  Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism,soc.singles
Subject: Re: one  of Lenin's Useful Idiots denies reality
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:34:50 -0400

SemiScholar wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:07:11 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Loren Petrich wrote:

> >>         It performs excellently under the BeOS, though I haven't tried a
> >> PowerPC flavor of Linux yet.
> >>
> >>         Apple is still too slow with MacOS X :-(
> >
> >Well, maybe if you got some hardware that wasn't stuck in the 1980's....
>
> ROTFL!!!  This from a "Unix Systems Engineer"??   Hahhahahahahah!!
>
> Unix was a good idea.   ...   ...  in 1969
>
> So you think a G4 is a 1980's processor?   LOL!!

Unix had windows before Microsoft even wrote MS-DOS.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:35:46 -0400

Steve Chaney wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:29:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (SemiScholar) wrote:

> >>Well, maybe if you got some hardware that wasn't stuck in the 1980's....
> >
> >ROTFL!!!  This from a "Unix Systems Engineer"??   Hahhahahahahah!!
> >
> >Unix was a good idea.   ...   ...  in 1969
> >

> >So you think a G4 is a 1980's processor?   LOL!!
>
> Sigh. Aaron's been busted again. LA Times front page news. (NOT)
>
> Linux is so early 90s'ish. Get wit da new stuff dammit.
> Windows 2000 is year 2000 technology, heheh heh heheh heh

Yer dreamin' steve.  The only thing that Lose2000 is good at is
running M$-proprietary pollutions.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why use Linux?
Date: 1 Aug 2000 23:41:44 GMT

Spud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [snips]

: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> Spud wrote:

:> But should a bad app be able to take down the system? I have had
:> Netscape crash in Linux, but Linux keeps right on going.

: In an ideal world, nothing short of CPU failure should bring down the
: system.  Microsoft does offer platforms which prevent applications bringing
: down the OS

Such as . . . . .

??

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:40:30 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
> [snip]

> > > In fact, that was the work he was asked to withdraw. That was a
> > > common way of publishing theory, as dialog. In fact, I have read
> > > that the reason why he was harassed was that he was not impartial
> > > in his exposition, showing the defender of the old theory as a
> > > moron (which was, of course, a very stupid thing to do).
> >
> > Actually, no.  His original work was a scholarly work.
>
> Care to cite the name of that work?

I don't know, but you can contact Prof. Foley.

Or, send e-mail to Prof. Rothenberg, his office is right down
the hall from Foley's ( Howard Rothenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> )

> > The Catholic Church went absolutely bonkers and did everything short
> > of calling for his head on a platter.
>
> They did not. They used the standard language of the age for this kind
> of thing. Of course it was a bit more, let's say, colorful than it
> would be today.
>
> Going bonkers would be what happened with Giordano Bruno, not Galileo.
>
> When you are supposed to be the guardian of the word of the creator of
> the universe, there is no light way of reacting to someone who
> opposes that word. The church literally had no choice of action,
> short of (in their own eyes) apostasy.
>
> > He published an official retraction of the original book, and
> > rewrote the ideas as a sort of discussion between the characters
> > mentioned above.
>
> That work, "dialog between two systems of [something I can't recall]"
> was previous to his famous trial. After the trial, Galileo didn't
> publish anything about the subject.
>
> > My source is lectures I attended at Purdue
> >
> > Prof. Vernard Foley
> > Dept. of History
> > University Hall
> > Purdue University
> > West Lafayette, Indiana, 47906
>
> Cool, my source is reading Galileo's book in an annotated edition.
> I'm afraid I don't have it to give the reference, but it was
> something published in Spain, circa 1860. Of course that was some
> 15 years ago, so my recollection can be suspect.

> and
> > >
> > > Those were not just the clergy's view. There is a very unfortunate
> > > tendency today to believe people in the past were morons. They
> > > were not! That was, simply, the state of the science at the time,
> > > just like newtonian physics was a couple of centuries later.
> >
> > True, but only the church viewed it as a prosecutable offense
> > to publish a differing interpretation of the movement of the
> > planets and the stars in the skies above.
>
> It was the commonly accepted position at the time that such was the
> church's job. Since it was divine right that validated secular
> authority, it was all pretty coherent.
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:42:36 -0400

Jim Richardson wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2000 04:10:41 GMT,
>  Stephen S. Edwards II, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  brought forth the following words...:
>
> >:      Vote LIBERTARION.... the political equivalent of Linux.
> >
> >Wrong.  The political equivalent of Linux is communism.
>
> Hey, if we are putting lables to linux agin, I'll disagree with you
> both and say anarchy.

That would be only if there were not GPL or equivalents.

Linux DOES have the concept of law.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: A funny thing about Windoze networking (if you can really call it
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:43:33 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Nico Coetzee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Another strange thing equally amazing: Create an empty Word Document.
> Logic
> > says it must be 0 bytes, right? WRONG! 10.5 KB!
>
> Why would logic say that?  A word document is an OLE compound structured
> storage file.  This allows multiple "streams" of data to be saved in a word
> document (such as versioning information for instance).  This flexibility
> comes at the price of a certain amount of metadata, much like a filesystem
> on a hard drive has metadata which controls it's overall format.
>
> For all intents and purposes, OLE structured storage is a filesystem within
> a filesystem.

This is so typical Windows/Microsoft behavior. The fundamental
constructs of the OS are so inefficient, that they must re-invent OS
constructs for each application. There is no rational explanation for an
empty document to take up 10K, other than poor programmers. You may
state "reasons," but just because someone can come up with a "reason,"
does not mean another has to accept it as being reasonable.

> > So, 100 users creating 1 empty Word Document everyday - roughly equals
> 267.6MB
> > of wasted space per year ((365-104{weekend-days})*100*10.5).
>
> Why do you have 100 users creating empty word documents every day and
> storing them on your server?  Perhaps you should educate them not to do
> that.  While you're at it, you might want to educate them about not creating
> unique copies of their databases every day as well, or not deleting all
> their documents, since clearly such users are brain dead.

You should take a look at what "average" users do.

> > WOW!
> >
> > Now start back-ups and you have, after one year, an extra 270MB of trash
> > waisting Tape space and Bandwidth.
>
> Ever heard of compression?  Even in the unlikely situation that you
> describe, empty documents compress down to a very small size.

Compression is like an income tax deduction. It is better to not spend
money than it is to deduct it. Do the math. Regardless of the
"randomness" of the document, it is still not going to evaluate to 0. If
the document contains text, it is mathematically impossible, using
similar algorithms, to compress a larger document containing essentially
the same information as a smaller document to be as small or smaller
than the smaller document.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Dream World of Linux Zealots
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:46:15 -0400

Andres Soolo wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Until 5 years ago, Chechnya was just another Russian province.
> > They are indistinguishable from other Russians in language, genotype
> > (distinguishing physical characteristics), and culture.
> Well, they speak Iczhkerian that's more like Turkish than Russian,
> most of them are Muslims and an average Russian can easily detect an
> average Chechen by looking at his/her skin color.  If that's
> indistinguishability then they are.
>
> > The WESTERN news media keep calling Chechnya a "breakaway republic".
> > This is a misnomer.  Chechnya is an oblast', roughly the equivalent
> > of a state in the US.

> From the Russians' viewpoint.  Many Chechens consider themselves an
> occupied nation.

My Russian tutor was born in Tashkent, Azerbaizhan, attended
St. Petersburg State University, and stayed there until 1990.

Thus she has lived as both an "outsider" living in one of the
republics AND as a Russian "insider" living within Russia.

It was during one of my lessons when she brought the subject up....

"Who are these people? Who do they think they are?  Nobody ever
heard of them."

> > The whole Chechnyan revolution is akin to the county
> > of Essex declaring independance from the rest of England.
> No, it's a little bit more like Ireland declaring independence
> from the rest of the UK.
>
> --
> Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Fudd's First Law of Opposition:
>         Push something hard enough and it will fall over.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:47:11 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On 31 Jul 2000 07:45:26 -0500, Tim Palmer wrote:
>
> >Or you can get Windo's and not half to ty[e annything at all.
> ]
> I don't know what method you use to post your drivel, but may I suggest
> that the fact that you're not using the keyboard may be part of the
> problem ?

Actually, Timmy does use the keyboard.  He just hasn't figured out that
it's easier to use if you press the keys with your fingers, instead
of your nose.

> --
> Donovan

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbough,soc.singles
Subject: Re: AARON KULKIS...USENET SPAMMER, LIAR, AND THUG
Date: 1 Aug 2000 23:49:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The current widespread ownership of stock by all classes throughout
>society is the pinnacle of capitalism.

        Thus, we live in ... what would be a suitable term? ... I think I
found the perfect term ... a worker's paradise, right?

        Stock is nothing more than Pokemon cards unless one is both able
and willing to use one's stock ownership to exert pressure on a company's
management, such as vote them out of office.

>> In fact, the Ferengi ideal of capitalism is to not only acknowledge
>> the reality of exploitation, but to become the exploiter.
>Nobody forces you to do anything (other than fork over taxes to
>feed and house the freeloaders)

        According to your arguments, one is not forced if one can avoid
that, and one can indeed do so by moving to some other country.

>>         And yes, under Communism, anyone could become a Party boss if
>> they tried.
>All you had to do is display the greatest willingness to arbitrarily
>jail and/or kill anybody who refused to conform.

        You're *complaining* about that?

>>         Also, why don't Mr. Kulkis or Mr. Rebbechi run for President and
>> and use the Presidency to turn the US into an anarcho-capitalist utopia?
>1. Anarchy is the state of having no government.  How does one become
>president of a government which doesn't exist, moron?

        One becomes President to *dismantle* the government in this case.

>2. I have not the slightest interest in anarchy.  Government has a
>legitimate purpose....something which is quite evident when one
>visits many neighborhoods of Detroit--a city which has foregone
>basic governmental obligations in pursuit of implementing a
>marxist government.

        How is Detroit's city government "Marxist"? The last I saw of it,
it was *not* acting like some Communist country. And Commies are *very*
big on law and order.

>> Are those gentlemen too lazy to do so?
>I have better things to do than to be president of a government
>that doesn't exist.

        President of a government that doesn't exist? You'll be presiding
over Utopia, at least according to your beliefs.
--
Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: 1 Aug 2000 23:50:27 GMT

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:31:39 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>MH wrote:
>Then abolish the income tax and replace it with a sales tax.
>
>That way, the Kennedys and Rockefellers will start paying their share.

Consumption taxes hit the lower and middle classes harder because they
spend a greater portion of their income.

Personally, I think MH is greatly exaggerating the amount of tax evasion.
Small businesses dodge taxes or help their employees do the same ( until
they get audited ! ) but it's pretty hard for public companies to do it.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:49:06 -0400

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> > > Ah, so that it's not totally lost on you, here is a brief explaination.
> > > Don't take it too personally, it was meant as a joke.
> > >
> > > Kurt Angle is a former Olympic gold medal winner that now wrestles in
> > > the WWF.  He is extremely egotistical.  He uses his Olympic gold as his
> > > excuse for his ego.  He comes out and tells the crowd they are nothing
> > > because they don't have 'what it takes' to 'win the gold'.  They don't
> > > know what it's like to work for something.  They just don't understand
> > > how hard it is to truly work towards your goals.  On and on.
> > >
> > > He also won a tournament known as King of the Ring and it added to his
> > > ego.  He considers himself royalty (and feels it is only appropriate,
> > > after all, he is an Olympic Gold Medalist) and that everyone around him,
> > > including the other wrestlers, are just commoners.  He typical goes out
> > > of his way to insult someone, or to insult that crowd, and then as he is
> > > getting booed, he nods his head, holds out his hands and says, "It's
> > > true, it's true!"
> >
> > Thanks for the info.
> >
> > While not a fan of TV wrestling (gag) he does have a very good point.
> >
> > *HE* won the gold.  *HE* reached the pinnacle of achievement which
> > none of his opponents have even come within reach of.
>
> My point exactly.  While you both have a right to be somewhat arrogant
> (after all, you have each achieved quite a bit in your own way) and you
> are nearly as annoying as he is, I occassionally see the tendency to rub
> people's noses in it whether they deserve it or not.  Although, in the
> case of most of the things I see you do that with I tend to agree with
> your reasons for doing so (nudge, nudge Drestin...).
>

> > > Take any part of that you want as offensive.  As I said, it was meant as
> > > a joke.  As for my wrestling fetish, well, I have my wife to thank for
> > > that.  I hardly watched any TV when we started dating.  Now she's got me
> > > watching wrestling, Days Of Our Lives, Friends, Frasier, etc....
> >
> > Run Away!  Run Away!
>
> Yeah, I was OK until I started watching the soap operas.  She tapes them
> during the week and then we take a day during the weekend and watch
> them.  I really have got to find a way to get ou....
>
> (THIS BROADCAST INTERUPTED FOR RE-PROGRAMMING PROPOGANDA)
> MUST WATCH DAYS OF OUR LIVES, MUST WATCH FRIENDS, MUST WATCH FRASIER....

TV is a veritable pipeline for mindcontrol.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.