  Re: The sad Linux story ("Colin R. Day")

From: Joe Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: There is only one innovation that matters... (was Re: Micros~1
innovations)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:34:21 GMT

In article <8hemkm$9d5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Piers B."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Forgive my stupidity,  it was Microsoft developing for MacOS, I stand
> corrected you self righteous person.  The fact that Apple would have not
> had
> much going for them if
> 1 They didn't STEEL their Lisa OS ideas from Xerox's Paula Alto Research
> Center and then develop them into Mac OS (and yes the OS on the Apple
> IIe's
> sucked big time).

Of course, you're wrong. They didn't steal anything. They paid $1
million in stock options for the right to use what they saw at SPARC.

Of course, as a Microsoft minion, you can't tell the difference between
buying and stealing, so your confusion is forgiven.

> 2 They didn't have companies like MS writing apps for them so their novel
> OS
> had some real world use.

"Companies like MS"? Sure.

But the original argument was that Apple wouldn't exist if it weren't
for Microsoft. That was wrong.

> 3 MS took their knowledge of what they had done for Apple and applied it
> DOS and the PC architecture.

True. But quite irrelevant.

> As for the rest of your comments
> STICK THEM WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE (or does it, have to ask your
> friends
> on that one).

IOW, you don't have any rational arguments. But we all knew that already.

--
Regards,

Joe Ragosta

Get $10 free -- no strings attached. Just sign up.
https://secure.paypal.com/auction/pal=jragosta%40earthlink.net

Or get paid to browse the web:
http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=KJS595

------------------------------

From: Joe Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:36:58 GMT

In article <8hcidi$jrd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ann Bray"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I stand corrected but still MS was as much a by product of both Apple and
> IBM.  As for your comments on stupidity, well I assume you are just able
> see stupidity as you have been previously identified as stupid.  As such
> you
> are easily able to identfy your particular form of stupidity in others.

IOW, you don't have any rational argument.

> In english if you want to slag off at people tjhjen as far as I'm
> concerned,
> you can SOD OFF.

Nope. None yet.

> Hmm talking of copying people's ideas,  where did Apple get their ideas
> for
> Lisa/Mac OS Hmmmmmm.  Try Zerox and their Paulo Alto Research center.
> Anything Apple has brought to the world has as with MS mainly been ripped
> off from other's.

Wrong. Apple paid $1 Million for the rights to what they used.

Of course, it's all irrelevant. The argument I was responding to said
that Apple wouldn't exist without Microsoft. You still haven't supported
that argument.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Major linux problem "permissions"
Date: 4 Jun 2000 21:36:47 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
post_Reply  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've designed a few web pages and added some perl scripts, now the
>problem, no one can access the scripts, root can't, users can't.  It
>says "permission denied" or something like that.  I've tried every way
>possible to fix this, maybe there is a bug with mandrake 6.2 ???

Are these in a user's home directory under public_html being accessed
through the web server?  Most recent user admin tools will create
the home directory itself as rwx only for the owner.

>I've set the permission for everyone to excute,read,etc...And the cgi
>is in the right directory.

It isn't 'just' that directory.  All directories above must
also be accessable to the httpd process which is probably
running as user 'nobody'.

>I never seen anything like this before, I've posted msg. on every
>linux ng, and everyone more or less says the same thing "chmod XXX,
>etc"

Try doing 'su nobody' and accessing the directories and files in
question to see if it really is a permission problem.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:32:12 GMT

In article <UwA_4.20815$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Robert L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "post_Reply" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > I've designed a few web pages and added some perl scripts, now the
> > problem, no one can access the scripts, root can't, users can't.  It
> > says "permission denied" or something like that.  I've tried every
way
> > possible to fix this, maybe there is a bug with mandrake 6.2 ???
> >
> > I've set the permission for everyone to excute,read,etc...And the
cgi
> > is in the right directory.
> >
> > I never seen anything like this before, I've posted msg. on every
> > linux ng, and everyone more or less says the same thing "chmod XXX,
> > etc"
> >
> > Well, I've been over everything, and this is really holding back my
> > learning process.
> >
> > I'm ready to build another linux machine and try again, or maybe
just
> > D/L a program that will allow me to program in perl on my windows
> > machine.
> >
> > I want to set up a linux web server, I have all the how-to's, book,
> > etc.  But with all the problems, one has to wonder: there has got to
> > be a better way to do this.
> >
> > I love Linux, but when you are trying to learn something and the OS
is
> > holding you back, that is not acceptable.  With linux there are way
> > many silly undocumented problems specific to one machine, one
install,
> > or one distro.
> >
> > I'd love is someone can hold me get past this hurdle so I can
continue
> > to learn more and more....
>
> I think it's apache ( is it the webserver you use?) that don't accept
perl
> script. you have to configure it. I'm using xitami webserver ( for
windows )
> and there's an option to accept/refuse perl script ( cgi and other ).
> I know i don't help a lot, the only help i can give is to verify
apache
> howto and other docs.

Robert may be on the right track. Have you tried running the scripts
from a
shell account (not through the web server) first? This will tell you if
permissions for the FILES and DIRECTORIES are correct. Then you can
worry
about web access later.

One thing you have to make sure of is that the DIRECTORY that the CGI
scripts are in has execute permission for the web users (otherwise, the
user
won't be able to "cd" into it,) and that the web server's directories
are
owned by the default web user (usually "nobody" or "pcguest"
or "wwwuser" or
similar. An alternative is that the files and directories are owned by
the
same group that the default web user belongs to.

-- Rich C.
"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."

From: "David D. Huff Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: OSWars 2000 at www.stardock.com
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:33:29 GMT

> I am also sane enough to recognize that a third party of another OS reading
> your diatribe has probably concluded that what's left of the OS/2 users are
> a bunch of militia-like fanatics who have no sense of reality.  Can you even
> name a credible third party source that DOESN'T think OS/2 is dead as a
> desktop client?
>
> What do you even do with OS/2?  Why not share with us what "work" you are
> actually doing on a day to day basis?

Brad with friends of OS/2 like you, one must have to have a fanatical obsession
to keep coming back year after year to take on the Gloom and Doom folks like
you.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
From: herodotus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:50:32 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, EdWIN <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>herodotus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, EdWIN
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Gates
>>>
>>>These are just the kinds of remarks that turn casual Windows
>>>users into ardent Mac bashers.   Too bad you didn't get the
>>>intent of the orginal post.  :-P
>>>
>>Anyone who bases their judgement of OSs on Usenet posts
deserves
>>the special capsaican ointment after their next colonic
>>treatment.
>
>What's with this rectal obsession of yours?   Get your head out
>of your...you know.

Putting my head up my own ass is the only thing that takes my
mind
off my pain when I have to use Windows.

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Once again: Open-Source != Security; PGP Provides Example
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 22:56:38 -0400

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 17:59:56 GMT, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > >Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Rob S. Wolfram would say:
> >
> > >If Rex calculated the _memory space_ required by his sieve, to store all
> > >the primes up to 2^1024, he might ascertain just how big the problem is.
> > >That is left as an exercise to the reader...
> >
> > The density of primes in the integers does taper off somewhat,
> > more formally,
> > if you count the number of primes less than n and divide that number
> > by n, the result goes to zero as n gets large. Can't remember how
> > quickly it dies off though. It's not a very easy computation.
>
> Let p(n) be the number of primes less than or equal to n, and let lg(n)
> be the logarithm base two of n. The limit as n goes to infinity of the
> product of p(n) multiplied by lg(n) and then divided by n is 1.

Should be natural log of n instead. I never was good at number theory.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 22:59:12 -0400

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >>Oh, someone else who reboots all their servers weekly. Still doesn't
> >>eliminate BSODs, just reduces them.
> >
> >Weekly?  You really believe that?  C'mon - get real - weekly?
> >Quarterly, maybe.  Weekly?  Get real.
>
> Depends on the applications.  The problem with NT is mostly that the memory
> management and process scheduling is like something out of the 1970s, and
> this makes it very difficult to debug applications properly.  It's made worse
> by the fact that, in spite of a massively overblown set of systems calls,
> an awful lot of normal applications wind up being handled by stuff that
> isn't running in user space.
>
> The end result?  Applications with memory leaks and no way to find them.
> Not to mention operating system sections with memory leaks and no way to
> find them.
>
> I actually find NT kind of quaint in some ways, but I sure wish it had
> a real shell.

So bash isn't a real shell? Cygwin has ported it to NT.

<snip>

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New User here, and I think Linux Stinks!
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 03:03:29 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:
>On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 18:49:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>Now, to do the same under linux, I would do

[...script...]

>       You don't need to go to these lengths quite.  You can set up
>       xsane quite easily to do sequential numbering of scans and
>       just repeatedly hit the mouse button...

*grin* When I installed my scanner, there *wasn't* an xsane (but only
xscanimage). Also, I happen to be a text-console/keyboard junky, so
for a job like this, pressing mouse buttons is just not on.

Bernie
--
If the government is big enough to give you everything you want,
    it is big enough to take away everything you have

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The sad Linux story
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 23:03:43 -0400

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> gro.emordnilap@mst wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
> >
> > > Quick, does COP mean Copy or Policeman? :-)  Does /R mean
> > > /RECURSIVE or /REPLACE?
> >
> > The VMS abbreivations are write-only. If there is both /recursive
> > and /replace, then /r will be ambiguous. There is no arbitray
> > precendence of abbreviations. If Linux implemented abbreivations, it
> > would do them incorrectly, and anything you typed would be interpreted
> > randomly and abritrarily. This is because Linux sucks, and has a very
> > long history of screwing the user over.
> >

> Evidence? It has screwed me over.

Oops, it has NOT screwed me over.

Colin Day