Linux-Advocacy Digest #608, Volume #26           Sat, 20 May 00 04:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (haysus)
  Re: Your office and Linux. ("Streamer")
  Re: Never saw Linux die? Try this.... ("Mike")
  Re: Templetonbot field test 001  (was Re: Tholen digest-[SNIP]) (Perry Pip)
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software (Bob Germer)
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software (Bob Germer)
  a few questions please  ("AJ")
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software (Sam E. Trenholme)
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software (Woofbert)
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software (Woofbert)
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software (Timberwoof)
  Re: Bargmen digest, volume 2451353 (Marty)
  Re: Microsoft finally gets the idea... almost ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: Things Linux can't do! (Perry Pip)
  Re: There is NO reason to use Linux...It just STINX (mlinuxlover)
  Re: Things Linux can't do! ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: The future... (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul E. Larson))
  Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux (mlinuxlover)
  Re: Is Linus a terminator ? (mlinuxlover)

From: haysus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 20 May 2000 00:10:04 -0500

>No distribution can put anything in /usr/local. That's for YOU to make
>non-distro-spawned additions in.

I ran Caldera 2.3 for a while (not the best idea) and I recall it
installing lots of stuff to /usr/local. Perhaps I'm wrong, it's been a
few months.

------------------------------

From: "Streamer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Your office and Linux.
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 00:27:30 -0600

In article <8g489d$73r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So now am I a "serious" linux user because I wrote this with pan?

Nope.  You're not using the most recent version of pan like I am
(pan-0.8.0).  BTW, hit the Wrap Text button before you post next time.

>  What a joke.

Bingo!  This whole series of posts is a joke..  You've been taking it way
too serious and reading way too much into what I mean (of course, having
fun pushing your buttons hasn't helped either).

>  If you really admire Charlie's utter lack of wit and trollish
> ways then I feel sorry for you.

'Admire' isn't the word I would use.

Now, would you rather continue this thread in getting back at me, or would
you rather continue on with your form of advocacy in the other threads?

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Never saw Linux die? Try this....
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 05:23:46 GMT

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.

Strange. It's Jim Bakker. He was married to Tammy Faye, and fooled around
with Jessica Hahn.

Must not remind you very much.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Subject: Re: Templetonbot field test 001  (was Re: Tholen digest-[SNIP])
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 05:27:09 GMT

On 20 May 2000 00:11:15 GMT,
Stephen S. Edwards II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It's not a personal vendetta, Matt.  It's just that you're such a ball to
>make fun of.

That's funny, I've felt the same way myself the last couple of days ;)

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 05:11:09 GMT

On 05/19/2000 at 05:49 PM,
   "Erik Fuckingliar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> MS no longer uses a version number for OLE.  Inside OLE by Kraig
> Brockschmidt (MS Press) explains that OLE simply means OLE 2.0 since
> 1994.

Just because MS says OLE means something different than the rest of the
world doesn't make it fact. OLE is OLE no matter what you or Gates say.

Bob Germer from Mount Holly, NJ - E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Proudly running OS/2 Warp 4.0 w/ FixPack 12
MR/2 Ice 2.19ze Registration Number 67
As the court closes in on M$, Lemmings are morphing to Ostrats!

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 05:15:36 GMT

On 05/19/2000 at 05:46 PM,
   "Erik Fuckingliar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> For a select few applications.  Most applications have a half-life of 2
> years or more.  Example:  Office 98 (shipped mid-summer of 97) , Office
> 2000 (shipped mid-summer of 99).

More pure bullshit. There were at least three releases of Office 97 in an
18 month period. I have in my hands, Office 97, OSR 1, Office 97, OSR 2,
and Office 97 Professional.

I have on my desk, five different versions of Windows 98. Three are
unlabeled as to version. The other two are labeled Windows 98 Second
Edition. The disks have at least 5% different file dates.

From: "AJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a few questions please
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 05:45:51 GMT

Hi.. I am an experience Novell tech (CNE) but new to linux and want to get
windows out of my life as soon as possible... I Would like someone to answer
a few questions for me.. First i want to install linux on the following
system,,, P II  400 , 64 ram , 4.8 G hd , SB pci sound , 4meg ATI Rage
video, and US Robotics  pci 56k, and 3com pci  net card( 3c509). I know this
more than meets the requirements. My questions are the following
1) I use a high speed isp ( called : vibe) not a cable modem  but adsl. it
used a newbridge networks MainStreet in my home and i use a 3com net card.
Is there any known problem settting lunix up on this?
2) I just got Storm linux does anyone have instructions how to install it in
a partition without it destroying the other one's? Please Help
3) this storm linux? is it ok? any things i should know or be warned? what
to use instead? you opinion is appreciated..
Please Email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] thank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: 19 May 2000 23:18:34 -0700

>> I might need retraining from an automatic to a manual transmission as
>> well.
>
>YOU probably would. No one else under the age of 90 would.

Get real.  About 50% of the drivers out there can't drive a manual
transmission, and need an automatic transmission.

I know that I learned how to drive a clutch after I was comfortable
driving around in an automatic.

- Sam (How come these advocacy groups always get so bizarre and rude?)
--
Please post, and not email, questions you have about my answers
Go to http://samiam.org/cgi-bin/mailme to get my email address

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 23:48:53 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Illya Vaes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bob Germer wrote:
> >As an aside, I always thought DIN meant Deutschelander Industrie Normen.
>
> Close.
> Deutsche Industrie Norm (German Industry Standard).

That's what I said, in the article Bob was replying to.  }: )

--
Woofbert <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>
Datadroid

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 23:50:19 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (tinman) wrote:

> In article <3923ce7a$5$obot$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bob Germer

> > As an aside, I always thought DIN meant Deutschelander Industrie
> > Normen.
>
> Not likely.

Damn right, not likely. The Normans were in France.

From: Timberwoof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 23:51:53 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > This simply shows that you don't know what you're talking about. Both
> > > Macromedia and Adobe get about half of their income from Macintosh
> > > applications.
> >
> > Then perhaps they do not complain because they do not think
> > Apple will listen. Apple has *not* been good about supporting
> > their developers; it has been bait-and-switch with them for *years*.
> >
> > > (And which major software company did you work for as a
> > > software engineer?)
> >
> > No major one; I work for a little one.
> >
> > Absolut Solutions, out of Newton, MA.
> >
> > We make a business management and accounting system
> > for Windows.
> >
> > Which major software company do *you* work for as a
> > software engineer? :D
>
> Macromedia. I was a QA Engineer on Director and Shockwave for four
> years.

Way to go, Woofy. You sure know how to end a thread! }: )

--
Timberwoof <timberwoof at infernosoft dot com>
Chief Perpetrator

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Bargmen digest, volume 2451353
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 06:56:24 GMT

tholenbot wrote:

> Typical improper digest format.

Glad you agree.

> How predictable.

Irrelevant.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft finally gets the idea... almost
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 17:31:10 +1000

"Loren Petrich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8g518f$55i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>In all fairness if you want to lay "blame" for that (if you consider it
> >>something that deserves to be "blamed" on someone) you would have to lay
it
> >>on Apple.  After all, as the Mac advocates are so proud of trumpeting,
they
> >>did pioneer that whole document-centric GUI thing.
>
> >Oh, that's very possible. I have exactly zero experience with the Mac,
> >so I really can't say. I do consider it a problem, though, that email
> >content can be executed from within the mail client. If that is also
> >common on the Mac, they are at fault just as well.
>
> My experience with MacOS-native mailers is rather limited, but in
> it, autoexecuting of executable content is uncommon.

I don't know of any Windows mailers that automatically execute executable
content either, but that wasn't the issue.

The issue was the blurring of the distinction between apps and documents,
something pioneered by the MacOS.  It's generally considered to be A Good
Thing

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Subject: Re: Things Linux can't do!
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 07:30:20 GMT

On Sat, 20 May 2000 02:54:01 +1000,
Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Perry Pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Thu, 18 May 2000 19:01:36 +1000, Christopher Smith
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Perry Pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>the

>and
>> >in

>> >I did.  One sentence was about BSODs, the other about "problems".

>> about BSOD's. Stephen used the word "BSODs". A followup to his post
>> used the word "BSODs". In Stephen's conflicting followup to that he
>> used the word "problems". Nowhere did he change the context or define
>> "problems". So in that context problems implicitly meant "BSODs"
>
>I've been back up the thread. The context was, IIRC, "problems", and the
>specific sentence about BSODs.

You really are getting desparate...here it is going back seven posts
and their is no use of the word "problems" untill Stephen's use of it,
just an ongoing talk about BSOD's and lockups under X:

http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623126285 - reference to "Blue screen"

http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623143491 - reference to Linux crashes.

http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623268665 - reference to "blue screen"

http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623294410 - reference by Stephen to
X locking up.

http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623126285 - reference to X locking up.

http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623637730 - Stephen's original claim
"I have seen a lot of BSODs in my time, and in every single
instance..."

http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623697578 - someone wrote "MS doesn't
aggree with you stephen. In a survey _they published_, 40 percent of
BSODs were attributed to 'internal NT components'. Hardware, apps,
etc. got the rest."

http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623940112 - Stephen's story changed
to "most of the problems I've encountered, and witnessed..."

Now that's five looks you've had "Christopher" and you're still
playing your little game of evasion. I've provided the evidence, it's
up to you to have some reading comprehension.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: There is NO reason to use Linux...It just STINX
From: mlinuxlover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 00:47:44 -0700

on saturday morning I downloaded a redhat 6.2 ISO, burned it.
Total time 70 mins. No cost.
Later that night, I installed linux in as a server, set it up as
a gateway, and started my apache server, FTP, and terminal
server. Total time, about 2 hours.
Then monday, I telneted into my linux box, set up a few
accounts, wrote a few scripts, and wrote a webpage.
total time 1 hour.
enjoyed the rest of the week, backing up my files from
workstation from work.
Tonight I set up an email server in about 45 mins.
Oh yes, I'm running linux on a command promt only.
Linux is easy to user, extreamly versitle, and fun. windows is
expensive bloated, and does not carry enough software to support
a big network. Plus, unix/linux techs get paid more than windows
techs. nuf said.

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 18:02:37 +1000

"Perry Pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 20 May 2000 02:54:01 +1000,
> Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I've been back up the thread. The context was, IIRC, "problems", and the
> >specific sentence about BSODs.
>
> You really are getting desparate...here it is going back seven posts
> and their is no use of the word "problems" untill Stephen's use of it,
> just an ongoing talk about BSOD's and lockups under X:
>
> http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623126285 - reference to "Blue screen"
>
> http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623143491 - reference to Linux crashes.
>
> http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623268665 - reference to "blue screen"
>
> http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623294410 - reference by Stephen to
> X locking up.
>
> http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623126285 - reference to X locking up.

The above are totally irrelevant.  Especially as setting the context since
it changes from apps crashign to apps bringing down the system to BSODs.

> http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623637730 - Stephen's original claim
> "I have seen a lot of BSODs in my time, and in every single
> instance..."

Thus specifically indicating the BSODs he had experienced.

> http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623697578 - someone wrote "MS doesn't
> aggree with you stephen. In a survey _they published_, 40 percent of
> BSODs were attributed to 'internal NT components'. Hardware, apps,
> etc. got the rest."

Once again, irrelevant to the point at hand.

> http://x28.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=623940112 - Stephen's story changed
> to "most of the problems I've encountered, and witnessed..."

Thus changing the context.

> Now that's five looks you've had "Christopher" and you're still
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm wondering why that's in ""s.

> playing your little game of evasion. I've provided the evidence, it's
> up to you to have some reading comprehension.

I have read, comprehended, and your claim of Stephen's lying is, at best,
tenuous.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The future...
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 03:58:08 -0400

mlw wrote:

> Looking over the landscape of the computer industry, here are some
> observations.....
>
> The Server market distinct from the Workstation is gone. Desktop PCs
> will either get smaller in the direction of thin-clients, or be
> indistinguishable from servers.
>
> I think the NOS market is gone. Novel and whom ever is pursuing it is
> wasting their time. All real OS's will just do it right.
>
> Windows is going to die. Not because of MS, exactly, but because the
> world is going towards standards. While UNIX is not a majority player,
> it is a standards based multi-vendor platform. MS will bluster about
> being the "defacto-standard" but more and more IT people are realizing
> that public standards are better than ubiquitous proprietary standards.

It's about doggone time.

> --
> Mohawk Software
> Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.
> Visit http://www.mohawksoft.com
> Have you noticed the way people's intelligence capabilities decline
> sharply the minute they start waving guns around?

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: whistler<blahblah>@twcny.rr.com (Paul E. Larson)
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 07:54:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Fri, 19 May 2000 03:08:54 GMT, Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>I got your picture but your picture is miles from the truth.
>>Go spend just $45 of your hard earned cash and get a copy of Suse 6.4,
>>install it, then come back here and repeat those words you've just said!
>
>Buy ?
>
>$45 ?
>
>It's supposed to be free (worth ever cent)

Or you could do it the cheap/easy way -
http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010501?dcoqGkZW;;209
or download the *.ISO if you have the speed and a burner. Cheapest way to try
Linux distributions, who knows maybe someday I will find one that I like.

Paul

Get rid of the blahs to email me :}

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=635208 - 1999 Hancock Airshow
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=2618171 - National Warplane Museum

------------------------------

From: mlinuxlover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 00:55:19 -0700

I'm not realy sure If I want real estate agents runnung linux.
Why would you need to run Linux for real estate agents? Obviusly
if you run a program because "it looks real pritty" then I have
a few cars I would like to sell to you..while we're at it, You
should just put up nice looking boxes on the agents desks, and
take away their PC's.
Please come back when you have a real complaint.

Subject: Re: Is Linus a terminator ?
From: mlinuxlover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 01:02:44 -0700

I never saw it like that. heheheh that is a good point. Linus is
a pimp. He's my hero.