From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:22:51 -0500

Said Curtis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 25 Nov 2000 07:47:25 -0500;
>T. Max Devlin wrote...
   [...]
>> >Yes, I've adjusted file associations without difficulty.
>>
>> And you still don't recognize how badly implemented it is?
>
>I get by quite OK with it.

You'd get buy eating raw squirrels you catch by hand, too, if you needed
to.

>>  Well, you're
>> not a professional technologist, so I guess that's quite possible.
>
>Indeed. :=)

Your passive-aggressive smilies are getting tiresome, indeed.

>> Let
>> me tell you; there were tons of complexity which you luckily managed to
>> avoid in those experiences when you adjust file associations "without
>> difficulty".  I'm glad it worked out for you, but it merely indicates
>> that your adjustments were rather trivial.
>
>You think it's luck.

No, I know its luck.  Not that its a rare thing that you didn't have
problems; just that there's nothing but luck that separates you from
those that do have problems.

   [...]
>> >Is there any practical reason for me to know more than I do presently.
>>
>> Yes.  The practical reason is that you don't know for what practical
>> reason you will need to know more than you do presently.
>
>:=)

If only that meant you understood what I said.

   [...]
>> Yes.  What do you do if the file type doesn't already exist?
>
>Short of taking to the registry, there's no easy way of doing that.

Quite so.

>Could you give a practical, productive reason for wanting to create a new
>file type that doesn't exist?

Yes.  When you want to set up a program which does not have its own file
type as the default for files with a certain extension.  I had a
UUDecoder program, for instance.  The clicky-clicky, "spare me from
knowledge", "just do it for me" crowd might think that an application
that doesn't create its own file type is deficient.  In truth, it is the
presumption that every application needs, uses, or should have its own
file type which is silly, at best.

90% of the file types listed in your Open With... dialog have no
practical, productive reason for being there.  To hell with creating new
ones; how about getting rid of the useless ones?

   [...]
>Is that what you had to do. Poor fella. :=)

No, actually I make a great living, thanks.  Now go play with the other
children and leave the adults to there discussion, OK?

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!
http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:23:56 -0500

Said mark in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 25 Nov 2000 16:18:21 +0000;
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, T. Max Devlin wrote:
   [...]
>>Sorry for droning on about this with late posts, but there is a
>>reasonable thought that justifies a 49 day uptime *COUNTER* (AS IN NOT A
>>CLOCK) at the time NT was given the ability to provide it.  Which was
>>quite a bit after it was written (in the current form being
>>implemented).  NT utilizes the standard SNMP mechanism, sysUptime, a
>>timeticks MIB counter.  Timeticks MIB counters are in thousands of a
>>second.  When querying a Unix server via SNMP, it also reports in
>>thousands of a second.  Neither of these is a "clock", but a continuity
>>indicator, so it really doesn't matter.  (Other than that weird bug in
>>the first version of NT which had the SNMP integrated with the registry,
>>in about 1997, IIRC, which caused the system to reboot when the counter
>>rolled over.)
>>
>>Think about it.  All you need to do is query the server once every 49
>>days.
>
>That's the point at which I think mmmmmmmm, everything has to work
>correctly for 1/49th of time in a contiguous block with a granularity
>of 1 day (86400s) for this scheme to function.  The argument is sound,
>but I'm not sure about this bit of it.

I do not understand at all what you mean.  *Nothing* has to work
correctly any of the time for this scheme to function.  Granted, if you
*only* poll once every 49 days, if a reset (discontinuity) occurs, you
will only know the time since last reboot, not the time since first
reboot.  So the more often you poll, the greater the chance that you
polled just before, and just after, the discontinuity.  You get a
granularity of one poll cycle with this scheme.  Is this what concerned
you?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Same old Linux..Nothing new here...
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:07:25 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marc Richter wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:38:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:54:18 GMT, kiwiunixman
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>Claire, if you despise many of the Linux distro's you have tried, why
>>>don't you release your own distro,  Claire Lynn Linux 2000: Made by an
>>>idiot, for idiots.
>>>
>>>kiwiunixman
>
>Actually, Claire, you could just name it "ClaireLynux 2K". After all,
>geeks appreciate a good play on words. :-)

This would never work, because the distro would change name every
few weeks, sometimes it would exist under two (or even more)
competing names, occasionally it would change to be a completely
different OS, but then rapidly change back again.  Then some
of the earlier names would disappear, apparently without trace.
The robots.txt would prevent any search engine from indexing
any part of any of the download sites, the older of which would
disappear into net legend.

Sometimes the distro would crash without reason, particularly
with X running, and every four days it would demand to be either
re-installed or replaced with another distro.  Each install
would fail to properly configure some part of the system, but
that part would change each time for no clear reason.  Often
times, the boot floppy image will be damaged, but then will
be magically okay for the other people using it.

Now and again, a message will pop up from root saying 'WHERE'S
THE SB LIVE DRIVER, LINUX IS .... etc.'

I've just re-read this and don't think it's funny, but perhaps
it is - what do you think?

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:09:27 +0000

In article <8vsjnl$5ffj4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > How can it be a windows problem?
>> > If Netscape crashes, it's Netscape problem.
>>
>> Not necessarily.  I wrote an app that worked fine, sent it to a customer,
>> who complained that it crashed when he moved the mouse over a toolbar.
>> I felt bad, until I discovered that Visual C++ had updated COMCTRL32.DLL
>> on my machine.  I sent him my version (who knows if I violated some
>> MSFT law?), and that fixed his problem... a Windows problem.  There have
>> been other similar examples of broken DLLs, if I recall.  How wuz I
>supposed
>> to know that all my clients had to install IE 4 for my code to work.
>> Yeeeesh!
>
>No, that is *not* windows problem.
>That is *your* problem.
>You application used updated DLL, which you didn't bother to check.
>If you'd an *older* version of COMCTRL32.DLL, they you'd a case, but not
>when it's an updated version.

Yes, you were supposed to know, you fool.  Don't ever write any
code for windows again, foolish mortal.  Keep your hands of
anything from Redmond, because if it goes wrong, it *will* be
your fault, and we'll tell you the reason later.  Maybe.

>> > And, for what it worth, MS didn't release anything lately that can break
>> > Netscape, so this arguement is pointless.
>>
>> And how do you know that, my friend?  Does Netscape not use any Windows
>> DLL's?
>
>If it run on windows, it use windows API.
>A common anti-ms arguement is that it change the API without bothering to
>tell anybody and thus breaking competitor's applications.

And we all know that this never happens, don't we children.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:10:39 +0000

In article <8vsa1i$5grsc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:hxdU5.25015$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:8vqs63$5e16i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >

>> > Win98 will fly on 32MB (I used to work on 16 win 98)
>> > And I'm running a server on a 64MB which is also used as a desktop
>> machine.
>>
>> You have a strange idea of flying.   My 32MB machine crawls if you
>> open more than a couple of windows.
>
>What are you doing on it?
>What windows? What services run on the background?

Yeah - don't *run* anything, that'll slow it down.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Things I have noticed................
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:14:00 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, kiwiunixman wrote:
> [...]
>

>2. From who I know in the Wintel world, Wintel users tend to have the worst
>taste in fashion and music.  Two of them could not co-ordinate colours and
>patterns if their life depended on it :) God, music, listening to rubbish
>such as Five, Backstreet Boys, S-Club and Boy Zone.  You are probably
>saying, "What has fashion and music un-cordination have to do with OS's",
>everything! This argument is no better than the GUI argument that gets used
>by wintel users.
>
>This conclusion made from analysing Wintel user responses and people at
>university.
>

>3. So-called ex-linux users using the excuse, "it is too hard" as an excuse
>for not continuing to use Linux.  Down the road at my local book store there
>were hundreds of books, from linux for beginners up to programming linux on
>servers, so for around $NZ99.95 (incl. GST) a user can get a book and a
>CD-ROM giving a complete guide on how to use Linux .  Why should they read a
>book? well, isn't reading a book better than looking at the idiot box
>(television) at night.
>
>This conclusion reached from all the posts from Claire Lynn (now known as
>Sir)
>

>4. The so-called UNIX crushing NT4 never achieved what it set out to do, it
>fact, it re-enforced the need to stick with UNIX, so in some respects, NT4
>was a god send for companys such as Sun Microsystems and SGI (Server
>Division) which gave them something to mock and use as a benchmark to prove
>their system reliability.
>
>This conclusion reached from market information and Chad's conviction that
>NT4 is better than UNIX.
>

>5. Wintel users who post here tend to have 6 months experience and can click
>on the start button, hence, by Microsoft definition, they are an expert
>computer user. I, however started off using an Amiga 500, whilst at the same
>time I also taught my self how to program on a BBC-Micro with 32K mem, then
>I gradually moved on to a Pentium 75 with 8MB Ram (later upgraded to 40MB),
>used Windows 95a for around 1 year, got pissed off and moved onto Redhat
>Linux 5.2, then upgraded my machine to a Pentium 200MMX with 64MB Ram,
>installed SuSE Linux 6.0. About a year ago I upgraded to a Pentium 550e and
>SuSE Linux 7.0 Professional, and here I am, next year I plan to either
>upgrade to a SGI O2 workstation or SUN Ultra Sparc Workstation. Compare that
>time line to the typical wintel  poster here with the typical story of, "I
>bought a computer, I must be a computer expert" mentality.
>
>This conclusion reached by analysising alf-assed efforts to rebuke the
>superior technology behind Linux.
>

>6. When a wintel user get defeated by carefully phrased responses, they
>change their names, aka Claire Lynn/Chad/ and any other names you care to
>add.
>
>This conclusion reached by analysing alf-assed efforts to rebuke the

Pretty impressive summary.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:16:08 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jacques Guy wrote:
>mlw wrote:
>
>> So, if the number of books available to help the masses is an indication
>> that the environment sucks, well, then Windows sucks big-time.
>
>Stuff and nonsense. Do you remember the halcyon days of pet rocks?
>And you had books galore about how to care for your pet rock?
>Did  pet rocks suck? How, I ask you, how could a pet rock
>possibly suck? All right.  So, pet rocks don't suck. You had
>books about pet rocks. You have books about Windoze. Therefore,
>Windoze does not suck either. Admire the logic of it. Thank you,
>thank you, thank you (please, stop pelting me with flowers).

Mmmm, probably the most succintly put argument I've seen for
some time.

Just off to find a rock - which version do I need to be compatible
with my floor?

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:13:34 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jacques Guy wrote:
>kiwiunixman wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>Dork.
>
>(Just the French gentleman, standing in for Claire, who seems
> too busy to answer you. We Frogs are renowned for helping
> the ladies, isn't that right, Sir Claire, Twatty Bird
> darling?)

Oh man, you're killin me... :)

Mark

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Time for another Lynn bait,  this one's a beauty! (and another Win
experience)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:27:02 -0500

Said mark in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 25 Nov 2000 21:14:37 +0000;
   [...]
>Mmm.  Beats me.  The only thing I see Win95/DOS7 booted
>for now is for playing games (which it is good for).

I have to point out, Win/DOS pretty much sucks for playing games, as
much as anything else.  This is the application barrier at work, plain
and simple.

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Subject: Is design really that overrated?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:13:16 -0500

Hi guys,

I'm a designer...I recently installed Mandrake 7.2 and found it to be the
only distro where everything set up as easily as Windows (with the exception
of my cable modem connection, which still doesn't work...gotta figure out
drakconf) more out of curiosity for an alternative to MS OSes than anything
else.

One thing I noticed is that when someone in another group
(comp.sys.mac.advocacy) reviewed whistler, the fact that it had a nicely
designed interface came under *vicious* attack. It's sad that for some
reason, the Linux community doesn't believe in aesthetically pleasing
design.

Anyway, here's a rank Linux Newbie's review of mandrake 7's graphic design
(and a few other things)...

Installation:
Although the graphics in the installer were (bad) amateur at best and
obviosly designed by someone with a very rudimentary understanding of the
fundamentals of color theory. The installation was (super) easy after I made
an empty area of diskspace in my second drive. It was like popping in toast.
This was good.

The Startup Screen...

I think the Linux Mandrake startup graphical screen has no class. The linux
Mandrake Login penguins look stupid (and have no class).

In the login screen, is it possible to change these graphics, maybe to
pictures of the users? The different penguins all suck. Hard. The UI
elements are doing it right though with the popular pillow emboss look.

I think Corel got it right on with their classy low-contrast collages,
They're easy on the eyes, and have a pleasant classic, stable, buisnesslike
look (even though that stupid-looking penguin was still looking out at me
from the corner of the startup screen).

Why is the Linux penguin used so much when it's so goddamned goofy-looking?
This thing I see at boot (the scrolling list of things that load when you
start Mandrake) assaults my sense of style. Why do you all have to put up
with such a silly-looking mascot? It looks like a drawing someone scribbled
on the back of a napkin! It's terrible that the aesthetic aspects of the
linux OS take such a back seat to everything else! Linux logos, like the GNU
bull (or whatever it is) look unpolished and unprofessional. The Xfree86
logo would absolutely fail in any one of my corporate identity design
projects, the globe is _the_ most clichéd element in corporate design, to
the point where no self respecting designer would use it at this point, it
conveys no idea of what the organization does.

KDE classic's scrollbars look terrible, and are about 4 - 5 years behind the
times design-wise. The flat (or pillow emboss) look is in people, time to
adjust. KDE2 improves this quite a bit, but still foists these
crappy-looking scrollbars on users. You may not think much of it, but the
devil is in the details. At least on the window bars, they don't commit the
capital UI offense of grouping destructive items with non-destructive items
(like windows and MacOS X and KDE classic do). It's a very good useability
feature borrowed from MacOS 9 to put close on the left upper corner and
Iconify/Maximize in the right upper corner. Their intentions are good and
they have clearly realized that the MacOS UI team had it right the first
time..

The default theme for XMMS is dark and it's difficult to discern different
elements like play/stop/rewind (the eMAC skin is what I would make the
default) There are so many classy, useable skins, why use such a crappy one
by default?

Cut and Paste support across apps is terrible, Navigator 4.75's font
handling is a joke. A bad joke. Now I know why I design my pages for
IE5...If I were to design for linux users, I'd have to either not use CSS
font handling at all (because fonts become illegible) or design the pages
completely in flash (but you can't design legible pages in flash because of
the anti-aliasing). So I would have to design pages that look oh about 5
years behind the times.

And finally: KDE2 apps are unstable...And the OS is frustratingly solid. I
mean, an OS that never goes down is useless if any (non-console) app you use
in it can come crashing down at any second anytime. Yeah, my windows
installation crashes hard 3-4 times a week requiring a reboot sometimes a
manual press of the reset switch, but until that time, apps are solid and
everything behaves as expected. On my linux installation, X apps crash 12-20
times A DAY (segfault...what the hell is that?), the OS keeps chugging
happily along, while (potentially anyway) I lose hours and hours of work due
to unstable apps. I haven't done any real work in linux so far, because (oh
so ironically) in my opinion, it's far too unstable! The apps crash like it
was the national pastime!

Oh, and I think that if they got rid of all the stupid looking penguins,
water buffaloes and got a decent graphic designer to design their logos /
login / installation screens, people, upon seeing linux for the first time
would realize that it's not a hobby/toy desktop OS. But we got a long way to
go for that. It's called brand building, Linux has none and no brand
building = no mindshare, no mindshare = no users. It doesn't matter how good
it IS, until it LOOKS good, no one with any sense of style will use it.

BTW, I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I'll re-design all this stuff
if no one else is willing (the GNU bull, the linux penguin, the xfree86 logo
and anything else I find that needs it). I'll submit it, and then the
community can do whatever it pleases with it. I did my part. Unfortunately,
due to lack of proper (serious) graphic design tools on Linux (killustrator
is not a serious graphic design tool, neither is CorelDraw until it stops
using WINE), I'm doing it all on Windows and MacOS =(

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:22:41 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Giuliano Colla wrote:
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said Giuliano Colla in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 25 Nov 2000
>>    [...]
>> >Max, listen to me.
>> >
>> >I don't object on counters for continuity indicators. It's the simplest
>> >and cleanest solution I can see. I'm well aware that a counter rolls
>> >over to zero. It's the MS implementation what I object to.
>> >
>> >You have given the specs for the uptime: a 32 bit value, which is
>> >incremented in units of one hundredth of second, or 10 ms if you prefer.
>> >This allows for a continuous increment during 497 days and something,
>> >then, as any binary value it will become all 1's, and at next increment
>> >it will be all 0's. OK?
>> >
>> >That's what anybody would expect from such a specification, and that's
>> >very simple and easy to deal with, if it's intended (as it is) as a
>> >continuity indicator.
>> >
>> >Now look what NT does. It exposes a 32 bit value, which is incremented
>> >in units of one hundredth of a second, as per specs, but when it reaches
>> >a value 10 times smaller than the all 1's value (i.e. after 49.7 days,
>> >instead 497) it goes back to zero. To be exact, when it reaches the
>> >binary value 11001100110011001100110011001 it goes back to zero. It's
>> >not a binary counter rolling over to zero!
>> >
>> >If you provide a 3 digit decimal counter as a continuity indicator, you
>> >think that after 999 it will roll over to 000. But you'd never expect it
>> >to go back to 000 after, say 191![...]
>>
>> Holy shit.  All this time, I figured I was the one dropping a zero, or
>> one or the other was thousandths.  See how that works?  You start
>> thinking you're reasonably smart, and then you find you can't keep the
>> simplest details straight.
>>
>> Well, heck, thanks for the tutorial, Giuliano.  That's killer.  I guess
>> I was just giving a certain party the benefit of the doubt, without much
>> cause.  Holy...
>>
>> No wonder I missed it.  Its just so ludicrous.
>>
>> WHY?  I'm not going to be able to think until I figure out why!  HOW?
>> for that matter.  HOW?
>>

>You see? Even the fiercest fighter against MS monopoly finds sometimes
>difficult just to consider that they could have done such a crappy thing
>as they've done!
>
>As of how and why, two choices are available: incompetence (one point
>for me) or sabotage for monopolistic purposes (one point for you).

I resubmit my argument that if you don't expect long uptimes,
you might even believe that it's in your interest to ensure
that the uptime counter *always* resets between alternative
monthly performance reviews.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:33:54 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Raeder wrote:
>Matthew Soltysiak wrote:
>> > I DON'T CARE!!!
>> >
>> > I will still continue to run my Linux System which has performed for me better
>> > than anything MS has ever done.
>> >

>> Ok, so go away... why did you respond to this?  Stupid linvocates.. whistler will
>> continue windows domination over the world.
>
>Ok, Why did you bother posting a Whistler review on Linux &
>Mac NGs?  You're stoned if you didn't expect some backlash.
>
>Now go play with your windoze busy-box. :P
>
>--
>My Australian Shepherd is smarter than your honour student

That was Ayende (who else) waxing lyrical about how great the
new colour scheme was (or something).

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:27:28 +0000

In article <RptU5.25410$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:

>"Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>

>> Tom Elam wrote:

>> > That would make it a pretty impressive piece of software.
>> >

>> yep, only 2 crashes per day instead of 5, and only 5 employees angry for
>> their work being lost instead of 10 employees.
>
>You idiots are all the same. You used Windows back in the Win3.0 days,
>realized it was shit, and then never used another Windows again, but
>held every version to that standard.
>
>NT is far superior, Win2K even more, and Whistler just that much more.
>
>-Chad

Unfortunately, we've had to use Windows from 3.0, 3.1, wfw3.11,
Win95osr2, Win98se.  Or at least I have.  And they've all
been *very* unstable.  The constant marketing effort by Microsoft
to persuade the populous at large that using windows is a
pleasant experience just doesn't cut it.  I'd rather have had
that money spent on making it stable, 'cos it's not.

Sorry Chad, the audience is a little wiser than you claim,
and a little more jaded than you think.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:29:45 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, kiwiunixman wrote:
>I too have had a look at Whistler, and I seems to be developing pretty
>good, however, I am not particulary worried about Whistler as I am
>getting a Ultra Sparc 5 400Mhz next year (around January).  Hopefully
>Microsoft will keep to its promises, rather than make a half-ass effort
>so that they can get it out the door.  Also, I am a little worried about
>what the hardware requirements will be as Windows 2000 Pro, IMHO is mega
>bloatware, in that, what Windows does vs. it's size can not be justified.
>

>kiwiunixman

Get ready to at least double your memory and HD space just to
get it on the machine.  Then you probably need to double your
processor speed.

Frankly, you will probably need to spend large sums of money on
a new computer in order to gain the full benefit of the pretty
new colour schemes and widgets and all that.

Mark