From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 05:11:38 -0400

Shock Boy wrote:

> "Leslie Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8jretv$ad7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >We're talking about more than one simple part..
> >
> > Sure, Sparc's, Alpha's, IBM 390's, and many more work
> > great under Linux.
>
> We were discussing the installation on a PC where the hardware
> selection is far greater...

LoseDOS is restricted to Intel x86 clones.

Linux works on everything from 1960's IBM 370's up to the latest
chips being put out by IBM, SGI, SUN, HP, Motorola and, of course
Intel.

And you're talking about a "lack of hardware selection"

This must be some new meaning of the word "lack" which with the
people at Oxford and Webster are unacquainted.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 05:12:38 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Quoting Tim Scoff from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Tue, 13 Jun 2000 06:25:02
>    [...]
> >   Unix is wonderful if you're an expert.  If you're not there is a
> >steep learning curve involved in order to get to the point where you can
> >administer it successfully.
>
> Computers are wonderful if you're an expert.  If you're not there is a
> steep learning curve involved in order to get to the point where you can
> administer them successfully.  There is every bit as much "you didn't
> set it up right" from Win advocates as from Linux advocates (OK, I'm
> being nice, the NT guys do it MUCH more).  Nevertheless, whatever you
> are familiar with seems to make much more sense than whatever you are
> not.  Go figure.
>
> >   It's all in how much time you're willing to spend learning the OS of
> >your computer.  Unix requires time.
>
> NT requires time and waving dead chickens.

And re-installing...
LOTS and LOTS of re-installing.

> --
> T. Max Devlin
> Manager of Research & Educational Services
> Managed Services
> ELTRAX Technology Services Group
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
>    my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
>     applicable licensing agreement]-

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 05:16:19 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> >On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:35:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
> >wrote:

> >>      Remote admin would be an excellent one. There are many Windows
> >>      users that can't fend for themselves DESPITE all the hype. Unix
> >>      can be efficiently and effectively remotely admined from a 2400bps
> >>      serial connection, allowing relatives in other states to sort out
> >>      any scary details for you.
> >>
> >>[deletia]
>
> Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED] from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Wed, 14 Jun
> >That's what helpdesks were invented for....
> >Every company worht it's salt has one, contracted out or not....
>
> Ah-hahahahah!  :-D
>
> Yea.  And you know what all those salt company helpdesks are doing?
> Trying (still!) to get SMS to work so they can finally reach the
> promised land of remote admin.  And any that have found limited success
> with one specific capability involving SMS have said "Finally! Now DON'T
> TOUCH IT!", and its been mostly a doorstop since.
>
> Helpdesks, and the fact that every company has them, is precisely why
> someone, everyone (meaning someone responsible for company desktops,)
> should switch to Linux and abandon Windows.  Because contracted out or
> not, NO helpdesks for ANY large company have general remote admin
> capabilities, let alone universal and ubiquitous remote admin
> capabilities as they would if they adopted Linux.

Yep... my last stint with EDS...a group of 20 of us literally
did ALL of the helpdesk support for approximately 15,000
Unix workstations owned by GM.

Each site had 2 or 3 people on site for hardware issues (replacing
fried disks, coordinating hardware support with Sun, HP, etc.)--
but they are just entry-level techs.

> --
> T. Max Devlin
> Manager of Research & Educational Services
> Managed Services
> ELTRAX Technology Services Group
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
>    my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
>     applicable licensing agreement]-

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why linux sucks and why linux is best
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:49:44 GMT

It sucks because it has a rip off
rebate system and their so called
web support (because there are no live
people in that service) doesnot answer
any emails. I have been waiting for
a week.
They can talk and talk about the negatives
of Microsoft but they always pay their
rebates with no gimmicks and you can
always find a human being to talk to.
Linux sucks!!!

> Tim Palmer wrote:
>
> > >Scores of corporations and regular companies
have come
> > >and gone over time.  Religion is still here.
> >
> > It doesant matter that LIE-nux doesant work,
just as long as everyboddy uses it.
> > "Thow shalt halve no other gods before LIE-
nux!"

> It's linux nitwit.
>

> > >Linux DOES support USB and plug and play.
> >
> > Out of the box? Or after how manny kernal
patches and reompials?

> No Kernel patches for me....
> 2.4 is supposed to have MORE support..  But 2.2
stuff seems to work good.

From: Cameron Kerr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Distribution reviews
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:10:32 +1200

Hello wonderful netters.

I have just put my web-site up, and would like to post reviews, specs
sheets of the various linux-distributions that are about.

I have done (and am doing) a review for slackware, but I thought it best
to get users with more experience to do the other reviews, in order to
do them justice.

All I ask is that the reviews be objective, and honest, and avoid
subjective issues as easy to install, easy to use, and instead state the
reasons that might make it easy to se, easy to install.

CREDIT FOR EACH REVIEW WILL GO TO THOSE THAT SUBMIT THEM, IF YOU WISH

Go have a look, at http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cameronk

You'll find the format there (feel free to make suggestions)

The site is in it's infancy, so take it with a grain of salt.

PS. The site is designed to be low-bandwidth, without compromising on
looks

Thanks for reading

/*
 * Cameron Kerr
 * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 * Computer Science Student (Geek in Training)
 */

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 11:06:47 GMT

HI:
I agree. Linux has no regard for service.
They ONLY offer web service for people that
pay for the software and then they do not
respond I have been waiting ONE week.
Also they have all kinds of gimmicks with
their rebates so they can keep your money
Many out there write dozens of complains about
Microsoft BUT Microsoft always honor their rebates
and are the fastest company I know (3 weeks)
to pay rebates and when you own  new MS software
you always have access to a human voice at least
for the first 90 days; sometimes for a year
depending on the software and always thru TOLL
free phone numbers.
So I also think LINUX  really sucks and is just
looking for somekind of egghead elite. It may
survive but it will have terrible times in the
process They should learn from Apple and stop
the arrogance and improve the service or
History will repeat itself!
I do not need Linux lovers to convince me
with nice or ugly emails.
I need my MONEY and a prompt response to my
problems just as they promised in the manual
of my new software
Thank you for your time and sorry if I
hurt any Linux lovers feelings
Chris

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: 05 Jul 2000 12:22:18 +0100

  Hyman> Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
  >> I can not think of one person who is happy that they now have to
  >> pay to watch the footie on Sky, when the BBC used to do it for
  >> free. There is no issue of popularity here, just the issue of
  >> large scale capital being used forcible.
  >>
  >> So maybe economic force is now what you are talking about. In
  >> which case I should point out that my Father, like many of his
  >> generation, was subject to a mounted baton charge, and tear
  >> gassed by the Metropolitan Police force for having the temerity
  >> to disagree with our government over control of the media.

  Hyman> Unfortunately, I don't know anything about these situations,
  Hyman> being over here in the States.

        Yes I realised that this would be a problem. The difficulty
is that I wanted to refer to specifics.

  Hyman> In the first case, I assume you are referring to a situation
  Hyman> where interested consumers of some broadcast are required to
  Hyman> pay for it instead of assuming that the entire population is
  Hyman> equally interested in it, so that it should be paid for by
  Hyman> taxes. If that's the case, it seems reasonable to me.

        In the first case the BBC used to broadcast many of the large
sporting events to the entire population, as a "public service". When
Sky came along the spend huge amounts of money in acquiring TV rights,
and then selling subscriptions to them as loss leaders. Nowadays if
you want to watch many of these events then you have to pay for
multiple subscriptions.

        Perhaps this makes sense to you, but not to me. The price of a
decoder box is actually greater than the cost of a TV license. The
cost of ensuring that only some people can get the service is actually
a large part of providing that service. I seem to remember an argument
from RMS at one point about a road with a toll box on. The purpose of
a road is to allow people to travel from A to B. Road tolls
contradicts this purpose. Indeed many companies have accepted this, so
for instance the Forth Road Bridge (which has a toll) only charges in
one direction. The other direction you can travel for free. Why block
both directions when you can get away with just disrupting one?

        The point remains though that it was not consumer choice at
all. It was just the economic power of one company. Nor was it the
activity of competition, and the free market as it was a loss leader.

  Hyman> In the second case, I assume you are referring to a situation
  Hyman> where a small group of people were engaged in a protest
  Hyman> against a decision that their government had made, presumably
  Hyman> in the usual legal way, and the police perceived, possibly
  Hyman> incorrectly, that the situation was, or was potentially, a
  Hyman> riot which needed to be suppressed. I don't know the
  Hyman> specifics of the outbreak of violence, but clearly government
  Hyman> by whomever is able to assemble the noisiest protest is not a
  Hyman> terribly good idea.

        No. It was a situation where our Prime Minister decided that
she was going to change things, and use the police as a political
weapon, and extreme force to ensure that she got her way. The
Metropolitian police has a unparallelled reputation for violence and
thuggery, and they were used extensively during that period of our
history for crushing dissent violently.

        It may be true that government by the noisiest is not a
terribly good idea. As it happens I agree. But I also think that
government by the richest is an equally bad idea, and by and large
that is what we have at the moment.

        Phil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Subject: Re: C# is a copy of java
Date: 5 Jul 2000 11:26:21 GMT

In article <8jt8ta$ie3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You mean you don't like:
>    char *foo="abcd"; foo[2];
> and
>    "abcd"[2];
> and
>    2["abcd"];
> to all mean the same thing?

Too right.  That sort of programming (along with beauties like
*("abcd"+2) and its ilk) is abused so much more than it is used
properly.  Hence, you're better off without it.  I've lost count of
the number of times someone has done cute address arithmetic because
it was slightly faster and saved a few bytes on some particular
architecture (never mind the fact that it blows up in your face on
others...)  Grrr...

If a language is so uncontrolled that using a debugger is an everyday
occurrence, something is deeply wrong.  IMHO at least.  Trading a bit
of speed for greatly increased safety from bizarre code is a good
thing in my view.  There are good reasons why not many people write in
assembler any more...

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- I may seem more arrogant, but I think that's just because you didn't

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 07:41:22 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Quoting John Bode from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:42:52

> >> Let's not get psycho here.  Anybody remember the hype a few years back
> >> about how "thin client" were going to eliminate PCs in the office?
> >> Nobody seemed to remember that what they were basically talking about
> >> was bringing back mainframes and dumb terminals.  Didn't work then,
> >> won't work now.
> >>
> >> And sure, I-Appliances will have their place, but they'll never
> >> replace computers.  Neither will the PS2.  You ever try web-surfing at
> >> 800x600 with a gamepad?
> >>

> >I agree, the technology isn't there yet.  And yes, I do remember the
> >hype about thin clients.  Hell, I remember the hype about the "paperless
> >office" (judging by our recycle bins, I'd say that was a bust).  I'm not
> >thinking in terms of a thin client as such.  What I envision will still
> >have its own internal storage and software, but will be tailored to a
> >specific purpose.
> >
> >The general purpose desktop box won't go away completely, but I do think
> >that it will be less prominent in many people's lives as dedicated
> >information appliances become more common.  People who just want email
> >and Web access and games can now get it without needing a PC.
> >
> >I don't see the PS2 as the future of surfing per se, but I think it
> >represents a major step in the evolution of this kind of appliance.
> >
> >I freely admit that my crystal ball is very hazy, and I may just be
> >misinterpreting some random patterns.
>
> Actually, this is the "standard visionary" perspective (no insult
> intended).  And while we might all recognize "thin client is dumb
> terminal" and that desktops have proven superior in the past, the fact
> is that it is the "net PC as hardware" which is dubious.  Of course,
> having "its own internal storage and software" doesn't prevent something
> from fitting the mold.
>
> But the fact is that thin client *in software* has almost completely
> swept the market.  The web itself is extremely server-centric, using an
> *extremely*, practically non-existent, minimal client side, yet it is
> the driving force behind the Internet in many respects.  The recent
> groundswell based on the ASP approach, making applications available
> remotely via web interfaces, essentially, also demonstrates the validity
> of this concept.  But only in software.

Basically, for corporate work.....the desktop PC is DEVOLVING into
an appliance which is

a) a Word Processor / Spreadsheet / Presentation Tool manager
        (i.e. glorified typewriter)   PLUS
b) small custom input/output front-ends for servers.

In effect, the idiotic desktop anarchy of the 80's and early 90's
is comign to an end, as management discovers that computing is best
left to the professionals.

The proliferation of desktop computers is rooted in vanity.
Initially, a few small-business owners had TRS-80, Commodore PET,
or the occassional Apple ][ machine for billings and records and
simple document creation and storage.  "Big business" managers
laughed at these "toys" as they called them..

However, with the introduction of the IBM PC (which was just as
much of a toy as the previously mentioned machines), the PC was
now suddenly a "legitimate" computer (WHY?  Because it had those
three little letters on it: IBM.  Now... a PC became STATUS SYMBOL...
and that is where all of the corporate idiocy started.

Because once the managers started having these things on their
desks, and putting their own software on without any sort of real
input from the Data Processing department... they lost practically
all authority to control the wave of machines that started appearing
in their departments.

So... the only sound way to manage it.... turn all of the PC's
(EVEN THOSE BELONGING TO UPPER UPPER MANAGEMENT) back over to
the Data Processing departments...

And, so, what we are seeing now, is DP managers trying to put an
end to the cubical-level anarchy .  At several companies where I
have worked.....it's to the point where having any software not
installed by the company is grounds for immediate termination.

Actually, the M$ spiralling upgrade cycle is turning out to be their
own undoing.  When I was at Kmart, my department (unix server support
team) was looking into putting Linux in our cubicles.  That was about
2 years ago.  The simple fact that we could LEGALLY make as many
installs as we wanted off of one $50 set of CD's was already looking
very attractive.

Now that M$'s shenanigans are being circulated among management
everywhere,... M$'s house of cards is beginning to crumble...

And.. so... the era of bloated software on desktops will come
to an end.

Seriously... there is absolutely no need for the average corporate
user to have a 500+ MHz on their desktop....

Stripping down the desktop PC as a sophisticated, highly flexible
front-end for the servers... basically ... an X-terminal, only
a little smarter... is exactly what we do need....the sooner
the better.

> The hardware, well, no, I don't think that will really ever make sense,
> John.  Because when someone "just needs to" web surf or play games or do
> wordprocessing, they want to do it on their terms and in there own way.
> Some want to do it all at once, some need to do one at a time, some
> desire performance, others require features.  So to do all those things,
> you need a general purpose computer.  It might only be loaded with
> software providing a sub-set of the potential capabilities.  But its
> both cheaper and more efficient to do that on a general purpose
> computer.
>
> We might all imagine that there is tremendous value in simplicity.  Lets
> say I imagine that it would be quite handy to have a little email/IM
> machine in my bedroom or basement.  I don't need a "whole PC", and the
> appliance looks cool and is "special purpose".  So I buy it.  And then
> I've got to hook it in to my email.  You didn't assume this would be the
> only place I check my email from, did you?  All right, even so; all I
> ever do (aside from a few games on my Nintendo IV, and my cell
> phone/pager stuff) is email and IM.
>
> So it sits there, and I use it for email, and I think to myself,
> eventually, you know its going to happen: "I really wish I could
> access...."
>
> At this point, you can turn everything in the world into email, so I can
> access it here, on a special purpose system.  Or you can convert this
> into a general purpose system (and now the simple design intrudes, and
> the lack of flexibility inhibits).  So I throw the thing out and buy a
> PC.
>
> Now, why didn't I just buy a PC to begin with?
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
> Manager of Research & Educational Services
> Managed Services
> ELTRAX Technology Services Group
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
>    my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
>     applicable licensing agreement]-

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.