From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Star Office to be open sourced
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 16:59:48 -0400

Said Austin Ziegler in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, T. Max Devlin wrote:
>> I would suppose that for anyone who would know how to use make, knowing
>> how to get the free GNU make would be a decisively trivial barrier.
>
>From a technical perspective, yes. From a business perspective, no.

Well, I can't argue with that.  Well, of course I can, and might, but
that's to say that it is, indeed, a point worth arguing.  Thank you.

>Given, however, that you haven demonstrated you know exactly zero about
>copyright, software development, cooking, and just about every other
>topic you've raised in the past month ... I'm not surprised that you
>can't understand this, either. (That, and you seem to hate the software
>development community with a passion.)

Now if only you could have managed to continue staying on point and
thinking clearly for more than two sentences in a row, maybe we could
have that debate.  Thanks anyway.

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
ELTRAX Technology Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Isaac)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:02:06 GMT

On 8 Aug 2000 12:11:29 GMT, Lee Hollaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You can't just divine this stuff.  You need to go to the instruction
>manual -- the statutes and the court decisions interpreting them.

Yeah.  I blew it.  You don't have to register before the
violation occurs, but you do have to register before filing suit.
I knew that...

I think that by not filing before the infringement you are then not
eligible for statutory damages and must then prove actual damages
in order to win money.

Isaac

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 17:04:41 -0400

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
   [...]
>> Kurt Angle is a former Olympic gold medal winner that now wrestles in
>> the WWF.  He is extremely egotistical.  He uses his Olympic gold as his
>> excuse for his ego.  He comes out and tells the crowd they are nothing
>> because they don't have 'what it takes' to 'win the gold'.  They don't
>> know what it's like to work for something.  They just don't understand
>> how hard it is to truly work towards your goals.  On and on.
>>
>> He also won a tournament known as King of the Ring and it added to his
>> ego.  He considers himself royalty (and feels it is only appropriate,
>> after all, he is an Olympic Gold Medalist) and that everyone around him,
>> including the other wrestlers, are just commoners.  He typical goes out
>> of his way to insult someone, or to insult that crowd, and then as he is
>> getting booed, he nods his head, holds out his hands and says, "It's
>> true, it's true!"
>
>Thanks for the info.
>
>While not a fan of TV wrestling (gag) he does have a very good point.
>
>*HE* won the gold.  *HE* reached the pinnacle of achievement which
>none of his opponents have even come within reach of.

LOL!  "Its true, its true" says Aaron Kulkis.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: 8 Aug 2000 21:05:23 GMT

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:03:40 +0200, Lars Träger wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>I find it odd that the MS supporters always bring up the OJS case to
>prove the state is wrong in the MS case - when a) the "state" believed
>he did it (and thus is on their side), b) a jury had to decide, not a
>judge, and c) where the "state" (the police and the DA) made various
>blunders.

Moreover, the burden of proof is much more substantial in a criminal case.
As we all know, OJ lost the civil case ( the wrongful death suit ).

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Paging BIG DON
Date: 8 Aug 2000 21:09:41 GMT

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 12:52:04 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

>"My theory" is not my theory at all, but instead, the commonly held
>views among several defectors.

Do you have any supporting evidence ? And do they ? I mean, if they're
defectors, they obviously would have had access to some fairly impressive
evidence samples. As defectors who were probably seeking residence, they'd
hardly be considered impartial sources, though certainly well informed.

IOW, I wouldn't take their word at face value, but they certainly would
be able to bring some real evidence to the table ( if that indeed existed ).

Even if there really is such a "conspiracy", you also need to show that
they've had some success.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 20:27:46 +0200

It was the 08 Aug 2000 15:54:58 GMT...
...and Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I pointed out ObjectWatch, which is the corporate identity of Roger
> > Sessions, an expert in component technology who led the development of
> > major pieces of IBM's SOM framework. I also pointed out the recent
> > comments of Miguel de Icaza, major contributor to the GNOME project.
>
> Who, of course are entitled to their unbiased (of course) opinions,
> unlike those of us who are biased in another direction.

What Miguel likes about Microsoft is that they componentise their
software. He often goes nonlinear talking about this kind of thing,
and he's not very representative of the project at those times.

mawa
--
Beware of a dark-haired man with a loud tie.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux or Windows 2000 ????
Date: 08 Aug 2000 13:56:04 -0700

Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Aaron Ginn wrote:
>
> > I'm typing this on a Sparc Ultra 60 with 2GB of RAM and three CPUs.
>
> I too work with, and am fond of Ultra 60s.. they are great machines.
> However, they can only have 2 CPUs installed... not 3.

Oops, my bad.  I meant 2 not 3.

Just to set the record straight, here's the info on this machine:

              MODEL: SUNW,Ultra-60
                CPU: SUNW,UltraSPARC-II
                CPU: SUNW,UltraSPARC-II
    FRAME BUFFER(S): unknown
      SunOS RELEASE: 5.7
               TYPE: unknown (/=unknown, swap=, /usr=unknown, /home=unknown)
             MEMORY: 2048MB
               SWAP: 6583.5MB total, 89.5MB used, 6494.0MB available

--
Aaron J. Ginn                     Motorola SPS
Phone: (480) 814-4463             SemiCustom Solutions

------------------------------

From: "TimL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: And the winner is...
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:32:31 GMT

And he sure gets a lot of attention from cola. Way more than he/they should.

------------------------------

From: "TimL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:34:15 GMT

In article <8mpm4b$cbl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I think David Thomas is right. Lots of people visit this site. Their
> impression of the Linux community is formed in part by how people react
> to those who question the perfection of Linux. And if the community
> responds with hostility, rather than helpfulness, that is going to
> influence people's views in a negative way.

And if they decide to not use Linux, either its not ready for them or "their loss".

------------------------------

From: "TimL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX SUCKS...TRY IT FOR YOURSELF AND SEE....
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:38:35 GMT

Still a pathetic loser after all this time? Amazing!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Enlightenment and KDE
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:33:26 GMT

Hi,

I recently installed the Enlightenment WM on KDE running under Linux
2.2.14 (RH 6.2 Zoot). Does anyone know how I can switch back to KDE
from enlightenment ? I editted the .Xclients and .xsession under ~/ to
read the following :

For .xsession and .Xclients :

#Setting environment for Enlightenment <--generated automatically bu E
exec /usr/bin/kwm <--added this to invoke the KDE WM
#exec /usr/bin/enlightenment <-- commented this out

However, the system still launches enlightenment, ... am I doing
something incorrectly here ?

Thanks for any help,

Nataraj Dasgupta.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Steve/Mike Gets A Sex Change -- And His 36th Fake Name (was: Why    Linux
will crash and burn.....
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:40:17 GMT

Poor baby.

 If the fire is too hot for you maybe you stay out of advocacy groups.

May I suggest alt.arts.origami as an alternative.

Or maybe you have a low opinion of yourself and the truth hurts?

See if you fit Claire's "Typical Linux User Profile".

1.  Middle aged and single.
2.  Overweight.
3. No girlfriend.
4. Above average in intelligence but have trouble dealing with people.
5. The company you work for makes lots of money off of your work,
because you are good at whatever it is you do, but they make certain
to keep you locked away so the clients don't see you.
6.  The kid that the rest of the class picked on.
7. Because you are somewhat an introvert, you turn to your machines
(computers) for comfort.
8. You most likely had a very high GPA and SAT scores.
9. You don't own a television, or if you do, you don't watch it much
(this is good).
10. You love Star Trek, StarWars, 2001 etc.

Claire

------------------------------

From: "TimL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.1...Same old Linocrap......
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:40:36 GMT

Steve or whoever you are,
The Law of Diminishing Returns sucks, doesn't it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Hollaar)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: On Software and Copyright: Sega
Date: 8 Aug 2000 22:00:01 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>My partial reading of (so far) three different cases on game console
>infringement was that all three were based on trademark protection and
>whether (bizarrely enough, since I thought this was a simple matter of
>statute since the copyright law already allows for it) copying software
>into RAM is a violation of copyright protections.

I doubt that anybody who comprehends the cases consider them trademark
cases, except for a clever shooting down of a trick Sega tried to give
they added protection by forcing people to display their trademark and
then they claim trademark infringement.  The court nicely turned this
against Sega, then went on to discuss the copyright aspects.

The judge who wrote the Federal Circuit decision in _Atari v. Nintendo_
never referred to it as a trademark case in all our discussion of it.
He thinks it's about reverse engineering and copryight.

I don't know what your third case is.  If it's _Sony v. Connectix_,
it was a reverse engineering copyright case, too.  At least, that's how
we discussed in the friend of the court brief I had something to do
with.

As for copying software into a RAM, Section 117 only provides an
exception when it is being done to use a computer program.  It does not
cover copying it into RAM so it can be disassembled or otherwise
printed out, as the _Sega_ court makes clear.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Hollaar)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 8 Aug 2000 22:03:40 GMT

(Isaac) writes:
>I think that by not filing before the infringement you are then not
>eligible for statutory damages and must then prove actual damages
>in order to win money.

Right.  You need to register with three months of first publication
to get statutory damages and attorney fees, which are probably worth
the $30 registration fee ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
will crash and burn.....
Date: 8 Aug 2000 22:07:50 GMT

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:40:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Poor baby.
>
> If the fire is too hot for you maybe you stay out of advocacy groups.
>
>May I suggest alt.arts.origami as an alternative.
>
>Or maybe you have a low opinion of yourself and the truth hurts?
>
>See if you fit Claire's "Typical Linux User Profile".

Hi. I'm a "Linux user", but I'm only about 20% "typical". I suspect that
most Linux users do not match your stereotype.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "The Borg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux.turbolinux,alt.sex.fetish.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,at.linux,aus.computers.linux,be.comp.os.linux,casema.linux,cern.linux,ch.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.alpha,com
Subject: ! CABLE MODEM  MUST READ
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:10:12 -0700

  OnlineMe provides constant access to your WEB/FTP server at home

 Okay,... here is the story...
 Have you ever thought of installing a Web or Ftp server a home and then be
 able to access it from any where on Internet ?
 Well,... OnlineMe helps you to do this with your cable modem! :)

 http://www.casema.net/~gevik