From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: 5 Jul 2000 16:50:50 GMT

On 05 Jul 2000 12:38:02 -0400, Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Why should someone have the right to demand that others
>give away their services?

Why, indeed?
Now, apply that question to the GPV. Why should the author of a GPV-licensed
program - who has already made the choice to give away his services - have
the right to demand that I do so, too?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: I hope you trolls are happy...
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:55:59 GMT

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:33:16 +0200, Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It was the Sun, 02 Jul 2000 19:34:24 -0400...
>...and Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > UNIX systems typically do not cope well with the power being interrupted.

        They cope better than WinDOS does. They even cope better than
        NT in some situations even despite the so-called journalling
        filesystem it's supposed to have.

>That's because UNIX systems are supposed to run 24/7, and nobody in
>their right mind runs a system 24/7 without a nicely supported UPS.
>
>Now is this a good or a bad thing? Remains to be proven, my machine
>does not run 24/7 anyway.

        I've horribly abused ext2fs to no ill effect.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 05 Jul 2000 13:03:12 -0400

Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>   Hyamn> And why is the gap between the richest and poorest a good
>   Hyamn> measure of anything?
>
>         Its a measure of the distribution of the power of an
> individual to affect their own circumstances.

Sure, but you're trying to measure something about a society by
comparing outlying points in the direction of rich and poor. That
is very unlikely to give a true picture of what life is like for
most people.

> We are told nowadays that full employment, or even full housing is
> not possible.

In terms of full employment, the claim is that there needs to be a
certain small level of unemployment so that there workers available
to fill job openings. Otherwise, the price of labor will jump to
unreasonably high levels. Remember that the cost of labor is included
in prices, so this will not be an unalloyed good for the common folk,
because the prices they pay will also go up. Also notice that a level
of unemployment does not mean that the *same* people are continuously
unemployed. Instead, there is a ferment of people entering and leaving
jobs.

>         But the majority of the wealth is held by a few
> people. Hence their needs are considered much more important than
> others.

To themselves, and they have the ability to pay for what they need.

> Which is why I who write programs which may help in the diagnosis of
> disease get paid about one fifth of the salary of someone who writes
> programs which calculate pension plans for stockbrokers. Disease is
> sadly not limited to the rich. Indeed it is over represented in the
> poorer sections of the population.

Perhaps you should work for a sick stockbroker? Perhaps you should
work for a regular stockbroker, until the scarcity of medical
programmers drives up their salary, and then you can go back?
Seriously, being wealthy means that you can buy the things you
want to buy, even at high prices. You may disagree with their
priorities, but after all, it is their money, not yours.

>         I am aware of the economic theory. The practice is very
> very different. The "market" is not some free moving force of nature,
> but by and large a bunch of chinless wonders in red braces. The
> current "dot-com" crap is a good example. The "value" of these
> companies exists currently only in the minds of the investors.

The "market" is the combined actions of all the people in it, chinned
or not. The "value" of anything is a negotiated settlement between the
one who has it and the one who wants it. As far as I can tell, it's
the venture capital people who are taking the biggest bath in the fall
of tech stocks.

>         Not at all. I'm sure you saw some of the howls from the US
> when it was suggested that more green cards for foreign programmers
> would be a good idea. Turns out that if a company wants to relocate
> from the US to the UK (or vice versa) that is okay. But if I want to
> relocate? Or worse if a Indian wants to relocate? Where is the free
> market then?

The free market is an abstract idea. In practice, its freedom is
limited by those who seek to use their influence on the law to
gain advantage by restricting it. This is handled by the larger
free market, which punishes the inefficiency.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
Date: 5 Jul 2000 17:02:39 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <8jvjds$2cvi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
>
>> It proves that you have (and likely had) no interest in making it work
>> at all.
>
> Huh? How does it prove that conclusion? You're making this up as you go
> along.

And you lie constantly, as has been proven to one and all beyond the
shadow of a doubt.

Face it, pete, you wanted an easy replacement for windows.  You wanted it
to just *work* right out of the box; you didnt want to have to read any
instructions, you didnt want to have to use your brain, and you are
resentful because you feel like an idiot.

And rightfully so, because you *are* an idiot.

Linux clearly isnt for you, pete.  So quit whining and move on.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 5 Jul 2000 17:04:18 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <8jvjfi$2cvi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
>
>> Avoid questions?
>>
>> What about the post where all of YOUR lies were exposed?
>>
>> I didnt notice a response to that, pete.  Your credibility is zero.
>
> Quite often I don't bother to reply when I realise I am talking to a
> brick wall. Otherwise we end up with endless replies going nowhere fast.

Ah.  So when someone exposes your lies and deciet, they are a 'brick wall'.

> Charlie on the other hand makes great statements but never bothers to
> put any substance to them.
>
> I mean, all I'm asking him to do is justify the statement that Windows
> 2000 is not based on Windows NT technology. Where does he get such
> knowledge from?

All youre doing is pissing and whining like a spoiled little girl,
and thats all you EVER do.

> In any case I don't care if you think my credibility is zero. That's
> your problem, you deal with it.

Everyone thinks your credibility is zero.  Seems to me that thats
YOUR problem.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 05 Jul 2000 18:05:37 +0100

  Hyman> Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
  >> When Sky came along the spend huge amounts of money in
  >> acquiring TV rights, and then selling subscriptions to them as
  >> loss leaders. Nowadays if you want to watch many of these events
  >> then you have to pay for multiple subscriptions.

  Hyman> In other words, the sporting leagues realized that they could
  Hyman> make extra money by charging television viewers for the
  Hyman> privilege of seeing games, instead of allowing them to be
  Hyman> broadcast for free.

        Not really. The football league was getting paid for TV rights
anyway, and lots of people watched it. Then many parts went onto Sky
and much fewer people watched it. The football teams got paid more
however because Sky was happy to loose money over the deal, as this
was not why they were into screening it.

  Hyman> That seems fine to me. Why should someone have the right to
  Hyman> demand that others give away their services?

        Which was not the situation at all. A large company used its
economic power to force something onto the population, which no one
really wanted, but which there was no way to stop. I'm sure that you
are aware of plenty of other instances of this happening. The example
I picked was one, but there are many all around the world.

  >> The point remains though that it was not consumer choice at
  >> all. It was just the economic power of one company. Nor was it
  >> the activity of competition, and the free market as it was a loss
  >> leader.

  Hyman> Consumers are not permitted to choose the price at which
  Hyman> things they buy are sold, because that choice would be
  Hyman> zero. The choice of the consumer is what to buy, and whether
  Hyman> to buy it. It is a case where someone who was giving
  Hyman> something away decided to begin charging for it. There is
  Hyman> nothing wrong with that, despite the fact that the former
  Hyman> recipients are annoyed.

        Indeed. But there is such thing as abusing a monopoly
situation. And more generally I feel that consumers should be charged
what is a reasonable charge for the services, rather than the cost
that the market can bear. And finally I feel that all aspects of our
lives should be open to democratic control. Consumerism is all very
well, but its no a real substitute for democracy no?

  >> No. It was a situation where our Prime Minister decided that she
  >> was going to change things, and use the police as a political
  >> weapon, and extreme force to ensure that she got her way. The
  >> Metropolitian police has a unparallelled reputation for violence
  >> and thuggery, and they were used extensively during that period
  >> of our history for crushing dissent violently.

  Hyman> I don't know the events involved, so I can't say whether you
  Hyman> are correct or not.

        Clearly I am editorialising. Again I do not think that there
is any real doubt that even in democracies those in power are quite
willing to use armed force against dissent.

  Hyman> The good news is that unprovoked use of government violence
  Hyman> against peaceful protesters tends to spawn backlashes that
  Hyman> overturn the status quo. That certainly happened in the
  Hyman> States during the civil rights movement.

        Well this is absolutely the case. However for this sort of
thing to happen its got to be widely known that it is
happening. Although abuses of power go on all the time, its only the
really obvious one which result in backlashes. The obvious example
would be the "sus" laws (which allowed stop and search by the police
on suspicion of, well being black largely), which was one of the main
causes of the riots we have in several cities in the UK in the
80's. The government is now putting forward the idea of "on-the-spot
anti-hooligan fines". The sus laws plus a 100 quid fine, with no judge
and jury in other words. Fortunately the idea is so stupid that it
probably will not go through, but I suspect that riots would result if
I does.

        The problem is that people are injured, or die in riots. Its
particularly sad when a government backs its population into such a
corner that a riot is the only way out.

  >> It may be true that government by the noisiest is not a terribly
  >> good idea. As it happens I agree. But I also think that
  >> government by the richest is an equally bad idea, and by and
  >> large that is what we have at the moment.

  Hyman> I disagree that that is what we have.

        Well I have to accept that this is how you see things,
although I do find it hard to understand.

        Phil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 5 Jul 2000 17:08:07 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >I mean Linux not UNIX. I said Linux, did I not? I am evaluating
> Linux,
>> >not other UNIX's. I stand by what I say: "Linux lags behind Windows".
>>
>> You lack sufficient knowlegde to make this evaluation. Nor is it
>> reasonable to take your comparison out of the context of desktops, as
>> your statement does.
>
> I give up. I'm not getting anywhere in this.
>
> You are incorrect - I have sufficient knowledge to make this
> evalutation. End of story.

You forget pete, you have zero credibility.  Therefore any assessment
you make of your own knowledge on any subject having directly or
indirectly to do with the topic of this newsgroup is by defintion,
false.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:01:03 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:11:46 GMT,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <8jvhnt$2b3b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
>
>> Now if you concede that your case where you managed to hang kfm
>> wasn't 'Linux' failing, or that 'Most' apps don't crash under
>> Linux, we might be making progress...
>
>I never said 'most' apps crash or don't crash on Linux.
>
>As for Linux failing, I'm still waiting to see people stop using terms
>like WinDoze or LoseDos.

Why are you telling Leslie this? Has Leslie used these terms? Should
we be griping to you about terms like "Linsux" and LIE-nux"??

>Or to stop making statements like "Linux is 3
>times faster than Windows" without pointing out what they really meant
>to say was "Linux is three times faster than Windows for a specific set
>of tests".

You really are being a hyprocrite, Pete. Instead of saying "Linux lags
behind Windows" you should be saying "Based on my personal subjective
limited experience, the Mandrake 7.1 default desktop lags behind the
Windows 2000 Desktop."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:03:48 GMT

On 2 Jul 2000 21:12:04 -0500, Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 21:00:49 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>Tim Palmer wrote:

[deletia]
>>Really?
>>
>>What happens when LoseDOS suddenly has yet anoter epileptic seizure
>>and BSOD's, then, after it comes up, it lost the driver for your
>>printer, and you can't find the install disk?
>>
>>I'll tell you what... you're COMPLETELY up a creek.
>>
>>Conversely under Unix, you just edit the config file, and resume
>>as normal.
>
> ...and then recompial, fsck, downlode pathces, recompial again, edit kernal, edit
>/etc/profile, and rite shell script. Lot's

        None of that is likely to be on a part of the disk or on a file
        system likely to be changning at any particular moment.

        Whereas that train-wreck known as the registry is always likely to be
        changing and most end users will be actively dissuaded by Monopolysoft
        from using the version of WinDOS that would give them a reasonable
        level of recoverability.

[deletia]

        A home user might lose their (quite disposable) system log file
        if they're really unlucky...

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:01:31 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:15:00 GMT,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >I mean Linux not UNIX. I said Linux, did I not? I am evaluating
>Linux,
>> >not other UNIX's. I stand by what I say: "Linux lags behind Windows".
>>
>> You lack sufficient knowlegde to make this evaluation. Nor is it
>> reasonable to take your comparison out of the context of desktops, as
>> your statement does.
>
>I give up. I'm not getting anywhere in this.
>
>You are incorrect - I have sufficient knowledge to make this
>evalutation. End of story.

Based on your own posts you have made it clear you have considerable
experience with Windows desktops and have comparatively taken far less
time to familiarize yourself with desktops that run on Linux. If you
deny this now you are a downright liar.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:09:12 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 03:24:55 GMT, Roger <roger@.> wrote:
>On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:43:42 -0700, someone claiming to be Peter Ammon
>wrote:
>
>>An IRQ conflict occurs when the Windows demon-gods arbitrarily decide to
>>prevent your various pieces of hardware from working together until you
>>prove your devotion.  You can prove this by spending several hours in
>>the Device Manager changing obscure numbers and rebooting to see if it
>>works.  Watch out: the demon-gods will throw obstacles in your path.
>>Some pieces of hardware can't use certain IRQs.  Others require multiple
>>IRQs.  Some combinations of IRQs won't work.  Sometimes the IRQs have to
>>be in a certain order.  And if, in the end, your tortured sense of the
>>rational survives, then all the bounty of Windows shall be yours...until
>>you want to install something else.
>
>Which is the fault of Windows .. why, exactly?

        ...because it claims to be able to CONTROL such things.

        There are very few circumstances these days under which an
        IRQ conflict should occur. One of them is onery hardware.
        Some vendors just don't like to play nice. Alternately, the
        OS could just fall down. WinDOS liked to ignore the settings
        on my ISA cards and override their hard jumpered settings
        causing all sorts of grief.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:12:29 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:
> =

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cihl) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> =

> >Hey, Pete. Keep your shirt on, dude! We're working on it! (Uh, i mean
> >the KDE-team is working on it)
> =

> Faster! Faster!

Nine weeks, Pete. Nine weeks until release. Everything is ready, all
that is left is debugging and polishing.
 =

> >They didn't build Rome in one day either, you know. Have you seen KDE2=

> >yet? Really much cooler than the old KDE, and much more
> >userintuifriendlytive, too. It's exactly 9 weeks away until release.
> >Get some screenshots at the kde.org and kde.com sites, if you're not
> >just a Wintroll, that is. ;-)
> =

> Yeah I had a look. Looks groovy!
> =

> >I think 'lagging behind' is not the right thing to say here. It
> >suggests that Linux will never catch up to Windows, but i'd say that's=

> >not true at all, looking at the progress we've made in the past year.
> >Linux is *quickly* gaining on Windows, so i'd like to call it
> >'catching up to' instead.
> =

> Ok catching up then.
> =

> Pete

-- =

=A8I live!=A8
=A8I hunger!=A8
=A8Run, coward!=A8
               -- The Sinistar

------------------------------

From: "Alex DeLarge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Videos
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:28:26 +0100

Try 'Debbie does Debbie-ann' :)

Available from your local pornographer ;)

Seriously though, why a vid? Why not a book?

--
Alex DeLarge - Guven Linux at 0.03rc2

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# wishlist.pl

do {
    $fuck;
    sleep;
    not $eat_meat;
    study $others;
   ($be, $held,
    $be, $pure)
    and $love;
} until each %day_is_done;
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Alex DeLarge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pentum 4?
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:30:12 +0100

P4 is williamette. Not IA-64 (IIRC).

Intels site should have more details on their roadmap

--
Alex DeLarge - Guven Linux at 0.03rc2

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# wishlist.pl

do {
    $fuck;
    sleep;
    not $eat_meat;
    study $others;
   ($be, $held,
    $be, $pure)
    and $love;
} until each %day_is_done;
news:62E65.14967$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:14:06 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 03:35:19 GMT, Roger <roger@.> wrote:
>On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 23:28:04 -0700, someone claiming to be Peter Ammon
>wrote:
>>Roger wrote:

[deletia]

>>> Um, tell me, exactly where in the software known as Windows are IRQ's
>>> defined?
>>>
>>> hint:  it's a hardware thing, not a software thing...
>
>>When I experience my worst IRQ conflict, I eventually found a
>>configuration that worked.  But it was essentially trial and error.
>>Surely Windows could do that?
>
>Assuming Plug and Play hardware (that is to say, hardware designed
>specifically to allow Windows to reconfigure it,) Windows does.
>
>Or are you expecting Windows to be able to change jumpers for you, or
>have a version of * everyone else's * configuration util.

        Yup. Most hardware in a system is going to be flexible with
        respect to it's XT resources. IOW, an OS that chooses to take
        control of the hardware at that level should know well enough
        to work around hardwired IRQ's.

>Again:  a hardware thing, not a software thing.

        Hardware only adds some additional constraints. Unless you would
        like to claim that WinDOS is no more PnP than Linux 2.0.x, then
        it is indeed a Windows problem when IRQ conflicts occur.

        When the OS insists on overriding ISA hardware that's been explicitly
        put out of pnp mode and place that card on a well known and standard
        IRQ for standard hardware, that is indeed an OS failing.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Alex DeLarge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 486 Linux setup, 250 meg HD, which distro ???
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:14:59 +0100

Choose life, choose a distro, choose GPL/LGPL, Choose Corel, Choose being
hacked every 5 minutes your on the internet. Choose Slack, Choose sleepless
nights tearing your hair out, Choose Debian, Choose never being able to use
KDE, Choose a package format that always gets treated as second best to rpm.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else, I chose Guven Linux,
it's RPM compatible, but it fits in about 32 meg. In a few months, you can
choose Guven too, but in the meantime, you can mail me and join the beta
team.

Choose Guven.

<plug mode off>

--
Alex DeLarge - Guven Linux at 0.03rc2

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# wishlist.pl

do {
    $fuck;
    sleep;
    not $eat_meat;
    study $others;
   ($be, $held,
    $be, $pure)
    and $love;
} until each %day_is_done;
Karl E. Jorgensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>
> > C Sanjayan Rosenmund wrote:

Debian

> > > Debian (Potato) is available as a downloadable iso image (used to burn
> > > CDs) for testing.  Potato is *quite* stable and the CDs should work
> > > fine.  Otherwise, you can download the floppies (9 of them) and do a
> > > network install.  Why wait, upgrade to Debian *now*
> > >
> > > <grin>
> > > --
> > > Sanjay
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
> > >                             Press any key to reboot.
> >
> > I tend to wait for "official" releases of Debian.  It just seems easier
> > to wait for the official release than wait for a three day download.  (I
> > can't wait for my DSL connection, maybe then I'll change my mind.)  As
> > it is right now I can order a CD from LSL or Cheapbytes and have it
> > shipped faster than I can download the ISO of any distribution.
> >
> > Nathaniel Jay Lee
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I've got Debian Potato (using kernel 2.2.17) running on one of my ancient
> 66Mhz 486DXs. Runs without any problems whatsoerver. And it only has a
240Mb
> disk - and no cd-rom drive. I managed to get it installed over NFS -
turned
> out to be easy, once I stumbled on the right IO address for the network
card
> (no plug-and-pray here).
> In theory you should only need:
>
>    * Rescue Floppy
>    * Root image floppy
>    * 2 x driver floppy disk
>    * Network card (that you know the make/model/IO & IRQ of)
>    * NFS access to the cd (or 'bout 12 floppies) to get the base
>    * Internet access to retrieve any other packages you might want, e.g.
X,