Linux-Advocacy Digest #402, Volume #32           Thu, 22 Feb 01 11:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited (Tim Hanson)
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] ("Seán Ó
Donnchadha")
  Re: State of linux distros (Tim Hanson)
  Re: Another Pete Goodwin "Oopsie"! (Salvador Peralta)
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant (Stephen Cornell)
  Re: State of linux distros ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Spam by proxy ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Amusing Aaron Kulkis Anagrams ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Allchin backtracks, now likes open source (Paul Hughett)
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Hilter Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux ("Edward
Rosten")
  Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: How much does it take to make sound work in linux?? (Aaron Ginn)
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] ("Donal K.
Fellows")
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] ("Donal K.
Fellows")
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: State of linux distros ("Reefer")
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited (Craig Kelley)
  Re: MS seeks Gov't help to stop blacks from using computersRe: Microsoft (Donovan
Rebbechi)
  Re: The Windows guy. (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Amusing Aaron Kulkis Anagrams ("WMH")
  Re: Allchin backtracks, now likes open source (Craig Kelley)
  Re: State of linux distros ("Reefer")

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:10:38 GMT

Craig Kelley wrote:

> "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Craig Kelley wrote:
> > > If we really want to save lives here, why not ban alcohol so that the
> > > DUI rate goes down?  DUIs kill more people every day than hand guns do
> > > all year.
> >
> > Prohibition is unlikely to work as well as flaming high taxes; while
> > people may grumble about taxes, banning drink would be far more unpopular
> > and all the politicians know it.  We're more likely to see a legalization
> > of cannabis than a banning of booze...
>
> That's my point.  Do we want Nancy Reagan on TV telling everyone,
> "Don't buy handguns"?  Because the law will not change the fact that
> criminals have them; ie, the same people who abuse them even now.

Concerning these endless off-topic pissing contests having nothing to do
with computers, I think we should just say "No."

--
Pick another fortune cookie.

------------------------------

From: "Seán Ó Donnchadha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:13:06 -0500

"Peter da Silva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> No, a fundamental flaw is worse than a bug because it's an inherent part
of
> the interface, rather than the implementation. For example, Win32 is
> fundamentally flawed because there is no version control mechanism for
shared
> libraries. ActiveX is fundamentally flawed because it provides no
mechanism
> to limit the access of buggy third-party applets to your computer. SSH1 is
> fundamentally flawed because of a design problem with the protocol. This
can't
> be changed without changing the protocol, hence SSH2.

Actually Peter, your facts on Win32 are fundamentally flawed because it most
certainly *DOES* provide version control for shared libraries
(VS_VERSION_INFO resources along with version-aware file installation APIs).
That some badly coded installers don't use it is irrelevant.

And your understanding of ActiveX is fundamentally flawed because ActiveX is
a code packaging and delivery mechanism (a-la Navigator plugins) whose job
does not and should not include security. The real problem is Win9x's lack
of protection. When you run IE on WinNT/2K with sufficiently low user
privileges, you're totally protected against attacks via ActiveX.

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:14:43 GMT

dev null wrote:

> Culled somewhere off of www.devx.com this a.m.
>
> In spite of the fact that Mandrake boasts that it is the hottest Linux
> distributor in retail sales, its retail product is a loss leader. SuSE has
> laid off two-thirds of its U.S. employees. TurboLinux is cutting back on its
> workforce and may soon wed Linuxcare to refocus its efforts onto services.
> Stormix, a commercial distributor that based its offering on Debian, has
> recently filed for bankruptcy. Corel is getting nowhere with its Linux
> distribution. In other words, most Linux distributions, even the ones whose
> market share is growing each year, are concluding that they can't make money
> selling Linux.....

> Wow, get that! Companies sprouting up like weeds, trying to turn a profit on
> a free product by adding value only.  --dubious value at that. And there is
> only SO much value one can add to a linux distro or the penquinistas start
> braying like donkeys in heat. See Corel for what can happen when they think
> you have 'window-fied' linux!
>
> I'm STILL wondering how they ever thought that they COULD be viable.
> dot com madness, something like mad-cow disease I think.

"dev null" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
^^^^^^^^^^ You got that part right.

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Pete Goodwin "Oopsie"!
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 07:17:51 -0800

Pete Goodwin quoth:

> In article <96rjdv$rju$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > I have.  Yet another example of Pete Goodwin pretending that his
> > system is broken when the problem is nothing more than ( intentional
> > )
> > operator error.  It's not the fault of the OS or the application
> > that you refuse to select your printer from the dialogue menu and
> > then save that selection.
>
> You haven't been paying attention. As I said before, I configured my
> system on installation to use a specific printer driver.

Under CUPS, the GIMP will initially display from a list of printer
drivers.  You need to configure printing once in the GIMP and you are
done.  The steps to achieve that are:

<right click> -> print -> setup -> select printer -> print and save
settings.

If you cannot accomplish that Herculean task, perhaps you should switch
to lpr or avoid using computers entirely.

> So, how am I pretending my system is broken - The Gimp made the wrong
> assumption!

You never bothered to configure printing in the gimp.  If you had done
so, or if you had done so correctly, the rest of us would not have been
subjected to ( still more of ) your disingenuous whining.

--

Salvador Peralta                   -o)
Programmer/Analyst, Webmaster      / \

------------------------------

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: 22 Feb 2001 15:15:09 +0000

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Besides, none of these links show anything about "$1billion investment"
> all I see is IBM making a desperate attempt to stay in business and
> announcing Linux on all these servers. Nothing about 1 billion.

It took me 10 seconds to find:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2663673,00.html

  "NEW YORK -- IBM Corp. is planning to invest $1 billion in Linux in
  2001 and another $4 billion in "e-sourcing" over the next three
  years, IBM chairman and CEO Louis Gerstner said Tuesday morning."

I guess you didn't bother following the links provided to you.

--
Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:16:10 +0000

> Linsux is dead.

Yep. I'll just trash my HDDs and install Windows 2000 on my P133.
Oh, yeah and shell out for it as well :-)

-ed

> "dev null" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:9737j1$b6h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Culled somewhere off of www.devx.com this a.m.
>>
>> In spite of the fact that Mandrake boasts that it is the hottest Linux
>> distributor in retail sales, its retail product is a loss leader. SuSE
>> has laid off two-thirds of its U.S. employees. TurboLinux is cutting
>> back on
> its
>> workforce and may soon wed Linuxcare to refocus its efforts onto
>> services. Stormix, a commercial distributor that based its offering on
>> Debian, has recently filed for bankruptcy. Corel is getting nowhere
>> with its Linux distribution. In other words, most Linux distributions,
>> even the ones
> whose
>> market share is growing each year, are concluding that they can't make
> money
>> selling Linux.....

>> Wow, get that! Companies sprouting up like weeds, trying to turn a
>> profit
> on
>> a free product by adding value only.  --dubious value at that. And
>> there
> is
>> only SO much value one can add to a linux distro or the penquinistas
>> start braying like donkeys in heat. See Corel for what can happen when
>> they
> think
>> you have 'window-fied' linux!
>>
>> I'm STILL wondering how they ever thought that they COULD be viable.
>> dot com madness, something like mad-cow disease I think.

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Spam by proxy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:16:57 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chris Ahlstrom"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wow, with Chad and all the responses to his inanities, there are way too
> many posts here every time I check in. Wheew!
>
> Ye gawds!
>
> Chris (dazed and amazed, his brain is razed)

Don't you find it odd how chad never responds to the people who soundle
refute his claims. Oh, yeah, and he killfiles them too.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Amusing Aaron Kulkis Anagrams
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:17:33 +0000

In article <9737j7$gkm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "dev null"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Garbage wrapped in skin?

I think your getting yourself confused with someone else.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Paul Hughett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Allchin backtracks, now likes open source
Date: 22 Feb 2001 15:19:24 GMT

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: A real person, we're told, goes through predictable phases when dealing
: with difficult facts.  IIRC, the first was denial, and the second is
: anger.

: I think we're entering the anger phase.  Does anyone know what comes
: next?

Bargaining, followed by acceptance.  But open source doesn't offer a
single individual to bargain with, any more than it offered one to
threaten.  Should be interesting.

Paul Hughett

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:19:14 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Nick Condon"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward Rosten) wrote in <972j0q$jm6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>> No...that was the TAX COLLECTOR.
>>>
>>> Robin Hood merely returned to the people what was wrongfully stolen
>>> from them by Little John's tax collectors.
>>
>>Robin Hood was a common thief turned in to a legend.
>>
>>Little John was one of the Merry Men according to that legend. Are you
>>refering to she Sherrif of Nittingham?
>
> I think he's referring to Prince John, a little snake in the Disney
> version.

A fine source of historcal facts.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,demon.local
Subject: Re: Hilter Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:20:22 +0000

>>                      ***FUCK*** Godwin.
>>

>> Satisfied?
>
> Yes. I'm satisfied in my belief that at one time you lost your temper
> and called someone a Nazi. Whoever you were talking with got fed up with
>  that sort of stupidity and refused to speak with you any further. Now
> you're all hurt and get all riled up when someone mentions Godwin.

Goodwin's law seems to be accurate. Most of the big threads here end up on
the nazis.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:23:13 +0000

In article <uU8l6.56399$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Ketil Z Malde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > Wishful thinking. Windows XP is HARDLY a featureless upgrade.
>>
>> Yeah, it's a much better telnet than ssh is.
>
> In another thread, I admitted that ssh isn't just a wrapped of telnet.
> So get over it, asshole.

Your the arsehole.

> Anyhow, comparing the new features in Windows XP to ssh is stupid. SSH
> provides secure telnet and port forwarding and a couple other features.

> Windows XP is a whole OS which provides hundreds of new features.
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^
you mis spelled `no'.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:26:17 +0000

In article <9730ch$bes$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :> I wonder if we could have used that tactic at Desert Storm.....
> :>
> :> [.sigsnip]
>
> : Well, Actually, the  Iraqi soldiers started surrendering to camera
> crews
> : precisely because the A-10's and B-52's WEREN'T shouting "BANG!" out
> the
> : window.
>
> : From an interrogation of an Iraqi POW:
>
> : Interrogator:
> :     "Why did you and your friends surrender?"
> : POW:
> :     Because of the air strikes.
> : Interrogator:
> :     "There were no air strikes on your unit"
> : POW:
> :     Yes, but we SAW the air strikes against the Republican Guards
> :     units behind us.
>

> Has there ever been a war other than Vietnam in which air superiority
> was not decisive?

Parts of WWII. The Nazis had complete air superiority over the Soviets
because they knocked out the Soviet air fields. However, the soviets had
huge resources (and a nasty winter) to throw at the Nazis, so they
eventually won. In fact if it wasn't for the commies we'd probably all be
speaking german by now.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:26:50 +0000

Nick Condon wrote:
> I think he's referring to Prince John, a little snake in the Disney
> version.

No.

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- I have to warn you up front that I'm pretty sure you're full of crap, but

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How much does it take to make sound work in linux??
Date: 22 Feb 2001 08:22:53 -0700

#KUNDAN KUMAR# <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Dear friends,
>  I have become frustrated and you are my last hope.Even though i am a
> newbie, i managed to install debian and upgrade my kernel to 2.4.1. But
> after lots of tweaking, I am unable to get the sound working with good
> quality. I had LM 7.2 installed on my computer earlier and the card was
> working fine.
>  What I could get from the KDE control center was something like this:
>  Yamaha DSXG PCI(YMF724F) o:YMFPCI at oxd5020000, irq 10 (DUPLEX)
>  alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-ymfpci
>  post-install snd-card-ymfpci modprobe snd-pcm-oss
>
> I know the card should work, but am unable to make it. I compiled kernel
> 2.2.18 with ALSA. the sounds worked, but were in mono mode. Quite
> unacceptable.
>
> As when compiling 2.4.1, I first took snd card support as module. I
> could not modprobe "soundcore" which seem to be required as a must. I
> again compiled 2.4.1 with everything inside the kernel( no module):
> ymfpci, yamaha pci legacy support, OSS support. Now after reboot, there
> is not a single sound related module in the kernel. modprobe ymfpci,
> sound etc don't work. When i was changing the kernel using dpkg -i
> kernel-image... there was a warning regarding rebooting immediately for
> making modules.dep compatible.
> I did reboot immediately.
>
> What went wrong? When linux is so stable, why any tweaking with system
> makes it such a mess?
>
> With regards,
> kundan

Kundan,

You may or may not want to go this route...

You can get a driver for the Yamaha DX-SG from
http://www.opensound.com.  When I got mine a couple of years ago, I
had to pay for it.  They may be free now.  You need to rebuild your
kernel _without_ sound and make sure there are no sound modules
loaded.  You can then load the configure the driver and add it to your
/etc/rc.d/rc.local (or whatever the appropriate file is in Debian) to
load at boot.

HTH,
Aaron

--
Aaron J. Ginn                    Phone: 480-814-4463
Motorola SemiCustom Solutions    Pager: 877-586-2318

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:35:01 +0000

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> He is unconcerned with such things, Donal.  His point is to get a rise
> out of you, and he does that simply by claiming you're "avoiding the
> facts", no matter what else he or you says.  Get a grip; you're feeding
> the trolls, is all.

True, but I enjoyed myself in the process.  I shall have to use "May your
dog not have to suffer another night of your unwanted attentions." again
sometime...  :^)

Donal.

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:43:21 +0000

Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> So he has to contend himself in spreading FUD, because
> otherwise he had to admit that even his beloved W2K is just equipped
> with a (very broken to boot) telnet.

I wish I didn't have to tell you this, but there are much worse telnets
out there than the one in 'Doze.  Not that this implies that that one is
worthy of the magnetic media it occupies though.  The bottom of the
barrel is just much further down than most sane people realize...

Donal.

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:32:24 +0000

Doc O'Leary wrote:
> Nick Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> How do you feel about "Nature abhors a vacuum"?
>
> I'd say she must be pretty pissed about 99.99999999999999999% of the
> Universe.

Is that including Aaron Kulkis's mind?

Donal.

From: "Reefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:51:21 GMT

> Yep. I'll just trash my HDDs and install Windows 2000 on my P133.
> Oh, yeah and shell out for it as well :-)

Win2kpro works perfectly with a P133, just make sure u have 'nuff memory
...lets say 128 MB RAM .

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 22 Feb 2001 08:48:34 -0700

"Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Craig Kelley wrote:
> > That's my point.  Do we want Nancy Reagan on TV
>
> No!  Anything but that!
>
> > telling everyone, "Don't buy handguns"?
>
> Shucks!  If you'd stopped with the first half of that sentence, it would
> have been so much less contentious...  :^)
>
> > Because the law will not change the fact that
> > criminals have them; ie, the same people who abuse them even now.
>
> IIRC from the debate when handguns were banned in the UK, whether or not
> the criminal element have them was not considered to be a major factor,
> but rather on the nutcases with a grudge against their workplace, school,
> neighbourhood or just humanity in general.  Criminals break the law, so
> what's another law to them?  Madmen are a different matter.

So then it comes down to

  Saving lives by removing certain classes of weapons from madmen (mad
  people are not avert to lugging rifles around in blue-suede golf bags).

                          vs.

  Saving lives by having a deterrent against the criminal element.

I don't think you can prove either conjecture conclusivly yet, much
less which one saves more lives.  Any reasonable person would be able
to understand why guns should and should not be outlawed; being blind
to one side of the issue is silly.  Let the UK try it out first and
see how well it works (although there is not a huge history of
handguns in the UK anyway, so it may not even be a valid indicator as
to how the US would respond to similar restrictions).

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: MS seeks Gov't help to stop blacks from using computersRe: Microsoft
Date: 22 Feb 2001 15:51:19 GMT

On 22 Feb 2001 12:28:16 GMT, Joseph T. Adams wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>PC usage certainly is, but I was always under the impression that
>Linux usage as a percentage of PC users was much higher in developing
>nations.

I would love to see that supported by hard data ... Possibly true in Mexico.
Probably not true in say India, China or anywhere in SE Asia.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: 22 Feb 2001 15:56:37 GMT

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:23:32 +0000, Edward Rosten wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Donovan Rebbechi"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If you read my message you'll see that working on the origional
>definition of pipes stated earlier in the thread (they take output of one
>process and put it in to the input of another process)

This definition is not only wrong, it does not *require* asunchronous
processing (though that would certainly make them work more efficiently)

For example, you *could* do

cat very_big_file | head -3

without multitasking, though it would not be terribly efficient.

> I have proven that
>pipes require multitasking,

Your example does not show that anything requires multitasking, it only
shows that multitasking makes something more efficient.

Moreover, your example does not say anything about pipes, because you
are working with a completely ficticious definition of what a "pipe" is.

> so I don't need to cite someone elses
>definition of pipes to show that they require multitasking.

Unless you actually know what a pipe is, you're not in much of a
position to say anything about them.

From: "WMH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:59:35 -0500

More evidence of that contraction problem mentioned in an earlier thread.
It really is a pervasive problem.

news:973aj4$7vl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Feb 2001 09:01:20 -0700

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Said Tim Hanson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:04:38
> >Charlie Ebert wrote:
>    [...]
> >> Linux has not taken over their market, it has fully encompassed
> >> Microsofts Market.  And there's nothing they can do about it.
> >
> >Really, this episode reminds me of the contortions of SCO last year, but
> >on a MUCH larger scale.
>
> I missed the contortions.  Please advise.

SCO's anti-linux rant?

   http://lwn.net/1999/0909/info-bulletin.pdf

It's even more hilarious now that SCO was bought by Caldera:

   http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2414499.html

Upon re-reading SCO's comments, they look a *lot* like the current
comments Microsoft is offering (Alchin's remarks last week, the 'linux
myth' pages on microsoft.com and Ballmer's statements at COMDEX
2000).  Not that Caldera is going to buy Microsoft any time *soon*,
but maybe a few years down the road...

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Reefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:06:43 GMT

> Yep. I'll just trash my HDDs and install Windows 2000 on my P133.
> Oh, yeah and shell out for it as well :-)

OR u could try to uppgrade your hardware a little bit perhaps ...this IS the
year 2001 u know, 'puters are fairly cheap ;-)