From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows stability: Alternate shells?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:53:04 -0500

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:54:43 -0500

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> IIRC, kernel threads have been in Linux since the 2.2 kernel series
> started, and were integrated into libc during the switch from libc5 to
> libc6 (aka glibc).

Yes, I'm aware that linux has kernel threads.  I wasn't talking about them.
My understanding is that the Linux kernel is inherantly a threaded kernel,
and that the only difference between a thread and a process is that a
process is a thread with a unique memory context.

------------------------------

From: Albert Ulmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft MCSE
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:42:59 +0200

Stuart Fox wrote:
> > Just wait for the next fixpack to cure
> > the memory leak or page fault in our application.  Better go call our
> > resident mcse so that they can tell you that rebooting will "fix" the
> > problem.

> As a developer you need to make
> certain assumptions and one of them is that the OS is going to provide
> certain functions for you, and you won't have to fix them.

The trouble here is that the Windows-inherent "ease-of-use" gets in the
way when the developer needs (or rather wants) to know how to comply to
industry standards. As long as you stay in the MS universe and its
available "OS functions", you will hardly have problems. As soon,
however, as you intend to cover new ground, you'll find yourself with a
number of good questions (where did that memory leak come from? how do
valid TCP/IP headers look like? etc.) and very few answers from MS.

Just as an example, I had to develop a remote monitoring system for my
company and had to choose between Windows and Linux as a platform. I
dumped Windows the minute I found out how complicated it was to read
SNMP-values into a database and do various computations on the values,
let alone get reasonable performance out of the system. With Linux, on
the other hand, I had $0 investment to make in licenses and was all set
with tools like snmpget, mySQL and a few shell scripts running on Debian
GNU/Linux.

Our main admin is a NT-addict and his advice was to go with HP OpenView
and MS SQL Server. I don't think I'll have to point out the licensing
costs involved with this solution.

Bottom line: If you want to develop some serious database/networking
applications, you're plain lost with tools from MS. Linux or FreeBSD are
the only sensible solution here.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:53:38 -0400

Said R.E.Ballard in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
   [...]
>Use of goto statements, especially calculated goto statements,
>is also a bit "unkosher".  Again, these are bad habits that must
>be later unlearned when supporting mulitple users, multiple windows,
>and multiple threads.

But what if there is no later?  An end user wants simple customization,
automation, *control* of interface processing mechanisms.  If there
requirements extend to supporting other users than themselves, multiple
windows, or threading, then obviously they should learn a "real"
programming language.  I'm just interested in how *accessible* it is,
not how *capable* it might be.

   [...]
>Microsoft has pretty much tried to "Un-BASIC BASIC" for years.  While
>this has made their implementation more useful as a tool, it begins
>to blurr the distinctions between Visual BASIC and C.  Unfortunately,
>Visual Basic is only implemented on Microsoft platforms, while C and
>PERL are implemented on BOTH Windows and UNIX/Linux.

Microsoft has a vested in interest in ensuring that end users cannot
access empowering technologies; it would make them less dependant on the
myth that Windows/DOS/MS-BASIC supplies some irreplaceable
functionality, without which they would be at the mercy of Unix wizards.
It doesn't really take much to become a Unix wizard capable of putting
some shell scripts together; we know this to be true.  So why does it
seem so scary to the end user?

>A developer who wanted to hedge his bets, cash in on a fast-growing
>new market, and still have easy access to the existing Windows markets
>would be very wise to consider using a portable language such as C,
>PERL, TCL, or Java.  Is there a Python for Windows?  These are
>languages that are "complile-and-run".  It takes so little time to
>compile them (often less than 100 milliseconds per thousand lines)
>that it's faster and easier to just compile them once and run them
>in a tight loop.
>
>PERL got a bad reputation because the generic CGI/PERL interface
>cause CGI to exec a new PERL image with each incoming message.  This
>meant that each message caused a load, compile, link and
>initialization, before it parsed the 1 line of HTTP request and
>generated the output.  Apache/Mod_PERL used a server which let the
>perl module run continuously and the Apache server would simply pass
>the message and wait for a response.
>
>PERL is still a bit crippled in the NT Resource kit, but it's
>quite functional.  If BASIC wasn't too much of a struggle,
>PERL should be quite easy.[...]

I'm a huge fan of PERL.  I don't know how to use it very well, and I
don't blame the language for that.  But I don't blame myself, either.
I'm looking for answers, not blame, and I haven't seen what I am
actually hoping for, or any sign that it might appear.  Which is a way
of making it easy to learn PERL for someone who didn't learn it (or at
least two other languages) before they were 35 to the point where they
can *use* it.  I don't have much trouble *understanding* basic
programming structures, and even some rudimentary algorithms.  But it
never seems trivial to me to actually put together a script to do
something I might consider wanting to automate on my desktop.  But, of
course, maybe that's just me.

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
ELTRAX Technology Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark
Date: 14 Aug 2000 13:55:42 -0500

> Spud wrote:
> >
> > [snips]
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > It's fucking trivial with Unix, however.

> > > System security.
> >
> > Hmm.  Unix security is *so* pathetic that the only viable option is to
make
> > the world think it's really Win98, thereby causing only Win98 attacks?
> >
> > Majorly weenie.
>
> No, it's called operational security.  All military organizations
> practice such techniques...
>
> If you don't know which flavor of Unix I'm running, then you'll
> spend far more time beating your head in vain.

AHHHHH - Aaron explains something to us all!!

I should have guessed!  Now, when I use netcraft to check and see what OS a
site is running (assuming the site cares about security at all) we can
assume that it's really running some version of Windows instead of the Unix
it reports - all as a clevel way of deceiving hackers!! (Who are so stupid
that they are fooled by the most obvious of ways to pretend to be another
OS.)

So, hence forth, when aaron points us to a unix site we must remember that
it's operation security is reporting *nix to the outside world but really
it's running something else inside...

hahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:53:47 -0500

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> Hmmm... I was raised on quite a bit of PBS... I suppose
> that explains why I look at "professional" wrestling, and
> sneer in disbelief.

"Professional" wrestling on TV is not 'real' wrestling.  You have to
remember that they are there to entertain.  As such, they are actors.
And if you happen to catch any of the WWF shows in the last year or two
you would see that the acting far outweighs any sort of physical
abilities these 'wrestlers' have.  True, some of them are great physical
specimens, but they are not on TV to wrestle.  They are on TV to act out
a seriously complicated play, with a lot of physical interpretive dance
(and I won't get into the entire psychology of the acting of violence
and the psychological state of the audience that wishes to see the
violence).

Real wrestling has its place, just realize that TV wrestling (WWF, WCW,
ECW, etc) has nothing to do with real wrestling.  It makes the watching
much more enjoyable.  And I should know.  My wife started me watching
wrestling when we started dating.  Once you get past the lack of 'sport'
in wrestling, it really is quite entertaining.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm curious
Date: 14 Aug 2000 14:01:38 -0500

Owning the company helps ...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says
Linux growth stagnating
Date: 14 Aug 2000 14:01:42 -0500

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ms4do$8e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Meanwhile, we have the WinTrolls, who seem to offer pseudonyms,
> > > hide behind 5 layers of anonymous e-mail, and provide links
> > > to the Microsoft websites as their primary source of information.
> >
> > Examples being ?
>
> drestin black, "s", roger.  Many of whom don't even include real
> e-mail addresses (i've tried responding privately and the mail
> bounced).

My e-mail address is legit and always has been. Simply remove the ".nospam"
portion.

<snip>

> I have a particular admiration for Drestin Black.  He is very
> articulate, and is very good at providing references that appear
> to be verifiable - and usually disclose details at the bottom of
> the article that effectively refute the claims he was trying to make.

Thanks.
But, i think what you are refering to is something like where the article
goes exactly as I said it would but in the copyright there is some mention
of Microsoft or some MS related corporation. AND you instantly conclude that
it must be a lie or that MS wrote it or that it's bought and paid for by MS
without doing any further research. THAT is the flaw in your research, not
mine.

> When I do post a reference, I've usually read the entire article
> to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

As do I.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux growth stagnating
Date: 14 Aug 2000 14:01:41 -0500

I am not now nor ever was paid by MS. Period. This is the only NG I post to
using this handle. Why? Because it's fun and soaks up some dead time when
I'm just too lazy to work. Which I can do cause I own the company. I am not
currently active in the "porn" website business, that's a venture long past.
I write from my own (and my companies) collective experiences working with
companies large and small. It's not linux I hate as much as the
stereotypical linux booster.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux growth stagnating
Date: 14 Aug 2000 14:03:02 -0500

> Funny how the little retard hasn't been seen since he fucked up the
> big-endian/little-endian conversion program.

Funny how you didn't show at Michigan and Central...

I have been on a vacation in Canada... you've heard of this right? it's
called having a life outside of computers?

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:55:03 -0500

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux growth stagnating
Date: 14 Aug 2000 14:04:01 -0500

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8n83ee$b4b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I've also had fun with style & diction analysis (the unix predecessors
> to Microsoft's style checker).  You find a great deal of similarity
> between the writing style of Drestin Black and the person who writes
> Microsoft's formal press releases for PR NewsWire.  In one case,
> he even quoted a large section and I didn't realize that it was
> a quote until I started the reply.

I would love to see some samples.... this could be entertaining  "They" say
everyone has their "twin" out there somewhere... eerie

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:59:59 -0500

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>
> > John Mogensen wrote:
> > [snip nice points]
> >
> > I think the only thing you forgot is that Linux is slowly alienating
> > some of the very people that were initially attracted to it because it
> > is *computer literate* friendly.  And as it tries harder and harder to
> > emulate Windows, it will alienate more and more of its developers and
> > users.
>
> I'm not sure Linux itself is really changing in that direction.  After all,
> the GUI is still optional.  And if you do want a GUI, you don't have to
> pick one that reminds you of Windows.
>
> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

I'm speaking of far more than just the GUI.  I know that's the number
one focus of a lot of people here, but that's not what I'm talking
about.  I'm talking about the systems that implement PNP in ways that
create a nightmare every time you boot your machine, let alone change
any hardware, and similar 'Windowsisms' that have crept into some
people's minds as good ideas.  Look to Corel to see what I mean.  And
many people are saying these are good ideas.  I don't think so.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

From: "Joey Le" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.windows2000,alt.linux,alt.windows98
Subject: Re: Windows has made me stupid !!! Thanks, Bill. (Windows is worst than
Crack-Cocaine)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:08:03 -0700

linux is better at that, hehe, but remember that it does not have much hard
and software compatibilities.
IBM is making linux alittle more happy these days.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...