From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.politics.economics
Subject: Re: M$ Exposed (was Re: Oracle's Dirty Tricks Department)
Date: 30 Jun 2000 12:45:04 -0500

>>> Welcome to Washington DC.
>>
>>What's funny about this is that earlier in this thread, the MS bashers
>>called me all sorts of names for claiming that politics and influence
>>had anything to do with this trial, and claimed that federal judges
>>were above this sort of petty politics.  Now they are claiming that
>>this 'proves' that MS influenced the trial and apparently corrupted
>>the judge.  Once again, this is typical of the MS bashers -- their
>
>       Actually, Oracle is only doing what the yellow journalists
>       and muckrackers should already be doing in this instance.
>       They must all be asleep at their posts...

Yes, it is odd that the reporters didn't find this on their own.
You'd think Microsoft owned the TV networks or something.

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:48:58 -0700

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> >> are you talking about windows-nt or 0.98 ?
> >
> >I believe the thread was referencing Win2K. I have not myself ever installed NT or
>98 from fresh. I've only upgraded a Win95OSR2.1
> >Win98 and then WIn98SE. I added a dual/triple boot of NT4.0 and Win2K to my Win98
>computer.. and upgraded several NT4.0 to Win2K.
> >The only "fresh" installs I have done were Win2K, and they went without a hitch. My
>description of simply inserting the Cd, sipping
> >some coffee was pretty much what I did.
>
> Just for fun, find a machine that came preloaded with Win95OSR2 on
> a large hard drive and turn it into a dual-boot 95/NT system.
> You'll get a better feeling for other people's experience with
> Windows installs...  (If you haven't tried this, NT won't work
> on the VFAT32 drive, so you have to reformat and re-install
> win95, and win95 won't boot from the CD, so you need a floppy
> with CD drivers just to get started, then you have to reboot
> each side about 20 times as you install service packs, IE
> updates, and all your applications).
>
>   Les Mikesell
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Why you would want to install NT onto the same partition as 9x is beyond me. You could
of course use Partition Magic to create a new
partition for NT while preserving your existing 9x data. Or you could just put NT onto
another HD.

------------------------------

From: Laura Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Uptime 6 months and counting.
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:58:09 -0400

> My server and other "mission critical" hosts have been up and running now
> for more than six months!

Congratulations!

--
"Sureshot" Laura
http://pcwranglers.com/

------------------------------

From: Laura Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm not ready. (Re: The "Furniture Scale")
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:18:22 -0400

Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Having lurked in this group, I have seen a number of posts from people who
> seem to have installed Linux without realising the cost/benefit map of the
> situation. I have therefore comiled the following "Furniture Scale" as a
> guide to determine whether Linux is likely to be useful to a given person.

> c) Bought second-hand furniture, stripped it back to the wood, removed that
> nasty bits and filled the holes, sanded it, stained the wood and finally
> varnished it ?

> - One of the more 'user-friendly' Linux distributions would be recommended.

Thanks Martin.  I have tried building my own furniture from scratch but
it was a disaster, LOL.  The stripping, etc. thing is something I do. I
make my own curtains.  I build my own PCs and code my own HTML.  I also
gave birth at home...3 times!  I obviously have a high tolerance (short
memory) for pain. :)

I want to dual-boot Win98 SE and Linux (Definite 7.0).  I'm still
preparing for the setup ordeal. I tried with an earlier version of
Redhat (5.2) and virtually none of my hardware was supported.  I still
am finding that my hardware is too funky to allow for an easy install.
Kinda hard to advocate for Linux when I can't even get to the point
where I can try it!

I believe in what Linux and the open-source community is trying to
accomplish, but without people like me leading the charge the average
person is not going to consider Linux...and they are right.

Tell ya what:  You guys help me puzzle this setup stuff out and get me
up and running, and I promise to thank you very much and advocate for
Linux too.  :)

--
"Sureshot" Laura
http://pcwranglers.com/

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: 30 Jun 2000 11:13:58 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> >Unix systems are supposed to be up for long times. Not like those window
> >joke things.
>
>       Our solaris and irix boxes don't go down for any reason short
>       of a power outtage.

My Solaris workstation crashed on me for the first time ever a couple
of weeks ago.  I was running some very questionable beta CAD software
used for IC design.  I've lost Openwindows before, but this was a
full-blown kernel panic.  Never seen one before.  It was ugly!

That workstation hadn't been rebooted in over a year, and then it was
only because of a hardware upgrade.  You have to try _really_ hard to
break Solaris.

--
Aaron J. Ginn                     Motorola SPS
Phone: (480) 814-4463             SemiCustom Solutions

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Kelley)
Subject: Re: Corel Photo Paint for Linux...
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:36:45 GMT

it's at ftplinux2.corel.com

http://www.iww.org

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I hope you trolls are happy...
Date: 30 Jun 2000 18:44:10 GMT

First I kept hearing over and over that "Linux doesn't support wheeled
mice!" ad nauseum.  So, just to prove what a load of crap that was,
I went out and bought a nice Logitech PS2/USB one, plugged it in,
adjusted a couple of config files and had no trouble since.

Next came the "Linux doesn't support USB!" mantra.  Being the lazy
bastard that I am, I never got around to adding the support.
But I've finally snapped.  After a kernel recompile (still easier
than compiling Perl) and a couple more config file updates, now
that same mouse is on USB.

So, that's to all your incessant trolling and bitching, I've
finally gotten around to installing USB.  I hope you're happy
with yourselves.  :P

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 30 Jun 2000 13:42:20 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Josiah Fizer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Just for fun, find a machine that came preloaded with Win95OSR2 on
>> a large hard drive and turn it into a dual-boot 95/NT system.
>> You'll get a better feeling for other people's experience with
>> Windows installs...  (If you haven't tried this, NT won't work
>> on the VFAT32 drive, so you have to reformat and re-install
>> win95, and win95 won't boot from the CD, so you need a floppy
>> with CD drivers just to get started, then you have to reboot
>> each side about 20 times as you install service packs, IE
>> updates, and all your applications).
>>

>Why you would want to install NT onto the same partition as 9x is beyond me. You
>could of course use Partition Magic to create a new
>partition for NT while preserving your existing 9x data. Or you could just put NT
>onto another HD.

Try it.  I put NT on a different HD, but the real problem is getting
the dual boot configuration.  NT can't even see the FAT32 drive and
won't configure it to dual boot.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: C# is a copy of java
Date: 30 Jun 2000 13:44:55 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aravind Sadagopan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I happened to read the C# specs and boy how do these people manage to
>copy so well. Ill give you
>an example
>
>java - import java.lang.System;
>C#   - using System
>
>java - out.println("hello World");
>C#   - console.Writeln("hello World");
>
>Same no pointer ,garbage collection, virtual machine stuff is there. And
>they have a backward compatiblity to use C pointers called "unsafe"
>methods. I don't know what they meant when they siad C# is not meant to
>be a competition to Java

They probably meant that they don't want to be sued by Sun for
copying it.

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:55:12 GMT

Tim Kelley wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:27:12 GMT, Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Could anybody tell me where i can download it, apart from the Corel
> >FTP-server. It seems to be too busy. All i get is a 'login incorrect'
> >message.
>
> it's at ftplinux2.corel.com
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.iww.org

It still doesn't work. Damn. Are there any other places?
(B.t.w. i tried with Netscape, with ncftp and with bare ftp.

--
¨I live!¨
¨I hunger!¨

------------------------------

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:54:46 -0700

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Josiah Fizer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Just for fun, find a machine that came preloaded with Win95OSR2 on
> >> a large hard drive and turn it into a dual-boot 95/NT system.
> >> You'll get a better feeling for other people's experience with
> >> Windows installs...  (If you haven't tried this, NT won't work
> >> on the VFAT32 drive, so you have to reformat and re-install
> >> win95, and win95 won't boot from the CD, so you need a floppy
> >> with CD drivers just to get started, then you have to reboot
> >> each side about 20 times as you install service packs, IE
> >> updates, and all your applications).
> >>

> >Why you would want to install NT onto the same partition as 9x is beyond me. You
>could of course use Partition Magic to create a new
> >partition for NT while preserving your existing 9x data. Or you could just put NT
>onto another HD.
>
> Try it.  I put NT on a different HD, but the real problem is getting
> the dual boot configuration.  NT can't even see the FAT32 drive and
> won't configure it to dual boot.
>
>   Les Mikesell
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ah, I see the problem. You are trying to use NTs boot manager. In a word, dont. There
are far better offerings out there both free and
shareware. Also you can edit the boot.ini file to add an entery for any partition or
disk regardless of what OS it has on it.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:58:22 -0700

try tucows

--
Salvador Peralta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:05:13 GMT

On 30 Jun 2000 12:45:04 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>What's funny about this is that earlier in this thread, the MS bashers
>>>called me all sorts of names for claiming that politics and influence
>>>had anything to do with this trial, and claimed that federal judges
>>>were above this sort of petty politics.  Now they are claiming that
>>>this 'proves' that MS influenced the trial and apparently corrupted
>>>the judge.  Once again, this is typical of the MS bashers -- their
>>
>>      Actually, Oracle is only doing what the yellow journalists
>>      and muckrackers should already be doing in this instance.
>>      They must all be asleep at their posts...
>
>Yes, it is odd that the reporters didn't find this on their own.
>You'd think Microsoft owned the TV networks or something.

        That's assuming they're interested...

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:07:36 GMT

On 30 Jun 2000 11:13:58 -0700, Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

>> >Unix systems are supposed to be up for long times. Not like those window
>> >joke things.
>>
>>      Our solaris and irix boxes don't go down for any reason short
>>      of a power outtage.
>

>My Solaris workstation crashed on me for the first time ever a couple
>of weeks ago.  I was running some very questionable beta CAD software
>used for IC design.  I've lost Openwindows before, but this was a
>full-blown kernel panic.  Never seen one before.  It was ugly!
>
>That workstation hadn't been rebooted in over a year, and then it was
>only because of a hardware upgrade.  You have to try _really_ hard to
>break Solaris.

        ...mebbe. Certainly you have to try _really_ hard when compared
        to what effort it takes to bring down NT in a similar enviroment.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Shock Boy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:47:54 GMT

"Sascha Bohnenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I believe the thread was referencing Win2K. I have not myself ever installed NT or
>98 from fresh. I've only upgraded a
Win95OSR2.1
> > Win98 and then WIn98SE. I added a dual/triple boot of NT4.0 and Win2K to my Win98
>computer.. and upgraded several NT4.0 to
Win2K.
> > The only "fresh" installs I have done were Win2K, and they went without a hitch.
>My description of simply inserting the Cd,
sipping
> > some coffee was pretty much what I did.
>
> ok try a fresh install of NT4 on current hardware and THAN tell my that
> it is easier than puting
> suse (or something like this) on the same pc ...

Tell you what. Next time I have a problem with NT4 that requires an install.. I'll get
back to you on how difficult I found it to
be. Given that it has never occured.. and even if I did, I'ld do a restore of my
current set up.. I wouldn't hold my breath.

------------------------------

From: "Shock Boy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:48:00 GMT

"Leslie Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8jikso$fa0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> are you talking about windows-nt or 0.98 ?
> >
> >I believe the thread was referencing Win2K. I have not myself ever installed NT or
>98 from fresh. I've only upgraded a
Win95OSR2.1
> >Win98 and then WIn98SE. I added a dual/triple boot of NT4.0 and Win2K to my Win98
>computer.. and upgraded several NT4.0 to Win2K.
> >The only "fresh" installs I have done were Win2K, and they went without a hitch. My
>description of simply inserting the Cd,
sipping
> >some coffee was pretty much what I did.
>
> Just for fun, find a machine that came preloaded with Win95OSR2 on
> a large hard drive and turn it into a dual-boot 95/NT system.
> You'll get a better feeling for other people's experience with
> Windows installs...  (If you haven't tried this, NT won't work
> on the VFAT32 drive, so you have to reformat and re-install
> win95, and win95 won't boot from the CD, so you need a floppy
> with CD drivers just to get started, then you have to reboot
> each side about 20 times as you install service packs, IE
> updates, and all your applications).

Um, if you bothered to read my post, you'ld have seen that I installed NT4.0 in a dual
boot system which came preloaded with
Win95OSR2.1, which was then upgraded toWin98.

And only a moron thinks that reformatting and reinstall of the OS is necessary to go
from Fat32 to Fat16. You can convert a Fat32
formatting to Fat16 without doing that. It was very straightforward, intuitive and
easy to accomplish. Especially since I had very
little experience on the PC side, having been almost exclusively Mac prior to getting
a PC.