  Re: Is there such a thing as a free lunch? (Wolfgang Rupprecht)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:19:48 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8m411b$i2a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <uveh5.11098$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Many corporations use WinNT and now Win2000 for their largest, most
> > > heaviest tasks.
> >
> > The PC bus architecture has the I/O throughput for that sort of stuff?
> > The usual tactic is to get a proper mainframe or Sun Enterprise or
> > what-have-you[*], and I've never heard of a port of NT to that size of
> > iron...
> >

> Yes, actually, it does. This is proven all the time. Benchmarks head to head
> against the biggest iron Sun can muster is defeated by Compaq and Dell boxes
> using Wintel.

Only on machines that cost as much or more than similarly equipped Sun
boxes.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "John Hughes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:26:56 +0100

"Tim Tyler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.lang.java.advocacy John Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : In the real world we have people like Fungus who lie and spin
information to
> : suit themselves. His motives are 'anything but M$'. The fact that he has
> : posted links to a pro M$ technology web site must be causing him great
> : mental distress.
>
> Um, have you actually looked at the site in question?

Im a subscriber. Have you?

------------------------------

From: petilon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 12:20:18 -0700

"John Hughes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> You are not load balancing SQL.
>>
>> i.e., you are lying again.
>>

> Can you prove this? Im currently working on a system like
> this so if its all in my imagination I would love to know.

Yes, I can prove it. But first you are going to have to explain
what you understand by the term "load balancing", with respect
to a DBMS. If we don't start with a definition then I cannot
prove anything because you are simply going to redefine "load
balancing" to mean something else.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SemiScholar)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism,soc.singles
Subject: Re: one  of Lenin's Useful Idiots denies reality
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:29:56 GMT

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:07:11 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Loren Petrich wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Steve Chaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >On 1 Aug 2000 06:12:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich) wrote:
>>
>> >How good does a power mac work with Linux? That processor should be
>> >screaming without the limitations of (pick your Apple OS of the day).
>> >It sure turns out x86 screams without the limitations of Windows,
>> >that's for sure!
>>
>>         It performs excellently under the BeOS, though I haven't tried a
>> PowerPC flavor of Linux yet.
>>
>>         Apple is still too slow with MacOS X :-(
>
>Well, maybe if you got some hardware that wasn't stuck in the 1980's....

ROTFL!!!  This from a "Unix Systems Engineer"??   Hahhahahahahah!!

Unix was a good idea.   ...   ...  in 1969

So you think a G4 is a 1980's processor?   LOL!!

>> --
>> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
>> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html
>

>--
>Aaron R. Kulkis
>Unix Systems Engineer
>ICQ # 3056642

- SemiScholar

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:24:51 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Now that's a compelling argument! Also completely false.
> > >
> > > Many corporations use WinNT and now Win2000 for their largest, most
> > > heaviest tasks.
> >
> > EVERY Fortune 500 company I have worked at keeps their most
> > important databases on AS/400's and Unix machines.
>
> which demonstrates exactly what we've been saying all along. You are full of
> it! And, besides, so what if 1 or 2 F500 companies keep "most" of their
> "important" databases on AS/400s and Unix machines according to ex-employee
> kookis. All the rest run on less expensive, easier to maintain/operate and
> more productive Windows/Intel boxes.

Refresh my memory....

Exactly how is re-installing the operating system, re-installing all of
the applications, and then having to tweak all of the settings through
a gui every couple of months "easier to maintain and operate"

In EXCEEDINGLY RARE the event of catastrophic failure on a Unix machine,
all you have to do is

a) reload the absolute minimal base operating system (30 min max.)
b) recover from last night's backup tapes.

ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaah, perfect restoration.

Unix engineer goes back to desk, relaxes, posts to Usenet,

Meanwhile, drestin adress will be working overtime on his LoseNT box,
long into the night...going home when he has achieved the mere goal
of "getting it running"...and then will resume working on this ONE
BOX for the next two day.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:26:30 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "fungus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Mike Byrns wrote:
> > >
> > > Everything is redundant.
> > >

> > No it *isn't*, that's the entire point. How many times must
> > it be pointed out to you?
>
> but, you are wrong and we're trying to educate yo.

Um... you're lacking in two crucial areas, Drestin Adress
Specifically: knowledge and wisdom.

> > The Microsoft TPC database is split into equal chunks, if
> > any chunk/machine is lost then all processing stops for that
> > part of the database.
>
> prove that statement and maybe we'll listen.

What's the point.  Every other time something is we show you proof
of this, that or the other, you ignore it.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
Date: 1 Aug 2000 19:27:03 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Version 7, circa 1978.  Long filenames were implemented in both
> System III, circa 1980 and the first versions of BSD, circa 1979.
> I.e. Unix had LONG FILENAMES before Microsoft even started selling DOS.
Not to mention the short filenames were at 14 characters longer than
the MS-DOS' 8.3 names.

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

MOPHOBIA:
        Fear of being verbally abused by a Mississippian.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: AARON KULKIS...USENET SPAMMER, LIAR, AND THUG
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:28:45 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On 1 Aug 2000 15:16:37 GMT, Mark S. Bilk wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>
> >But a 30:1 ratio of max to min salary/profit/etc. in a
> >business is enough.
>
> I disagree that the "ratio" is more than 30:1.
>
> >The richest 10% of Americans own 90% of the wealth, and thus
> >are 81 times wealthier on the average than the poorest 90%,
> >which collectively owns 10% of the wealth.  That's the
>
> You are mixing and matching income with "wealth" or "assets". All
> the assertion above proves is that the richest people tend not to
> spend all of their money.
>
> A better measure of living standards is not how much you accumulate
> ( I could accumulate nothing and live like a king ! ). It is in how
> much income you have.
>
> Now the upper tax brackets are at a marginal tax rate of I'd say at least
> 40%. So if the top 10% make up 90% of the nations income, then 36% of the
> nations income is shared by everyone ( in fact the people on the bottom
> would get a better share of that 36% ).
>
> >Yes, but a 30:1 pay ratio is enough, not 1,000 or 1,000,000:1.
>
> Here, you seem to be outright confusing pay ratios with ownership of
> assets. Don't forget, that the guy who is paid the higher amount gives
> more than 40% of it back to the country in income taxes.
>
> >I did not imply that.  However, average people live substan-
> >tially better in a Social Democracy like the Netherlands or
> >Germany than they do in the U.S., simply because wealth
> >distribution is more equal than here.
>
> It has everything to do with income and quality of public services,
> and very little to do with asset ownership.
>
> >Cute.  The threats come from the needs of the body for
> >survival, not from employers.  But the workers are not free
> >to take no job at all -- they and their families would die.
>
> So your point is that the employers are more powerful. But the truth
> is more subtle than that. There are several factors -- is the industry
> in question unionised ? Those that are tend to offer better employee benefits.
> Those that aren't do not even offer health insurance or any sort of job
> security.

Not true.  Around Detroit, fast food joints are offering 401k plans
and full health benefits for ANYONE who works for them

And not a union in sight.

> There's also unemployment -- high unemployment stacks the deck in the
> employers favour. Skills shortages tilt the balance towards the employee.
> If you acquire skills in a sector with a skills shortage, it's dead easy
> to get a decent job,  indeed, the wave of Indian and Chinese immigrants
> understand this and are milking it for all its worth, while others
> just whine about how hard things are.
>
> --
> Donovan

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: fungus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:31:47 GMT

John Hughes wrote:

> Im currently working on a system like this...

Prove it....

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Lycos Selected Microsoft and Intel
Date: 1 Aug 2000 14:31:22 -0500

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > it's "web search" is handled either by inktomi or Fast
> >
> > How do you know this?
> >
> > -Chad
>
> Because I worked at FAST and was a technical contact for Lycos.

Do you work there now? I'm certain the answer is no because you would know
that that relationship was dissolved over dissatisfaction with the
reliability and performance of that "solution."

Lycos switch to Wintel to improve performance and reliability. Think what
that says about what they were using before...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbough,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:30:08 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On 1 Aug 2000 17:27:46 GMT, Loren Petrich wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>What is your definition of "owns" ? The days of the rigid class
> >>divisions where everyone is a factory owner or an exploited factory
> >>worker are long gone.
> >
> >       But those are supposed to be the Good Old Days of Capitalism,
> >right?
>
> This is a straw man, and you are misrepresenting both me and my arguments.
>
> Why do you tell outright lies about my political views ? Are you not
> capable of debating without resorting lies and personal attacks ?
>
> >>If you are trying to imply that there is no social mobility in the US, I'd
> >>counter by suggesting that there is a lot more of it in the US than there
> >>is in most communist countries.
> >
> >       Beside the point. Saying that anyone can become an exploiter if
> >they try does not not make exploitation any less real.
>
> The fact that it's "exploitation" implies that the "exploited" parties are
> "exploited" against their will. If anyone conveniently walk out of a
> situation where they are being "exploited", it's misleading to call
> it "exploitation".
>
> And you *still* haven't demonstrated that widespread exploitation is real.
>
> > In fact, the
> >Ferengi ideal of capitalism is to not only acknowledge the reality of
> >exploitation, but to become the exploiter.
>
> Speaking of relevance ...
>
> >       And yes, under Communism, anyone could become a Party boss if
> >they tried.
>
> No, they couldn't.
>
> > Mr. Rebbechi's comments seem suspiciously like what Communist
> >officials claim that they had created -- nations of the workers, by the
> >workers, and for the workers.
>
> >       Also, why don't Mr. Kulkis or Mr. Rebbechi run for President and
> >and use the Presidency to turn the US into an anarcho-capitalist utopia?
>
> Because:
> (1)     I am a democrat supporter
> (2)     I am not a US citizen.
>
> Why do you keep resorting to lies straw men, and insults ?
>
> Are you proud of your unwillingness or inability to discuss this like a
> civilised adult ?

Loren, like most Communists, is intellectually and emotionally stuck
at the age of 13.

> --
> Donovan

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: What are all you nix trolls doing in the WINDOWS advocacy list?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:29:19 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <0Ttf5.80515$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You think that your jihad is really worth your time?  I came here to
> > advocate Windows 2000 with like minded folks and you trolls come in to
> > pontificate on your OS.  Go back to *your* advocacy group.  You're
> not gonna
> > change many minds here.  Least of all *MINE*.
> >

> There are a couple of reasons why we cross post:
>
> a.) There are still people that think Windows is everything. When
> reading about other OS's, they shall see there are alternatives.
>
> b.) Sometimes we just return the compliment.
>
> c.) Some topics are worth cross posting in order to get the bigger
> picture.
>
> d.) It is not just about changing minds - it's also about broadening
> horizons.
>
> Did I miss anything?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Yes, you missed the revenge factor (although your return the compliment
remark touches on it).  Some of us Linux people get sick of seeing
Windows advocates constantly spouting forth what ridiculous crap we are
using in 'our groups' while what we came here to do is advocate Linux
with like minded people.  Sound familiar?

While I don't do it myself, I can understand why people begin the
cross-posted flame-bait type posts.  I don't like it, I don't feel it's
necissary, but it happens.

Now, to reverse the original question, what are all you Wintrolls doing
in the Linux advocacy group?

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: 1 Aug 2000 14:34:05 -0500

> Spud wrote:
> >
> > [snips]
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Try using line numbers, you idiot.
> >
> > Why?  The code, as provided, didn't include them... therefore it not
> > only will not, but in fact, cannot, work on several variants of BASIC.
> > If you *wanated* line numbers, why didn't you *supply* line numbers?
> > Computers can't read your mind; they do what you tell them to.
>
> I based it upon the erroneous assumption that Drestin Black
> was smart enough to include them, like any other basic programmer
> would.

"like any other basic programmer would"
well, you claim to be a basic programmer (among 14 other languages) - how
come YOU didn't include them? And, NO it wasn't the line numbers that I've
been complaining about. I love watching you wriggle missing the other
errors.

> The line numbers are a trifling detail over which only complete
> ninnies like you and Drestin get hung up upon.
>
> Our resident CS prof in Australia didn't even mark-off for it.
>
> What does that fucking tell you?

then he is stupider than at first we thought.

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:34:31 -0500

Mikey wrote:

> I'm Linux/Unix-centric, but...IMHO...
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > d.) It is not just about changing minds - it's also about broadening
> > horizons.
>
> But at what cost?  It's kind of like watching $FAVORITE_SHOW, and then
> suddenly your show gets invaded by a Televagelist show popping up on
> occation.  After a while, it gets annoying to people who watch that
> show, who didn't ask for that invasion, and would prefer not to have the
> Televangelist there.
>
> Maybe we just need a NG called alt.linux.vs.windows to give *all* the
> trolls a place to play.  :)

This reminds me of wrestling last night.  I tune in for mind-numbingly
stupid programming (T.V. Wrestling is more soap opera than wrestling),
and what do I get?  Three excursions into the Republican National
Convention with wrestling promoters telling me how to vote.  Did I like
it?  Hell no!  Do I like the cross-posts from the Windows flaming
trolls, or the cross-posts from the Linux flaming trolls?  Hell no.  But
whatcha gonna do?

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: trying to break a patent
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:27:59 GMT

I am trying to invalidate a patent entitled "Remote Information Service
Access System Based on a Client-Server-Service Model" (U.S. patent
number 5,544,320, available at www.uspto.gov).  The inventor claims to
have invented a variation on client-server computing back in 1993.  The
patent supposedly covers a computer system including a local computer
connected to a remote computer over a network.  The patent requires 2
separate processes on the local computer and 4 separate processes on the
remote computer, as follows:  On the local computer:  (1) a human
interface server (e.g., an X Window server) and (2) a starter client
process that kicks off a starter server process on the remote computer.
 On the remote computer: (1) a starter server process that kicks off a
(2) starter "service" process that kicks off a (3) remote object client,
which interacts with a (4) utility service (e.g., a database).  The
basic idea is that a remote object client acts as an intermediary
between the human interface server on the local computer and the remote
utility service on the remote computer, with the added twist that
"starter" processes on the local and remote computer get things rolling.
 The patent owner is suing a bunch of companies in Texas for patent
infringement, claiming that because they access databases over the
Internet, they infringe his patent.  Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Brad Wright, patent attorney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

comp.infosystems.gis,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Is there such a thing as a free lunch?
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:52:26 GMT

Let me jump in on the side evil, oppression for an instant.  Then I
promise, I'll snap out of it.

> Not if those costs are already being covered by the need to mainatain those
> facilies for some other purpose which exists whether or not email is
> transferred.  In that case, the cost to maintain the faciltiies *for
> transferring email* is zero.
> But they are not costs to *transfer* email.  They are costs to *maintain* the
> facility.  Not the same thing at all.

The cost is only zero if one is using integers or a floating point
type with insufficient bits in the mantissa.

The electricity cost of running a program can be measured by anyone
with a ammeter.  In the case of current-vintage x86 desktop computers
thats a delta of very roughly 50 watts between sitting halted and
running.

(Folks running that popular program loader from that redmond company
will not notice any difference in power usage running and not
running.)

-wolfgang
--
http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/