From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 22:20:51 GMT

If you know that KDE is NOT Linux and you claim that Linux has problems
because of problems with KDE (KNOWING THAT KDE IS NOT LINUX) then you
are a troll if not a moron.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! !
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 22:24:14 GMT

I don't belive you. Can't wait for school to start to clear out the news
groups. Poor little soul can't handle the term BS. My hear bleads!

In article <395e5c04$0$8318$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "leg log" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Don't respond with profanity.
> I'm a real person who has owned and used computers since 1986!!
Imagine if I
> made the same statements about a school teacher or automobile safety.
> Everyone would be shouting for immediate improvement. The status quo
would
> not be available for download or purchase. They would not be able to
just
> say try this or that. They would have to make our computers work
easier and
> better. That is what I was hoping for when I looked into Linux. I
truly
> would have to say that in the estimation of this reasonable adult.
Windows98
> does the "job" much better than Linux. Linux is beside the point.
> I will still keep Linux because I enjoy tinkering with computers.
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8jlhlm$gap$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > What a bunch of BS! Man I can't wait for school to start again!
> >

> > In article <395e394d$0$8306$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "leg log" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > It was my post. I started my professional practice about ten years
> > ago. I've
> > > had some success. I'm a wealthy man. Ten years later, about twenty
> > computers
> > > later, I've had it!! I drive my cars, I talk on my telephones, I
watch
> > my 10
> > > or twelve TVs, record each TVs with a VCR( each of them), I use my
6
> > or 7
> > > computers. I have Maytags topline washer and dryer. Sleek, jet
black
> > frig.
> > > and freezer from Sears(Sears man comes installs, etc. just works
..)
> > All of
> > > this works different than Linux!! Everything else works for me.
Linux
> > makes
> > > me work. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > "Jimmy Navarro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > only
> > > for

> > dule-booting.
> > being
> > > stuck
How
> > > simply
> > icon
> > > on
> > > install?
> > support?
> > > Its
Java?
> > Can't
> > > print
> > user?
> > weak.
> > > Its
> > care
> > StarOffice! Ten
> > color
> > than
But,

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm not ready.
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 18:34:02 -0400

Laura Goodwin wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
> > You have to be pretty well informed to step through the minefield
> > and get up-to-date equipment which isn't LoseWare.
>
> That's true.  I find the sheer number of choices in motherboards alone
> overwhelming.  They almost always benchmark components and systems with
> Windows.  It's hard to know what's best for Linux or for dual (or
> triple) boot systems.  By the time I catch up on new developments
> there's a new generation of hardware to learn about.  Technology is
> advancing so fast it's scary, because people don't change that fast.
> People don't even need half the power available to them.  Who needs a 1
> G mhz Athlon system for email and games?

I buy cheap, nothing-on-board except disk controllers boards,
and then research each card one at a time (this also saves $$$ in
the long run, as a motherboard upgrade allows me to keep the same
devices I had, etc.)

Also, such motherboards tend to have the maximum number of card slots,
making for maximum flexibility.

Currently using a K6 2/500 on a DFI K6VB3+ motherboard (www.dfi.com).
+ Genuine Soundblaster card (
+ Riva TNT2 (16MB) video
+ cheap 10/100 ethernet card ( $20?)
+ Adaptec 29160 SCSI-3 (LVD) card (ooooooooh, it's NICE :-)

> "We have guided missiles and unguided men."
> (Martin Luther King Jr.)
>
> --
> "Sureshot" Laura
> http://pcwranglers.com/

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm not ready. (Re: The "Furniture Scale")
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 18:35:29 -0400

OSguy wrote:

> John Culleton wrote:
>
> > Well, first you make two additional partitions, one for Linux and
> > one for Linux swap. Do this in Windoze.
>
> If you use Suse, Debian, Redhat, or Mandrake, you only need to make one
> partition for linux, then the distro's tools well make your Linux native
> and swap partitions for you (which you can specify exactly how you want)
> within that partition.  I'd highly recommend letting the Linux partition
> tools set up your Linux partitions during the install phase.
>
> My attempts at using MSDOS fdisk for the Linux partitions (other than
> setting aside that one partition prior to installing Linux) have been
> disastrous.  I can't say I've found MSDOS fdisk useful for much of
> anything outside of FAT partitions ... MSDOS fdisk will refuse to remove
> partitions that it can't identify.

Considering the intelligence of the typical MSDOS user, this is
probably a good thing...

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Videos
Date: 1 Jul 2000 22:09:53 GMT

Alex Reckie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Are there any Videos on Linux out there at all? I think I've heard of
>one by Yggdrasil, I was wondering what your opinions are.

If you mean a videotape about setting up and running Linux, I saw one at
CompUSA earlier today.  I forget the name, alas, and I have no idea of how
useful it is.

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 1 Jul 2000 17:50:12 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ray Chason  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jens =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pr=FCfer?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>When I call up your "dump the pump" website nothing special happens. I
>>get invited to boycott petrol stations on August 1st, which I am not
>>going to do.
>
>Your headers show:

>If this is what you used to load dumpthepump then that's why it worked.
>This is specifically a bug in kfm -- not Linux, not XFree86, not KDE, but
>kfm.

If you understand that, why did you mention the stability
of Linux in describing the bug?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [JOB] Debian installer needed near Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Date: 1 Jul 2000 22:49:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>You use of the term "peecee" for the common computer term "PC" (Personal
>Computer) this may be the result of lack of experince in the computer field,
>OR you are attempting to present yourself as different persona then your
>true identity.

Note that the term "peecee" is often used as a term of mild derision by
old-timers; see alt.sysadmin.recovery, for example.

(Otherwise, agreed.)

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Choose mnemonic identifiers. If you can't remember what

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: I thought only Windows 98 SE did this!
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 23:01:23 GMT

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 11:10:18 GMT, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Now this is the second time Linux has fallen apart on shutdown.

>Is the bug in Windows 98 SE a mutating virus? Did it leap OS's!

Is this the machine with disk "freezes"?  Mebbe you've got hardware
troubles.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 1 Jul 2000 18:09:05 -0500

In article <395e241e$0$8310$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
leg log <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I Installed Mandrake Linux 7.1 two days ago. Thank God for dule-booting. I
>like tinkering around sort of like a hobby, but can not imagine being stuck
>with linux as my only OS.
>Too many things to do just to use the computer productively. How to simply
>install software? Where did the software go? What icon? How to put icon on
>KDE desktop? How to put icon on K menu? Not enough disk space to install?
>I've got 18 Gigs!

Where is the space and where are you installing something?  I have
always had trouble with MS-windows appes in this regard where
I tell it to install on drive F: but it fails because there
is not enough space on C:.

>Star Office will be installed without Java support? Its
>year 2000, I just installed this OS and it did not include Java?

Grab a copy from www.sun.com before installing StarOffice. There
is no reason for every app to try to install the kitchen sink
for you.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux code going down hill
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 23:01:59 GMT

        It seems Linux is really going down hill do the lack of
proper source control and testing.  I have been trying out the
latest release of Redhat, and the clear command core dumps on me,
the "xterm" terminal definition is wrong, man pages are
consistenly wrong, and various include files do not support the
standards.  Code that compiled on earlier releases, now bombs
trying to include stdio.h!  Is this code being worked on by a
bunch of kids that failed software engineering class?
        I'm convinced Solaris x86 is the way to go for a
generalized PC OS now.  The code is mature, tested, and doesn't
have every hack with a C book messing it up.  It's also free and
the source code is available.  Why bother with Linux anymore?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: So where ARE all of these supposed Linux users?
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 23:09:59 GMT

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 03:59:30 GMT, R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>AOL accounts for nearly 90% of the IP addresses sampled, because AOL
>assigns each user a DHCP address and passes that address directly to
>the Internet.  Most Linux-friendly POPs use IP masquerading.

I've seen you say this before, and I think it is time to ask why you
say it.  I used to work in the ISP business, and nobody uses IP
masqerading on dialups.  Too many gamers out there running weird
protocols that don't masquerade well.  Easier to hand out real IP's
from a pool.

Some ISP's do use proxy servers, transparent or otherwise, for the web
so they can cache, but that's not the same thing as IP masquerading.
This would support your argument but I'd be surprised if AOL didn't do
this too.

I'd ask you to support the rest of this post too, wherein you speculate
quite wildly, but I'm too lazy.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 18:15:56 -0500

On 1 Jul 2000 12:47:14 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
wrote:

>In article <QP675.278$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Shock Boy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Um, if you bothered to read my post, you'ld have seen that I installed NT4.0 in a
>dual boot system which came preloaded with
>>Win95OSR2.1, which was then upgraded toWin98.
>>
>>And only a moron thinks that reformatting and reinstall of the OS is necessary to go
>from Fat32 to Fat16. You can convert a Fat32
>>formatting to Fat16 without doing that. It was very straightforward, intuitive and
>easy to accomplish. Especially since I had very
>>little experience on the PC side, having been almost exclusively Mac prior to
>getting a PC.
>
>Do you do the conversion with win95 or NT?  It wasn't intuitive
>enough for me to find the program that does it.

Partition Magic can do it - from 32 to 16.  Built-in OS tools in 98
handle the move from 16 to 32, either at OS install time or at the
time of the user's choosing via the accessories menu.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 1 Jul 2000 18:15:55 -0500

In article <395e394d$0$8306$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
leg log <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It was my post. I started my professional practice about ten years ago. I've
>had some success. I'm a wealthy man. Ten years later, about twenty computers
>later, I've had it!! I drive my cars, I talk on my telephones, I watch my 10
>or twelve TVs, record each TVs with a VCR( each of them), I use my 6 or 7
>computers. I have Maytags topline washer and dryer. Sleek, jet black frig.
>and freezer from Sears(Sears man comes installs, etc. just works ..) All of
>this works different than Linux!! Everything else works for me. Linux makes
>me work. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you buy a computer with the software pre-installed, or
pay someone the amount you save using free software to set
it up for you?

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why linux sucks and why linux is best
Date: 1 Jul 2000 19:23:33 -0500

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:15:29 GMT, Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>farraway wrote:
>
>> Ordinary people, that doesn't use hours on learing operating
>> systems, use windows and they are happy with it. Office is
>> better than star office etc. I think windows98 and NT is better
>> for 1) ordinary use with office, photoshop, games etc. I think
>> Linux is better for companies that need more secure on their
>> servers. Theese comanies only hire some geeks to setup and
>> run their servers properly. I think many "Linux people" not
>> only uses Linux as a operating system but also as a religion.
>>

>Yes, exactly.  Linux IS a RELIGION.  It is not a corporation.
>Linux will not fall prey to corporate cancer like Microsoft is.

>Linux will be here for decades to come.  Microsoft will not.

>Scores of corporations and regular companies have come
>and gone over time.  Religion is still here.

It doesant matter that LIE-nux doesant work, just as long as everyboddy uses it.
"Thow shalt halve no other gods before LIE-nux!"

>> It doesn't matter for ordinary people that the security isn't on top
>> because without many windowsprogs many doesn't
>> need a PC. OK Linux is good, i have tried it several times,
>> but it's best for servers and it isn't good for personal useage.
>
>The Linux desktop is as function as the NT desktop with
>today's distributions.  I haven't used Windows in 3 years
>now, maybe 4.  It's been a while.  I have no need for Windows.
>

>> Why doesn't Linux support USB and plug and play?
>
>Linux DOES support USB and plug and play.

Out of the box? Or after how manny kernal patches and reompials?

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CommyLinux vs Microsoft (was: Re: Windows98)
Date: 1 Jul 2000 19:25:27 -0500

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:01:22 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

>> > Actually, the USSR's people never were the problem
>> >
>> > It's the so-called "leaders" who are holding them all hostage.
>>
>> Actually, that was kind of my point.  Spread enough FUD (as the US
>> government did) and people were convinced that all USSR people were evil
>> scum.  The people were no more evil than us, and they were probably fed
>> a bunch of crap about how evil US people were.
>
>Pretty much.  They were all kept in a state of paranoia about how those
>crazy Americans were just itching to invade Russia at any time.
>
>[Of course, I can understand the general tendancy for the Russians to
>be paranoid about invasion.  Seems like the country can't make it
>through a century without SOMEONE invading them (usually from the
>East (China/Mongolia) or the West (Germany, France (Napoleon in 1812)).
>
>They are still quite paranoid.  The first time I was there, I got
>questioned by the cops for taking a photograph inside a subway
>station in St. Petersburg.  [A local friend later explained that
>Russians living in big cities consider subway stations to be a
>place of refuge -- (he told me once "If anyone ever gives you
>problems ALWAYS go to a subway station" -- QUITE THE OPPOSITE of the
>way Americans think about subways (places where sometimes dangerous
>people tend to hide out).  Now that I think about it, the subways are
>about the only place I have been where the police presence is minimal,
>so apparently, the don't have too much problems with crime within the
>subway system.
>

>>                                                 Different perspectives,
>> some FUD tactics and you got some rather interesting things happening.
>
>The big problem is, the average Soviet citizen had no idea what the
>government was really doing.  And then, we gave them these incidents
>that were just fantastic propaganda fodder, like the BR-36 and U-2
>reconaisance overflights.  Add to that submarine activities (just got
>done reading the EXCELLANT book "Blind Man's Bluff" I recommend it
                  ^^^^^^^^^
>very highly).
>
>> Now, people hope that by bringing up the word Communist in connection
>> with Linux it will remind people of all the fear the US citizenry went
>> through during the cold war, and the missile crisis and all of that,
>> rather than try to actually look at Linux as a technical work.  Perfect
>> FUD tactics, cloud the real issue with fears (which were themselves
>> based on clouded issues of thier day) and uncertainties about something
>> completely unrelated.
>

>Actually, I think he's just trying to make an association between
>Linux and the anti-business hippy types.   I, for one, am a total
>capitalist, and from my perspective, Linux is an EXCELLANT choice
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^

Lern to speal EXCALLENT you FUCKING LIE-NUX
IDIAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: 1 Jul 2000 19:26:20 -0500

On 28 Jun 2000 17:05:34 +0100, Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Jay> On 28 Jun 2000 14:00:04 +0100, Phillip Lord
>  Jay> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >> You are wrong on both counts. Business is universally of the side
>  >> of protectionism that benefits them.
>
>  Jay> It is that qualifiction that shoots the hole in the
>  Jay> argument. The original argument was that business is
>  Jay> universally on the side of protectionism. Your statement is
>  Jay> true, and unremarkable: aren't businesses allowed to act in
>  Jay> accordance with their own interests, just as people are?
>
>        Your original statement was that "big labour" was
>universally on the side of protectionism, which is not true. My second
>point is that big business is happy to be madly protectionist when it
>will benefit from it.
>
>  >> For someone who is so cognisant of the problems with the use of
>  >> the word "free" as espoused by the FSF, I am surprised that you
>  >> have not realised that the "free" market is a total sham.
>
>  Jay> No, I simply recognize that the free market must, like all
>  Jay> other freedoms, necessarily include the freedom to do things
>  Jay> that piss you off.
>
>        The free market provides freedom to almost no one.

It pervides more freedome than China, you LIE-nux COMMY
BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trying Linux yet again....
Date: 1 Jul 2000 19:26:30 -0500

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:14:24 -0400, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 22:55:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:42:19 -0400, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[deletia]
>>>This one X problem is about all I ran into. NIC worked, SCSI worked,
>>>USB mouse. Now with Mandrake 7.1 my NIC is broken, my USB mouse no
>>>longer works and my sound is broken. I've posted a message to
>>
>>      ...that's funny, my USB mouse works just fine. It's just a HID
>>      device after all...
>>
>>[deletia]
>

>It looks like the USB support in Mandrake 7.0 is not the same as what
>is in 7.1 The older versoin must have supported my motherboard's USB
>controller and the newer one doesn't.

You half to recompial the kernal a cuppal of times and maibe patch it to. Or
you can save
yourself the trubal turn your LIE-nux partitian into a Windo's won and put
all kinds of
spifee ap's in it and show off for your frends.

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 1 Jul 2000 19:26:42 -0500

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 08:59:10 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Oh boy...
>
>Everyone is telling me how Linux(1) is more reliable than Windows. Well,
>here's one for you.
>
>1. Log onto the Internet with Kppp
>2. Go to http://www.theregister.co.uk/ with kfm
>3. Find the article on middle england and boycott the pumps
>4. Find the link "dump the pump"
>5. Reject the cookie
>6. The new KDE window starts up but looks unfinished
>7. Tell the new window to refresh
>
>All X applications disappear. A message appears briefly that looks like
>the cookie again, but I couldn't tell.
>
>Nothing works from now on. Logout is the only option. Restart, do the
>above, it does it again.

Well, your problem seams to be (as you mentianned abuv) that your running Linux. Just
pop in Windo's 2000 and you woant have any more problem's.