From: John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:44:55 -0500

Sam Holden wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:08:20 -0500, John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <major snippage>
> >
> >This is opinion:  when a license requires the redistribution of a
> >persons
> >primary work product (livelyhood), then the license is certainly not
> >free.
> >When a license requires attribution, then that doesn't keep it from
> >being
> >free.  If the attribution causes alot of expense, then the license isn't
> >free :-).
>
> So the GPL fulfills is goals well enough then.

I haven't been arguing about justifying the GPL.  You might
or might not like the GPL.

> It provides free software from the perspective of the end-user.

Free for one should be free for all.  If not, then the term needs to
be qualified.  Other software has no such constraints.  For example,
as an end-effect, the BSDL is freer than the GPL (I mean in things
that you have to do to give binaries away, BSDL doesn't make you
do things that the GPL makes you do.  BSDL doesn't make you do
anything (except attribution) that the GPL doesn't make you do.  The
cost of simple attribution at the level that BSDL requires is probably
1/4 linear inch of DAT tape :-).)

It is wrong and unfair to those who distribute under BSDL by
diluting the notion of 'free' software.  It is wrong, anti
competitive and deceitful to imply the equivalence.

< DELETED >

> This situation is free enough for me to call it free.

The purposes for words is to communicate.  If one is using
terms to purposely mislead (which if you call the GPL free, it
is clear that one is misleading enough people so as to make
it wrong.)  It does feel good to call ones own software 'free',
however, it is wrong (and a lie) when it is purposely misused.

Intention and good-vibes don't make it 'right' to lie.

> You obviously disagree, which is fine.

It is important to disagree, when a wrong is being perpetrated.

> To the end user though, the GPL is free software license.

Please define 'end user.' :-)  Since an attribute of GPLed code is
source code, the end user is both the user of the entire piece
of software AND those who use it as source code.  Source code
opens up other classes of users.

If you didn't have to redistribute source code, then the end user
is most likely only those who 'just use' the code.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: A cute linux song
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:46:55 GMT

Only in this FUCKING group do people make a big FUCKING deal out of
one FUCKING word.

I was trying to be FUCKING nice but the semantic spelling police have
FUCKING come out of the FUCKING woodwork...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 18:43:28 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LIE-nux is SUPPOST to destroy data (was: Re: This is a Troll, do

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> It was the 3 Jul 2000 20:08:06 -0500...
> ...and Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >Then why does it have so many problems?
> >
> > Because there is so much to it - and you are doing odd things with
> > it.  You'd spend many thousands of dollars putting together the
> > equivalent functionality on commercial systems and since it would
> > come in dozens of different packages you would expect to spend some
> > time configuring each package correctly and making it all work
> > together on your particular machine.   Since it's free and all
> > together on a couple of CD's, you seem to think it should be simple
> > as a result, but there is no reason it should be simpler than
> > all those individual packages.
>
> Indeed, multi-CD Linux distributions such as SuSE Linux 6.4, which
> ships on five CDs IIRC, might be the most complex end-user software
> products that ever shipped -- where "end-user" means that it's
> supposed to work without a Somehow Certified Engineer working on it
> for a week or two to get it all set up.

        That be 6 CDs for Suse 6.4.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:47:59 GMT

Forget to take your medication today?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:49:08 GMT

You need to get out more often....

The heat from the monitor is getting to you

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:50:00 GMT

Well at least there is SOMETHING in your head now....

It's a start anyway...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:50:43 GMT

Fair enough.

All's cool :)

simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:55:01 GMT

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 20:35:34 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (sandrews) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>     Oh Please if that ain`t the kettle calling the pot black.
>>     Ever hear of the mindcraft test or the TPC tests add nausium ?
>
>Yes I read the results of those tests and the second set of tests done
>afterwards allowing the Linux guys to retune their system. Windows still
>beat Linux in those tests.

This is true. And special mention was made of the "my shit don't
stink" attitude of some of the Linux guys.

>I've seen the results posted by PC World (I forget the exact name) where NT
>held up better than Linux.

Don't remember that one. I don't usually read PCWorld though.

>I've seen results posted by Spec where the machines weren't exactly the
>same (whoops!) and Linux runs faster than Windows.

I thought both machines were Dell's and they were the same?
I could be wrong though.

>And you want to know what I believe? If Linux was faster than Windows, I'd
>see that in simple results. I don't, therefore it's not.

I prefer a combination of ease of use/speed and applications with
applications first and speed last.

Linux has none of those so it lags Windows in my opinion. For my
applications....

------------------------------

From: Christopher Barry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 23:01:49 GMT

Pete,
        Are you lonely? Would like a friend to help you feel less inadequate? I=
t=20
seems you remain here long after you welcome has expired primarily=20
because you obviously have nowhere else to go. It's OK Pete. We=20
understand. Shhhh...Shhhh.... It'll be OK, buddy. Sometimes things are=20
hard to grasp at first, but if you really try, I'll bet even you can=20
figure it out ok. It doesnt have to operable by a moron to be superior, =

and this is what's got you stumped. It's alright petey, just calm down..=
.=20
Say, isn't it time for your nap?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam Holden)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 6 Jul 2000 23:02:09 GMT

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:44:55 -0500, John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sam Holden wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:08:20 -0500, John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> <major snippage>
>> >
>> >This is opinion:  when a license requires the redistribution of a
>> >persons
>> >primary work product (livelyhood), then the license is certainly not
>> >free.
>> >When a license requires attribution, then that doesn't keep it from
>> >being
>> >free.  If the attribution causes alot of expense, then the license isn't
>> >free :-).
>>
>> So the GPL fulfills is goals well enough then.
>>
>I haven't been arguing about justifying the GPL.  You might
>or might not like the GPL.
>

>> It provides free software from the perspective of the end-user.
>>
>Free for one should be free for all.  If not, then the term needs to
>be qualified.  Other software has no such constraints.  For example,
>as an end-effect, the BSDL is freer than the GPL (I mean in things
>that you have to do to give binaries away, BSDL doesn't make you
>do things that the GPL makes you do.  BSDL doesn't make you do
>anything (except attribution) that the GPL doesn't make you do.  The
>cost of simple attribution at the level that BSDL requires is probably
>1/4 linear inch of DAT tape :-).)
>
>It is wrong and unfair to those who distribute under BSDL by
>diluting the notion of 'free' software.  It is wrong, anti
>competitive and deceitful to imply the equivalence.
>
>< DELETED >
>

>> This situation is free enough for me to call it free.
>>
>The purposes for words is to communicate.  If one is using
>terms to purposely mislead (which if you call the GPL free, it
>is clear that one is misleading enough people so as to make
>it wrong.)  It does feel good to call ones own software 'free',
>however, it is wrong (and a lie) when it is purposely misused.
>
>Intention and good-vibes don't make it 'right' to lie.

The GPL is free from the perspective of the end user. That is what matters.
That is the meaning of free software. The end user is free to tinker with
their software and to give it to others (but must give those others those
same freedoms, which requires them to be given the source as well).

>> You obviously disagree, which is fine.
>>
>It is important to disagree, when a wrong is being perpetrated.
>

>> To the end user though, the GPL is free software license.
>>
>Please define 'end user.' :-)  Since an attribute of GPLed code is
>source code, the end user is both the user of the entire piece
>of software AND those who use it as source code.  Source code
>opens up other classes of users.

End user is the one who uses piece of software. I don't include people
who take the code and use it in their own software. All those people who
write letters in Word are end users of Word. All those people who embed
Word in their own application are not (though they may be in another context
when they are writing a letter of course).

The GPL is all about those end users. Software developers and distributors
have restrictions placed on them, so that end user freedom will remain. Of
course end users may put on a distributor or developer hat now and then
in which case the restrictions kick in, but only for that activity.

>If you didn't have to redistribute source code, then the end user
>is most likely only those who 'just use' the code.

Redistributing the source code allows the recipient to have all the freedoms
that go with having it - being able to modify the product for example. The
person doing the distributing is given a restrictions (must also distribute
the source) so that the recipient will not have their freedom reduced.

--
Sam

Of course, in Perl culture, almost nothing is prohibited. My feeling is
that the rest of the world already has plenty of perfectly good
prohibitions, so why invent more?  --Larry Wall