  What's the scoop on the new KDE gui? (piddy)

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: You Should Not Treat Linux Like M$ Windows
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:13:17 -0400

Pedro Iglesias wrote:

> > Because MicroShit provides no tools to do so.
>
>    Because most people do not want or need to work on their
> computers, just want to use them as useful tools as the could
> do with a TV, video, and the so. If GNU/Linux had the same
> market share than Microsoft does, a comparable people number
> would never fix bugs themselves.

The point is, when they DO need to have work done on their
computer, THEN the tools need to be installed.  It is FAR
superior to have the tools already available, as part of
the OS distribution.

McAfee and Symantec are making a bundles off of the fact that
LoseShit OS's
a) are deficient in administrative tools
  *AND*
b) need more things administrated than most other OS's.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:18:45 -0400

Shock Boy wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Shock Boy wrote:
> > >
> > > "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Every linux install I have withnessed had the difficulty in configuration..
> >
> > Mebbe it's because you're stupid?
>
> No, because hardware support is inferior in linux.

Strange.  My SCSI discs work FAR more efficiently on Linux.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Uptime 6 months and counting.
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:57:52 -0700

The is a follow and expansion up to my initial posting to this thread.

A one year uptime would be a better time to celebrate, but since I may be
taking some or all of them down soon; because I am considering a storage
hardware upgrade for one of the hosts and the excess drives that would be
removed from one unit would in turn be added another host.  For best
allocation of resources It may start a cascade of hardware modifications.
Since my systems buy not make it to a one-year uptime because of the
upgrades, before the uptime report goes back to zero.  I will also be
upgrading the kernels in those machine at the same time.

One of the servers is also still running a large number of aout executables
and libraries.  So I will be install one of the "spare" diskdrives into a
workstation to build a new root partition for that server.  Once the new
once the new root partition is installed and tested, that partition will be
transfered to the server.

Before the power failure at the beginning of the year, my primary file
server had been up for about four years.  The last uptime report I got from
before the powerfailure for that host reported an uptime of 1405 days, 12
hours, and 22 minutes.  OK so that was really 3 years 10 months 10 days 12
hours and 22 minutes--assuming a 30 day month.  I think that is close enough
to say "about four years".

This same computer that is the file server used to be a Novell NetWare file
server.  At that time it would always crash anywhere from once a week to
once a month.  With the ram installed on that computer NetWare could only
support two harddrives with a total capacity of 300Mb   Once I found
marsnwe, and installed it, installed samba and configured the unit as a NFS
server that old box has been rock solid stable with the very same hardware,
except for the fact that I have added additional harddrives over time,
including an old SCSI harddrive and a SCSI controller that is no longer
supported by any modern OS other than Linux--and maybe FreeBSD.

Hardware upgrades, kernel upgrade when needed, and power company fubars have
been the only reasons for that host to ever be down.  That is the normal
situation for unix hosts, and *should* be for any other OS as well.

My original posting has recieved two flames by email from a couple of
winvocates that prowl COLA.  Their emails were worded differently, but
delivered about the same message.  The have accused me of fabricating my
uptime report.  They knew it was a lie because the knew that Linux is not
stable enough to run this long.  I was chided for wasting network bandwidth
with my lies.  I replied to both of them with the have message, "Jealous?".

I have also been the got the pleseant experience of a minor email bombing by
another winvocate that prowls through COLA.  As I said it was a minor
attack, with only 17 copies of the same message.  What an anemic attack, I
guess his copy of Windows (according to the header lines) must have crashed
before he finished his attack. ;-)

What I find interesting, is that the winvocates are so public in their
replies to just about everything else, but the initial posting of this
thread drew only private reactions from them.  I wonder if they were just
trying to beFUDdle me into silence.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:56:13 -0700

Pedro Iglesias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Go_65.38$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I can't understand this uptimes. First of all, don't you
> update your kernel ? (not modules, the kernel itself).

Sure I do, when I REALLY need to.

If I have a need for some feature of a new kernel; support for new hardware
added to the server; correcting a security problem; correcting a bug,
removing a limitation that has been causing problems, of if the old kernel
won't support somthing that is need on a piece of software that you need to
install are about the only reasons to upgrade a kernel on such a host.

On a limited workstation, the situation is about the same as with a server.

On a general use workstation, that situation can be different.  On such a
unit, I run multiple kernels, a stable kernel, a current kernel, and a
testing kernel.  The experimental kernel is the newest one, until it has
proven itself to be reliable enough to be made the current kernel, it will
only be used for testing and experimentation.  The current kernel is used
more often and when its feature are needed and the stable kernel does not
fit the bill.  When I need to be sure that things will work without question
I use the stable kernel.  As I find that the current kernel is being used
more often than the stable kernel or the stable kernel is unable to support
hardware or software that I need to use AND the current kernel has caused no
problems, then the current kernel will become the new stable kernel.  And
the old stable kernel may be kept around for a while longer, just in case.

The only kernel version I would ever install into a server is one that has
already earn the right to be classified as stable by me.

Now then modules are another story.

If you have multiple hosts with the same class processor but with a
different varity of needed drivers; or you need to use something that is
supported by modules only; you are building kernels without knowing the the
target hadware; or you are doing experimental/developmental work, then
modules are just fine.  For stability, security, and performance, I find
that in the general case it to be better to build the kernels as monolithic
as possible which are customized for the target host.  So, modules are not a
major factor for me on server hosts.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon)
Subject: Re: Lost Cause Theater!!!
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:17:26 GMT

On 29 Jun 2000 19:32:40 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Tim Palmer' said:

[...]

>Whare's your Commy IWW sig, CommyLie-nux Commy? The troth is that you are a hippy,
>commy dork working to overthrou capitleism with your crappy CommyLie-nux.
>
>You'l do anytthing to make everyone put up with yoor crappy 1960's Commy Line
>Interface tiping commands all day.
>
>DOS is ded, and UNIX should go with it.

Gee, when I grow up, I want to be just like Tim Palmer!

>From Win9x MsDos command prompt:

c:
cd \
attrib -h -r -s msdos.sys
edit msdos.sys : change string "BootGUI=1" to "BootGUI=0" : save & exit
re-boot

MSDOS is not DEAD.

--
Black Dragon

"Windows for Dummies", Hell No!
"Windows for Pathetic, Clueless, Illiterate Drooling Morons", Maybe.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
Date: 1 Jul 2000 00:10:11 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:

:> Some Windows apps use ctrl-ins / shift-ins.

: True, where CTRL-C and CTRL-V are usually inappropriate, like terminals.

Eh??? Control-characters are infinitely more appropriate for a terminal
interface than the special ins/del keys, because ctrl-c and ctrl-v are
ASCII characters, so they have identical codes on all terminals.  ins/del
might not even *exist* in some terminal's codes, and even when they do,
they'll be different for different terminals.  (Not a problem if you have
a Unix-like termcap or terminfo config, but Windows is not such an animal.)

--
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------
 Steven L. Mading  at  BioMagResBank   (BMRB). UW-Madison

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 1 Jul 2000 00:13:24 GMT

Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote in
: : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

: :>XV is more or less obsolete as a GUI app. I haven't tried XMovie.

: : It gets installed as part of Mandrake 7.1

: Unfortunately, xv isn't quite obsolete yet.  It uses its own custom
: widget set and is actually a shareware app (sortof), but is free
: for noncommerical use.  The problem is, Imlib doesn't scale and so
: every viewer built on it (like ee) explodes on semi large images.
: "display" is a good, non Imlib viewer, but it lacks xv's schnauzer
: which makes it tricky to browse with.  axv looked very promising,
: but the author hasn't cleaned up any rough edges for the past two
: months, which is less promising.

: Despite its quirks (including lack of proper cut & paste, which
: I hadn't noticed until now), xv remains one of the more solid
: image viewers.

Agreed.  The one that comes with the ImageMagick tool set is close,
but I've never seen anything that is as good as xv's Visual Schnauser
for looking at a directory of images - on either Unix or Windows.
This is a shame since some other aspects of xv are getting out of
date these days.

--
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 1 Jul 2000 00:19:43 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote in <8jijo1$gq8$1
: @nnrp1.deja.com>:

:>But select-with-left, paste-with-middle is true. And it does work in
:>terminals. (Am I right that Ctrl-C does not work on a dos window?)
:>
:>So, at least for text selection/pasting (notice how I leave you a way
:>out), X is more consistent than windows. Amazing!
:>
:>Any comments?
:>
:>PS: Ctrl-c/x/v works in all Gnome and KDE programs.

: Granted drag and drop to a DOS prompt does zip. However... select with left
: relies on the text still being selected. If it gets deselected, its gone.
: CTRL-C on Windows goes into a buffer. That buffer can be pasted into a DOS
: prompt, just not dropped.

There are advantages to both techniques, and neither system does both.
This issue is a bit of a wash.  The advantage of the Windows way is
that it allows the clipboard selection to live long after the selection
is made.  The disadvantage of the Windows way is that even when you don't
need to have the clipboard selection live that long, you still have to go
through the annoying (to me, anyway) extra steps of telling one app you
want to copy the selection, and telling the other app you want to paste it.
Regardless of which way this is done, keypress or menubar, it is more
tedious that the quick X-windows way.

: What is missing in KDE is a menu with Copy/Paste on, and keyboard versions
: of the same thing. I can't use CTRL-C/V in an edit field in KDE, though I
: can use paste-with-middle. A little inconsistant I think.

: Pete

--
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ready for Linux ? The "Furniture Scale"
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:21:29 -0400

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" wrote:

> > > Hey, I do *all* of that! :-)
> >
> > What's so hard about driving a stick-shift in rush-hour traffic? I do
> > that every single day.
>
> Good, so you understand the benefits of a system that is slightly
> more complicated (5 speed transmission, clutch, brake, managing the
> rpm...) in exchange for more control (lower cost, better acceleration
> with smaller engines, more power and speed with larger engines,
> matching the gears to the requirements (shifting...) and have
> demonstrated a willingness to learn something which reqires more
> effort to learn (compared to an Automatic Transmission).
>
> You are the kind of person who could install Linux yourself,
> would take the time to learn the features of LINUX (as opposed
> to assuming that it should be exactly like every trade-secret,
> copyrighted, and trademarked Microsoft features and applications
> and grousing because the Icons don't look like the IE icons.
>
> The "Never buy anything but delivered furnature from Ethan Allen"
> crowd might enjoy Linux (when it reaches "Status Symbol Status")
> but will probably stick with their Imacs and Windows machines
> no matter how tempermental they are.  Better to drive a tempermental
> Porche than a reliable but boring Toyota.

Uh, rex, *n*x *IS* the Porsche.
:-)

> > --
> > ¨I live!¨
> > ¨I hunger!¨
> > ¨Run, coward!¨
> >                -- The Sinistar
> >

> --
> Rex Ballard - Open Source Advocate, Internet
> I/T Architect, MIS Director
> http://www.open4success.com
> Linux - 90 million satisfied users worldwide
> and growing at over 5%/month!
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:23:45 -0400

John Culleton wrote:

> Around here we brake for thunderstorms ;-) and hardware upgrades
> happen now and then. But basically we let the system hum along
> 24x7.
>
> Now here's a question for all the MSWindows lurkers (yes, I know
> you are there.) Is there an equivalent MSWindows command to
> "uptime" (displays days, hours mins since last boot)?

The results are tooo embarrasing.

> John Culleton

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:25:49 -0400

Pedro Iglesias wrote:

> I can't understand this uptimes. First of all, don't you
> update your kernel ? (not modules, the kernel itself).

What's the point?  If it's running fine, you leave it alone.

Most places I've worked at, the Unix machines are typically
running with kernals that are 2 - 3 years old, and even the
very latest software all works correctly.

Why?  Because, unlike Makeyoupoor, the Unix API is not built
upon a constantly shifting sandbar of code.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:22:35 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C# is a copy of java

Marc Schlensog wrote:
> =

> Uhm, I=B4m totally clueless:
> What is C#????
> =

> Marc

Microsofts new vapor programming language, modeled after Java, but not
Java according to m$.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:28:26 -0400

Tim Kelley wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:37:22 GMT, Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Doc Shipley wrote:
> >

> >Longest one I've ever seen up so far was 3.2 years and still going.
> >

> I had a server with 167 days up, running squid and serving as a
> firewall, until my coworker, who is a windiot, rebooted it while I was
> on vacation.  This is what always seems to happen to me.
>
> It's hilarious, though, the way these MCSE's have this utterly
> pavlovian response to reboot whenever there is any sort of problem.

There was one like that when I worked at the GM Tech Center.

The group I was in was SOOOOOO relieved to have someone who could
solve problems without rebooting the thing.

> "Must reboot ... must reboot ... must solve problem ...."
>
> Zombie fuckin' idiots.

They're just doing what they've learned is the ONLY way of
solving a problem on MickeySoft operating systems.

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.iww.org

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:31:19 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (2:1) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >> I am aware of the distinction that Linux and KDE are two seperate
> >> objects. However, it does not seem unreasonable to me to lump the two
> >> together as KDE is an example of a Windowing system on Linux.
> >
> >X is the windowing system. KDE is a desktop.
>
> Linux I see as a complete system. I lump all of X, KDE and Gnome together.

We are not responsible for YOUR misunderstanding.

Hint: X, KDE and GNOME are NOT *required* for anything.

> In Windows case there is DOS and Windows, but DOS is pretty much ignorable
> (I know it's there) and Windows can be treated as one package. So,
> naturally, I lump Linux together as Linux, X and KDE. I'm looking at it as
> an alternative to Windows.
>
> Pete

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:32:38 -0400

Gary Hallock wrote:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Hallock) wrote in
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> > >Actually you said  "I tried drag and  drop between KDE's Window Manager
> > >and KDE's Explorer".   Perhaps you could enlighten me.  What is  KDE
> > >explorer?   I assumed you meant the KDE equivalent of Windows explorer.
> > >But that would be kfm.    And what do you mean by Window manager?
> > >What exactly  are you trying to do?
> >
> > Oops! Sorry, I mean KDE's File Manager (kfm) and KDE's Explorer.
> >
> > Pete
>
> But what do you consider to be KDE's Explorer?   In my mind that would be
> kfm (KDE's File Manager) in which case you would be dragging and dropping
> entirely within kfm.

Forget it, Petey BadLose has been caught in yet another windows lie.

> Gary

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (piddy)
Subject: What's the scoop on the new KDE gui?
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:30:56 GMT

It better come soon. It better be good or Linux will be
confined to geeks forever. Where is up to date info on
it and gnome?

Hope this helps

piddy