From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: How many years for Linux to catch up to NT on the desktop ?
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:31:15 GMT

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:43:18 +1000, Allan Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I disagree 95% of software is compatible with ms  where does linux stand and
>if its so good as it costs nothing why isnt everyone using it.Ive been

        It's creeping up on the marketshare of the Mac actually... a
        well established heavily marketed system.

        Whereas Linux (or even MacOS for that matter) has to deal with
        decades of FUD, questionable & exlusionary business practices
        and network effects (like msword).

>running w2k pro for 4 months without 1 blue s of d its superb.I  dont mind

        That's nice, but: even Microsoft doesn't agree with you in calling
        NT5 a replacement for the end user that needs more robustness than
        Win9x is capable of managing.

>linux and enlightenment is quite good but is far from w2k pro plug & play
>,3df support linux has a long long way 2 come yeet before it can rival ms

        Linux actually has quite a bit of pnp support. "long way to go"
        is overstating the comparison considerably. It's more accurate
        to state that NT5 has marginally better vendor support.

        Where that is not the case, NT5 is in the same position as Linux,
        MacOS or BeOS.

> [...]
>> right and left click capabilities, file managers can be turned into web
>> browsers, a built in E-mail client,
>> a build in news client,,,,  plus more windows tricks like up to 8
>> windows desktops in one X sesssion!
>>
>> Linux allows users to become Root in order to make changes when
>> necessary without forcing them to log off!
>>
>> No 180 process limit!
>>
>> Superior support built in for ISDN, DSL, Cable Modems, Regular Modems!
>> Superior TCP-IP stack!
>> Superior DHCP service!
>>
>> Linux can act as a DNS server!
>>
>> Linux can be set up from the same software to act as a workstation, a
>> server or both!
>>
>> Superior gaming capability thru a faster kernel!
>>
>> Linux has support for as much hardware as W2K does now!
>>
>> Linux has USB support which actually WORKS!
>>
>> Linux has DVD support which actually WORKS!
>>
>> Linux is roughly twice as fast as W2k on the same hardware!
>>
>> Linux is 1/10 the cost of W2k or BETTER depending on workstation or
>> server discussions!
>>
>> I can install my Linux from MY CD's on 1,000,000 machines for freinds
>> and after the end of that
>> I wouldn't be in jail!
>>
>> Any software I write for the GNU will be shared by the WORLD as my
>> personal gift!
>>
>> And I get to share THEIR GREAT software also!
>>
>> I can sell Linux if I want to, make up my own distribution!
>>
>> I can run Linux on an Apple or Mac or Power PC or Amiga or Sun Sparc or
>> even mainframes!
>> My applications are truely portable!  No such portability exists with
>> ANY other OS besides maybe
>> BSD!
>>
>> I could go on but I'm getting tired here!
>>
>> The list is almost GD endless!  I even found a couple of 3d cadcam
>> programs on this thing the other day!
>>
>> Do you realize it's taken me nearly a month of 2 hour evenings to just
>> start up and examine all the
>> software I got with this $45 distribution of Suse 6.4!
>>
>> GEEZEEEE....  A Month!   Say at least 50 hours of my spare time just to
>> review my operating systems
>> capabilities!
>>
>> And if that isn't enough for you, you can go out to the internet and
>> download even more for free!
>> My distribution has close to 2000 peices of software whilst Debian is
>> claiming 4,000 on their CD set!
>>
>> Think of that!  4,000 programs!  4,000 plus the Debian version of Linux
>> for I think it's like $6.50!
>>
>> I've got more things you can create HTML web pages with here than I ever
>> knew existed!
>> I have my OWN apache web server built right into my OS so I can test my
>> web pages out before
>> they hit the net!
>>
>> Anybody who can even remotely claim that Windows is still in the running
>> after having exerienced all
>> that I have here,,,,  you just have to own stock in the company...
>> That's all I can figure...
>>
>> W2K is a dessert compared to my Suse 6.4....

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OSWars 2000 at www.stardock.com
Date: 5 Jun 2000 13:33:14 GMT

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 04:50:15 Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

¯> ˜Theme song from the RJ Friedman Show (WIP):

¯> Someone must have walked in the door with a wheel of cheese.
¯> The RAT just started to sing for its supper.

¯Captain Hypocrisy to the rescue!

Poor little RATTY - he bursts into song, then complains when
it is pointed out to it. Such a miniscule level of self
understanding.

In its behal, I understand it is very musical - quite
inclined to the beat of the drum, I am told. RAT a tat-tat.
RAT a tat-tat.

[RJ]                 OS/2 - Live it, or live with it.
rj friedman          Team ABW
Taipei, Taiwan       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To send email - remove the `yyy'

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 5 Jun 2000 13:36:24 GMT

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 05:14:44 Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

¯> Poor little split-personality RAT.

¯Who would that be, RJ?

Why, you, of course Myrat. Has your personality disorder
advanced to the point where you deny your very existence?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: The sad Linux story
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:37:09 GMT

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000 02:03:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> But emacs, vi, etc predate Linux.
>
>WordPerfect is approximately as old as VI, and modern versions have no
>problem adapting and taking advantage of the new hardware. The original
>version ran on something like a VT52, but modern versions run on
>bitmapped displays with WYSIWYG graphics. If Linux has advantages over
>systems from the 1970's, why aren't the applications taking advantage
>of them?

        You mean like deploying GUI apps like WordPerfect 6,7,8 & 9?

>> But the applications you listed predate Linux. How could LINUX
>> standardize them?
>
>WordPerfect was developed before there were standards in either
>Microsoft Windows or Macintosh, but modern versions have no trouble at
>all adapting.
>
>> Because the apps you listed are not the property of Linux.
>
>Sure they are. They are among the most frequently used applications on
>Linux.

        No, you're now indulging in intentional lying.

        Those tools are Unix legacy: no more no less.

[deletia]

        Besides, they are a part of the GNU project. I could just
        imagine the reaction of RMS to you calling them:
        'the property of Linux'.

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:39:10 GMT

On 4 Jun 2000 21:27:55 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>But, back to the problem of Staroffice not seeing your vfat
>>>mounted partition.  Is it actually mounted as vfat (not dos)
>>>and what happens when you try to browse through the mount
>>>point?
>>
>>I believe it's vfat; everything else can see it, just not StarOffice.
>
>Are you perhaps running 'everything else' as root and staroffice
>as some other user that doesn't have permission to go there?
>What happens as you cross the mount point?

        I dunno, I think vfat partitions are typically at least readable
        by normal users even if you mount it as root. I wouldn't see this
        being a problem unless the mountpoint was activated with options
        that this fellow likely is unaware of.

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Date: 5 Jun 2000 13:41:17 GMT

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 05:27:08 Marty wrote:

¯> P.S. I don't use my computer to play games.

¯You certainly use it to play infantile games on Usenet.

Isn't it amazing how hard the RAT tries to rise above
itself. Sure, they conditioned me to type, it says to
itself, but I aspire to more than that. I know, I know, I'll
say something witty so they can be astounded by my
intellect!

Sigh - too few food pellets or too many electro-shocks when
you were being put through the maze, I'm afraid.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:45:07 GMT

On 5 Jun 2000 03:12:29 GMT, Pascal Haakmat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Daniel Johnson wrote:
[deletia]
>>Unix also does not have even marginal support for
>>games. Home users do insist on their games. OpenGL

        This is simply FALSE. Even fairly bare Unix/X has support for
        all of these things and has for quite some time.

>>is not enough; you must support game controllers,
>>sound, 2D acceleration, and net play.

        Unix has sufficient enough support for these things to deploy
        sufficiently well performing 2D network games with sound (or
        3D network games with joystick support).

>What is the incentive to support these things? Will people flock to
>HaakmatOS after I implement them? Or will they continue to use Windows?

        Some guy like 'Sam' or 'Scott' might want to play games.

        Some guy like 'John' might just think that Linux is cool in general.

>Is it a surprise to you that the only OS in a long time posing at least
>somewhat of a threat to Windows happens to be a non profit endeavour?
[deletia]

                                                                       / | \

From: "Erna Odelfsan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Games on Linux -- starting to look OK
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:45:40 GMT

Just one comment, installing XFree86 4.0 is easy enough either
binaries or sources, can't get a clue about why you're calling it
a nightmare. For sources and manual installation, just reading
carefully and acting, for binaries one, even without reading, just
executing Xinstall.sh and even without reading which the hell you
are saying "yes", it goes fine. Just running xf86config again was
all the big trouble about installing binaries.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:47:11 GMT

On 5 Jun 2000 13:26:18 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>Let's examine the facts.
>
>Oh please do. Though your idea of 'facts' is an interesting terminology.
>
>>Linux has a 3 to 1 networking superiority!
>
>Is that why it appears slower than Windows 98 SE?
>
>>Linux does not allow a single process to crash the entire OS!
>
>But a single process can slow the whole machine down.

        ...based on a rather dubious anecdote.

[deletia]

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: 5 Jun 2000 13:49:39 GMT

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000 15:00:06
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Troughton) wrote:

¯Personally, when/if someone puts a reasonable WPS clone (ie- warp
¯desktop) on an open source system, I'm there.

Amen. Except the underlying OS would also have to include
the multithreading and quality of multitasking.

¯I find the warp desktop to be peerless in it's implementation of the
¯desktop metaphor; better than mac even. It rocks.

Double Amen to that.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Major linux problem "permissions"
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:49:48 GMT

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:52:18 GMT, Full Name <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>To get ASP's to work on IIS you click on the "execute" check box in
>the properties dialog for the virtual directory storing the ASP's.
>
>Linux - you get what you pay for.

        There are such tools present for Apache as well.

        WinDOS has no advantage here.

        Besides, you're a webmaster now: you should be able to do more
        than just flip switches like a trained monkey.

>On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 17:08:24 -0400, post_Reply <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>I've designed a few web pages and added some perl scripts, now the
>>problem, no one can access the scripts, root can't, users can't.  It
>>says "permission denied" or something like that.  I've tried every way
>>possible to fix this, maybe there is a bug with mandrake 6.2 ???
>>
>>I've set the permission for everyone to excute,read,etc...And the cgi
>>is in the right directory.
>>
>>I never seen anything like this before, I've posted msg. on every
>>linux ng, and everyone more or less says the same thing "chmod XXX,
>>etc"
>>
>>Well, I've been over everything, and this is really holding back my
>>learning process.
>>
>>I'm ready to build another linux machine and try again, or maybe just
>>D/L a program that will allow me to program in perl on my windows
>>machine.
>>
>>I want to set up a linux web server, I have all the how-to's, book,
>>etc.  But with all the problems, one has to wonder: there has got to
>>be a better way to do this.
>>
>>I love Linux, but when you are trying to learn something and the OS is
>>holding you back, that is not acceptable.  With linux there are way to
>>many silly undocumented problems specific to one machine, one install,
>>or one distro.
>>
>>I'd love is someone can hold me get past this hurdle so I can continue
>>to learn more and more....

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory L. Hansen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 5 Jun 2000 13:54:57 GMT

In article <GUN_4.159762$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Come Home <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"John Wiltshire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 13:52:17 GMT, Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Umm...  I'm in Australia.
>>
>> Sounds like the US pays doctors better so the doctors move south.
>> Doesn't sound like a Canadian problem, but a demand for doctors in the
>> US.
>>

>Yes. That's driven by supply-demand.
>
>US needs more doctors because Americans are less healthy
>and demend more for health care services. A recent research
>had shown that Canadians are among the healthiest in the world
>(ranked #12, US being ranked #20). We Canadians have less
>doctors and less medical equipment, but we are still healthier
>and live longer than Americans.

Did it say how you Canadians pulled that off?  Less red meat?  The bracing
weather?

--
If I had a nickel for everytime someone said "If I had a nickel for every
time someone said..."...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:55:07 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when [EMAIL PROTECTED] would say:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Please develop a list of aliases which would be as powerful as VMS's
>> > abbreivation system. Clue: it cannot be done, because aliases are
>> > fragile and not possible.
>>
>> For your former DOS users:
>>
>> alias copy='cp'
>> alias del='rm'
>>
>> and so on.
>>
>> Put this in /etc/bashrc.
>
>I know that you are really new to this, but VMS is not a variant of
>DOS. Although both VMS and DOS has roots in RT-11, so there are
>similarities.
>
>Let's see here:
>[tsm]$ cat >> ~/.bashrc
>alias copy='cp'
>alias del='rm'
>[tsm]$ source ~/.bashrc
>[tsm]$ copy/recursive [.mail] [.mailbak]
>bash: copy/recursive: No such file or directory
>[tsm]$ copy /recursive [.mail] [.mailbak]
>cp: copying multiple files, but last argument ([.mailbak]) is not a
>directory
>Try `cp --help' for more information.
>
>Doh! Aliases are too fragile to support VMS syntax. Try again. Clue:
>the only way to do it is write a new shell - the Unix shells are not
>flexible enough.

The Unix shells are not _infinitely_ flexible; if you try to create
a completely different kind of syntax than they support, you'll
obviously run into problems.

In particular, they generally tokenize based on having spaces between
components, which means that using the syntax you want to replicate
would indeed mean having to change the parser.

The fact that they cannot be stretched to the degree you propose does
not necessarily mean they are _deficient_; merely that their flexibility
may lie in other areas than you are trying to exercise.

After all, you wouldn't likely find it fair for me to demand that
I be able to use, in DCL,
        myhostnames=(localhost godel knuth dantzig ntlug.org)
        compctl -k myhostnames telnet rlogin rsh ssh ping

        myftphostnames=(godel knuth dantzig ntlug.org hex.net)
        compctl -k myftphostnames ftp ncftp
so that I could type in "telnet," and then hit "d," and TAB,
and watch the shell expand that to "dantzig".

The point is, there's more than one way to play the "bashing the
shell" game, and it's _not_ a one-way battle.

If _you_ specifically require that "COPY/RECURSIVE" behave in the way
that you describe, then it seems reasonable that _you_ should use VMS,
as it provides that behaviour.  It is not The One True Way, and if
other systems work somewhat differently, that does not make them either
necessarily wrong, nor does it make _them_ The One True Way.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Yet Another Analogy: Military Aircraft.
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:55:08 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when The Ghost In The Machine
would say:
>Since this is slightly off-topic, I'll briefly mention it; I saw
>a program that claims -- and it looks like a good claim, too -- that
>the Hindenberg didn't explode and burn because of the hydrogen, but
>because of the powdered aluminum and some other chemical that coated
>its fabric (the same constitutents as solid rocket fuel, it turned out!),
>and improper charge dissipation from the fabric panels, leading to
>an electrical spark and...whoosh, there goes the fabric coating.
>Note the color of the flame -- it's not blue.

_Interesting_.

Certainly the "anti-hydrogen lobby" as well as the "anti-German lobby"
went for the easy contention that Zeppelins were German and dangerous.
It would be most interesting if there were more to it than the
hydrogen...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: 5 Jun 2000 13:57:44 GMT

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000 13:56:55 "Come Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

¯> ¯BTW. Many of (even normal or poor) high-tech workers in Silicon
¯> ¯Valley can enjoy immediate or early retirement in Canada...

¯> So much for the '""Brain Drain" to flow back.'

¯Microsoft three way split to pay the due of "Brain Drain":
¯
¯       Microsoft Canada
¯       Microsoft India
¯       Microsoft China

Not trying to spoil your little daydream with a dose of
logic - but if the returning "Brain Drain" starts enjoying
"immediate or early retirement in Canada," it's pretty
obvious that the effect is the same as not having the Brain
Drain return to begin with.

Hence the "So much for the '""Brain Drain" to flow back.'
comment.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pascal Haakmat)
Date: 5 Jun 2000 14:07:23 GMT

JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>What is the incentive to support these things? Will people flock to
>>HaakmatOS after I implement them? Or will they continue to use Windows?
>
>       Some guy like 'Sam' or 'Scott' might want to play games.
>
>       Some guy like 'John' might just think that Linux is cool in general.

IOW, there is no business case.

--
Rate your CSMA savvy by identifying the writing styles of
ancient and recent, transient and perdurable CSMA inhabitants: