From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is this odd security behaviour by MS?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:59:48 +1300

Hi all,

I have just received another security bulletin from MS:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-013.asp

Quite simply there's a buffer overrun in event viewer. So what you say,
buffer overruns are found all the time.

This is what caught my eye:

"Patches for Windows 2000 Datacenter Server are hardware-specific and
available from the original equipment manufacturer."

Now I would be very surprised if event viewer contained hardware specific
code. Does Microsoft have a policy of not providing security patches for
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server, instead leaving it up to OEMs?

Now we know Microsoft leaves first tier support up to OEMs, but making
them responsible for providing or distributing security patches as well
worries me. I consider the buck stops squarely at Microsoft's doorstep in
relation to security vulnerabilities in their code.

I'm sure Erik will be able to clear up any misunderstanding :-)

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time for a Windows reinstall!
Date: 26 Feb 2001 15:33:22 -0700

"Joel Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If I understand you correctly, you are saying that  a third party software
> pkg called Nero screwed up and filled up your HDD. Now your pc runs slow and
> you blame MS for this. How is MS to blame for this ?

You do know that on UNIX a 100% full hard drive does not really mean
100%, don't you?  I've filled up numerous hard drives on UNIX writing
files a lot bigger than 750MB (the size of the image file that Nero
created). I've never had a problem with the system upon deleting the
offending file.  Why does Windows suffer from this problem?  I've
never heard of an OS that will fall apart when the hard drive is
filled up.  If an OS can be rendered almost useless because a single
app filled the hard drive, that OS is a POS.

Not that there weren't other problems before the above issue.  Windows
was beginning to run like sludge before this.  This latest problem
simply finished the job.

--
Aaron J. Ginn                    Phone: 480-814-4463
Motorola SemiCustom Solutions    Pager: 877-586-2318

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who writes open source software?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:23:25 -0300

news.earthlink.net wrote:

> I can see that the addition of smaller open source features and utilities
> can be done in one's spare time. But I can't imagine anything major being
> done without a dedicated full-time effort.

Well, it speaks badly of your imagination if you can't imagine something
for which there are many many examples!

For instance: Linus didn't take a fulltime job until around kernel 2.0. And
even then, that fulltime job was not "coordinating the Linux kernel".

Matthias Ettrich started KDE (his SECOND major free software project) and
didn't have a fulltime related job until way after KDE 1.1.2.

> But if that effort is provided,
> then how is one supported financially? Perhaps subsidized mostly by
> universities?

Most people I know who code while studying PAY their college, not the other
way around.

Coding is a cheap activity. All you need is time and a computer.

It's not like we are talking vintage cars here :-)

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: M$ doing it again!
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:07:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 02:52:56 -0600
<6Hom6.84$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>> > Those API's are not intended to be used outside of the kernel.  I can
>> > reverse engineer the windows kernel too, doesn't make it any more
>> > "published".
>>
>> I have a real problem with what you write sometimes. While we often have
>> differences of opinions, you usually seem fairly reasonable, then there
>are
>> times when you will create a paragraph as above. You can't possibly
>believe it,
>> do you? You must say these outlandish things just to be an idiot.
>>
>> How can you say that open, "published," source code can in anyway be
>> undocumented. In the linux kernel there is nothing that is undocumented,
>one
>> can see every single API and what it does. Just because someone didn't
>dump the
>> comments to a separate text file, does not mean it is undocumented.
>
>A "published" API is one which intended for external use.

External to somebody, anyway.  Presumably, internal S/W development
groups would have to publish their APIs in order to communicate with
other internal S/W development groups within Microsoft -- or any
sufficiently large corporation.

These publications would most likely be internal to the company,
published in their internal documentation management system (nowadays,
that's probably an internal website).  However, suppose one of them
were leaked?  (Just to make life interesting, mind you.)

Or, one can attempt to reverse-engineer the system sufficient to
document the undocumented API's.  I've done it (on Apollo Aegis),
but it's not easy if the system wasn't designed to be open.

(Aegis had the interesting property of requiring a symbol table
in every executable, and furthermore the executable was the same
format as an object files; it wasn't hard to copy the executable,
change the name of the routine one wanted to hack, then link with
a "supporting" module to dump out the arguments.  It's not clear how
easy this would be under a modern Unix, Linux, or Windows.)

>There are plenty
>of functions in the linux kernel which are not intended to be used outside
>of the kernel itself.  Those are unpublished,

Not exactly.  The kernel source code is in itself a publication, I
would think.  (It is certainly readable by both compiler and user.)

>and undocumented since they
>are not listed in man pages (unlike the functions which are intended to be
>used externally, which do exist in the man pages).

Has man page(s) != documented.  Documentation can be anything from
internal comments (or the source code itself, if it's clean enough)
to a full-fledged book published by, say, Addison-Wesley,
Random House, Doubleday, or even Microsoft Press (?).

                    The EAC doesn't exist, but they're still watching you.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:20:26 -0300

suppose wrote:

> Just curious. I'm in the commercial software development business and
> wonder who writes open source? Is it students? Professors? Hobbyists? Who
> is supporting their efforts? How do they find the time? How do the pay the
> rent?

I wrote free software as a student, as a professor, as a hobbyist, and as a
consultant.

Time? well, if the average american stopped watching TV, he has about 4
hours a day to code. On 20 hours a week, with good tools, you can write a
medium-to-large app in a year or so.

How did I pay the rent? With money, of course. Then I bought my own place.

> I'm not trying to be a wise ass or anything - this is a serious question
> on my part.

This is probably a very bad place to ask. The developer density approaches
0.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Maximum Linux Magazine Is Going Out Of Business Ha Ha Ha
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:18:16 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mart van de Wege
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:41:43 +0100
<3a96e806$0$1762@reader5>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Matthew Gardiner"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> There will always be obscure/fridge distro's of Linux,
>
> Wow!  those must be really cool!
>
>:-)

Will they come with compressors?

Will those compressors require bits or HFC134?  :-)

(Yes, I know that's a very obscure pun....)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- and then there's William Perry
                    I was asleep at the switch the rest of the time.

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:25:09 +1300

> 1. CPUs get faster while staying at the same price. I believe I saw you
> concede that point. If you didn't, I apologize, I am too tired to reread
> the whole thread.
> 2. You get more memory at the same price, thus increasing performance
> (more memory, less swapping).
> 3. OSs don't increase in performance, although they now run on faster
> hardware.
> Therefore the relative performance of OSs goes down.

I can't seem to follow this logic...

If I have an OS that uses up, for example, 10% of my CPU time to do its
maintenance and scheduling and whatever, and then I upgrade to a
faster machine and I get an OS that only uses 5% of my CPU time...  The
OS hasn't CHANGED, it hasn't IMPROVED, but how in the hell has it lost
any performance, and relative to what?

If the OS's got SLOWER as the CPUs got FASTER we would have OS's that
remained at the same level of relative performance, as long as we're
talking about relative to the speed of the PC.

Can you help me out with whatever I'm missing here?

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:25:14 -0500

Jon Johanson wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <3a97347b$0$2432$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jan Johanson wrote:
> > >
> > >"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > ><snip good stuff>

> > >given that hotmail isn't a decade old we find our very first problem with
> > >this lie.
> >

> > It might not be exactly 10 years old.  It's pretty close.
>
> Not quite.

Even if Hotmail were less than a year old...the fact remains that
Mafia$oft has failed on TWO attempts to migrate it from Unix to
their shoddy products.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:33:56 -0500

Mark McIntyre wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:26:36 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lawrence
> Kirby) wrote:

> >>It would be easier to use M_PIl as #defined in math.h
> >
> >Any compiler that defines that or anything similar in a standard header
> >is in direct violation of the C standard.
>
> I'm not sure that this is strictly true - don't you mean "any compiler
> that defines this in the standard header, when compiled in strict ansi

Compilers do not determine the contents of the standard headers.
(Although standard header files are often shipped *with* compilers,
they are two COMPLETELY seperate works.)

> mode, is violating the standard, What the compiler defines in
> ansi-with-extensions mode is its own business".
>
> --
> CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:34:20 GMT

"." wrote:

> I can't seem to follow this logic...
>
> If I have an OS that uses up, for example, 10% of my CPU time to do its
> maintenance and scheduling and whatever, and then I upgrade to a
> faster machine and I get an OS that only uses 5% of my CPU time...  The
> OS hasn't CHANGED, it hasn't IMPROVED, but how in the hell has it lost
> any performance, and relative to what?
>
> If the OS's got SLOWER as the CPUs got FASTER we would have OS's that
> remained at the same level of relative performance, as long as we're
> talking about relative to the speed of the PC.
>
> Can you help me out with whatever I'm missing here?

You need to run Win 3.1, then 95, then 98, then NT, then 2000
on the same hardware, and watch the performance go down.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:41:09 -0500

Jon Johanson wrote:

> > > Check this one:
> > >       Tester  System Name  Result  HTTP Version  CPU #
> > >
> > >       Dell  PowerEdge 8450/700  7300  IIS 5.0 and SWC 3.0  8
> > >
> > > http://www.spec.org/osg/web99/results/res2000q4/web99-20001211-00082.asc
> >
> > Exactly - microsoft's "bet the farm", "benchmark buster"
> > configuration with the special web cache in front of iis
> > is badly outperformed by AIX, and can't even match the
> > performance of the free Red Hat Linux system.
>
> Special cache? You mean some software anyone can buy and run outta the box?

If it's not part of the base OS, nor part of the web server, then yes,
it is a "special cache"....because it's YET ANOTHER GODDAMNED THING YOU
HAVE TO SPEND ADDITIONAL $$$$$$$$$$$ ON TO GET THE DAMN THING TO WORK.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:41:52 GMT

Jon Johanson wrote:

> To ignore the performance of an OS underlying a database indicates your
> complete lack of how software works as well as your ignorance of the real
> world interaction between hardware/software/users.

Idiotic.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:32:52 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:55:38 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The lose of your rights comes one at a time, baby.  Pull your head
>out, and just say NO to those who want to take away your freedoms.  It
>doesn't matter if your a gun-owner or a communist or a flaming fairy.
>Tell the government to leave intact your rights as a free American.

Well put--it immediately reminded me of this..

Berlin, 1939:

First they came for the Jews,
But I did not speak out,
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists,
And I did not speak out,
Because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade-unionists,
And I did not speak out,
Because I was not a trade-unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
And I did not speak out,
Because I was not a Catholic.

Then they came for me,
And there was no one left to speak out for me.

- Pastor Niemller (Anti-Nazi Resistance Movement)

Scott Gardner
LT     US Navy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:39:46 GMT

>>> would stop that govt. shelling the house of someone with a personal
>>> arsenal?
>>
>> A concerted response from the entire neighborhood firing upon the gun
>> crew.
>
>How many civs do you know own enough weaponary to stop a mobile gun
>shelling you from 60 miles away?

Again, you're showing your mindset.  If the armed forces of a
government turned against the citizenry, the "mobile gun unit shelling
you from 60 miles away" would be right in SOMEONE'S backyard, and if
the armed forces have declared war on the citizens, that someone would
likely be sympathetic to your cause.  In my country at least, there
are almost 300 million people, and only a few million in the armed
services.  Considering that so much of our infrastructure is supported
by civilians, and the country is so huge, I can speak intelligently as
an officer in the United States military and tell you that if we were
to try such foolishness, we would be righteously fucked...

Scott Gardner
LT     US Navy

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:43:24 -0500

Jon Johanson wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 24 Feb 2001 00:35:46
> >
> >    [...]
> >
> > Amazing how much you can dominate an industry if you monopolize it for
> > more than ten years from the very start, eh?
>
> Amazing how you ignore the monopolies IBM help, and Sun held. Until their

Sun has a monopoly?  If so, name it.  BE SPECIFIC.

Also, did Sun ever use this alleged monopoly for the purpose of
illegally leveraging another product?

a)yes
B)NO

No more questions, your honor!

> monopolies were overrun the the form of monopoly MS has... and still you act
> as if MS is the only one doing anything like this???

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig (was: Something Seemingly Simple.)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:37:45 -0500

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> > > You must be /realy/ proud.
> >
> > Are you trying to imply that defending your country is somehow
> > an ignoble thing to do?
>
> No, he's trying to imply that being a complete bozo is an ignoble thing
> to do. Learn to read for comprehension.

Complete bozos are not given security clearances nor allowed to even
seeh, let alone use military code books.

> --
> Richard Heathfield
> "Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
> C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
> K&R Answers: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/index.html

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.