From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:37:09 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8mksso$7r8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Now that qualifications are out of the way, here is what I said about the
> > various programs:
> >
> >    Drestin's program had a design problem. It "almost" worked, or rather,
> >    worked "most of the time". This sort of problem can be insidious, hard
> >    to notice (many of them make it "into the wild"), and once noticed,
> >    often hard to find.
> >    Drestin's implementation was also phenominally bad from a performance
> >    point of view, because it used conversion from and to strings, and
> >    dynamically built a string two characters at a time, all of which are
> >    expensive operation, and completely unsuited for the job at hand.
>
> I'll only repeat myself one more time, I threw together a VERY VERY quick
> prog off the top of my head without even trying to run it to test it. I used

Goddamn you're a freaking MORON.

It was a "3-minute" problem....one which ANY programmer should be able
to solve "off the top of his head without even trying"

Claims of "well, I didn't have enough time to spend on it" lacks
a certain....validity...

> strings cause I didn't want to spend the minute or so to figure out the
> binary version - i was simply throwing out a super fast reply to pippi's c
> routine he figured couldn't be done in BASIC. I never expected the code to
> come under such close scrutiny. Performance aside, the code worked for the
> examples provided and a few others I came up with, but I didnt give it the
> full test cause I didn't actually run it. That code wasn't meant to
> demonstrate *my* coding abilities (or not) just that BASIC could do what
> that C function could do. I've already redone it using binary math instead
> but of course no one replied even once to that post!

What's the effective range of an excuse?
0 Meters.

> aaraon's code, on the other hand, has still to be massage to the point at
> which it would run under any BASIC interpretor or compiler I'm aware of.

It will run under TRS-80 and Apple ][ and IBM-370 VSBASIC

Probably ATARI BASIC also, but I can't verify that.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dresden's copyrights (Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:37:34 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8mqc33$qer$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > command_n+1 [args] ...]

> > > #1) I replied privately.
> >
> > Awww Drestin, you took all the fun out of it.
>
> sorry.
>

> > > #2) I have no idea how to write such a thing in C,
> >       I'm not a C programmer.
> >
> > What languages do you program in?
>
> VB and variations mostly.

Translation: Toys for Teenagers.

> >Which languages do you use
> > that support a command line interface?
>
> Almost every version of BASIC I've ever used.
>

> <snip>

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Subject: Re: I do not understand the sudden issue of "the GUI in the Linux    kernel"
bit... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: 15 Aug 2000 00:44:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

8<SNIP>8

>> If Linux gets munged to the point where you no longer like it,
>> and you don't want to, or cannot make the changes you want to
>> the base system, then simply leave it for something else.  After
>> all, isn't another touted strength of UNIX environments the
>> interoperability factor?  Go to Free/Open/NetBSD, or even a
>> commercial UNIX variant, if you have the means.
>>

>The investment of time that people put into the system they use make
>them reluctant to switch.  However, I almost always have one BSD machine
>'at the ready' for my use at any given moment.  And I would switch if it
>came down to that.  But do you really, seriously want to see this
>happen?  I mean, if the GUI is integrated in some way, or if some other

No, I don't want to see this sort of trend happen, because
that means that eventually, the BSDs will be under pressure
to do the same.

As I said earlier, in the case of UNIX, I don't think that
a GUI protocol belongs in kernel mode.

>idiotic thing happens to the kernel, there will be a 'much' greater
>tendency toward splitting the kernel up into the 'geek' version and the
>'normal people' version.  Then we will hear that damned 'see, Unix
>forked, now Linux is doing it too' crap that so many people have been
>trying to spout ever since Linux gained any popularity.  What's wrong
>with asking people to be careful in what goes into the base system?  Why
>does it bother you so?  I have a right to say that I don't like it, and
>I think I'll use that right.
>
>Sue me if it bothers you that much.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I'm not trying
to denounce your position.  I'm actually trying to
explain what I see happening from my POV, and say that
I feel your pain in this matter.  I was also saying that
I don't think that there's much you can do to fight the
winds of fate on some things, and that you do have choices
should the unfortunate occur.

Sheep may be soft and cuddly, but in a horde, there is
no way to stop their momentum.  When they start going
somewhere else, it's best to start hanging out with
the small wolf pack across the way.  :-)
--
.-----.
|[_]  |  Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount/
| =  :|  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|    -| "Even though you can't see the details, you can sense them.
|     |  And that is what makes great computer graphics."
|_..._|                      -- Robert Abel of Abel Image Research

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft MCSE
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:38:27 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Pan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > No kidding.  Yet curiously, vb forms 75% of the core training necessary
> > to get systems developer certification from micros~1 and the rest of it
> > is access, sql, foxpro, and exchange.   So according to you, micros~1 is
> > offering systems developer certifications for people who aren't really
> > systems developers.  Well, that's kinda like offering engineering
> > certificates to people who aren't really engineers which is rather where
> > this conversation began.
>
> It appear that we have come full circle though the Wonderland of MCSE with a
> side trip through MCSD.  And the result is that the MCSEs are anything but
> SEs.

Did I call it, or what?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Email spamming to the readers of these NG's
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:38:04 -0700

Please excuse the crossposting, but this involves the readers of all three
newsgroups.

How many others here have recieved spam via email with the appearence of
being a follow up to threads in these newsgroups (COLA, COMA,  and COMNA)
from this domain?

Registrant:
Callmaster S.A. (CALLMASTER-DOM)
   11445 Genova Road
   Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
   US

   Domain Name: CALLMASTER.COM

   Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
      Dodt, Don  (DD11557)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Callmaster S.A.
      11445 Genova Road
      Rancho Cucamonga , CA 91730
      909-944-1988 (FAX) 310-388-1140
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      DILORETO, DAVID  (DD13531)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      EyeFX.net
      1409 James Street
      Cedar Hill, TX 75104
      972-291-3393 (FAX) 972-849-7688

   Record last updated on 28-Jun-2000.
   Record expires on 24-Feb-2001.
   Record created on 24-Feb-1999.
   Database last updated on 13-Aug-2000 22:03:44 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.Y2KNETCAFE.COM           196.40.15.38
   NS2.Y2KNETCAFE.COM           196.40.15.40

So far to day I have recieved two such spams which I am including here

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:40:33 -0400

2:1 wrote:

> > The entire British measurement system is still in place in the US
> > for consumer and agricultural products.
> >
> > President Carter TRIED to get us to switch over to metric in the
> > 1970's, but the only place it really has been carried out is in
> > science and engineering.  Our automobiles are metric now, but that's
> > really about the only consumer-good in the US that's manufactured
> > to metric specs.
>
> We're just in the middle of conforming to (on not in some cases) a new
> EU regulation, forcing shops to sell stuff in metric measurements. It
> has to happen eventually.
>
> > For engineering, yes.  For cooking...we have 100 Million dumb-ass
> > women over here who can't figure out that the only CRUCIAL aspect
> > of a recipe is the PROPORTION of the ingredients.  They get all
> > freaking hyper when they find out that 1 cup isn't EXACTLY 250ml,
> > and...oh god, it's just such a TERRIBLE thing... you have to do
> > all this freaking math...oh horrors!
> >
> > The idea of just realizing that a Tablespoon is 1/24th of a cup,
> > which is close enough to 1/25th of a cup, and proportioning everything
> > off of that is beyond them.
>
> We too have a similar problem. Also, take the amount in Kg, divide by 2
> and you have the amount in lb, roughly.
>
> But I'm in the stuck in the middle generation. The generation above do
> everything in imperial, but we were taught metric in the schools, but
> the whole country isn't like that, so people of my age use the
> following (just because, really):
>
> Miles for long distances (esp. on roads)
> Meters for short measurements, except height.
> Peoples height in ft/in.
> Aeroplane height in ft
> Most weights in Kg
> Peoples weight in Stone, lbs

How many pounds in a Stone???

> Heavy weights in tons or tonnes (since they're about 5% different)

English Ton vs. Metric Tonne

> Really short distances can be in inches or cms.
> Distance to the finish (in a horse race) in furlongs
> Temperature in deg C

We still use Temp in F. for "the weather" and casual use.

> And fo all engineering applications, we use SI or multiples thereof
> (like mm), except when using old data tables.
>
> Etc, etc...
>
> So, isn't my life complicated :-)
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> BBC Computer 32K
> Acorn DFS
> Basic
> >*MAIL ku.ca.xo.gne@rje98u (backwards, if you want to talk to me)
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:41:42 -0400

Mike Marion wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > President Carter TRIED to get us to switch over to metric in the
> > 1970's, but the only place it really has been carried out is in
> > science and engineering.  Our automobiles are metric now, but that's
> > really about the only consumer-good in the US that's manufactured
> > to metric specs.
>
> Unfortunately, asking the stupid masses of our country to fire up an
> extra neuron or two for awhile to get used to something new is like
> asking them to chop off a limb or something.  I think my generation who
> learned the metric system in grade school wouldn't have as much of a
> problem, but there are still too many older gen people who just don't
> want to change.  Give it another decade or two and we'll probably be
> able to push the remaining holdouts over to it.
>
> I mean it's base 10.. it's more intuitive anyway.

And to top it off, our MONEY is a base 10 system!
They would throw a fit if they had to go to a pence/farthing/shilling/
pound/quid system.

> --
> Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
> Adolescence is a surreal world: kids who don helmets and practice
> banging into
> one another for hours each week are deemed healthy and wholesome, even
> heroic.
> Geeks are branded strange and anti-social for building and participating
> in one
> of the world's truly revolutionary new cultures - the Internet and the
> World
> Wide Web. -- Jon Katz / Slashdot.org

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: 15 Aug 2000 00:48:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8n98oh$h71$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Unix.  The separation of the GUI from the kernal forces better
>> programming discipline on the programmers.
>
>It also makes it possible to discard the windowing system when it is not
>needed.  It also make is possible to replace th windowing system with a
>different one.  Lets say someone developes a new Windows style windowing
>system to run on unix, one that is not built on X, it could be installed
>on a working unix platform and X could be removed and the OS would not
>care one way or the other.  Try that with Windows.

Replacing the EXPLORER.EXE with another interface?

I've already done it many times.  It's quite possible
to kill EXPLORER.EXE, and fire up another interface.
--
.-----.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: 15 Aug 2000 00:50:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Seán Ó Donnchadha) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:44:34 -0700, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>It also makes it possible to discard the windowing system when it is
>>not needed.  It also make is possible to replace th windowing system
>>with a different one.  Lets say someone developes a new Windows style
>>windowing system to run on unix, one that is not built on X, it could
>>be installed on a working unix platform and X could be removed and the
>>OS would not care one way or the other.  Try that with Windows.
>>

>Windows doesn't let you unload the built-in GUI, but it doesn't

More accurately, Windows doesn't allow you to unload
the GDI, which is analogous to a barren X config, for
the purposes of debate.

But the actual GUI, EXPLORER.EXE can, and often is
replaced with alternate interfaces.
--
.-----.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Article: Why linux is here to stay
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:44:28 -0400

Mike Marion wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > DOS is dead (you must have left school 20 years ago).
> > Linux is Unix. So you agree with the point then. When I was at school,
> > we used Sun everywhere, but that was becuase Linux did not exist then.
>
> Same here.  Well, Linux did exist then, but it wasn't as mature yet..
> many of us did use it at home to do programming assignments though.
>
> > they decide to use at work? Why do you think MS tries to give away
> > windows machines to universites anytime they can?
>
> Not to mention that it was the growing use of Unix systems at
> Universities that helped to push it's widespread use in the firstplace.
> Heck... many of the unix advances that are in mainstream use were made
> at Universities.. I mean the B in BSD is for Berkeley.

I know the guy who made the first Dual-CPU Unix machine:
George Goble (at Purdue).  His thesis paper on the whole thing was
only 2 pages long.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.