From: "Dirk Gently" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nice link
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 23:20:46 GMT

Does anyone know any others?  I am really interested.  A perfect way to
crash Windows in less that 25 seconds!!!!!

--
Jeff Lacy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:N16F4.2477$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "David D. Huff Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 has "issues"
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 23:20:48 GMT

Bob a bigger moron I can't recall! You write this shit like you believe
it! Do you expect someone to add another PC for every 51 IP addresses
they administer? You are an ass Bob.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Subject: Re: distribpricing
Date: 1 Apr 2000 23:29:06 GMT

JAS ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hopefully in the future Linux will still be the choice that smaller
: businesses can opt  for rather than spending a lot of money for NT and (even
: more trying) to keep it running as stable as NT.
: I appreiciate your imput.

I don't feel that RedHat and Caldera are doing anything to injure the
spirit of Linux by raising their prices slightly.  I haven't followed
Caldera's, but I know that the basic version of RedHat 6.1 was selling for
$49 Canadian, which isn't all that unreasonable.

In any case, the important thing is that the software is still free.  A
small business can buy one copy of RedHat for 50 bucks (if they want the
telephone support, the printed manual, and the bumper sticker), and
install it on ALL their machines.  That's still a lot cheaper than NT.

If they don't care about those extras, they can do the install right off
the 'net (or burn their own CD from a download ISO image).  Or, if they're
not equipped for that, they can order a CD from cheapbytes for 2 bucks.

Linux still feels very free to me.

My only possible concern with distributions raising their retail prices is
that it might hurt their sales.  If RedHat ended up making less money, and
not more, on it's sales, that would be a loss for us all, I think.

--
David Steinberg                         -o)   Boycott Amazon.com!  Fight
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC     / \   the "1-Click Order" patent:

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 18:30:03 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 10 things with Linux I wish I knew before i jumped

"Douglas E. Mitton" wrote:

> Yes, I agree with some things on your list ...
>
> - Windows users never have to deal with partitioning.  That is one of
> the toughest concepts the new Linux installer has to contend with.
> Now, buy it pre-installed and its as easy as buying a computer with
> Windows pre-installed!   :-)

Partitioning is only necessary if you are installing Linux along side
Windows.   While there certainly are advantages to creating multiple
partitions for a Linux install, the simplest thing is to just wipe the disk
clean and install in one big partition.   Of course simpler yet is buying a
computer with Linux pre-installed.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas E. Mitton)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 00:58:44 GMT

I find partitioning very valuable.  My system has 3 hard drives and a
CD-RW.  The drives are divided up into 2+Gig partitions for:
- My primary Slack 7 installation.
- A Backup of my primary Slack (On another drive).
- Mandrake installation for reference as this is what our LUG
recommends.
- Win 98 ... used mainly for Wine but its bootable too.
- A CD image partition to roll-my-own.
- A couple more spare ones used to try new distributaions,
installation investigation, more CD image space.  Generally just in
case I need it.

I just plain like the flexibility of it all!   :-)

Besides, not many new Linux users want to go cold turkey, they just
want to see what all the excitement is about.  I think some think it
is just another application to load, dabble in, decide whether they
like it or not then dump it.

I'm really rambling now!   :-)

Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Douglas E. Mitton" wrote:
>
>> Yes, I agree with some things on your list ...
>>
>> - Windows users never have to deal with partitioning.  That is one of
>> the toughest concepts the new Linux installer has to contend with.
>> Now, buy it pre-installed and its as easy as buying a computer with
>> Windows pre-installed!   :-)
>>

>Partitioning is only necessary if you are installing Linux along side
>Windows.   While there certainly are advantages to creating multiple
>partitions for a Linux install, the simplest thing is to just wipe the disk
>clean and install in one big partition.   Of course simpler yet is buying a
>computer with Linux pre-installed.
>
>Gary

   Doug Mitton - Brockville, Ontario, Canada
                 'City of the Thousand Islands'
         EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
          http://www.cybertap.com/dmitton
         Other: mitton.dyndns.org
   SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
From: "Mike Ruskai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 01:07:40 GMT

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 23:20:48 GMT, David D. Huff Jr. wrote:

>Bob a bigger moron I can't recall! You write this shit like you believe
>it! Do you expect someone to add another PC for every 51 IP addresses
>they administer? You are an ass Bob.

I'll be charitable and not call you a moron because you're apparently
completely incapable of discerning irony.

--
 - Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BEOS 5 the new star in OS's
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 19:12:41 -0600

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> Saying "GNOME is slow" or "KDE is slow" is silly anyway, since neither
> is a single application. Can you actually explain *what* feels slow
> under GNOME? You're probably using something that is slowing some
> component down, maybe your X authorisation has got problems, which
> means long waiting periods whenever something tries to contact the
> session manager or ORBit, or maybe you're using a pixmap-based GTK+
> theme.

o god no it's horrible with pixmap themes, nothing wrong with my X

maybe I outta give it another try

> > Also, can anyone explain why gnome puts a .gnome/ under /?  What's
> > up with that?
>
> GNOME does not do that. Something must be broken on your machine.
> Maybe / is your root's $HOME and you once ran a GNOME application as
> root.

nah ... I don't know  ... I installed them with debs, just to be able to run the
gnome programs that I like (most all of them) .. I've never even run X as root,
and root's $HOME is certainly not "/"

--
Tim Kelley

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: 1 Apr 2000 16:22:09 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "David says...

>Bob a bigger moron I can't recall! You write this shit like you believe
>it! Do you expect someone to add another PC for every 51 IP addresses
>they administer? You are an ass Bob.

Why you think that?

If you think about it, a PC + a single copy of win2000 professional server
windows edition, will be much less than what you would pay an
administrator in just 2 days to monitor the IP's usage not going
over 51.

Would you really rather have a full fledge MSCE engineer sit all
day just monitor IP count and when it gets close to 51 to disable
incomming connections resulting is much more losses to the ISP
from customer complaints, than simply buy an additional copy of
win2000 professional server windows edition and load it on some PC to handle
the additional load?

It it not like 51 is such a small number to start with.

do the math, with only 100 copies of win2000 professional server
windows edition, an ISP can support 5,100 IP's !!  yes, 5,100 IP's
all connected at the same time.  100 copies of win2000 professional
windows server edition will pay for itself in few days at this rate.

A real ISP, should have 100's of additional copies of win2000 professional
windows server edition in store for those rare days where additonal load is
needed. They can use 'just-in-time' type inventory control for this purpose.

Tell me, which ISP do you know that would need more than 5,100 IP's
to be in use at the same time?

bob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 01:24:52 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote on 1 Apr 2000 00:34:24 -0800 <8c4cag$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> I do not know why you guys are making a big deal of this issue.
>>>
>>>If an ISP expects more than 51 connections to come in, they
>>>simply buy an additional copy of WIn2000 Server windows edition.
>>>
>>>The ISP needs to do their job, they need to montior
>>>how many IP's they use, and make sure they divide that
>>>number by 51. The resulting number is the number of win2000
>>>server windows edition they need to purshase from MS to meer
>>>their needs.
>
>> Considering that a class C subnet can support about 250 users, [*]
>> this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me personally.
>> Even a '/6' network has 64 IPS in its subnet.  Why can't Microsoft
>> handle the remaining 11 or 12 (13th is reserved for broadcast)?
>
>HAaaaahhhahahaa...
>
>Take the Microsoft TCP/IP test and find out....:)

Only problem is that I don't have 63 boxes lying around.
Or is this test on the Web somewhere, multiple choice? :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- A computer (a) has Microsoft software, (b) runs
                    everything horribly, (c) requires a reboot every

------------------------------

From: Kurt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 20:26:26 -0500

"Douglas E. Mitton" wrote:

> Yes, I agree with some things on your list ...
>
> - Windows users never have to deal with partitioning.  That is one of
> the toughest concepts the new Linux installer has to contend with.
> Now, buy it pre-installed and its as easy as buying a computer with
> Windows pre-installed!   :-)

It's almost unfortunate that most people using windows don't use at
least two partitions to separate the OS from user files and data.  It's
a good idea with any OS to protect data just in case the OS gets
corrupted.

- Kurt

- Kurt

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 19:35:23 -0600

JAS wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> I am wanting to get opinions from Linux users about the rising costs of both
> Caldera and Red Hat Linux distributions.  I use both Red Hat and Caldera 2.3
> and like them much better than NT (I am an MCSE).  My concern however is
> that the rising prices of these distributions will compromise the spirit of
> Linux.  I have enjoyed offering small businesses great opportunities to have
> quality information systems using Linux (Samba, Sendmail, Ipchains, etc.).
> Hopefully in the future Linux will still be the choice that smaller
> businesses can opt  for rather than spending a lot of money for NT and (even
> more trying) to keep it running as stable as NT.
> I appreiciate your imput.

1. the distros are mainly for newbies who need the manuals and other goodies
that come with them.  Also consider that even though you may pay $80 for that
Red hat or SuSE cd, you can install it on as many machines as you like.  Enjoy!
just heed the application licenses for the commercial software that comes with
them.

2. http://www.cheapbytes.com

3. you can download the iso of disk one from ftp.redhat.com.
You can get the contrib rpm's from contrib.redhat.com, tons of stuff there,
around 1200MB worth of RPM's.

4. just get on with it and use Debian.  More conservative than the corporate
distributions, and if you've used Red Hat 6.x or Red Hat 5.0, you would know
why.

Debian is leagues above the corporate distributions.  After Debian, Red Hat,
SuSE, etc simply don't impress me that much anymore.  Caldera can be nice if you
need Netware tools.  SuSE still has merit if you like having an entire internets
worth of Free Software in one package.

--
Tim Kelley

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: OT:RANT:Long: If anyone develops an IDE for Linux PLEASE NO PROJECT FILES
(or MDI for that matter)
Date: 2 Apr 2000 09:41:49 +0800

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000 16:58:12 +0100,
 Robert Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Richard Corfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> If anyone develops an integrated development environment for Linux can
>> I say just one thing
>>
>>  P L E A S E   D O   N O T   U S E   P R O J E C T   F I L E S !!!!!
>>
>> You have a wonderful mechanism for storing the structure of a
>> project. You can organise things like source code and modules into a
>> nice hierarchical tree. Its called the Native File
>> System. Re-inventing this structured storage using project files is
>> just a plain nuisance - especially when they get out of sync. The
>> native file system is something that every program has access to, from
>> the development environment to the source control system. Why abstract
>> it behind another layer that only the IDE knows about?
>
>It's the buy this and it does it all for you syndrome...  the less you know
>the more dependant you are on their software.  Then they can sell you
>another tool, a source code archiver, to organise your source, which then
>ends up in Yet Another DataBase.
>
>I've found IDE's just a plain nuisance full stop.  The open, approach allows
>you to choose an editor, source code manager, compiler, all seperately.
>Context sensitive editors can do the magic source language dependant tricks,
>but OH big but, they probably help to keep you on the straight and narrow of
>using the standard language, again avoiding vendor lock in.
>
>Rob

I started C coding with Linux, only recently, and have not had any formal
training nor Windows methodology experience.

I use CVS, out of TKCVS for project management, along with "Elvis" as my editor
and found my first project, a Linux based parallel port programmer for the
Atmel At89C2051, a breeze to do.

All files are in the CVS (which allows friends to get the latest source), the
makefile does the work when I click on the Elvis "make" button and Elvis opens
as many error files automatically as are generated, for me to fix the source.

Do I need anything else ? I sure feel very satisfied the way things are.

(coding in C only)

Actually I think I must have a "IDE" as these seperate tools, CVS, TKCVS,
make, and Elvis, are well integrated into my design environment ;-)

Kind Regards
Terry
--
**** To reach me, use [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux, and has been

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 17:43:16 -0500
From: Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "David says...
> >
> >Bob a bigger moron I can't recall! You write this shit like you believe
> >it! Do you expect someone to add another PC for every 51 IP addresses
> >they administer? You are an ass Bob.
> >

> Why you think that?
>
> If you think about it, a PC + a single copy of win2000 professional server
> windows edition, will be much less than what you would pay an
> administrator in just 2 days to monitor the IP's usage not going
> over 51.

I wouldn't want to worry so I would not use Windows2000.

> Would you really rather have a full fledge MSCE engineer sit all
> day just monitor IP count and when it gets close to 51 to disable
> incomming connections resulting is much more losses to the ISP
> from customer complaints, than simply buy an additional copy of
> win2000 professional server windows edition and load it on some PC to handle
> the additional load?
>
> It it not like 51 is such a small number to start with.

It's not as if 51 is a magic number that is justifiable.

You talk about Sysadmin costs when you justify deploying more boxes to
work around the limitation -- well in Information Technology 101 we all
learned the more boxes you have to administer the more staff you need.

Your solution might be the lesser of two evils -

> do the math, with only 100 copies of win2000 professional server
> windows edition, an ISP can support 5,100 IP's !!  yes, 5,100 IP's
> all connected at the same time.  100 copies of win2000 professional
> windows server edition will pay for itself in few days at this rate.
>
> A real ISP, should have 100's of additional copies of win2000 professional
> windows server edition in store for those rare days where additonal load is
> needed. They can use 'just-in-time' type inventory control for this purpose.
>
> Tell me, which ISP do you know that would need more than 5,100 IP's
> to be in use at the same time?

Mine.  But the IP limit isn't 5,100, the limit per system is 51.

5,100 is 100 individual Windows 200 Professional Servers that need to be
serviced by you MS certified "engineers".  Is this how you all plan to
get rich?  Seems like a non competitive business model and a real waste
of hardware.

And what is "a real ISP" - does any ISP who is cost sensitive not a real
ISP.  If you have to ask how much Windows 2000 costs to deploy then
you're not a real ISP.  I hope there isn;t that much contempt for the
ISP, the customer.

And if I do the math 100 of copies of W2K are hundreds of thousands of
dollars just in MS software licenses.  Eliminate the software and you
hundreds of thousands of dollars and remove the 51 IP limitation.  Is
this that difficult to put together?  Erase the OS and you solve the
problem, save money reduce consulting.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: 2 Apr 2000 01:47:09 GMT

wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote on 1 Apr 2000 17:01:01 GMT <8c5a0d$24sd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy The Ghost In The Machine
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Considering that a class C subnet can support about 250 users, [*]
>>> this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me personally.
>>> Even a '/6' network has 64 IPS in its subnet.  Why can't Microsoft
>>> handle the remaining 11 or 12 (13th is reserved for broadcast)?
>>
>>HAaaaahhhahahaa...
>>
>>Take the Microsoft TCP/IP test and find out....:)

> Only problem is that I don't have 63 boxes lying around.
> Or is this test on the Web somewhere, multiple choice? :-)

Try sticking all the IPs on the same box/its not available on the web
AFAIK/and yes, it is multiple choice...:)

Microsoft TCP/IP is a fun topic...Theres all kinds of things about TCP/IP
that I bet you didnt know...:)

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: 2 Apr 2000 01:48:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> A real ISP, should have 100's of additional copies of win2000 professional
> windows server edition in store for those rare days where additonal load is
> needed. They can use 'just-in-time' type inventory control for this purpose.

"A real ISP" wouldnt touch W2K server with a ten foot pole at this time.

And none of them have.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: 2 Apr 2000 01:49:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Tell me, which ISP do you know that would need more than 5,100 IP's
> to be in use at the same time?

Verio, RCN, Virgin, xs4all, Mindspring, Telocity, Erols, etc, etc,
etc.

In short, any ISP that sells cable/DSL.

And lots and lots of others too.

=====yttrx