Linux-Advocacy Digest #145, Volume #28            Tue, 1 Aug 00 02:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: How Can I contribute? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (Sean LeBlanc)
  Re: Linux can physically destroy your hard drive! (David Steinberg)
  Re: Can Linux get the job done?  Are there Linux apps for..... ("John Becich")
  A funny thing about Windoze networking (if you can really call it that). (Jim
Broughton)
  Re: LOREN PETRICH...CLOSET-DICTATOR ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (Jun Nolasco)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (Jun Nolasco)
  Re: No wonder Hackers love Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (Jun Nolasco)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (petilon)
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action      ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action (was:      ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: A funny thing about Windoze networking (if you can really call it  ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (Jun Nolasco)
  Re: A funny thing about Windoze networking (if you can really call it that). ("Erik
Funkenbusch")
  Re: Windoze is physically destroying my hand! (was Re: Linux [..] drive!) ("Stephen
S. Edwards II")
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark ("Mike Byrns")
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (petilon)
  Re: LOREN PETRICH...CLOSET-DICTATOR (Steve Chaney)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Can I contribute?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:14:09 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Tim Palmer wrote:

> >> Contact you're butholl.
>
> >Is that how they do it at Microsoft?
>
> No thats how thay do it at Linu's butholl party.

Keep smokin that crack, Timmy

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark
From: Sean LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:22:04 GMT

"Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Which unix machines? Which heaviest loads? The 2nd busiest site in the world
> is microsoft.com - not a single unix deseased box anywhere...

Well, seems Yahoo is still at the top of the heap...and guess what they run?
I'll give you a hint, it ain't Windoze, it's something that is deseased (sic).
In fact, a lot of the high traffic sites, for the ones that can be discerned,
are running some flavor of *nix:

www.yahoo.com - FreeBSD
www.altavista.com - Compaq TRU64 UNIX
www.aol.com - Solaris

The other problem is, Microsoft has access to their own source, you could say
it's almost like open source, but just for them...that makes a difference. I'd
like to see someone like Yahoo, without M$'s "help", create a M$ solution
for their site.

The fact of the matter is, if *nix suddenly disappeared, the Internet
would no longer function...that isn't necessarily so for Windoze...sure, a
lot of clients wouldn't work anymore, but connections and servers would still
be going strong...'cept for M$ and Lycos of course.

What I'm getting at is a proven track record...something that Windoze just
does not have in server world.

Microsoft and Lycos implemented a high-usage site using Microsoft tools. Good
for them. Now Microsoft just needs a proven track record to convince people
to go with their tools. They've come a long way, baby, but they have a long
way to go before people who are in the know will just take Microsoft's word
for it when M$ says they have server-class systems.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Subject: Re: Linux can physically destroy your hard drive!
Date: 1 Aug 2000 03:22:46 GMT

Drestin Black ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: This information was quoted from linux weekly news - I didn't make it up
: nor do I say anything other than what is here. Use your own brains to
: figure the rest out.

Funny.  I look up at the subject line and see "Linux can physically
destroy your hard drive!"  I search the LWN article in question, and I
fail to find that phrase anywhere.  In fact, I fail to see anything about
Linux doing physical damage to hard drives.  I see something about code
that can be run under Linux to instruct a drive to destroy itself.  The
two are obviously not the same thing.

On the contrary, it is most likely the open development model of Linux
that allowed this information to be brought out to the public.  And this
information is of use to anyone who uses IDE drives, under any operating
system.  We're all vulnerable.  (Fortunately, those of us who use OSes
that emply actual security aren't really, unless we want to do it to
ourselves.)

: I never said it couldn't run under Windows (but I don't often run
: as administrator under W2K anyway).

That's exactly what you implied.  You said that "Linux can physically
destroy your hard drive."  The obvious implication is that, if you're not
running Linux, you're not running the thing that can physically
destroy
your hard drive.

: Take your anger to lwn.com if you don't like what you read here, I
: didn't create it.

No one has a problem with the information posted at LWN.  It's your
obviously dishonest spin that people don't like.

BTW, it's lwn.net, dumbass.

--
David Steinberg                           -o)   In a world without walls
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC       / \   and fences, who needs

------------------------------

From: "John Becich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Can Linux get the job done?  Are there Linux apps for.....
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:14:30 GMT

John,
Funny how you've used the same analogy, "toaster," that I've used from time
to time.  Everyone wants a "toaster."  May God grant their wish!
Windows, unfortunately, has never quite made it to that vaunted status....
My parents were married in 1949.  One of the wedding presents they received
was a Revere toaster.  They still use it.  It makes toast just as well now
as it did in 1949.  They both get their toast.
On the other hand, my parents got their first computer last winter.  Windows
'98.  I advised them to get Windows NT (more robust), but I was overruled.
Anyway, they're having a rough time with their anti-toaster.
Don't worry.  I wasn't thinking of imposing Linux on my poor parents, ages
87 and 80.

Thanks for your response.
Cheers,
John

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.windows.advocacy
Subject: A funny thing about Windoze networking (if you can really call it that).
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 00:19:18 -0400

 I have a demand dial network server set up that serves
2 computers here at my house. 1) my personal box and
2) my roommates box. Funny thing is is that windoze
spews so many packets across my local ethernet wire
that demand dial seems to be always in demand.
 So with that I set out to see just what windoze does
to cause such a racket on the ethernet.
 Whip out the ol copy of tcpdump fire it up and low and
behold this is what windoze 98 is trying to do....

Making inquiries for netbios resolution on all 3 netbios ports.
Upwards of 30 times each on 2 of the ports.
Trying to confirm the dns. Multiple times for each defined
dns server. When that fails it then goes into some weird
cache it has and starts draging out hostnames from network
neighborhood (some of these from taking my computer to a lan
gaming party) and starts trying this process all over with the host names
from nethood plus the localy defined domain. These of course are rejected
as host unreachable. Does it ever give up. NOPE. I killed tcpdump when the
log file got close to 40k in size.
 So then I thought I would give being a DHCP server a shot. Nope. As soon
as windows gets the information it starts spewing packets.
 The only packets to come out of my personal linux box are the packets that
are used with the mounting and use of NFS and the local networks RIP.
In other words only what I tell it to do.
How the hell do you winadmins deal with this crap?
--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbough,soc.singles
Subject: Re: LOREN PETRICH...CLOSET-DICTATOR
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 00:16:32 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Loren Petrich wrote:
>
> >>         I'm sure that you'll enjoy a law that the Soviet Union had had --
> >> a law against "parasitism".
> >If they truly believed it, then the party leaders would all be
> >in the gulags....as they are the biggest parasites in the country.
>
>         How are they fundamentally worse than most other politicians and
> business leaders in this regard?

Hey, retard, builder of straw-man arguments....

What part of "I oppose ALL wealth redistribution programs"
do you not understand?

> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Jun Nolasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 00:22:22 -0400

        So, what's new? I personally know that Oracle does the same thing in
the RDBMS arena.

------------------------------

From: Jun Nolasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 00:25:16 -0400

        You have no idea what you are talking about.

Jun Nolasco

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: No wonder Hackers love Linux
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:21:08 GMT

How absolutely fascinating.

From: Jun Nolasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 00:39:10 -0400

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> In article <uveh5.11098$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Many corporations use WinNT and now Win2000 for their largest, most
> > heaviest tasks.
>
> The PC bus architecture has the I/O throughput for that sort of stuff?
> The usual tactic is to get a proper mainframe or Sun Enterprise or
> what-have-you[*], and I've never heard of a port of NT to that size of
> iron...
>
> Donal.

        Then you'd be surprised to hear that the top 5 of the latest TPC-C
Performance results use Windows 2000. Plus the top 10 TPC-C
Price/Performance results are either WinNT or Win2000.

Jun Nolasco

------------------------------

From: petilon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:44:44 -0700

Jun Nolasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       So, what's new? I personally know that Oracle does the
> same thing in the RDBMS arena.

And why should anyone believe you? Provide a link.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 01:06:31 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Are you alleging that the Communists do not hold over 90% of the
> >seats in the Russian Duma?
>
>         I wonder what Mr. Kulkis's criterion is for determining who's a
> Communist; is it anyone who does not want the restoration of the Tsar?

For the purposes of the above statement, all members of the duma
whose official party affiliation is the Russian Communist Party

> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action (was:
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 01:08:30 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >>
> >> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >> Even amidst such a rant, that sounds like an incredibly silly thing to
> >> say.
>
> >They can throw out the entire board of directors at any time...
>
>         I'd like to see Mr. Kulkis lead some boardroom coups some time.

Normally, there is no need.  If it gets that bad, the board of directors
resigns, either out of embarrassment, or because they realize that they
are wasting their time...

> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: A funny thing about Windoze networking (if you can really call it
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 01:11:26 -0400

Jim Broughton wrote:

>  I have a demand dial network server set up that serves
> 2 computers here at my house. 1) my personal box and
> 2) my roommates box. Funny thing is is that windoze
> spews so many packets across my local ethernet wire
> that demand dial seems to be always in demand.
>  So with that I set out to see just what windoze does
> to cause such a racket on the ethernet.
>  Whip out the ol copy of tcpdump fire it up and low and
> behold this is what windoze 98 is trying to do....
>
> Making inquiries for netbios resolution on all 3 netbios ports.
> Upwards of 30 times each on 2 of the ports.
> Trying to confirm the dns. Multiple times for each defined
> dns server. When that fails it then goes into some weird
> cache it has and starts draging out hostnames from network
> neighborhood (some of these from taking my computer to a lan
> gaming party) and starts trying this process all over with the host names
> from nethood plus the localy defined domain. These of course are rejected
> as host unreachable. Does it ever give up. NOPE. I killed tcpdump when the
> log file got close to 40k in size.
>  So then I thought I would give being a DHCP server a shot. Nope. As soon
> as windows gets the information it starts spewing packets.
>  The only packets to come out of my personal linux box are the packets that
> are used with the mounting and use of NFS and the local networks RIP.
> In other words only what I tell it to do.
> How the hell do you winadmins deal with this crap?

They blame it on the network guys who administrate the routers.

> --
> Jim Broughton
> (The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)
> If Sense were common everyone would have it!

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Jun Nolasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 01:21:08 -0400

petilon wrote:

> Jun Nolasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >       So, what's new? I personally know that Oracle does the
> > same thing in the RDBMS arena.
>
> And why should anyone believe you? Provide a link.

        Now that is a problem. As this was a contract bid, obviously there will
be no such link.

        But, why don't you drop by at:

                220 East 42nd Street, 18th Floor
                New York, NY

We'll then take a short walk to another building where the IT staff will
fill you in on all of the juicy details.

But, just like what I told JTK, you take care of your own fare and
lodging (unless you already live in the Big Apple).

        And just for showing up, I'll treat you to a really nice lunch at Le
Halles.

Jun Nolasco

P.S. JTK - the same deal applies to you.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:49:57 -0500

"Jim Broughton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> How the hell do you winadmins deal with this crap?

We don't use NetBIOS or NetBEUI, and we configure our routers not to route
traffic that is workgroup oriented.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windoze is physically destroying my hand! (was Re: Linux [..] drive!)
Date: 1 Aug 2000 05:37:03 GMT

Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: Fscking mouse!

I have the solution to your problem:  stop fscking your mouse.
--
.-----.
|[ ]  |  Stephen Edwards | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount
| =  :| "I'm too polite to use that word, so I'll just say,
|     |  'bite me, you baboon-faced ass-scratcher.'"
|_..._|                     --SEGA's Seaman on the "F" word.

------------------------------

From: "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:44:08 -0500

"petilon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jun Nolasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So, what's new? I personally know that Oracle does the
> > same thing in the RDBMS arena.
>
> And why should anyone believe you? Provide a link.

Is that all you got nix loser?

------------------------------

From: petilon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:52:01 -0700

Jun Nolasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Jun Nolasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >       So, what's new? I personally know that Oracle does the
>> > same thing in the RDBMS arena.
>>
>> And why should anyone believe you? Provide a link.
>
>       Now that is a problem. As this was a contract bid,
> obviously there will be no such link.
>
>       But, why don't you drop by at:
>
>               220 East 42nd Street, 18th Floor
>               New York, NY

Who lives at this address and what are you saying Oracle did?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Chaney)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbough,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 05:57:20 GMT

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 22:11:23 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Loren Petrich wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Behold: Loren Petrich's definition of success...
>> >       achieving the status of dictator.
>>
>>         And Mr. Kulkis would renounce such a position if someone
>> appointed him to it. Right. [sarcasm]
>
>It's funny that you assume that *EVERYBODY* has such desires...

Uh oh
oh god
one of the ancient ones is back
and Aaron the one legged battle crab is getting his ass kicked again

-- Steve

Sheridan, camera five quick!

trust me

you're gonna wanna watch this