Linux-Advocacy Digest #896, Volume #26            Sun, 4 Jun 00 23:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux is so stable... (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software ("Dolly")
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software ("Dolly")
  Re: Yet Another Analogy: Military Aircraft. (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Beowulf (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north ("Come Home")
  Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages) (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Can't install Linux on my system. (JoeX1029)
  Re: Linux User Counts, - time for an update (abraxas)
  Re: The Mainframe VS the PC. (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: The sad Linux story ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A Better Windows (Osugi Sakae)
  Re: Can't install Linux on my system. (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages) (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: The sad Linux story (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Drestin is an anal-cough-licker! (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north (Andrew J. Brehm)
  Re: Why UNIX Rocks (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: There is only one innovation that matters... (was Re: Micros~1 innovations) (Joe
Ragosta)
  Re: The sad Linux story (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: The sad Linux story (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: There is only one innovation that matters... (Joe Ragosta)

Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:49:39 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is so stable...

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> No-Spam (Terry Porter) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >There is always a log.
>
> I went looking for logs. I found syslogd but no mention of where the log
> file is kept. I eventually found a boot log, but not a shutdown log.

Look at /var/log/messages

If you understand the basic layout of the file system, then you could find
this quite easily.   Much of the file system is designed to be able to be
mounted read-only.  /home, /tmp, and /var must be writeable.  /home is for
users home directories, /tmp is for temp files, and /var is for all of the
files the system must maintain, including various log files, printer queues,
etc.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Dolly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:09:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000 16:24:52 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>Dolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >It's more like a percentage, since no two OS's, much less no two versions
>of
>> >the same OS have the same number of services.
>> >
>> >So fine, I'll pull a number out of my ass.  If it's > 50%, then the value
>of
>> >the host OS is  less than the value of the OS itself.
>>
>> Ooooh... should we then get into how many Win "API's" call DOS or
>> BIOS code to actually do the work? heh - or the even worse ones
>> that go through a thunking layer to Win16 code that calls DOS or
>> BIOS code...
>>
>> Are you discounting them?
>
>In Windows 95, there are 6 DOS functions which are not handled by 32 bit
>handlers.
>
>Very few API calls have anything to do with DOS.  I'd say only a handful.
>Things like createprocess, and setting the system date and time.  Nothing in
>USER ever calls into DOS (which is the window management functions), and
>nothing in GDI does.  Yes, they may call 16 bit code, but the 16 bit code is
>still not DOS.

Ummm... yeah. When since? Nor are we talking just USER.EXE... and
I *DO* count DOS code stuck in a DLL and compiled... much less
their idiot attempt to call 16bit code 32 bit because it was compiled
on a 32bit compiler (this idiot claim was made at a big Expo in
DC when 95 was released).

------------------------------

From: "Dolly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:12:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000 16:21:37 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>Dolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >And you thought I didn't leave those "I'll say those weasel-words in so I
>can
>> >weasel my way out later" words out on purpose?
>> >Anyone who doesn't see them for what they are is either stupid or a
>lawyer (or
>> >both)...
>> >And you kinda take away the pizazz out of "do what our customers want" if
>you
>> >call millions of people cursing your product "not a significant number of
>> >users", eh?
>>
>> The oddest thing is, right before the release of 98, the reason to buy,
>> according to MS, was because it fixed over 5,000 significant bugs
>> in 95... amazing how one day there are none, then, overnight they
>> find thousands...
>
>You call 3 years "overnight"?  And nowhere did they say 5000 "significant"
>bugs.
>
>Amazing how you make stuff up.

Hmm... how about every MS sponsored radio ad in our
area. And it WAS overnight (or a couple months at the
longest)... MS was just a few months before, trying
to claim the phenomenal stability and lack of bugs in the
latest Win95 releases - remember? All coincided around
a claim made against them in court about sneaking in
bug fixes in updates... "There arent any bugs... thus
there arent any bug fixes - these are really updates, as
we have claimed they are" (paraphrased).

------------------------------

From: Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yet Another Analogy: Military Aircraft.
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 00:52:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: Windows 2000:  The Hindenburg.  It's huge, it's slow, but many find it
: more comfortable than the aeroplane.  Carries relatively few passengers
: considering its size, but requires a large crew to operate.  Once hailed
: as a technological marvel, engineering flaws turn it into a disaster.

That's hilarious. Happily, I have no expierence with Win2K.

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
 First Law of Economics: You can't sell product to people without money.

4968238 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

------------------------------

From: Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Beowulf
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 01:19:55 GMT

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I have convinced the people, with which I currently work, to setup a
: Beowulf cluster.

: 20 Nodes, 512M Ram, 2 36G hard disks, 24 port switch.

Cool! If I got rich by any method, I would own a Beowulf style
supercomputer. I may not need to become rich either. Beowulf means that
anyone with the inclination and only a modest income can afford their own
"Cray". Beowulf means your own "Cray" IS possible. Configuring your own
"Cray" becomes the challenge. (:

I distinctly remember back in the late Greedy 80s how I fantasised about a
Beowulf style cluster, in that case being with 1024 computers to make for
the "Cray". It would of course cost a megabuck for the hardware, but the
Beowulf Linux definitely cuts the cost of the software for such a
supercomputer.

One thing Saddam could do is send a bloke here, order the CD with the
Beowulf Linux, and smuggle it back home in Iraq. Unlike drugs, a CD is
hard for a dog to sniff out. (actually impossible) This is one political
thing about Linux. Linux means that ANYONE can copy it and use it, and
Saddam could build his own "internet" with it for his defence purposes.

Once smuggled out, a Beowulf album could be used for making supercomputers
so as to design better weapons. This is certainly good for any war-like
idiot dictator, but could be bad for us. This is a definite hazard of Free
Speech and freeware. It's unfortunate that this hazard exists.

From: "Come Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 01:35:42 GMT

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000603/tc/microsoft_canada_3.html

This report said that Canada, Norway, Ireland and China had all
wanted Microsoft to move over.

Canada has the big land and China has the big population. If any one
of these  two "big" countries gain the tech-monopoly, the American
will soon regret what they have done to Microsoft.

Welcome Microsoft to Canada!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages)
Date: 4 Jun 2000 20:37:52 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Those man pages have been there forever and doing a fine job. I must
>>admit that they are not particular easy to read , but everything you
>>need to know as an enduser is actually there. This is unlike f.ex. the
>>Windows helpsystem that really is of no help if you want to resolve
>>problems.
>
>They've changed, I remember man tar was far more descriptive in an earlier
>version of Linux.

These days many GNU tools only have the current documentation in
info pages.  So use 'info tar' to get the whole story or join the
emacs religion and use info-mode to view it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Subject: Re: Can't install Linux on my system.
Date: 05 Jun 2000 01:49:49 GMT

You should always reformat for linux with the tools that came with the Distro.
Also, which distro are you using??  Alot of the commands on Linux are the same
depending on the UNIX box you are using but remember: Linux is NOT UNIX!  Some
Liux distro use the BSD style of doing things and other s the SysV.  If you
want the most UNIX like Linux go with Slackware 7, it's teh most traditonal but
alos the hardest to setup.  Most of the configs are done by scripts instead of
utils.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Linux User Counts, - time for an update
Date: 5 Jun 2000 02:03:15 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> PS:  Ah, Dres donīt have no signature, na na na naaaaaa na!!!!

> Nope, never had never will, they are lame. just a waste of bandwidth

Yet another thing that dresden doesnt understand; the difference between
drivespace and bandwidth.

:)

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: The Mainframe VS the PC.
Date: 4 Jun 2000 21:05:29 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mike Marion  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Mac, the Atari 520ST and 1040ST, the Amiga, and UNIX boxes such
>> as the AT&T 6300 (which supported Tektronix 4010 graphics) the IBM
>> PC/RT, the Sun 1 and Sun 2, the Apollo, and the DecStation.
>
>Actually unless they used the 6300 model name for another box, or it also ran an
>AT&T Unix, then I'd have to say you're wrong about the AT&T box you mention.  My
>family's first PC was an AT&T PC 6300 (perhaps there was a separate model with
>the PC indicating a DOS box) that's still out in the garage.  Still works too,
>but the monitor is fried and the monitor connection is proprietary.  I still
>remember getting that huge 20Meg hdd and thinking that I'd never be able to fill
>something so huge. :)

There was something called the 6300-plus, which was a 286 version
of about the same machine that could run a version of SysV unix.
It worked about as well as you could expect from a 286.  I tried
to add other users with dumb terminals to one once, but the
word processing software needed the arrow keys to work and
the 286 couldn't keep up with the multi-key sequences that
the terminal generated for an arrow keypress at 9600 baud.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The sad Linux story
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:03:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But emacs, vi, etc predate Linux.

WordPerfect is approximately as old as VI, and modern versions have no
problem adapting and taking advantage of the new hardware. The original
version ran on something like a VT52, but modern versions run on
bitmapped displays with WYSIWYG graphics. If Linux has advantages over
systems from the 1970's, why aren't the applications taking advantage
of them?

> But the applications you listed predate Linux. How could LINUX
> standardize them?

WordPerfect was developed before there were standards in either
Microsoft Windows or Macintosh, but modern versions have no trouble at
all adapting.

> Because the apps you listed are not the property of Linux.

Sure they are. They are among the most frequently used applications on
Linux.

> > Please develop a list of aliases which would be as powerful as VMS's
> > abbreivation system. Clue: it cannot be done, because aliases are
> > fragile and not possible.
> >

> For your former DOS users:
>
> alias copy='cp'
> alias del='rm'
>
> and so on.
>
> Put this in /etc/bashrc.

I know that you are really new to this, but VMS is not a variant of
DOS. Although both VMS and DOS has roots in RT-11, so there are
similarities.

Let's see here:
[tsm]$ cat >> ~/.bashrc
alias copy='cp'
alias del='rm'
[tsm]$ source ~/.bashrc
[tsm]$ copy/recursive [.mail] [.mailbak]
bash: copy/recursive: No such file or directory
[tsm]$ copy /recursive [.mail] [.mailbak]
cp: copying multiple files, but last argument ([.mailbak]) is not a
directory
Try `cp --help' for more information.

Doh! Aliases are too fragile to support VMS syntax. Try again. Clue:
the only way to do it is write a new shell - the Unix shells are not
flexible enough.

Subject: Re: A Better Windows
From: Osugi Sakae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:15:25 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Cihl

>To the point:
>Linux is not a better Windows. Linux cannot, in most cases,
replace
>Windows. Linux is completely different from Windows. Linux has
it's
>strong points (like general stability and power) and Windows
has it's
>strong points, too (like user-friendliness and OEM-support).
The same
>goes for the weaker points, of course.
>
>Because of a recent "hype" around Linux an ever-increasing
number of
>companies have come to rely on the GNU/Linux system. This means
that
>for us it's time to start taking our responsibilities seriously
and
>also to start behaving more professionally. Linux is taking
it's first
>steps into the big world, but it still needs a trusted hand to
keep it
>from falling to the street, so to speak.

Please to be putting your money where your mouth is:
1. When you say linux cannot replace windows, which version of
windows are you refering too? In many cases, Win98 could not
replace WinNT and WinNT could not replace Win98. Which one is it
that Linux cannot replace?

2. You said "in most cases" - that is a very broad statement.
What are some examples of cases where Linux cannot replace
windows. For that matter, what exactly do you mean by replace?
Run the same software? Accomplish the same result? Run on the
same hardware? Please be more precise.

3. Linux is completely different from windows? They are both
operating systems. They can both run on at least ibm-clone,
intel-compatible hardware. Sushi is more "completely different"
from windows than linux is. So what is your point?

4. Every operating system has weak points and strong points. But
are you sure that the examples you give (stability, user-
friendliness, etc) are valid? Also, are they relevant? User-
friendly is hopelessly subjective. For some people, after a
certain point, stability and power are not relevant - or at
least take a back seat to other concerns, such as software
availability, suitability to task, and price.

5. "This means that for us it's time to start taking our
responsibilities seriously and also to start behaving more
professionally." Who are "we"?

I disagree strongly with your assertion that Linux needs a
trusted hand to help it enter the big world. Linux is an
operation system, not a child. You seem to be saying that there
needs to be some central control - is this an accurate reading
of your meaning?

Ignoring for a moment the role of Linus, why would central
control by a virtue for Linux? Please do not say that it gives
companies someone to hold responsible. That is a tired argument
that is should be resting in peace.

But perhaps I am misunderstanding your meaning. Please clarify
if that is the case.

--
Osugi Sakae

I will not be filed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered.
I am not a number, I am a free man.
 -The Prisoner

I do not like being called a "consumer" or a "citizen". I am a
free man, an individual, not something to be numbered or
classified on the basis of my utility to someone else.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:19:43 GMT

JoeX1029 wrote:

> Alot of the commands on Linux are the same
> depending on the UNIX box you are using but remember: Linux is NOT UNIX!

You mean "GNU/Linux is NOT UNIX"  <grin>

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 4 Jun 2000 21:18:26 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>To quote the smbmnt(8) man page: ".. refer to the smbfs.txt file in
>>the Linux kernel Documentation directory." It's not hyperlinked,
>>but for anyone knowledgeable enough to need that info, that would
>>seem to be sufficient.
>
>Oh I'm sorry, I was looking under smbmount. Ah yes, it really makes sense
>now, I should have been looking under smbmnt. Oops!
>
>Um, doesn't this just demonstrate the weakness of the man pages? If I can
>find nothing under smbmount, which I did know points at smbmnt, but didn't
>think the clever developers would HIDE it there, shouldn't the text be
>updated?

If you start your browser at file:/usr/doc (and I suggest that you
make it your home page...), which branch on the way down to:
 file:/usr/doc/samba-2.0.6/docs/htmldocs/smbmnt.8.html
did you find less than obvious?

This is one where the otherwise trusty 'locate' command misses.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 4 Jun 2000 21:10:21 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Actually the first ISO with Mandrake 7.0 had some error on it... If you
>>have that one then i would recommend that you update the ISO image.. it
>>came out 2-3 weeks later.
>
>I bought Linux Mandrake 7.0 Delux. Does that have the error? I hope not, as
>downloading ISO images on a 56K modem at 1p a minute would not impress me
>in the least!

I thought the only serious error involved installing on certain
systems, which is why they made a new ISO.  If you made it through
the install you should be able to get any other updates by
clicking on the update icon.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Drestin is an anal-cough-licker!
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:23:13 GMT

Drestin Black wrote:

> To the rest, I can only reply, in the very short time you've posted replies
> to me I can already deduce you are not worthy as a debator and only seeking
> to insult so I bid you a see-ya-later-boyo and refuse to waste my time on
> you and your lameness.

Bon voyage

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew J. Brehm)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 04:30:51 +0100

Come Home <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000603/tc/microsoft_canada_3.html
>
> This report said that Canada, Norway, Ireland and China had all
> wanted Microsoft to move over.
>
> Canada has the big land and China has the big population. If any one
> of these  two "big" countries gain the tech-monopoly, the American
> will soon regret what they have done to Microsoft.
>
> Welcome Microsoft to Canada!

Don't forget that Ireland is a part of the Europian Union, which has
approximately the same population (and thus market size) of the US and a
similar economy too.

Ireland is a Microsoft-only country anyway. I am sure they would be
welcomed there.

--
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why UNIX Rocks
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:29:13 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Ahlstrom) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >What a clown!   Trying to compare a mainframe OS with Linux.  Who cares?
>
> Mainframe? Oh yes, VMS runs on mainframe systems, but VMS mostly ran on
> mini systems.
>
> Pete

An old mini OS vs. Linux?  Of course, the minis of yesteryear are much
less than the PCs of today.

You ought to follow Drestin.

------------------------------

From: Joe Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: There is only one innovation that matters... (was Re: Micros~1
innovations)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:29:29 GMT

In article <8hatu8$u0s$18$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marc Schlensog"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I dislike saying this, but if it wasnīt M$ who donated $150M back in (I
> donīt
> remember), Apple would probably have gone down the drain, thus not
> existing
> anymore (probably the same way OS/2 is going right now).

Absolute nonsense.

First, Microsoft didn't "donate" anything. They purchased $150 million
in non-voting stock.

But Apple had a billion dollars in the bank at the time. The money from
Microsoft wasn't that big an issue.

--
Regards,

Joe Ragosta

Get $10 free -- no strings attached. Just sign up.
https://secure.paypal.com/auction/pal=jragosta%40earthlink.net

Or get paid to browse the web:
http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=KJS595

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 4 Jun 2000 21:25:30 -0500

In article <8hf1ot$3ub$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> But emacs, vi, etc predate Linux.
>
>WordPerfect is approximately as old as VI, and modern versions have no
>problem adapting and taking advantage of the new hardware. The original
>version ran on something like a VT52, but modern versions run on
>bitmapped displays with WYSIWYG graphics. If Linux has advantages over
>systems from the 1970's, why aren't the applications taking advantage
>of them?

They do if you want.  You run gvim instead of vi, xemacs instead
of emacs if you like that sort of thing.  And you can still
use the originals when you are working over a telnet session.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 4 Jun 2000 21:27:55 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>But, back to the problem of Staroffice not seeing your vfat
>>mounted partition.  Is it actually mounted as vfat (not dos)
>>and what happens when you try to browse through the mount
>>point?
>
>I believe it's vfat; everything else can see it, just not StarOffice.

Are you perhaps running 'everything else' as root and staroffice
as some other user that doesn't have permission to go there?
What happens as you cross the mount point?

From: Joe Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
Subject: Re: There is only one innovation that matters...
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:30:17 GMT

(JKnight) wrote:

> Marc Schlensog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Joe Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > I don't know about millions. But Apple was clearly selling plenty of
> > > computers long before MS released their first OS. So, saying that
> > > Apple
> > > wouldn't exist without MS is an absurd statement.
> >
> > I dislike saying this, but if it wasnīt M$ who donated $150M back in (I
> > donīt
> > remember), Apple would probably have gone down the drain, thus not
> > existing
> > anymore (probably the same way OS/2 is going right now).
> >

> M$ 'invested' $150M in Apple in return for 150,000 shares of non-voting
> stock which Microsoft have to keep for 5 years.  That's $1000 a share,
> when AAPL was selling for less than $20 on the open market.  Apple also
> had over $3 billion in cash/cash equivalents at the time, so the money
> wasn't really needed.  AAPL has 162M shares outstanding, so the M$
> 'investment' totals less than 0.1% of the company.
>
> There was a lot more to this 'investment' than meets the eye.

Sure there is--most of it fantasy on your part.

MS bought $150 M in Apple stock -- at market prices.