From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Do not like Windows but ...
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:51:11 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >>    I do not smoke, do not drink, I save a lot of money that I can
> >> spend as I prefer.
> >
> >I'd prefer to spend it on airline tickets and overseas hotels.
>
>         You can find some really shocking travel deals on the web... '-)

I know.   I tracked down a ticket wholesaler.

On 48-hours notice, I picked up round-trip airfare from Detroit to
London
for only $350 plus airport fees (about another $100)

> [deletia]

>                                                                / | \

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: Alan Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action (was:
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:03:38 -0500

For some unknown reason Henry Blaskowski wrote:

> In talk.politics.libertarian Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, but what does "own it" mean ? Does the fact that you "own" something
> > entitle you to do anything you like with it ? All this assuming that I
> > accept without question the above dogma.
>
> Yes, it means you can set terms on the conditions of sale of it,
> you can set the price, it means that whatever you can get people
> to agree to is OK, as long as there is no force or fraud.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/4489.html

    "It looks like DRI is urging them [Vobis] to focus on
    DR-DOS ... ; Lieven [Vobis' president] is complaining
    about the per processor license - he does not want to
    pay $9 with every computer and thinks about shipping
    DR-DOS and MS-DOS."
    -- Joachim Kempin (in charge of Microsoft OEM Sales)
       to Mike Hallman (Microsoft President).

    "I took the opportunity to negotiate with him [Lieven]
    in German, sign our offer as is... Second option -
    scratch the DOS clause [refuse Microsoft's demand that
    Vobis sign a per processor license for MS-DOS]; and pay
    $35 for Windows instead of $15... I have a bet with Jeff
    that they will sign as is. In my judgment they will hurt
    if they do not ship WIN and paying $35 for it is out of
    the question."
    -- Kempin to Butler, March 26, 1991

Looks a lot like force to me.
--
"I don't believe in anti-anything.  A man has to have a
program; you have to be *for* something, otherwise you

------------------------------

From: Doc Shipley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: LILO problems -- Any suggestions?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 03:22:52 GMT

Jeff Waller wrote:
> 2) Yanking out the affected harddrive.  Perhaps the boot loader will
> function differently if the drive is not accesable at all.

Won't work. lilo looks at /etc/fstab to load. If /etc is gone, lilo
pukes.

--
 Doc Shipley
   Network Stuff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: If Linux is desktop ready ...
Date: 27 Jun 2000 03:26:31 GMT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:25:14 GMT, Pedro Iglesias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>... then tell me why the Hell a home user should to care about compiling
>sources ? If he/she gets binaries, what the Hell open source is useful to ?
>If he/she learns the ./configure;make;make install procedure, why the Hell
>should he/she know that awk 1.0.4 prevents gtk from compiling correctly ?

Naive users don't benefit directly from open source any more than they
benefitted directly from, say, higher level languages or object technology.
But it does make life easier (and production cheaper) for developers, which
"trickles down" to users.

And when the "user" is, say, an embedded device developer or someone who
needs to customize the OS for some reason, I think the benefits are pretty
obvious.  The result for the consumer is a cheaper, more reliable product.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: 26 Jun 2000 20:44:52 -0700

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:50:17 -0500

On 26 Jun 2000 17:19:04 +0100, Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Kenneth> Even majority decisions may be unjust.  Mob rule is not
>  Kenneth> identical to just government.
>
>        This might be true, but I do not think that this is reason
>for not having majority decisions. Also I think that there is a
>difference between "mob rule" and government. It is possible that we
>could form a government involving the majority of the population and
>that it would not be a mob. Actually this is nice because it gives me
>a chance to make an on topic point. The free software movement shows
>that a cooperative society can exist without degrading into mob rule.

I think is a very good reason for not allowing majority decisions in
the most important aspects of our life.  The whole point of the Bill of
Rights (the first ten amendments to the US Constitution) is to take away
the power of the majority to infringe some select rights of the minority.

I'm not sure that enough time has passed to pass any judgment on the
free software movement.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  http://www.tranquility.net/~kturvey/resume/resume.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.politics.economics
Subject: Re: Microsoft error message (Was: Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh)
Date: 27 Jun 2000 05:02:54 GMT

In article <8j8kf3$poq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Lee Hollaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     Non fatal error <number> detected.  Contact beta support.
>See http://www.drdos.com/fullstory/factstat.html#aardm

>The message was included in five different components of Windows 3.1,
>including setup and the program used to start Windows.  Each program
>that checked for DR DOS was a little different, and each had the
>portion that checked for DR DOS (but not that checked for OS/2)
>encrypted.

        Encrypted? That suggests something to hide.
--
Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train

------------------------------

From: "tony roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS's ...
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:07:20 -0700

I always love it when linux users site all the different processors
supported but when I say different hardware I'm not talking cpu's.

"Leslie Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8j8o69$1i9e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

------------------------------

From: Sheryl Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 05:21:43 GMT

Put in a dos boot floppy, then do the fdisk /mbr command, or you could
boot from a linux boot floppy, log in and reinstall lilo to the mbr by
running lilo.

- Pat

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 05:58:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (2:1) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >> I am aware of the distinction that Linux and KDE are two seperate
> >> objects. However, it does not seem unreasonable to me to lump the
two
> >> together as KDE is an example of a Windowing system on Linux.
> >
> >X is the windowing system. KDE is a desktop.
>
> Linux I see as a complete system. I lump all of X, KDE and Gnome
together.
> In Windows case there is DOS and Windows, but DOS is pretty much
ignorable
> (I know it's there) and Windows can be treated as one package. So,
> naturally, I lump Linux together as Linux, X and KDE.

When you do that you create a gross misconception, becuase different
linux'es are different. You may be running Mandrake 7 + KDE but I
running Debian potato + Windowmaker. Now if there's a bug in your KDE
how can you say it's a Linux bug when it does not affect my Windowmaker?
What about a FreeBSD user experiencing the same KDE bug. Is it then a
FreeBSD bug?

The *nix world is not homogenous like the Windows world, and that
inlcudes different distrubtions and configurations of Linux. Everybody's
running different UI's on different libraries and different kernels.

> I'm looking at it as
> an alternative to Windows.

That's nice but don't expect Linux to be like Windows. It isn't.

Perry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:08:23 -0500

On 26 Jun 2000 17:19:04 +0100, Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Kenneth> Even majority decisions may be unjust.  Mob rule is not
>  Kenneth> identical to just government.
>
>        This might be true, but I do not think that this is reason
>for not having majority decisions. Also I think that there is a
>difference between "mob rule" and government. It is possible that we
>could form a government involving the majority of the population and
>that it would not be a mob. Actually this is nice because it gives me
>a chance to make an on topic point. The free software movement shows
>that a cooperative society can exist without degrading into mob rule.

I think this is a very good reason for not allowing majority decisions in
the most important aspects of our life.  The whole point of the Bill of
Rights (the first ten amendments to the US Constitution) is to take away
the power of the majority to infringe some select rights of the minority.

I'm not sure that enough time has gone by to pass any judgment on the
free software movement.  I hope you are correct.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:10:52 -0500

On 26 Jun 2000 20:44:52 -0700, Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    Stefaan> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>
>    Stefaan> The French revolution gave us Napoleon, the Russian
>    Stefaan> revolution gave us Stalin, etc. Revolutions serve the
>    Stefaan> purpose of power-hungry individuals, not of the general
>    Stefaan> populace.  The American revolution was an exception
>    Stefaan> because it was a small bunch of wealthy land-owners who
>    Stefaan> dumped an inept king. We forget that when they wrote "we
>    Stefaan> believe all men to be created equal", they really meant
>    Stefaan> "all white Anglo-Saxon Protestant males".
>
>Actually, they really meant "all white males above a certain age who
>own a certain amount of property."  As one of the "Founding Fathers"
>put it at the opening of the Constitutional Convention in 1787, "we
>suffer from an excess of democracy."

For the most part you are correct, but I think that the meaning of that
passage was much debated probably differed depending on which delegate
you asked.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  http://www.tranquility.net/~kturvey/resume/resume.html
  We must all hang together, or most assuredly, we will all hang
  separately.
        -- Benjamin Franklin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Subject: Re: MS Windows WM
Date: 27 Jun 2000 06:13:30 GMT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:31:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, okay, I'll grant you that Sawfish is very configurable, but
> really I was more talking about the entire desktop environment, the way
> explorer works with Windows to provide your desktop etc.  Gnome uses
> Midnight Commander to do the same thing, but not nearly as successfully.

Well, I'm looking forward to Nautilus.  Aparently it has some very neat
features.  For example, rest the mouse over an MP3 file and it'll play
the first few seconds according to a preview I recently read.

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano) - ICQ #8899775
Stellar Legacy project member - http://www.stellarlegacy.tsx.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Subject: Re: Windows98
Date: 27 Jun 2000 06:13:30 GMT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:57:10 -0500, Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tim Palmer wrote:
>
> > So how is the proletrareit doing you STOOPID COMMY!
>
> This guy has got to be a joke.  I hope so, because someone this
> fucking stupid is almost not even imaginable.

My guess is that "Tim Palmer" is S The Next Generation.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why X is better than Terminal Server
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:11:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Generally speaking its very hard to take out OpenVMS. It has limits on
the
> number of spawned processes you can create. Linux doesn't have this
limit
> by default - maybe it should?

Redhat Linux and Debian GNU/Linux do. They default to 256 processes,
which is a little high but reasonable enough to allow root to sluggishly
log in and do a killall. You can set them lower if you need to.

It sounds like Mandrake is screwed up. What is the output of 'ulimit -a'
on your Mandrake system?

Perry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Upgrades (Mandrake 7.0 to 7.1)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:31:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:
> I have heard that upgrading Linux is ...

... as easy as

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

on a Debian system, and it will automagically download and install all
the packages needed for the upgrade. No need to even reboot, unless you
are upgrading your kernel.

Perry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:34:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:

> Now Linux has RPM files, an invention to partially help with
installations.
> However, the effect of requiring other packages is a real pain in the
neck
> on Linux.

In Debian you just type:

apt-get install <package-name>

and it will resolve dependancies for you and then download the required
packages and install them.

Perry

From: Sascha Bohnenkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: What UNIX is good for.
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:53:10 +0200

> >*snipage*
> >> To the OS with the most markit shere. In other words, some version of Windows.
> >well linux on '86 does run photoshop right now, use the vmware-shell
> >no problem at all
> >
> >> Windows supports .JPG's just fine.
> >does it support 3d-wavelet-compression?
>
> Yes. Does UNIX?

of course

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:48:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:

> >The man pages are very superior in my opinion.  The windows help
system
> >is as near to useless as it's possible to get, in that it has no
actual
> >information in it.  I recall it also has a significant security hole
in
> >it as well.  The reputation of the windows help system is so bad that
> >there have been jokes written about it..
>
> Man pages do not have hyperlinks - Windows help does.

Under both the KDE and Gnome help browsers they do, as do the info pages
as well.

Perry