From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tinman digest, volume 2451750 (Davie Tholen)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:57:42 GMT

Jeff Glatt writes:

>>> The ones who have looked carefully at all of Marty's responses think
>>> that you're a clueless loser.

>> Typical unsubstantiated claim laced with invective,

> Nonsense.

That's exactly what you wrote, Glatt.

> They've already weighed in here at this newsgroup and told
> you that you're a clueless loser.

Prove that the ones who have looked carefully at all of Marty's

> Would you like to see my collection of comments about you from
> these people?

On what basis do you claim that they have looked carefully at all of
Marty's responses, Glatt?

>> and completely irrelevant to the question of yours that I answered.

> The comments are from these people to whom I refer.

On what basis do you claim that they have looked carefully at all of
Marty's responses, Glatt?

>>> My collection of numerous, negative opinions of you, from a wide
>>> demographic of readers of your posts,

>> On what basis do you claim it to be a "wide demographic", Glatt?

> It transcends the alleged "dichotomy along operating system usage
> lines" that you claim restricts the demographic of people who regard
> you as a clueless loser.

Where did I allegedly make such a claim, Glatt?

>> It could easily be just a handful of people.

> It isn't.

Prove it, Glatt, if you think you can.

> It's quite a collection of quotes.

It's quite a collection of insults, the kind that you're very good at
making, Glatt.  One can only wonder how many you authored.

> The UofH found it quite interesting to see just how many people
> felt that way about you,

Incorrect, given that the UofH said nothing to me, despite the alleged
"interest".  Perhaps it knows how easy it is for a few people to
send messages under a variety of email addresses.

> over such an extended period of time while you were posting those
> messages from the UofH system.

Meanwhile, the reasons for why those people made those insults
remained completely absent.  Only effect was shown, not cause.
But of course.  To do so would have demonstrated that the effect
was not justified.  By saying nothing, you hoped to plant the seeds
of uncertainty, and hoped that someone would fall for it.  But given
that the UofH hasn't said anything to me about it, one can only
conclude that they didn't fall for it.  Too bad for you, Glatt.

>> Ask Stuyck about his investigation involving Mai Fong, for example.

> Does Mai Fong also think that you're a clueless loser?

I see that you completely missed the point.  No surprise there.

>> Of course, I have a collection of numerous, negative opinions of you.

> I have no doubt that it pales in comparison to my collection of quotes
> about you,

Wrong again, Glatt.

> and that my collection represents a much wider demographic,

Of email addresses?  Like Mai Fong's?

> for example, not almost exclusively OS/2 users.

Of course not, Glatt.  Why should those who like to spew invective
toward me be exclusively OS/2 users?  Classic illogic.

>>> clearly show that the readers of your posts regard you as a clueless
>>> loser.

>> Typical unsubstantiated claim laced with invective.

> Not at all. Would you like to see the collection?

I've already seen your collection, Glatt.  You've posted it here on
multiple occasions.

>>> Would you like me to repost this archive for your edification?

>> What I like is irrelevant, Glatt.

> Everything about you is irrelevant.

Yet another classic Glatt idiotic statement.

> But nevertheless, that still doesn't answer the question whether
> you'd like me to repost this archive for your edification.

Having more reading comprehension problems, Glatt?  I answered your
question the last time.

>> History shows that you do whatever you want to do, regardless of
>> what anyone else likes.

> Irrelevant.

On the contrary, your historical pattern is quite relevant, Glatt.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Yeah!  Bring down da' man!
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:57:12 GMT

On 25 Jul 2000 22:06:04 GMT, John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>: John Jensen wrote:
>
>: > There are some deeper issues here than depending on network communications
>: > to run a word processor.  The primary goal of component technology is the
>: > independant deployment and assembly of software units.  Anyone who has
>: > tried to upgrade their Gnome libraries should appreciate that goal.
>: > Anyone who has followed their 'rpm' dependancies down four levels should
>: > appreciate that goal.  It would be sad if the problem became off-limits
>: > simply because Microsoft happened also to be working on it.
>
>: I would prefer the status quo over ANY Microsoft pollution.
>
>: The reason: Microsoft is not to be trusted in any respect.
>:      Especially giving them the power to turn off access
>:      to applications.
>

>You think you are fighting Microsoft, but in doing that you give them
>credit for component-oriented software engineering!  Do you think they
>invented or somehow own the subject?
>
>It sounds as if you would rather surrender the whole field of research,
>rather than consider that Microsoft might be on to a good area of inquiry.

        The potential for being even more at the mercy of the likes
        of Microsoft is a very compelling reason to try and avoid
        a particular sort of technology.

        Usually there are far wider implications to any technology
        than merely "gee, isn't this nifty".

--
        Unless you've got the engineering process to match a DEC,
        you won't produce a VMS.

        You'll just end up with the likes of NT.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:07:26 -0500

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:21:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>>>Chicken and Egg; there is "no demand" (actually there is demand,
>>>otherwise, why would Dell, IBM, etc, be offering Linux?) in the "easy
>>>stores" because Joe and Jane General Consumer don't know they have a
>>>choice, because, as you have ***ALREADY ADMITTED*** MS has the retail
>>>channel "sewed up pretty tight."
>>
>>Chicken and egg isn't MS's problem; it's Linux's problem.  CompUSA can
>>sell any PCs they want in their store; the fact that MS software is
>>sold at these stores isn't MS's fault or problem.  Now, if you can
>>build a case that CUSA *cannot* sell a Linux box in their own stores,
>>please do so.
>
>       Considering the size of CompUSA, it is remarkably likely that
>       they fall into the same sort of 'bulk purchase' arrangements
>       that other larger vendors do.

I welcome any evidence of this, detailing how it curtails CUSA from
putting Linux on a few of their own computers (they have a CUSA
brand...) and selling it...

>       Now, not only is this a problem for Linux, but it's a problem
>       for OS/2, Solaris, SCO, BeOS or MacOS. If CompUSA wanted to
>       have an extra checkbox they could bundle BeOS for free as
>       well given Gasse's current policies.

MacOS is sold at CUSA.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:07:26 -0500

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:25:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:12:06 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:45:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>>
>>>     The like of Circuit City can quite easily allow access to rather
>>>     obscure brands in other areas of electronics.
>>
>>Why?  Where is the demand that would justify the shelf space?
>
>       What shelf space?
>
>       It really doesn't take up that much room. That's really
>       a rather lame excuse and really just bolsters my point
>       about natural monopolies.

In the grocery stores they (P&G, etc.) have PAID for shelf space for
their products.  I'm mystified that you don't see this as a massive
issue.  In magazine ads, publishers PAY for their products to get
placement in the magazine ads - for example, pubishers pay for "good
spots" in the magazines you get from MacConnection or PCWarehouse or
whomever.  I think it was Bungie that went on a big tirade about this
very issue a year or two ago...

>>>What's the holdup
>>>     in terms of computing. Why don't they have at least one BeOS
>>>     machine on display?
>>
>>Why?  Where is the demand that would justify the shelf space?
>
>       What? All 3 feet of it?
>[deletia]
>
>       Have you ever seen the amount of space the like of CompUSA
>       squander on duplicate copies of marginal software? It makes
>       one wonder if they are so wasteful in places like Silicon
>       Valley or Manhattan...

Apparently it sells...  Can you build a case that CUSA can sell Linux
workstations if they sold (rather, offered) them?  Do you really think
CUSA would just throw away that opportunity, given how competitive
retail sales are?  There's just no demand for it to CUSA's consumer
base.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:07:27 -0500

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:35:42 -0600, "John W. Stevens"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> If you say so.  They're no IBM, but many have been in business for
>> years and years and offer service IBM can only dream of.  A customer
>> can get and be speaking with a real human being (or the OWNER -
>> imagine that!) within seconds after walking into the store - no
>> voicemail hell here.
>
>Oh, joy.  Someone who doesn't realize that he isn't mainstream . . .
>trying to make claims about the mainstream based on his experiences.
>
>Sorry, DC, but you just don't understand that the average consumer is no
>more going to seek out an patronize one of these little shops, than they
>are going to seek out an patronize a consumer electronics repair shop.

The issue, though, is that it's out there, local to customers, and
available to them.  Now, do you suggest this same JoeAverage customer
would ever buy Linux?  If not, why are we discussing this?

>(How many people here took their last VCR to a repair shop when it
>broke?  Raise your hands, please . . .  Ok, how many of you just threw
>the old one away, and bought a new one?  Yup.  That's what I thought).

>> >       No it hasn't.
>>
>> Yes, it has.
>
>Jedi is right.  So are you.
>
>Yes, you can go to a small, local store and get exactly what you want.
>But Jedi is right in pointing out just how small a segment of the market
>those kind of people are.

And how small is the population that would ever buy a box with Linux
on it?

>You, me, Jedi . . . we might all be willing to put together our own
>systems, or patronize a trusted "hole in the wall shop", but the average
>consumer wants an information appliance, which is why the iMac sold so
>very well ("Step three . . . there is no step three . . . imagine
>that!").

:)

Then Jedi can't really suggest these people would ever run Linux....

>Pre-built to run a specific OS, pre-installed with that specific OS,
>pre-configured, and sold by a major retailer, preferably with all of the
>basic applications they'll ever want to run, applications that are well
>known by friends or family, and that are compatible with the
>applications run by friends and family . . . that's what your average
>computer buyer wants.

Agreed.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:12:50 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> > ASCII (0) is also known as "NULL"
>
> no dumb dumb, only sometimes - in databases a NULL doesn't equal anything
> and doesn't equal ASCII zero at all. Have you never worked in a database
> before?

He didn't say "NULL" is also known as ASCII (0).   He said ASCII (0) is also
known as "NULL".  There is a big difference.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:11:26 GMT

Chris Wenham wrote:

> Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > If in 3 years NET is a big deal and users find it very useful GNU NET
> > will suddenly pop up in Linux distributions.
>
>  By Magic!
>
>  I hope the source of inspiration for free software in the future will
>  not come from the Copy Microsoft (tm)* crowd.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Wenham
>
> * - "Lets Copy Microsoft", "Copy Windows" and "Just Like Windows" are
>     registered trademarks of the Linux Movement (tm).

Ya know, you're right on!

I've really been getting nauseated with Linux ever since I first laid eyes on
fvwm95.  I ran Slackware a while back and I thought it was pretty keen.  But
Redhat makes me want to vomit.  Everything tries to magically configure itself
and do everything for me, the stupid user.  Unfortunately when something goes
wrong (not if) there are now 12 more layers of complexity in my way to work on
solving the problem.  In the old Slackware days, I used to find the exact
script or configuration file in no time flat, make the change, and I was done.

I despise software that assumes I have no clue what I'm doing.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:16:41 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:
>
> >Is the alpha big endian ? I take it you only write for *Wintel*, not
> >Windows.
>
> Actually, all instances of Windows, whatever processor they run on,
> share the same endianness (and bugger if I can ever remember which one
> is which ;-). The Alpha and x86 share a byte order, and are different
> from the 68k.
>
> Bernie

That's true now.  But wasn't there a short lived ppc version?  ppc is big
endian.   x86 is little endian and I believe Alpha is little endian.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:16:56 -0500

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:20:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Jack Troughton) wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:12:06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:45:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>>
>>>     The like of Circuit City can quite easily allow access to rather
>>>     obscure brands in other areas of electronics.
>>
>>Why?  Where is the demand that would justify the shelf space?
>>
>>>What's the holdup
>>>     in terms of computing. Why don't they have at least one BeOS
>>>     machine on display?
>>
>>Why?  Where is the demand that would justify the shelf space?
>>

>>>Why doesn't CompUSA, or even some of those
>>>     overrated mom&pop shops?
>>
>>Why?  Where is the demand that would justify the shelf space?
>
>You clearly don't understand how shelf space works in the real world.
>Shelf space is bought by the vendor, not demanded by the customer. If
>a vendor has enough money to buy all the shelf space, well, too bad
>for the (less wealthy but perhaps better) alternatives.

I proved I know exactly how it works based on my reply (in this same
thread) to Jedi.  I feel demand has a heavier part in this than you,
though.

>>Face it - Linux and BeOS and all of those are cute and neat and all
>>that, but they sell really only to the hacker and geek communities -
>>you know, those people that know of software besides an office suite,
>>Quicken/Money, and a game or two.  Those people for whom "make
>>compile" isn't a dirty word...
>
>My mom uses an alternate system; she's no CS major, that's for sure.
>She doesn't seem to have a big problem with it.

Which OS?

>She also has no idea what 'make compile' means...

Cool.  Which OS?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:23:07 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:07:27 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:35:42 -0600, "John W. Stevens"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>>
>>> If you say so.  They're no IBM, but many have been in business for
>>> years and years and offer service IBM can only dream of.  A customer
>>> can get and be speaking with a real human being (or the OWNER -
>>> imagine that!) within seconds after walking into the store - no
>>> voicemail hell here.
>>
>>Oh, joy.  Someone who doesn't realize that he isn't mainstream . . .
>>trying to make claims about the mainstream based on his experiences.
>>
>>Sorry, DC, but you just don't understand that the average consumer is no
>>more going to seek out an patronize one of these little shops, than they
>>are going to seek out an patronize a consumer electronics repair shop.
>
>The issue, though, is that it's out there, local to customers, and
>available to them.  Now, do you suggest this same JoeAverage customer
>would ever buy Linux?  If not, why are we discussing this?

        It is a reflection of the barriers to entry inherent for
        an extremely influential technology.

[deletia]
>>Yes, you can go to a small, local store and get exactly what you want.
>>But Jedi is right in pointing out just how small a segment of the market
>>those kind of people are.
>
>And how small is the population that would ever buy a box with Linux
>on it?

        My colleagues are just going nutz over Tivo's at the moment
        actually...

>>You, me, Jedi . . . we might all be willing to put together our own
>>systems, or patronize a trusted "hole in the wall shop", but the average
>>consumer wants an information appliance, which is why the iMac sold so
>>very well ("Step three . . . there is no step three . . . imagine
>>that!").
>
>:)
>
>Then Jedi can't really suggest these people would ever run Linux....

        There's quite a difference between admitting that few
        people would ever be exposed to Linux and coming to the
        conclusion that it would never suit them.

[deletia]

        You can state the same of OS/2, Solaris, BeOS and to some
        extent MacOS.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:25:23 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:07:26 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:25:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>>>Why?  Where is the demand that would justify the shelf space?
>>
>>      What shelf space?
>>
>>      It really doesn't take up that much room. That's really
>>      a rather lame excuse and really just bolsters my point
>>      about natural monopolies.
>
>In the grocery stores they (P&G, etc.) have PAID for shelf space for
>their products.  I'm mystified that you don't see this as a massive
>issue.  In magazine ads, publishers PAY for their products to get

        Actually, this is a further motivation for me to avoid such
        establishments. I find it somewhat obscene that a merchant
        can essentially sell their customers down the river.

[deletia]
>>      What? All 3 feet of it?
>>[deletia]
>>
>>      Have you ever seen the amount of space the like of CompUSA
>>      squander on duplicate copies of marginal software? It makes
>>      one wonder if they are so wasteful in places like Silicon
>>      Valley or Manhattan...
>
>Apparently it sells...  Can you build a case that CUSA can sell Linux

        ...more circular reasoning...

[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:27:54 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:11:26 GMT, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chris Wenham wrote:
>>
>> Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > If in 3 years NET is a big deal and users find it very useful GNU NET
>> > will suddenly pop up in Linux distributions.
>>
>>  By Magic!
>>
>>  I hope the source of inspiration for free software in the future will
>>  not come from the Copy Microsoft (tm)* crowd.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Chris Wenham
>>
>> * - "Lets Copy Microsoft", "Copy Windows" and "Just Like Windows" are
>>     registered trademarks of the Linux Movement (tm).
>
>Ya know, you're right on!
>
>I've really been getting nauseated with Linux ever since I first laid eyes on
>fvwm95.  I ran Slackware a while back and I thought it was pretty keen.  But

        Why? It's mostly slightly dressed up Motif interfaces from 5 or
        more years before Microsoft finally decided to get desktop
        religion.

>Redhat makes me want to vomit.  Everything tries to magically configure itself
>and do everything for me, the stupid user.  Unfortunately when something goes
>wrong (not if) there are now 12 more layers of complexity in my way to work on
>solving the problem.  In the old Slackware days, I used to find the exact

        At any time, the end user is quite capable of completely bypassing
        and of this 'dreaded userfriendliness'. Infact, you will likely
        end up using the exact same facilities to do so as you would have
        under Slackware.

>script or configuration file in no time flat, make the change, and I was done.
>
>I despise software that assumes I have no clue what I'm doing.

        The differences aren't as vast as you make them out to be.

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:24:03 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Drestin Black wrote:

> "sandrews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> (and
> confronting

> > > No, I just did it cause it was quick and dirty but you constantly ignore
> > > that. Fine.

> > > Wrong. You are wrong. Ahhh mr programmer man, you are so limited in your
> > > knowledge and skills and it shows. Basic is not hampered by zero
> > > termination. I can include ascii 0 values in my strings all I want,
> > > anywhere, without any ill effect. You'd know that if you were a real
> > > programmer...
> > >

> > Are you talking about \0 = nil or "0" which is 0x30.  There`s a large
> > difference.
> > the former is a nil and the latter an ascii "0".  The nil is a
> > non-displayable
> > character how does that hamper the C language?  You sir know nothing
> > about
> > programming in C.  What you have shown is that you use and are
> > comfortable using
> > a script "kiddy language".  I would not embarrass myself with such a
> > language.
> > Learn how to program and USE a REAL programming language!
> >
> > Another luser, running a luser os, scripting with a luser language =
> > microsoft.
>
> another complete fucking idiot trying to sound smart.
>
> Dude, ascii 0, zero, as in not the letter O you silly wanker. Yes, I friggin
> well know the difference and you are a complete moron for even considering
> otherwise. If you had even a remote clue about programming in BASIC you'd
> know exactly how much effect putting a ascii zero anywhere in a BASIC string
> has: Fuck All! as in nothing, nada, zilch zero. Good - I hate elitist types
> who think that cause they struggle to produce something in C that that makes
> them superiour to us cranking out useful working code in VB in 1/4 the time.
> Give me a break... Embarrass yourself? How about learning the basics of
> basic before pretending to give any lessons - you only expose you stupidity
> and ignorance.

You are the moron, You are attempting to talk about asciiz string.
a asciit 0 is NOT an O it is a zero with a hex value of 30.  An ascii
nil
which is a hex value 0 (not O damn it) will terminate a string.  It
farted up
basic string when I was using a technique called string packing (this
was
using GeeWiz-BASIC.  You probally don`t know what string packing is.