
Date: 21 Mar 2000 11:03:13 -0800

>>4. Netscape is owned by AOL

I have question on this.

Why is it in the Unix/Linux version of Netscape, it will not do
URL completion for you? on windows, when I start typing a URL
in netscape, and I have vistied that URL before, it automatically
auto-complets for me.

Is there something about Linux/Unix that makes this feature
impossible to implement? it seems like a simple lookup hashtable
for me.

john

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leon Hanson)
Subject: Re: Can I do this with Linux?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:09:27 GMT

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 14:34:32 -0800, Jeremy Randall
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Have you looked at MySQL.  Great open source database [manager], used on
>sites like freshmeat.net.  Run it with Apache, Perl (and the appropriate
>modules) and you could build a web-front end for your users.

I second that.

And PostgreSQL has transactions, if you need it. But I think 4-10
users can be handled by MySQL using table locking.

I personally hate MSAccess. Haven't tried MS SQLServer. But MySQL
seems to be a *real* database server for this kind of task.

For the GUI, I would think Apache / mod_perl would be a good
combination. Or you could use Tcl/Tk.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: 21 Mar 2000 20:16:41 GMT

In article <8b8h1h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, john@servnospam wrote:

>Why is it in the Unix/Linux version of Netscape, it will not do
>URL completion for you? on windows, when I start typing a URL
>in netscape, and I have vistied that URL before, it automatically
>auto-complets for me.
Probably because most Unix/Linux users don't like this anyway I don't like
it at all. When I'm forced to use Windows at the Uni I hate having this
automatic completion stuff becuase it gives me typos when you type fast.

--
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28                  http://www.double-barrel.be/mvergall/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leon Hanson)
Subject: Re: How can use linux? debates
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:17:23 GMT

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:10:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In article <NdBB4.4254$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>I really don't care what the Linux developers do to "MSify" Linux.  As
>long as they retain the option for me to make it look the way _I_ want
>it to look.  And that may or may not include looking like MS products.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

And the ability to customize keybindings and every other aspect of the
user interface to my heart's content.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leon Hanson)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:21:43 GMT

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:08:43 GMT, "fysg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> 12. Beos is about to release 5

>   I do not know that OS, is it free ?

Beginning with version 5.0, yes.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: US politics
Date: 21 Mar 2000 20:26:21 GMT

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:57:50 -0500, DGF wrote:
>India and Israel.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall reading that to
>immigrate to Japan and be a Japanese citizen you need a Japanese surname.

Basically true. Women can get citizenship if they marry a Japanese, men can't.
( though they can get working permission ). Here's the kicker -- being born
in Japan doesn't get you citizenship iirc.

>I find it interesting how you liberals condemn the

Hey, I'm one of "you liberals" and I condemned no such thing. I agree that
America is one of the worlds most generous countries wrt immigration ( the
only developed countries that come close are Australia and Canada )

You are arguing with straw men.

>billion new immigrants.    You would want the government to raise taxes to
>95% to redistribute wealth

Again, this is a straw man. Not all "liberals" want to do this.

>of 1.3billion and growing.  You would insist we needed mandatory birth
>control and mandatory abortions

If I recall correctly, it's the conservatives who want to use force when
it comes to birth control.

> as well as draconian environmental >regulations.

Suffice it to say that the air is not private property, and it's everyone's
business what you do with it.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Virus Info Enclosed
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:21:25 -0500

"Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Drestin Black wrote:
>
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8auogt$g57$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > su == su root (at least for the past fifteen years on all the *nix
> > > systems I've been cursed with....)
> >
> > ouch - well, you'll find that you and I are the ONLY people in the
universe
> > who seem to know that this is the case on many other systems other than
> > Linux. Or at least was for some time...
>
> You really have to learn to read, Drestin.   su == su root because typing
su
> without a userid defaults to root.   That doesn't change the fact that you
can
> use su to switch to any userid and quite often that is exactly what is
done.

no, I know that - I was just making fun of the past silliness...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leon Hanson)
Subject: Re: Gnome/Gnu programmers Suck.  -- Not a troll
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:34:23 GMT

On 21 Mar 2000 00:42:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David
Steinberg) wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>: Try installing Gnome some time. You need 20 or so packages not to
>: mention all the different pre-reqs for each one, You could easily
>: spend half a day just figuring out what you have and don't have.
>
>Oh please.  RPMs are too easy for words!  I've been doing all of my
>installations via RPM, when I can find the packages, and building from
>source when I can't.  I have had exactly ZERO problems.
>
>When I attempt to install a package and get a failed dependancy, there's a
>really good chance that whatever it requires is sitting on my RedHat
>CDROM.  If not, I just look at the page I downloaded it from, and, WITHOUT
>EXCEPTION, I have found a link to the required package.

And I have found this resource quite useful:

http://rpmfind.doc.ic.ac.uk/index.html

------------------------------

From: nohow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:39:07 -0800

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:47:17 -0600, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Paul Jakma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > Yes, 64 bit NT will coincide with the release of Merced.
>>
>> I'll believe that /if/ it happens. Note that Linux IA64 support has
>> already been included in stock linux. :)
>
>And likely to change.  IA64 only runs in simulation right now.
>
>> > Differences in memory models for one.  They'd have to take advantage of
>VLM
>> > extensions in NT4 and Win2k, while 64 bit would be flat model.
>>
>> hotmail had done fine up till now with 32bit address space. Why would it
>> suddenly need more memory on NT/W2k?
>
>And how do you know that it runs in 32 bit address space under Solaris?
>
>> > Different
>> > device drivers (for file store and TCP/IP), and plenty of other
>differences.
>>
>> why would the applications that constitute hotmail need to worry about
>> device drivers?
>
>Because the device drivers are part of the entire application.  Hotmail
>could not function as efficiently as it does without Hotmails custom
>drivers.
>
>> > And how do you know what they've implemented in the kernel and what they
>> > haven't?
>>
>> i don't follow solaris much, but it's public knowledge.. Sol 2.4 was
>> 32bit kernel/32 bit userspace, 2.51 or perhaps was 2.6 was 64bit kernel
>> with only support for 32bit userspace. I believe the forthcoming Sol 8
>> will be fully 64bit.
>
>You didn't answer the question.  Hotmail runs on highly customized Solaris.
>You have no idea what they've implemented in user or kernel and what they've
>implemented in 64 bit.

Can you detail this *high* customization?  Do you have any idea what
they've implemented in user or kernel? Do you have any idea what

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: seeUthere.com switches from Linux to Windows DNA for Web site development
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:22:12 -0500

"Mr. Rupert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Drestin Black wrote:
> >
> > "Mr. Rupert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >

> > > Drestin dear boy, think for a minute what the above URL contains...
> > > It contains the domain, 'microsoft.com'.
> > >
> > > I will hand you this, you are the laziest corporate shill fudster
> > > I have ever come across on USENET.
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > So, the facts are accurate but you are taking me to task because I was
lazy
> > and didn't wait for this to be reposted elsewhere and give that URL. I
can
> > live with that.
>

> I wouldn't know whether the facts are accurate or not since I have not,
and
> will not, read MS sites for information.
>
> Although, there are two MS sites I do like:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/dancing_baloney/
> http://www.microsoft.com/smoke_n_mirrors/

Sorry, there is no microsoft.com Web page matching your request.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:26:48 -0500

"Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8b6hol$gl0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy 5X3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> _AND_ a highly scriptable command line (CScript, JScript, VBScript,
> :> REXX, Python, Perl, the list goes on...).
>
> : And this is different from linux how?
>

> To the best of my knowledge, that useless, type-unsafe, unstable,
> buggy, and wretched abomination of a "language" called VBScript - a
> "language" that makes even the real Visual Basic look elegant by
> comparison - has not yet been ported to Linux.
>
> (Note: if I'm wrong about that, please don't tell me - I really and
> truly don't want to know.)

that part in ()s - there is the true sign of a true linvocate... only hear
what you wanna hear...

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:26:12 -0500

"horst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:BSAB4.19253$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> check out slashdot today, or the new york times business front page...
> Gerstner himself is behind a unified linux strategy, although I doubt they
> will abandon Aix, they are certainly emphasizing linux much more and
predict
> that it will become the predominant os in about 5 years.

which I'm sure is why they have installed over 50,000 copies of Windows 2000
already.. hmm...

------------------------------

From: "fysg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:44:31 GMT

   In fact, almost every person will need some Windows application, that's
because in an intranet one should have at least one Windows client (NT WK,
2K Pro or W98). Perhaps if you do have a strange printer you may then want
to serve printer with NT/W2K Server ... but everything else could (dare I to
say should ?) run on Linux, I mean, other clients, Internet software, file
serving and of course firewalling.

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I don't want to stir up any concerns...
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:28:03 -0500