From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Peter Norton is one smart dude
Date: 27 Mar 2000 20:19:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "abraxas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8bnqg8$n6l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> higher)
>>
>> > Neat.  Now its just like MacOS 7.5.1.
>>
>> Oh, and BeOS DR3.0, IRIX and Purgatory/Inferno.
>>
>> Catch up microsoft!  Catch up!  Tell us you invented it!  We'll believe you!

> Do you have some kind of problem, abraxas? All I said was that it had it,
> I never (nor did Microsoft) claimed that it was some kind of miracle.

How dare you address me directly, you goddamned tool.

> W. Kiernan asked, I replied.

This is a public newsgroup, this is a public thread, these are public posts.

How many times has this been explained to you, you goddamned pinheaded freak?

> Perhaps you should go back on the medicine.

Perhaps you should stop reusing lines, especially MY lines that I used on YOU
in the FIRST place, you retarded sack of dead rats.

Dont you know me, boy?

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 27 Mar 2000 20:20:05 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "abraxas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8bnq94$n6l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Of course! <grin>
>>
>> > NTFS 5 (which is implemented in Windows2000 and read by NT 4.0 SP4 and
> higher)
>> > has a change journal.
>>
>> Neat.  Now its just like MacOS 7.5.1.

> Eh ?  Since when was HFS journalled ?

HFS and HFS+, since the invention of the dynamically updated desktop file.  It is
a journaled filesystem in the strictest sense of the term.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:21:53 GMT

On 27 Mar 2000 14:57:29 -0500, Mark Hamstra
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> As I understand it, a Journaling File System has a log that it keeps
>> of all changes to the filesystem.
>
>[...]
>
>> Am I missing something here?
>
>Yes.  Journaling File System does not imply data logging.  In other
>words, a filesystem that logs just the metadata to a journal is
>a Journaling File System.  A filesystem that logs the data as well
>as the metadata is, of course, also a Journaling File System, and
>has some advantages and performance differences as compared to a
>JFS implementation that only logs metadata.
>
>NTFS has always been a metadata logging JFS, and NTFS5 is now also
>a data logging JFS.

O.K., thanks. Is that the reason why, after crashes, my FAT
drives take much longer to go through the file system check
than NTFS drive (they are the same size) ?

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I don't want to stir up any concerns...
Date: 27 Mar 2000 20:40:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Trevor Fuson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: W. Kiernan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> Matt Chiglinsky wrote:
:> >
:> But I could put up with that ugly-as-a-dog interface with relatively few
:> complaints, if only they had "reveal codes" and a documented file
:> format.  Butn Microsoft will never open their data format, because it's
:> part of their long-term strategy to keep the customers in the dark, and
:> to hold their data hostage, as much as possible.

: Word has the option of view all non-printed characters.  The "reveal codes"
: option is a necessity in Word Perfect because of the quagmire of codes
: required to do basic formatting.  Without reveal codes Word Perfect
: documents can be rendered useless because of hidden codes which cannot be
: fixed without seeing them.

: Word on the other hand doesn't have this problem, so the feature is
: unnecessary.

: Documented File Format?  You mean Rich Text Format?
: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/specs/rtfspec.htm

You must be joking.  Word and WordPerfect are equal capable of
generating garbled formatting just by their pointy-clicky nature
(assuming the modern version of each).  The difference is that
in WordPerfect, I at least have a chance to eliminate the
offending formatting and restore my document to a usable state.

As for Word, I have yet to meet someone who *hasn't* had a
problem with it.  The secretaries are accustomed to retyping
whole documents when a certain bit of formatting becomes
unremovable.  The same document printed to two different
printers (using the same sized paper) won't come out the same,
causing all sorts of page numbering fun.  I've seen Word
generate two inch long sections of blank space in the middle
of pages that were un-erasable by any means.  And that's
not counting the macro viruses.  The boss, once an Office
junkie, now swears by FrameMaker exclusively for his word
processing.

Near as I can tell, Word is optimized for writing high school
book reports.  It's difficult to fix, generates unportable
documents and is hard to use for anything nontrivial.
WordPerfect is no marvel of engineering either, but it can't
possibly be any worse.

Being faced with both was enough to make me swear off using
WYSI[all]YG word processers altogether.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Penquins Forever!  Was (Re: A pox on the penguin?)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:04:27 +0200

It was the Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:44:59 GMT...
...and Robert Heininger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 01:00:33 +0200,
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Matthias Warkus' wrote:
>

> >: It was the Sun, 26 Mar 2000 02:17:46 GMT...
> >: ...and ax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >: >
> >: > "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >: > news:8b62hc$g8p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >: > > BTW, little known facts about penquins.
> >: > >
> >: > > Penquins are quite clumsy on land.
> >: > >
> >: > > But in the sea, penquins fly like birds when they swim.
> >: > >
> >: >
> >: > But in Linux,  all penguins are lazy sitting with round belly.
> >: > They cannot walk or fly. They cannot even stand up
> >: > with fat belly.  Linux penguins must have been eating
> >: > too much "free" stuff.
> >:
> >: Ever played "Tux the Penguin: A Quest For Herring"? The Linux penguin
> >: can indeed run, jump and swim. Maybe even fly.
>

> Is that a Linux game? Playstion's and Dreamcast's are for playing games, not
> computers. Why even bother, if it is?

Your lack of clue is cute[0], but your cute signature lacks clue.

A five-line Figlet signature! Jesus Christ!

> --
> Robert Heininger          __
>                    #     / /    __  _  _  _  _ __  __   #
>                    #    / /__  / / / \// //_// \ \/ /   #
>                    #   /____/ /_/ /_/\/ /___/  /_/\_\   #
>                    #  The Choice of the GNU Generation  #

mawa

[0] Hint hint: Consoles such as the Playstation or the Dreamcast *are*
computers.
--
Belegesammler!
Preisvergleicher!

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why did we even need NT in the first place?
Date: 27 Mar 2000 20:44:30 GMT

Robert Heininger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[SNIP]

: Similar isn't true for the idiot at Comp-USA tho', who tried to lecture me
: about how my BIOS might not be able to recognize large media a few weeks ago.
: Jeez, you're using Linux, you better be careful d00d! : he says. Give me a
: `Fn' break already will ya, and go get a *REAL* job somewhere!  Sheez!

You'd think, for a moment, that the reason said CompUSA employee would
have said what he/she did, was because they were assuming that Linux needs
LBA in order to correctly determine a fixed disk's geometry (AFAIK, no
UNIX variant depends on LBA mode for large media), as Windows9x operating
systems do.

But what's sad, is that they are typically clueless about Windows
environments as well, so that theory goes out the door immediately.
--
.-----.
|[_] :| Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount
| =  :| "Humans have the potential to become irrational... perhaps
|     |  you should attempt to access that part of your psyche."
|_..._|                    -- Lieutenant Commander Data

------------------------------

From: "Branimir Maksimovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Open Software Reliability
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:35:38 +0200

> mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Lastly, the idea that one can "institute and enforce" demanding quality
> : standards is a joke. It can't happen. One has to be a good software
> : engineer to recognize bad code, it had NOTHING to do with coding
> : standards or any other non-sense that passes for management, it has to
> : do with how you construct your algorithms, how you access data in a
> : loop, etc. For instance:
>
> : /* A bad function */
> : void testfunction(struct yy *xx)
> : {
> : int t = xx->count; /* Save count */
>
> : xx->sum = xx->value; /* Get first value */
>
> : while(xx->count--) /* Loop until done */
> : xx->sum += xx->sum;
>
> : xx->count = t; /* Restore count */
> : }
>
> : The above functions is bad code, although no coding standard or quality
> : suite can tell you why. I have seen code like that in the real world,
> : really!

No, above function is almost good code (there is no point to keep unsigned
value in integer, fortunately choice was  count--), for bad solution.
Another issue is efficiency. If you have declared unsigned t and use it like
counter, last line would be unneccesseary which means one operation
( memory to memory, probably via intermediate register load) would be
avoided.

> : int testfunction(struct yy *xx)
> : {
> : xx->sum = (1<<xx->count)*xx->value;
> : }
>
> : The is the equivalent functionality done "right."

Nope. This exploit's undefined behavior in every case except when
sizeof(byte)*sizeof(1) > xx->count.
Result will vary from compiler to compiler and platform to platform.
This function will not work as expected, so this is bad code for good
solution.
P.S. I can't figure out why do you need left-shift operator anyway,
 am I missing something?

                         exploits distribution of +,*
x+x+................+x   ==   x*(1+1+...............+1)  ==  x*count
=======================               ======================
         count times                   count times

This is from C++ standard (although, logically, same hardware
works under C, too)
"
[expr.shift] 5.8 Shift operators
1 The shift operators << and >> group left-to-right.
shift-expression:
additive-expression
shift-expression << additive-expression
shift-expression >> additive-expression
The operands shall be of integral or enumeration type and integral
promotions are performed. The type of
the result is that of the promoted left operand. The behavior is undefined
if the right operand is negative, or
greater than or equal to the length in bits of the promoted left operand.
"

Finally, MHO is that open source projects are better,
because they don't have to hide anything.... and there is
a freedom of contribution and exchange of knowledge.
So I will start to write some apps for it.

Greetings, Bane.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Giving up on NT (Bob shows his lack of knowledge yet again)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:07:43 GMT

Nonnaho writes:

>>> Yet another pontification.

>> Namely yours, given that you cannot read my mind.

>>> The abuse that caused the university to reprimand you not to post your
>>> nonsense to COOA from the university's facilities,

>> What alleged abuse, Glatt?  What alleged reprimand, Glatt?  Classic
>> circular reasoning.

> Why don't you just answer the question so this thread could end, did
> the U of H stop you from posting to COOA from their computers?

Obviously not, given my continued postings to this forum from that
account.

>>> which is why you now have to use RoadRunner.

>> Liar.  I do not have to use RoadRunner.

> That's right, you can use any other ISP.  But can you post from
> the University of Hawaii?

Obviously I can, given my continued postings to this forum from
that account.

>>> Yet another example of your lies.

>> What alleged lies, Glatt?

> If you guys would directly answer questions, we wouldn't be seeing
> these childish word games.

If Glatt would produce evidence, we wouldn't be seeing his word games.
But he's counting on gullible people believing him.

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To all Windows 2000/98/95 Fans
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:00:04 GMT

In article <oQzD4.5701$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Trevor Fuson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8bdlr2$8rv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

And yet another example of Microsoft Loophole Language.

> > Only the original Linux kernel is new. Much of the code has been
> > production hardened for over 20 years (when UNIX systems were
>
> > Microsoft still has a lot to learn about process
> > management, library
> > management, interprocess communications, process scheduling, and
> > memory management, but Windows 2000 is certainly Microsoft's best
> > operating system to date.
>
> Microsoft has people that have been working
> on this stuff since 1975.

This is true, but misleading.  Microsoft hired a number of DEC VMS
programmers.  Many of these programmers worked on RSTS prior to working
on VMS.  In fact, Bill Gates and Paul Allen both worked to support
Time sharing systems based on RSTS.

Without going into a great deal of discussion, VMS had a problem with
creating new processes.  UNIX and Linux used the fork() call to
efficiently create new processes.  Later, shared processes and sticky
processes reduced the number of bytes replaced during the exec() call.

It's no accident that UNIX became a very modular system running modular
clients, servers, and pipelines while VMS and NT became large
monolithic systems running large monolithic applications.  Eventually,
for VMS open edition, DEC created a bunch of processes that could be
used but weren't discarded - a strategy remarkably similar to that used
in Microsoft's fabric.

Of course, VMS administrators and sales people would strongly
discourage the use of Open Edition because the constant forking and
starting of "processess".  Even though the processes preexisted, the
overhead of balancing the needs and fitting each process to it's new
"parent" slowed performance.

> In fact some of NT's source code could date back as far as 1981.

Again, quite true.  Microsoft actually went so far as to officially
license certain parts of the VMS source code for integration into
Windows NT.  An old joke stated that WNT was to VMS what HAL (the
computer on 2001 a space odyssey) was to IBM.  Each letter in the new
abbreviation was an adjacent letter in the alphabet.

Unfortunately, Microsoft had to steer clear of UNIX kernel people
because the needed to avoid any possibility that their new product
could be ruled to be a UNIX clone.  This was probably due to the
SCO agreement.

--
Rex Ballard - Open Source Advocate, Internet
I/T Architect, MIS Director

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Giving up on Tholen
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:13:10 GMT

Jeff Glatt writes:

> George Marengo worte:

>> I wrote:

>>> What alleged reprimand, Glatt?  What alleged abuse, Glatt?

>> Here is an opportunity to clearly state what happened:
>>
>> For years you have posted from the University of Hawaii.
>> Now you are posting from a Road Runner account.

> That's because the University was sent a detailed synopsis of the
> content of his posts here,

Incorrect, Glatt.

> along with comments of a wide demographic of readers of this newsgroup,
> clearly showing Tholen's harassment of others in the newsgroup,

What alleged harassment, Glatt?

> and they deemed his posts to be an abuse of their facilities,

Where is this alleged deeming, Glatt?

> and reprimanded him to stop that abuse.

Liar.

>> Why are you no longer posting from the University of Hawaii account
>> and are instead posting from a Road Runner account?

> He has no choice.

On the contrary, I do have a choice, Glatt.

> For example, he will respond to yours and my posts from rr.com
> instead of the University of Hawaii facilities

THat doesn't prove that I don't have a choice, Glatt.  Rather, it
proves that I have more than one choice.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:16:37 GMT

Jeff Glatt writes:

> George Marengo wrote:

>> I wrote:

>>> George Marengo writes:

>> <snip>

>>> Then why did you ignore what was written, George?

>> I didn't ignore what was written. You answered the first question
>> that I had and I posed a second question.

>>> What alleged concern, George?

>> Never mind... it's clear you had no such concern.

>>> How ironic, coming from the person evading the issue,
>>> namely Glatt's lie.

>> I didn't evade it. Jeff Glatt lied.

> Incorrect. Tholen is one lying.

Prove it, if you think you can, Glatt.  Produce your evidence of the
alleged reprimand.  Pontification won't get you anywhere.

>> That's understood -- you were not reprimanded by the U of H based
>> on a complaint by Jeff Glatt.

> Incorrect. Some of material submitted to the U of H, which was used to
> determine that Tholen abused their facilities, came from me.

What alleged abuse, Glatt?

> Of course, I wasn't the only person who submitted material.

The University is probably still trying to figure out who the "Ian"
that Glatt keeps referring to is.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:18:20 GMT

George Marengo writes:

> Jeff Glatt wrote:

>> George Marengo wrote:

>>> I didn't evade it. Jeff Glatt lied.

>> Incorrect. Tholen is one lying.

> Hey, whatever... you two boys can fight it out.

Afraid to request evidence, the way you did when the 92 million was
mentioned, George?

You've suddenly stopped following-up after I pointed out that
inconsistency of yours.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Mar 2000 21:18:27 GMT

George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: On 27 Mar 2000 04:50:32 GMT, "Stephen S. Edwards II"
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: >W. Kiernan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: >
: >: Mark Hamstra wrote:
: >: >
: >: > "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: >: >
: >: > > Was it really Chad Myers who wrote?:
: >: > > >
: >: > > > ...NTFS, which has journaling.
: >: > >
: >: > > It does?  That's news to me.
: >: >
: >: > You shouldn't be so quick to broadcast your ignorance.
: >
: >: I shouldn't ask questions, you mean.  I should learn by telepathy,
: >: osmosis, however you do it, you bigdeal genius you.
: >
: >You're answer did, IMHO, denote a slight flavor of sarcasm.  NTFS is
: >indeed a journaled filesystem.  Perhaps you thought NTFS to be much like
: >FAT16?

: Are you talking about NTFS or NTFS5?

I was referring to NTFS under WindowsNT v4.0.
--
.-----.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Giving up on Tholen (and Bob shows his lack of knowledge yet again)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:19:10 GMT

Jeff Glatt writes:

> Joe Malloy wrote:

>> Well, Marty, Tholen tholened himself into another flub:

>>> If it "speaks for itself" then why did you post this follow-up?  Typical
>>> inconsistency.

>> You found the inconsistency -- now note how Tholen tries to wriggle out of
>> it!

> His inconsistency "speaks for itself"

What alleged inconsistency, Glatt?

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Mar 2000 21:20:14 GMT

abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: > "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: >> Mark Hamstra wrote:
: >> >
: >> > "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: >> >
: >> > > Was it really Chad Myers who wrote?:
: >> > > >
: >> > > > ...NTFS, which has journaling.
: >> > >
: >> > > It does?  That's news to me.
: >> >
: >> > You shouldn't be so quick to broadcast your ignorance.
: >>
: >> I shouldn't ask questions, you mean.  I should learn by telepathy,
: >> osmosis, however you do it, you bigdeal genius you.

: > Of course! <grin>

: > NTFS 5 (which is implemented in Windows2000 and read by NT 4.0 SP4 and higher)
: > has a change journal.

: Neat.  Now its just like MacOS 7.5.1.

NEWSFLASH:  MacOS HFS is not a journaling filesystem.
--
.-----.

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Mar 2000 21:31:33 GMT

: >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >>
: >> >> "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: >> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: >> >>> Mark Hamstra wrote:
: >> >>> >
: >> >>> > "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: >> >>> >
: >> >>> > > Was it really Chad Myers who wrote?:
: >> >>> > > >
: >> >>> > > > ...NTFS, which has journaling.
: >> >>> > >
: >> >>> > > It does?  That's news to me.
: >> >>> >
: >> >>> > You shouldn't be so quick to broadcast your ignorance.
: >> >>>
: >> >>> I shouldn't ask questions, you mean.  I should learn by telepathy,
: >> >>> osmosis, however you do it, you bigdeal genius you.
: >>
: >> >> Of course! <grin>
: >>
: >> >> NTFS 5 (which is implemented in Windows2000 and read by NT 4.0 SP4 and
: > higher)
: >> >> has a change journal.
: >>
: >> > Neat.  Now its just like MacOS 7.5.1.
: >>
: >> Oh, and BeOS DR3.0, IRIX and Purgatory/Inferno.
: >>
: >> Catch up microsoft!  Catch up!  Tell us you invented it!  We'll believe
: > you!
: >>

: > maybe Linux will catchup some day later too and claim Linus wrote it.

: Yes, that would happen...except that people who use linux consistently understand
: the way computers work and where their software comes from.

Then please tell us, what is your excuse?
--
.-----.

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Mar 2000 21:40:05 GMT

abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: In comp.os.linux.advocacy Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: > "abraxas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: > news:8bnq94$n6l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >>
: >> > "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: >> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: >> >> Mark Hamstra wrote:
: >> >> >
: >> >> > "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: >> >> >
: >> >> > > Was it really Chad Myers who wrote?:
: >> >> > > >
: >> >> > > > ...NTFS, which has journaling.
: >> >> > >
: >> >> > > It does?  That's news to me.
: >> >> >
: >> >> > You shouldn't be so quick to broadcast your ignorance.
: >> >>
: >> >> I shouldn't ask questions, you mean.  I should learn by telepathy,
: >> >> osmosis, however you do it, you bigdeal genius you.
: >>
: >> > Of course! <grin>
: >>
: >> > NTFS 5 (which is implemented in Windows2000 and read by NT 4.0 SP4 and
: > higher)
: >> > has a change journal.
: >>
: >> Neat.  Now its just like MacOS 7.5.1.

: > Eh ?  Since when was HFS journalled ?

: HFS and HFS+, since the invention of the dynamically updated desktop file.

"Dynamically updated desktop file" has absolutely _NOTHING_ to do with
filesystem journaling.

: It is a journaled filesystem in the strictest sense of the term.

No, it is not.  I thought Linux users were the sort who "understood"
computer systems.  Again, I ask... "what's your excuse?"

HFS is not journaled in _ANY_ sense of the word.  Here, go learn
something.  In some ways, it's even more limited than FAT16 (DOS).

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n8647

Now, make sure that next time you have a clue before you spout off.
--
.-----.