Linux-Advocacy Digest #733, Volume #33           Fri, 20 Apr 01 18:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: What is 99 percent of copyright law? was Re: Richard Stallman (Isaac)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (LinuxBear)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:9 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
  Re: New directions for kernel development ("Igor Shmukler")
  Re: Communism
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being  downloaded?
("Richard")
  Re: What's the point (Roy Culley)
  Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure (Roy Culley)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Bill Todd")
  Re: Ctrl-Alt-Windows (Dave Martel)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Chad Everett)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM (Craig Kelley)
  Re: What's the point (Roy Culley)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Roy Culley)
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company (Roy Culley)
  Re: What's the point (Roy Culley)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Isaac)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: What is 99 percent of copyright law? was Re: Richard Stallman
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:54:39 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:27:03 GMT, Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I thought that it's common for defendants to counter-sue for legal fees.
>But I wonder: would a case like this be a civil or criminal case?
>Copyright infringement has aspects of both.

Not really.  There are situations where you can get legal fees, but
generally you counter-sue for damages caused by the party suing you.
Your damages do not include your legal fees.

I suspect in a case like this, only the civil case would ever be
pursued.  I'm not sure that there was any alleged violation of any
criminal statute was triggered, but I don't see any attorney general
being the least bit interested in going after RIPEM.

Isaac

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LinuxBear)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:13:59 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:09:24 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> allan wrote:
>>
>> Just cool down here guys.  This is supposed to be "support" newsgroup
>>

> What the fuck are you talking about?
>
> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642

you are charming as always, Aaron

--

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Arthur C. Clarke

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LinuxBear

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:21:27 +0200 (CEST)

Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> minced:
> Nomen Nescio wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey) eeped:

> > > We should just count ourselves lucky we don't have you as an advocate...
> >
> > i don't do advocacy dimwit
> >
> > > you're getting far too wound up for usenet, it's not that important, take a
> > > few valium and relax. It'll all seem better in the morning.
> >
> > you write like a homosexual
> >                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
> Now that wasn't called for

people will say you're in love

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:22:01 +0200 (CEST)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey) paused from prancing about in frilly
undergarments long enough to stick a gerbil in his bum and write:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nomen Nescio
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> you're getting far too wound up for usenet, it's not that important, take a
> >> few valium and relax. It'll all seem better in the morning.
> >
> >you write like a homosexual
>
> You write like someone who doubts their sexuality, it's normally the ones in
> the closet who go around calling everyone else homosexual.

that's something homosexuals say
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:9 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:30:08 GMT

   Rob> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

   snip>

   >> > She's not just cheap...
   >> > she's easy, too.
   >> > :-)
   >>
   >> I suppose as a life long Democrat I ought to know what the going rate
   >> for a vote is, but...  Should that have been one carton per vote?

   Rob>   If you switch your vote to Libertarian I think you get a joint and a
   Rob> package of Twinkies. At least that's what I've heard,... from people I
   Rob> hardly even know, really.

Damn, and all I got was a good feeling.

I do remember our GOP Senator candidate telling me all the liberatarians
wanted was free dope.

But I did not believe him.  He is a liar.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

------------------------------

From: "Igor Shmukler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: New directions for kernel development
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:33:09 GMT

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Hi all <blah.blah.blah>
> ------------
>
> Besides the quote from Linus - I question that he wrote the diatribe - but
> much of which was written can be seen in as originating in the university
> subcultures of the uncouth claiming to be intellectual mystics.  Many of
the
> divergent philosophies and morally deplorable trappings have made their
> appearances throughout our technocultures since the 60s.
>
> What both Linux and I decry is the promiscuous promulgation of prostituted
> morality and ethics, and to mention uncleanliness of manners and dress.
> We would hope that the open-source community would take pride in the
better
> things in life and bring this uplifted attitude toward our endeavors. We
do
> not like the fruits of our labours being dragged through the trenches of
> debauchery, profanity, and immorality, but would prefeer to see them
proffered
> by caring souls to enlighten the communies of intellectual thinkers and
> problem solvers.

That's many words, but idea is a little slim. You too want to tell people
how to dress. Well, tell it to your kids.

> Many of our corporate bretheren, not barried in the code trenches, but
> responsible for business, finance, and welfare of masses, see significant
> value in products that are presented with dignity. This means that we may
> need to scrub our demeanor and manners and adorn our attire with
cleanliness,
> and the accouterments of respect in order to enhance the dignity and
acclaim
> of our endeavors.
>
> Instead of - Me Too - and likewise thinking , prepare yourselves for a
> change in culture that is required for success in a new age as our labours
> go from obscurity and have to survive in a world of scrutiny and
> visibility. This world is new to many of you and offers little refuge
> for those unwilling to put on cleaner robes.
>
> I am an enthusiastic supporter of the Linux operating system, the GNU
> and open-source unrestricted development philosophies, but perceptions
> need to be improved if our labours are to be embrased by the larger
> world outside of our cloistered computer cathederals and virtual
> realities.

As far as support of open source, I am happy to know that we can count on
guys like you.
If some people have not pulled resources back in the day. RMS would have
finished Hurd by now. But instead it's stuck in Debian's burocracy.
Sometimes best thing to do is just leave it alone. Not that it has anything
to do with anyone.

At least BSD people have some ideas behind words. You lost me here, and
Linus most many in his OS.

> Sincerely,
> Steven J. Hathaway

PS sorry, it's been a few days, but I'm just getting tired of lamers telling
what to wear or like.

alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:35:07 GMT

   Aaron> Rob Robertson wrote:

   snip>

   Aaron> Hall changed disagree to agree
   >>
   >> There you have it Mr. Robertson, a point blank lie from
   >> Mr. Kulkis.  Note that even if I were as dishonest as Mr.
   >> Kulkis, I would have had no motive to forge his words, as
   >> he was the only one to benefit from the forgery (it covered
   >> up his stupid inability to read his own words).
   >>
   >> I consider my point proven.
   >>
   >> Kulkis is a liar.

   Rob>  I've marked all his posts as 'read' in the newsgroup as
   Rob> I don't find any value in anything he has to say anymore.

I should probably do the same, using the same arguments I have
given you for ignoring Yeadon, but I will keep an eye on him
for at least entertainment value.

And occasionally he posts worthwhile things.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 20 Apr 2001 20:37:40 GMT

Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey) paused from prancing about in frilly
>undergarments long enough to stick a gerbil in his bum and write:

>> >you write like a homosexual
>>
>> You write like someone who doubts their sexuality, it's normally the ones in
>> the closet who go around calling everyone else homosexual.
>
>that's something homosexuals say

Only insecure people care about others' tastes.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being  downloaded?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:37:58 +0100

Wow I'm downloading it on a 56k am I mad? possibly! I started on Tuesday
morning got the fist cd yesterday at about mid day now I am on the second cd
and it should be complete sometime tommorow.  Doesn't cost anything and its
no hassle just start the download and leave the computer on.
news:9bplpt$qf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:26:53 +0200

        Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> <snype>
>> >>
>> > What an excellent post, COLA is all the better for it, I think B'ichela
>> > has captured the spirit of adventure/learning and persistence, that leads
>> > one to succeed in the face of numerous difficulties.
>> >
>> > If I wore a hat, i'd take it off to this lady :)
>>
>> Well if she were to come to Switzerland I'd offer her a job. Think about
>> it, great country, excellent standard of living and Unix people can name
>> their price.
> Just looked through the local paper today at jobs in Wellington:
>
> UNIX, UNIX, UNIX, UNIX, JAVA, UNIX, Lotus Notes, C/C++ UNIX, Linux/UNIX.
>
> Salaries ranging from 65K up to 120K.  Great standard of living, cheap,
> clean and green country and a woman as a prime minister, what more can a
> person ask for?

But being down under most live sporting events happen when you are
snugly sleeping in bed. Thats too big a sacrifice for me. Other than
that NZ sounds like a great place.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:12:28 +0200

        "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> OT prediction:.
>
> The coming U.S./China war will last 12 days. China will be bombed into the
> stone age and there will be 1000 years of peace.

You really are a pillock. The US tried bombing vietnam and cambodia and
failed miserably. Now lets see how much bigger is china than these
little countries? If it was anyone else I would assume this was tongue
in cheek but I really think you are serious. Pillock indeed.

------------------------------

From: "Bill Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:07:13 -0400

"Joe Pfeiffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Webmaster) writes:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:10:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(The Ghost
> > In The Machine) wrote:
> >
> > >allows it to use a proper file system, like reiserfs, xfs, or
> >
> > Isn't xfs the X Font Server?
>
> It's also SGI's journalling file system.  See
> http://www.sgi.com/software/xfs/

Well, at the risk of being picky, I think it's usually referred to as XFS.
Which helps differentiate it from the mid-'90s experimental Berkeley (I
think) file system xFS.  Or for that matter apparently from xfs.

These are differences that Unix types ought to appreciate, though some of
the rest of us may think they're silly.

- bill

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Ctrl-Alt-Windows
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:20:29 -0600

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:41:46 -0400, "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Brian Langenberger posted:
>> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy Roy Culley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> >: PC keyboards are crap full stop. Here I am typing on my Sun type-5
>> >: keyboard on a PC running linux. A mate built the adapter and it
>> >: works like a dream. Sun keyboards are second to none IMHO simply
>> >: because they have that wonderful keypad on the left.
>> >
>> >Or, for $60(US), get a nice Sun Type 6 keyboard with USB:
>> >
>> >http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml?catid=32807
>>
>> IBM still made a keyboard w/out the Windows keys on it a couple
>> of years ago when I went hunting for one. However, it turned out
>> to cost $54 dollars so I decided I could coexist with Microsoft
>> keys on my keyboard.
>
>Your shopping in the wrong place. My IBM keyboard doesn't have a windows
>key, and  the keys actually "click" when I press them. Sticker on the bottom
>says 30-NOV-93. Cost was $1.00 at a trade show and it works perfectly.

Thrift store, guys. The ones around here have mountains of old AT
keyboards for a few bucks apiece. For about $20 I've socked away a
lifetime supply of genuine IBM AT keyboards, with the control and
function-keys where God intended them.

Just watch the labels because a many old XT keyboards look exactly the
same and use the same connector, but the pinout is different.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 16:31:00 -0500

On 20 Apr 2001 18:40:28 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Murder is by definition unlawful. Therefore, if you say killing at war
>is not unlawful, the alleged lawfulness of the killing is sufficient
>cause for the killing not to be murder.

It's a miracle!  Robert knows what murder is!  Hallelujah!

P.S.  God asked me to say "hi" to you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 20 Apr 2001 21:39:59 GMT

Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 20 Apr 2001 18:40:28 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Murder is by definition unlawful. Therefore, if you say killing at war
>>is not unlawful, the alleged lawfulness of the killing is sufficient
>>cause for the killing not to be murder.
>
>It's a miracle!  Robert knows what murder is!  Hallelujah!

Whoa. You surely are logic impaired.
I am not asking you and bill what definition of murder *I* use.
I know only some facets of the definitions you two use, and one seems
to be that murder is against the law.

However, that is not enough to know what murder means to you.

Perhaps you can just solve it by telling me what murder is.
Maybe even billh will agree!

You know, the "real" meaning of murder, the one you use when
you say god told you "you should not murder".

>P.S.  God asked me to say "hi" to you.

The worse part is that you could not be joking.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: 20 Apr 2001 15:41:10 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am just so tired of XEmacs. It crashes all the time.

I've been using it for years, and it has never EVER crashed on me.  I
even use the latest beta editions (especially GNUS).

> It does not have drag and drop support.

True, but who cares?  It doesn't have to behave like Windows in order
to be good.  If I want to include a file I just go File->Insert File
(or M-x insert-file).

> Lisp is next to impossible to learn. I have to type basillions
> of stupid keystrokes to get the most trivial tasks accomplished.

:)  No arguement there; but with XEmacs you really don't need to know
even a little bit of lisp (try selecting the Options menu from above).

> My left wrist is hurting from hitting C- and ESC- keys constantly.

My wrist hurts if I have to jump back and forth to the mouse very
often.  (and VIM liberally uses the escape key as well)

> I have recently discovered VIM, a great programmers' editor
> (www.vim.org). All keystrokes are easy and fast, everything works,
> it creates backup files and so on. I am switching.

VIM's great and all, but XEmacs can do so much more.  If you don't
want it to do more, that's understandable.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:13:25 +0200

        "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Apr 21, 2001 at 00:58, Matthew Gardiner eloquently wrote:
>
>><snype>

>>> Well if she were to come to Switzerland I'd offer her a job. Think about
>>> it, great country, excellent standard of living and Unix people can name
>>> their price.
>>Just looked through the local paper today at jobs in Wellington:
>>
>>UNIX, UNIX, UNIX, UNIX, JAVA, UNIX, Lotus Notes, C/C++ UNIX, Linux/UNIX.
>>
>>Salaries ranging from 65K up to 120K.  Great standard of living, cheap,
>>clean and green country and a woman as a prime minister, what more can a
>>person ask for?
> Margaret Thatcher for PM maybe?

She was the reason I got out of the UK (well that's what I like to say
when people ask). I wouldn't wish Maggie on any country. It is only because
the British people are so placid (it came very close to rebellion at times
during her premiership) that they allowed her to do what she did.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:10:49 +0200

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk) writes:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:40:02 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Webmaster) wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:10:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost
>>In The Machine) wrote:
>>
>>>allows it to use a proper file system, like reiserfs, xfs, or
>>
>>Isn't xfs the X Font Server?
>>
> Gees.
> Go to the sgi web site and look it up.
> And you call yourself a "webmaster"?

And what is the connection between saying you are a webmaster and not
knowing that there is a filesystem from sgi with the same name as a
font server? Pillock.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:08:06 +0200

In article <E10E6.3918$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Roy Culley wrote:
>
>> As PG has stated on numerous occasions he isn't looking for help. He
>> just wants to point out how crap any Linux distribution is. The problems
>> are clearly somewhere between the keyboard and the chair.
>
> That is _not_ what I'm about. Please don't put words into my mouth.

I didn't put words in your mouth. You replied to a previous post of mine
where I suggested you look for help in the appropriate places. You replied
that you weren't looking for help. I remember you saying the same thing
in another thread in reply to someone else.

As I said, the problem is somewhere between the keyboard and the chair.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:50:40 +0200

        "spicerun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I agree totally. I'm no redhat fan because I prefer debian and suse but
>> the flack thrown at redhat is absurd.
>
> Gee Thanks!  Remind me to call your opinions 'flak' sometime in the
> future.  I would have hoped you'd noticed that my 'flak' could be a
> legitimate complaint from a user who has/and is using Redhat for years. I
> recognize that the majority of my complaints are 'nitpicks', but I'm not
> happy that 'nitpicks' 1.  Cost me more time than usual, and 2.  I can't
> pick up the thousands of HOWTOs and other documents to install an
> application or feature that should work with any linux distribution, only
> to find after it didn't work that I had to locate a Redhat addendum to
> make yet another tweak to get the feature/application to work.

Don't mention it and thanks for 'correcting' my spelling. Anyone running
RehHat is in a far better position for installing apps because there
are RedHat rpm's available for almost every app version upgrade that
comes out. The reason I gave up on SuSE is because new SuSE rpm's for
later versions are very slow to appear. No problem if the app isn't
distro specific but many times it is. Until Linux has a unified file
system structure and standardised boot sequence this problem will exist.
In the majority of cases you don't need to refer to HOWTO's for most
Linux apps. You are just exagerating.

>> They must be doing something right
>> if they are the dominant linux distro. And, as has been stated many
>> times, what they do develop for linux is openly available to anyone
>> including their competitors. I've always been disappointed that suse
>> don't follow this example, yast being the most obvious example.
>
> My wish is that all applications would be more standard to how Linux does
> things.  As it is, Linux is largely standard, IMO, but the variations are
> *extremely* annoying.  Why pick on Redhat?  1.  I know it better than the
> other distros, and 2.  They seem to have more of the publicized 'tweaks'
> then everybody else (I've yet to see a HOWTO having to contain debian or
> suse tweaks...I'm sure they're out there though.).

Most commercial applications for Linux choose a distro or two that they
say they support. I can understand this but I think if they spent a little
more time trying to be distro independant then it would be much easier
to install on most Linux distro's. At this moment in time I would suggest
they forget about using a particular package manager (rpm, deb, whatever)
and make their installation as distro independant as possible. Of course
if Linux would adopt a single standard package manager then that would
solve so many problems. I've used rpm and deb and deb is far superior.
The bad news is that the most popular Linux distro's, RedHat, Mandrake,
SuSE, use rpm. Alien does a fair job of solving this. Red-carpet takes
it a bit further by hiding this from the user. Perhaps that is the way to
go.

> I happen to think Debian is almost the 'gold standard' of Linux
> distributions, and I intend to be running it hopefully after July.  I'll
> find out for sure then.

I avoided Debian for a long time because I just can't handle dselect. I
then bought Storm Linux from Stormix and it was a dream to install. Sadly,
it looks like Stormix isn't going to survive. I'm playing with Progeny
RC2 (they have officially released Progeny now) but it isn't as slick as
Stormix from an installation point of view yet. The biggest problem with
Debian is upgrading parts of your current distro. Once a Debian version
is released that's it (apart from a few updates and security fixes). You
either wait for the next stable release or start installing from the
testing and unstable versions. Debian must reduce the distro level
granularity and provide frequent updates to packages in the stable
release while the testing and unstable versions are being developed. All
that aside I will remain using Debian from now on. If I really need
the latest version of an app I will build it from source. This isn't a
good solution however if Linux is to be adopted by your average PC user.