Linux-Advocacy Digest #122, Volume #28           Mon, 31 Jul 00 02:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Anti-Linux Spammer Steve/Mike Forges His 31st Fake Name -was- Linux? You're
kidding right? Some kind of a joke? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Anti-Linux Spammer Steve/Mike Forges His 31st Fake Name -was- Linux? You're
kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
  Re: Anti-Linux Spammer Steve/Mike Forges His 31st Fake Name -was- Linux? You're
kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Linux? You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke? (JoeX1029)
  Re: Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ? (JoeX1029)
  Re: Anti-Linux Spammer Steve/Mike Forges His 31st Fake Name -was- Linux? You're
kidding right? Some kind of a joke? (abraxas)
  Re: Linux? You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke? (abraxas)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (petilon)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (Courageous)
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (Courageous)
  Re: Linux? You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke? (Courageous)
  Re: Linux can physically destroy your hard drive! (JoeX1029)
  Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary? (Perry Pip)
  Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary? (Perry Pip)
  Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary? (Perry Pip)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux Spammer Steve/Mike Forges His 31st Fake Name -was- Linux?
You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:39:05 GMT

Take your "fudge packing crap"  elsewhere you San Fran Homo.....

How about telling it like it is?

That gay males have over 450 partners per year, and they ain't playin'
monoply.

Sure you talk about "Love"..

Love that involves sticking a dick up another mans ass.

How about www.cruisingforsex.com which has since been shut down
because the faggots got too much bad press.

That's real love...Damm fudge-packer....

What happens when you stick your dick into another mans asshole?

It smells, gets filthy and he screams.

All typical faggot behavior...

So explain to me...how are you faggots going to multiply and sustain
the population....?????

Guess you will have to drop a load or two into that nasty
cunt....NOT!!!!!!!!

Bilk is a PAID SHILL for PACIFICA RADIOl the faggot network if you
will.

Looking  forward to your daughter sucking on a twat?Think Pacifica...

They think it's OK....

Bilk is a charter member of ButtHoles are US and you need only do a
search on Deja to find the truth...

THey should sterilize all faggots before they get a chance to enter
the gene pool........

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:40:25 -0700

Mark S. Bilk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8m2sle$g21$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm sure I've missed a few, but here's the current list
> of false identities used by anti-Linux spammer Steve/Mike.
> He attempts to deceive readers into thinking that a large
> number of people are unhappy with Linux, when actually
> they're all him posting under a multitude of forged fake
> names:
>
> Steve/Mike/Heather/Simon/teknite/keymaster/keys88/Sewer Rat/
> "S"/Sponge/Sarek/piddy/McSwain/pickle_pete/Ishmeal_hafizi/
> Syphon/Proculous/Tiberious/Amy/Jerry_Butler/Wobbles/wazzoo/
> "Tim Palmer"/BklynBoy/susie_wong/"leg log"/bison/steveno/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]/"Saul Goldblatt"/mike_hunt/etc.
>
> As usual, he repeats his same old series of lies:

Add yet another one to the list:  %^$&&&&&&&&&&&&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!.com

This time except for the "com" and then end he or she is not even using
alphabets any more.  He is even talking back to himself or herself now.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:47:43 -0700

Mark S. Bilk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8m2sle$g21$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm sure I've missed a few, but here's the current list
> of false identities used by anti-Linux spammer Steve/Mike.
> He attempts to deceive readers into thinking that a large
> number of people are unhappy with Linux, when actually
> they're all him posting under a multitude of forged fake
> names:
>
> Steve/Mike/Heather/Simon/teknite/keymaster/keys88/Sewer Rat/
> "S"/Sponge/Sarek/piddy/McSwain/pickle_pete/Ishmeal_hafizi/
> Syphon/Proculous/Tiberious/Amy/Jerry_Butler/Wobbles/wazzoo/
> "Tim Palmer"/BklynBoy/susie_wong/"leg log"/bison/steveno/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]/"Saul Goldblatt"/mike_hunt/etc.
>
> As usual, he repeats his same old series of lies:

And yet one more [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:12:33 -0500

> > Bullshit.  Want an example?  The ENTIRE Lycos network including
Lycos.com,
> > Tripod, WhoWhere, Angelfire, MailCity, HotBot, HotWired, Wired News,
> > Webmonkey, Sonique, Quote.com, Gamesville, and Lycos Zone runs on nix?
No,
> > it can't be it's WINDOWS 2000!!!  What a suprise.  And there are
hundreds of
> > other top shelf sites that use NT technologies just like these!
>
> LIAR.
>

> Then why are all of the links on their home pages referring
> to .html files?  LOSE-DOS has .htm files.

You make your entire argument based on file name extension?  Geez.

NT can use .html files as well, you know.  Check netcraft if you don't
believe it.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:17:14 -0500

"petilon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> So what is wrong with dividing up your database among many
> machines? If any *ONE* of those machines crash, a portion of
> the database is now unavailable, so the system as a  whole
> becomes unavailable.

I don't know if SQL Server does this, but it seems pretty logical to me that
you would use a technique similar to RAID arrays.

RAID arrays store a certain amount of redundant inforomation on all drives,
so that in the case of a single drive failure, you don't lose any data.  If
you lose more than on drive, then you're hosed.

I don't see why any clustered server would write all the information to all
clusters when a technique similar to RAID would work just as well.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Subject: Re: Linux? You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
Date: 31 Jul 2000 05:07:29 GMT

You dumb fag Linux hasn't been around for 25 years and Mac OS 9 sucks like
Monica.  It's slow and looks like crap.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Subject: Re: Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ?
Date: 31 Jul 2000 05:13:12 GMT

Try SCO UnixWare 7.  It's about as true as you can get.  It's all based on
SVR4, SCO was the last to license the src.  You should really consider SCO
UnixWare or OpenServer, they are really great systems.  Solaris is also based
upon SVR4.  The knowledge you obtain can be genereally applied from it to SCO
or some versions of Linux.  System V Realease 4  5.1 is a personal favorite so
SCO isn't far behind.  Try SCO you won't be disappointed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
Date: 31 Jul 2000 05:13:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Take your "fudge packing crap"  elsewhere you San Fran Homo.....
>
> How about telling it like it is?
>
> That gay males have over 450 partners per year, and they ain't playin'
> monoply.
>
> Sure you talk about "Love"..
>
> Love that involves sticking a dick up another mans ass.
>
> How about www.cruisingforsex.com which has since been shut down
> because the faggots got too much bad press.
>

> That's real love...Damm fudge-packer....
>
> What happens when you stick your dick into another mans asshole?
>
> It smells, gets filthy and he screams.
>
> All typical faggot behavior...
>

> So explain to me...how are you faggots going to multiply and sustain
> the population....?????
>
> Guess you will have to drop a load or two into that nasty
> cunt....NOT!!!!!!!!
>

> Bilk is a PAID SHILL for PACIFICA RADIOl the faggot network if you
> will.
>
> Looking  forward to your daughter sucking on a twat?Think Pacifica...
>
> They think it's OK....
>
> Bilk is a charter member of ButtHoles are US and you need only do a
> search on Deja to find the truth...
>

> THey should sterilize all faggots before they get a chance to enter
> the gene pool........

Wow.  I guess linux really does suck.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 31 Jul 2000 05:15:02 GMT

%^$&&&&&&&&&&&&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!.com wrote:
> You said it brother. Linux sucks the big one.. We tried it here in a
> dental office and it was a complete disaster. We could not share
> documents with other clients, our insurance carriers would not even
> talk to us due to incompatible formats we were sending them and out
> patients were annoyed because the billing system did not mesh with the
> system the insurance company carriers were running..
>
> Linux was a complete disaster for us.....
>

> My advice is, if you intend to run Linux, you better be dammed sure
> that every one you deal with is willing to put up with the shit that
> you are going to send them because that is what Linux is all about.
>
> Shit.....
>

> Try and find 10 people that are running Linux...Try it.............

I cant help but notice that each and every one of deadpenguins sockpuppets
posts from:

*.new-york-**-**rs.ny.dial-access.att.net

Hmmm.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: petilon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 22:12:59 -0700

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So what is wrong with dividing up your database among many
> > machines? If any *ONE* of those machines crash, a portion of
> > the database is now unavailable, so the system as a  whole
> > becomes unavailable.
>
> I don't know if SQL Server does this, but it seems pretty
> logical to me that you would use a technique similar to RAID
> arrays.

What are you talking about? I was talking about a machine crash,
not a disk crash.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 05:17:49 GMT

> How is this possible? Because data is shared.

This is formally called "replication". Just FYI.

C/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: 31 Jul 2000 00:18:43 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>People have always been able to get Netscape browsers if they wanted them.
>Until recently they came on virtually every OEM computer sold. That
>is....until  Microsoft came out with features people liked such as Auto
>Complete, and faster page retreival, as well as quicker opening of the
>program itself. When opening Netscape, you just about have time to go make a
>sandwich, opening MSIE takes less than one second on my machine, Netscape
>takes about 15 seconds shy of eternity. Not to mention a lot of websites are
>a.) hand coded or
>b.) made with a flavor of FrontPage
>the "b" method isn't too Netscape freindly. Netscape should have made the
>browser more compatible with MS's proprietory html tags.

What an insane concept.  Do you really think that just because one
company tricks their customers into using non-standard markup
instead of html that all the other companies should make the
same mistake?  But, if Netscape hadn't been driven out of
business, we might have found out how they wanted to respond...

>I for one am happy as fuck that there's basicly just one browser, regardless
>of who makes it.

That makes one of us, although I'd be happy if they all used
real html.

>> Many, perhaps most, machines are on a corporate network with
>> routing to the internet.  There is no 'signup' for internet
>> access.
>
>Wasn't the case in "95/96". The internet was relatively new

Would you care to research that statement a bit and try
again?

>and not a lot of
>corporations had widespread internet access on the desktops.

I was working at the American Farm Bureau at the time, not
exactly a hotbed of high-tech, and all the machines had
internet access before they installed Win95.

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 05:19:56 GMT

> > > So what is wrong with dividing up your database among many
> > > machines? If any *ONE* of those machines crash, a portion of
> > > the database is now unavailable, so the system as a  whole
> > > becomes unavailable.

Not if there's replication involved. Early research
efforts on database replication were backed by DARPA
in order to help foster networked computer solutions
which could survive a nuclear strike...

C/

------------------------------

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 05:20:43 GMT

JoeX1029 wrote:

> You dumb fag Linux hasn't been around for 25 years...

It's considered poor form to refer to something as
"dumb" in the same sentence as a grammatical error.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Subject: Re: Linux can physically destroy your hard drive!
Date: 31 Jul 2000 05:22:19 GMT

yeah or just write a program that spins a disk head till it overheats and
seizes the disk.  A Japenese hacker working for the NSA wrote it a few years
back.  Still thats some neat code, I might test that on my box for something to
do:-)  Slashdot put out a story on changing the molecular structure of a CPU
and making it explode.  Also, on insecure.org theres a article on how to crash
any OS running Intel hardware with some code.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Subject: Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary?
Date: 31 Jul 2000 05:21:56 GMT

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:06:45 -0700,
Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yet it was a transcontinental railroad, built with private funds,
>for purely pecuniary goals.

Originally chartered by the Government in 1864, and given a 10 million
acre land grant, it took nearly 30 years to fund and went thru several
bankruptcies.

>>> How do govt run teams do overall?

How did the military do in WWII?? Wasn't that a govt team?

>How about the things that the universities are there for? like
>graduating students?

Are you questioning the education quality at State Schools? Sure, it's
not quite Ivy Leage, beacuse it caters to the public at large, not
a select few.

>how is letter delivery not a serious issue? it's serious enough that congress
>outlawed any competition to the post office, because the post office couldn't
>hack it.

For a damned good reason: to provide equal servicing to rural
areas. Amercan letter Company offered service in 4 cities only:
Philadelphia, Baltimore, Boston and New York. It did not service any
rural areas at all. The USPS, founded one year later, provided flat
rate service to anywhere within a 300 mile radius, rural areas
inlcuded. Because of the much higher cost in establishing rural post
offices, and because of the natural tendency to price fix certain
routes, a private postal industry would have been unable to provide
servicing to rural areas at equal rates. To allow a competing company
in that would service cities only the competing company would take the
city postal maket and leave the USPS stuck with the more expensive
rural areas.

And FWIW, I don't think 33 cents unreasonable to deliver a letter to
anywhere in the U.S. The post office doesn't cost you any tax dollars,
as it holds it's on finiancially and has certainly kept pace with
technology, as for example with it's Linux based automated letter
readers and sorters.

>>And not paying taxes would be tax evasion.
>>

>Only if the taxes are legal and constitutional. Else it is  called theft,
>or extortion if you prefer.

And it is perfectly legal. From your own web site.
http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/important/const.html Article I section 8

>Jim Richardson
>       Anarchist,

Anarchist == idealism != reality

And how can you call yourself an anarchist and put the constitution on
your web page?? That's hypocracy.

>proud of it

i.e. an elitist about it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: 31 Jul 2000 05:22:38 GMT

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:42:29 -0400,
Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Perry Pip wrote:

>> >I wasn't saying that, you were. I was criticizing your claim that
>> >government officials would have more foresight.
>>
>> So then you are saying it is 100% impossible for them to do so? If so,
>> prove it. If not, my claim that sometimes they may more foresight is
>> reasonable.
>>

>I was criticizing the implicit claim that government officials, on
>average, have more/better foresight.

And I don't see where I am making such an implicit claim. When you
compare foresight of business to foresight of Goverment you are
comparing apples to oranges, becuase the priorities are totally
different. When company ABC considers developing product XYZ, they do
an economic analysis. When they determine that the upfront R&D cost is
so high it could be twenty years or more before they break even they
shelve it. In contrast, when the government considers making upfront
R&D investments, they are considering "Benefits to Society". These
"Benefits to Society" could be social, military, economic, or a
combination of these. These benefits are extremely hard to quantify in
terms of dollars and yet must be compared the required tax
expendetures to determine their worth. Because of the subjective
nature of these benefits it will always be a matter of opinion, and
the opinions of the voters are the ones that matter. Now a socialist
might tell you that since Government is interest in overall benefits
to society instead of simply profit or loss, it would have more
forsight. But a capitalist might tell you the opposite is true,
bacause competition and bottom line economics for the private
enterprises forces them to think with forsight in order to
survive. Both are nice in theory. However in the real world you have
to look at things on a case by case basis to see what factors really
apply.

>> >Ever try to fire a civil servant?
>>
>> You have never seen on the news civil servants lose their jobs due to
>> congressional funding cuts? Or a high Government official being
>> "asked" to resign? Or civil servants fired due to a scandal? High
>> level civil servants (SES level) can be fired without question. Most
>> commonly though, they are "asked" to resign. Lower level (GS,GM) civil
>> servants have more protections but still can easily be fired (and
>> soemtimes prosecuted) for direct insubordination or ethics
>> violations. I've seen that happen on numerous occasions.  Also,
>> whenever there is a funding cut, Reductions in Force, or RIF's as they
>> are called are quite common. Firing a lower level civil servant for
>> "poor performance" is a completely different issue, that takes about a
>> year or more of meticulous documentation, counseling, reviews,
>> etc. etc. and thus rarely happens.
>>

>OK
>

>> Generaly in the Federal Government, agencies want to get continued
>> funding, so they won't have to go thru a RIF. So the highest agency
>> officials have to brown-nose the Congressmen. Then they pass it down
>> hill, to the lower level civil servants. If anyone along the way
>> doesn't want to play the game, they can easily get "transferred" to a
>> less desirable job where they won't be in the way. So civil servants
>> ultimately have to follow their superiors, who follow the
>> Congress. But whether or not Congress answers to the voters is
>> ultimately up to the voters. And whether or not the voters have
>> forsight is also ultimately up to the voters. The weakest link in
>> Goverment today is the voters, not civil servants.
>>

>But how do voters identify the problem?

Identify what problem?? I'm just telling you the chain of command in
the Government. If the voters do not participate, that's their
problem.

>Also, a business gets feedback of the most brutal kind: if
>it doesn't sell the goods, it loses money.

True.

> Note that this
>feedback can be fine-tuned to different products from
>the same company.

And Governmnent budgets consist of many separate line items, for
various Government services. How is business more fine tuned??

>The government is not as restricted
>in its long-range action, but it has less fine-tuned
>correction if it makes errors.

How is business more "fine tuned" than Government?? I'm not sure what
you're sayiing here.

>> Also consider that in Japan, industry workers are guaranteed a job for
>> life when they are hired. The rationale behind this is that they will
>> be more devoted, and will not be working in constant fear. If a worker
>> has a job that is not going to change for 10 or 20 years, there no
>> longer is any short term goal, so why not act with forsight?? Compare
>> that to private businesses in the U.S., where they want you to put in
>> 20 hours per week overtime without pay, take no more the one week
>> vacation, and as soon as they don't need you, you're out the
>> door. It's quite obvious why American workers are not committed to the
>> employers: their employers (who lack the forsight themselves) are not
>> committed to them. Some U.S. Government agencies have caught onto this
>> problem in U.S. industry and are looking at more intelligable
>> approaches to human resources. Hence you will find some civil servants
>> who are more committed to their jobs and have more forsight than thier
>> private industry counterparts.
>>

>Some private firms (Krupp and Ford at some point) had similar policies,
>and for much the same reason.

Yes. Not all private firms are so abusive or their most precious resource.

>> >Really? Thomas Jackson and Microsoft might disagree there.
>>
>> How so? How is the MS trial effecting Government investments
>> (Congressional appropriations) in technology areas, i.e., NSF, DOE,
>> NASA, NOAA, research grants, etc. etc.
>
>It will certainly affect Microsoft's efforts if Jackson's ruling is upheld.

Which has little to do with Government appropriations in technology
areas and everything to do with antitrust economics. Monopolism is
IMHO one area where the theory of capitalism turns out to be only
a theory.

Perry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: 31 Jul 2000 05:22:51 GMT

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 16:50:31 -0400,

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 01:37:19 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "petilon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > So what is wrong with dividing up your database among many
> > machines? If any *ONE* of those machines crash, a portion of
> > the database is now unavailable, so the system as a  whole
> > becomes unavailable.
>
> I don't know if SQL Server does this, but it seems pretty logical to me that
> you would use a technique similar to RAID arrays.
>
> RAID arrays store a certain amount of redundant inforomation on all drives,
> so that in the case of a single drive failure, you don't lose any data.  If
> you lose more than on drive, then you're hosed.

We're talking about MULTIPLE MACHINES having access to the SAME DRIVES
you idiot!

RAID is a completely DIFFERENT SUBJECT

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.