  Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm  not ready.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm  not
ready.)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:31:47 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:18:33 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Make sure you have your monitor's timing specs on hand when you do this.

And be sure you have printed out 15 different How-To's, assuming of
course you can get your printer to work under Linsux...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: So where ARE all of these supposed Linux users?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:31:55 GMT

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:55:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:37:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 00:56:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>[deletia]
>>>
>>>It is growing big time in the server area and rightfully so, but on
>>>the desktop it is not growing at all..
>>>
>>>Sure people are trying it, but nobody is actually sticking with it
>>>unless you count geeks and programmers.
>>
>>      Actually it's geeks and programmers that make the product for the
>>      rest of you "real end users". Much like DOS, you might find that
>>      you have no choice in the matter, or at the very least that your
>>      rhetoric is not going to stop anything.
>
>And in the big picture of it all they account for virtually no market
>share at all.

        ...but they account for ALL OF THE PRODUCT.

[deletia]
--

        It only takes a little bit of bad luck to negate the whole benefit
        of "runs everything" for a particualar end user.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trying Linux yet again....
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:33:47 -0400

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2000 16:58:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
>
> >Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >When are you going to learn, jeff?
> >
> >You're too stupid for linux.  Give it up.
> >

> Thanks for proving Linux advocates (for the most part) are a bunch of
> rabid zealots.

Everyone else gets it to work.
You're the ONLY ONE complaining that you can't get it to work.
Why is that?

Maybe selection (I) below applies to you, eh?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:35:32 -0400

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 21:15:55 +0200, Jens Prüfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >I guess you are just trying to tell ppl how disappointed you are. No
> >real interest in getting things set up.
>
> deja.com/usenet is your friend
>
> Search for my name...
>
> You'll find a message in alt.os.mandrake

Ah yes, more laments about how the limitations caused by your
own STUPDITY.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:14:09 GMT

Actually I burn copies and give them away all the time. I've given
some to the local library as well as the local high school. I get all
of my blanks for free, or almost free, so it's just a time thing.

I have yet to hear of one single person who has stuck with Linux,
although many have tried it.

Linux speaks for itself....

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! !
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:38:41 -0400

leg log wrote:

> It was my post. I started my professional practice about ten years ago. I've
> had some success. I'm a wealthy man. Ten years later, about twenty computers
> later, I've had it!! I drive my cars, I talk on my telephones, I watch my 10
> or twelve TVs, record each TVs with a VCR( each of them), I use my 6 or 7
> computers. I have Maytags topline washer and dryer. Sleek, jet black frig.
> and freezer from Sears(Sears man comes installs, etc. just works ..) All of
> this works different than Linux!! Everything else works for me. Linux makes
> me work. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, poor baby.

*SMACK*

Now shut up and go back to bed!

[freaking idiot]

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Subject: Re: Apache Up, MS Down
From: pac4854 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 19:36:20 -0700

And this isn't a burp in the data, either.  Look at the long term
growth for Apache on Netcraft and you'll see a slow but steady
trend upward.  On the other hand, MSFT seems to have peaked some
time ago, and is settling back to reality.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: 5 Jul 2000 21:31:56 -0500

In article <8k0ggf$mc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Mandrake 7.x (not 7.1).
>>
>> Load Audio CD.
>> Play audio CD.
>> Try to eject Audio CD.
>> Will not eject most times even with button on drive.
>> IF it decides it WILL eject, CD drive no longer works.
>>

>You need to unmount it first, brainiac.  Some 'filemanager' type
>things (kde) attempt to do this for you, as well as some cd playing
>software.

Yeah this just sounds like two different things fighting over
the device.  My kid gets the same thing on a win98 box when
trying to use MusicMaster to access a CD and the soundblaster
player pops up and trys to play it too, then they both
crash.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 5 Jul 2000 21:39:11 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Roger  <roger@.> wrote:

>>So why doesn't Linux have IRQ problems?
>
>Tell us all Max:  How exactly would Linux handle a box with two comm
>ports and an ISA modem jumpered to IRQ3?
>
>What's that?  You don't know?  Because you don't run Linux?

In my case Linux works fine as long as the motherboard port is
disabled in the bios - and so does win95 with a non pnp modem.
However, with a particular ISA PNP modem, win95 kept moving
it to IRQ15 killing my 2nd ide controller.  I could never
find a way to control that under windows.  The modem would
also work OK if I booted to dos instead of windows.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux lags behind Windows
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:39:06 GMT

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:23:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:48:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:15:11 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>>My hardware worked under Win98 and 2k without any checking at all. I
>>
>>      So? You are not the last word in NT5 support. Just because
>>      you managed to be lucky it doesn't mean that others will.
>>
>>      Your arrogance is imply astounding.
>
>What arrogance? My hardware worked fine under 3 completely different

        The arrogance that you imply that somehow if you had no support
        problems then noone else would.

>platforms, iMace, Win98se and Win2k, without even checking.

        OTOH, other people outside your own little personal universe
        have NOT INFACT been so lucky.

>Linux was dead at the starting gate as usual.

        So would be NT or the iMac depending on the hardware.
        It's all a matter of luck.

>And you expect people to switch to Linsux?

        Certainly. It supports other printers and other scanners.
        Fortunately, CompUSA sells more than just one of each of
        those.

>Talk about arrogance..

        Nope. I'm not the sort that presumes all consumers should
        use my option and I actually recommend alternatives. That's
        a bit more than just a alleged token 3rd party system.

>I can hear it now:
>
>"Oh sure you can have the privilage of running Linsux and all of it's
>antique looking applications if you dump all of your hardware an buy
>new stuff"

        You just can't stop lying can you. Quite a few Linux applications
        (most of them actually) don't look antique at all.

        This is just more FUD for pinochio.

>Yea right....
>
>>>simply bought it. The iMac support was a bonus since I just bought
>>>that machine last week. great machine BTW. Blows Windows away....
>>>
>>>Amiga is dead just like OS/2 and soon to be Linux....At least in the
>>
>>      Actually, new game titles are in development for the Amiga.
>
>Oh yea?
>
>I didn't know Tetris was going to be released. It's only 15 years too
>late.

        How soon will it be before you are hurling such intentionally
        dissuasive comments in the direction of Macintoshes as well?

>>      Although it doesn't matter. As long as you can hook up devices
>>      and get good use out of them, such pronouncements are meaningless
>>      FUD.
>
>But that's exactly the point. Under Windows you CAN. Under Mac you
>CAN. Under Linux?

        Sure. Just like NT or Mac, it depends on the device.

[deletia]

>>      OTOH, Linux will allow you to exploit modern printers, contemporary
>>      3D hardware accelerators, consumer grade video overlay boards, pro
>>      grade video capture boards, network and scsi cards of various kinds,
>>      SCSI and USB peripherals and even the odd DVD decoder or two.

        I am quite confident that just about anything you have running
        under WinDOS or your mythical Mac I have running better under
        Linux (or could if I wanted to).

        Pedestrian users typically have pedestrian hardware to match.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:40:26 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 21:25:37 -0500, John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>> >You want Liberty for buyers on the slave labor of add on developers.
>>
>>         You have the trappings of being a capitalist yet you expect
>>         to be able to use other's work for free. That is simply
>>         absurd.
>>
>Actually, a gift is a gift.  I don't argue against using the

        Here would be a classic case of oversimplification.

        This might fly in a preschool but not here.

[deletia]

        It is time for you to move on charlatain.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:43:14 -0400

leg log wrote:

> I made the list of other real world things not because I'm spoiled, but to
> make a point. The point is about what I think should be the point of a
> computer operating system. That is individual productivity, not individual
> computer operability. My black fridge works. I can take care of food, the

A modern home computer is the equivalent complexity of hooking up every
single refrigeration system in the entire US into one monolithic
system, and you expect it to be operated at the same level of
simplicity???

How many cars run perfectly?  They are FAR simpler pieces of equipment--
AND the manufacturer has full specification for every single part in
it when it comes off the line.

And yet, a certain (fortunately dwindling) number of "lemons" gets
produced every year.

> promise of the fridge company. Car gets me there, telephone dial tone always
> on.

You have no idea how much work goes into keeping your telephone
dial tone on 24x365.

>  I don't have to do anything else to get the benefit of those
> technologies. To benefit from Linux being multiuser, multitasking,
> networkable, etc. I have to get involved in things that have nothing to do
> with my being productive. That is where I believe that linux has got to do
> better. Again, I have an interest in coputers, I like to tinker, so I'll
> keep Mandrake Linux7.1.
>
>  Don
> "Ciaran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "leg log" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >It was my post. I started my professional practice about ten
> > years ago. I've
> > >had some success. I'm a wealthy man. Ten years later, about
> > twenty computers
> > >later, I've had it!! I drive my cars, I talk on my telephones,
> > I watch my 10
> > >or twelve TVs, record each TVs with a VCR( each of them), I use
> > my 6 or 7
> > >computers. I have Maytags topline washer and dryer. Sleek, jet
> > black frig.
> > >and freezer from Sears(Sears man comes installs, etc. just
> > works ..) All of
> > >this works different than Linux!! Everything else works for me.
> > Linux makes
> > >me work. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > >

> > You have a sleek, jet black fidge ? Why ?
> >
> > How is a person supposed to take you serious when you say
> > something freaky like that ? You sound like a spoiled, tedious
> > twit with more possesions than brain cells.
> >
> > Go and buy a wany sports car and continue with your mid life
> > crisis.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ciaran

> > Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> > Up to 100 minutes free!
> > http://www.keen.com

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:41:57 GMT

Yea and every violinist has written a concerto......

The problem with you LinoScrews is that you have yet to realize that
money drives everything.

You can fantasize all about Open Sores all you want but until some
crafty company see's a way of making money off of it, driver support
for Linsux will always be lacking. And shit flows downhill so that
translates into no Linsux users.

It's really very simple.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:45:10 GMT

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:01:16 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:48:41 GMT, Roger <roger@.> wrote:

>[deletia]
>>
>>>     Yup. Most hardware in a system is going to be flexible with
>>>     respect to it's XT resources. IOW, an OS that chooses to take
>>>     control of the hardware at that level should know well enough
>>>     to work around hardwired IRQ's.
>>
>>And how, exactly, does Linux change the jumper settings on an ISA
>>card?  Source code will do...
>
>       Linux doesn't. But it will happily use whatever resources you
>       tell it to. All the other hardware in your system is going to
>       be taken care of by PCI.

Yea sure assuming you can figure out what config file to d=edit.
>       It merely won't second guess the hardware, or the user.

Of course not.

It just sits there and does nothing.

>>>     Hardware only adds some additional constraints.
>>
>>... that software is incapable of making changes to.
>
>       It doesn't need to. You are lying to imply otherwise.
>       IRQ's aren't THAT scarce in a contemporary kludge klone.

Yawn....

An IRQ is an IRQ. If you don't have enough you are screwed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:46:39 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:38:41 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>leg log wrote:
>>
>> It was my post. I started my professional practice about ten years ago. I've
>> had some success. I'm a wealthy man. Ten years later, about twenty computers
>> later, I've had it!! I drive my cars, I talk on my telephones, I watch my 10
>> or twelve TVs, record each TVs with a VCR( each of them), I use my 6 or 7
>> computers. I have Maytags topline washer and dryer. Sleek, jet black frig.
>> and freezer from Sears(Sears man comes installs, etc. just works ..) All of
>> this works different than Linux!! Everything else works for me. Linux makes
>> me work. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're one step ahead of me.

Linux makes me want to vomit....

Real piece of trash Linsux is....

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:48:27 -0400

leg log wrote:

> I made the list of other real world things not because I'm spoiled, but to
> make a point. The point is about what I think should be the point of a
> computer operating system. That is individual productivity, not individual
> computer operability. My black fridge works. I can take care of food, the
> promise of the fridge company. Car gets me there, telephone dial tone always
> on. I don't have to do anything else to get the benefit of those
> technologies. To benefit from Linux being multiuser, multitasking,
> networkable, etc. I have to get involved in things that have nothing to do
> with my being productive. That is where I believe that linux has got to do
> better. Again, I have an interest in coputers, I like to tinker, so I'll
> keep Mandrake Linux7.1.

The typical home computer is far more sophisticated than ANY radar
system that the military had in the 1980's.

If you were in the military, would you expect to be a proficient
combination radar operator AND technician without any training?

of course not.

every time a radar operator switches from one kind of system to another,
he is put through a training course which lasts for MONTHS!

And yet, you expect to switch from one OS to another without so
much as 5 minutes of training.

In short, your expectations are not merely unrealistic...they are
LUDICROUS!

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Darin Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:52:27 GMT

Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> But what money buys has also changed. That is, cars, TVs, appliances,
> and so forth have gotten much better, so the same salary gets you much
> more value.

Except in housing.  In many areas of the country at least.  Mainly
because there are more dual-income buyers I think.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:55:49 GMT

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:31:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:18:33 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>

>>Make sure you have your monitor's timing specs on hand when you do this.
>
>And be sure you have printed out 15 different How-To's, assuming of
>course you can get your printer to work under Linsux...

        ...nope just two relevant numbers, two numbers you should be
        aware of because they tell you what that hardware you wasted
        good money is capable of.

[deletia]