Linux-Advocacy Digest #422, Volume #28           Tue, 15 Aug 00 14:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (Chris Wenham)
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (Chris Wenham)
  Re: Will MS kill off Compaq and Gateway? (George Coulouris)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (Chris Wenham)
  Linux people don't speak Russian very well (was Re: Are Linux people illiterate?)
(Jim Cameron)
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company ("Mike Byrns")
  Re: Microsoft MCSE ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Gutenberg
  Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls
and Authentic Linvocates)
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls
and Authentic Linvocates)
  Re: Microsoft MCSE ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls
and Authentic Linvocates) ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Windows stability: Alternate shells? (mark)
  Re: Steve/Mike Gets A Sex Change -- And His 36th Fake Name (was: Why    Linux will
crash and burn..... (mark)

Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:44:45 GMT

    > Said Chris Wenham in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
    >> T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
    >>
    >>> Are you saying that a buyer wouldn't *want* to know, or that
    >>> they would be willing to not know if they were in fact able to
    >>> base their assessment of the quality of support for the
    >>> software products they intend to purchase on its reputation,
    >>> length of service, and other general attributes?
    >>
    >> Can you re-phrase that question?

    > Actually, I won't bother.

 Do you remember that collection of court room out-takes where one
 lawyer asks a hideously convoluted and unintelligable question, and
 the opposing lawyer says "Objection, I move that this question should
 be taken out of the court room and shot"?

 I was originally going to say something similar but I wanted to be
 more polite.

    > It was generally rhetorical, as you
    > seemed to be saying that customers *want* to remain ignorant
    > about what they're purchasing, and that's simply unsupportable
    > by any but idealistic software profiteers.

 (I've noticed that I "seem" to be saying a lot that I, in fact,
 didn't.)

 I think most Kitchentop PC buyers have prioritized what they're
 willing to spend time learning. Most of them are looking for a vendor
 they can trust so that they can just buy their PC, use it out of the
 box and spend the rest of their time dealing with higher priorities.

 If that translates to "wants to remain ignorant" then so be it. I
 don't particuarly want to know that much about a chainsaw if I need
 one. I would not look for the perfect chainsaw, I'd look for someone
 I think I could trust to choose the right one for me. If I say "I
 need to cut up trees and stuff" and he comes back telling me I should
 get a carbide tipped 1 1/2 horsepower Steehl brand chainsaw, then
 that's what I get. I want to get the cutting business over with
 quickly so I can spend time on more important things.

    >> I remember that this thread was about the viability of Linux
    >> being sold to the "Kitchentop" market.
    >>
    >> We could do this by massively educating the constituents of
    >> this market until they See The Light (tm) and call VA Research.

    > We can do that more than easily by preventing Microsoft's
    > continued monopolization in the PC pre-load market.

 Why would that change anything? No court order in the world is going
 to affect what the customer thinks he needs.

 So the court makes it easier for companies to pre-load Linux. Sure,
 but it doesn't make any change on the sales floor. In fact, this
 conversation began with the assumption that PCs preloaded with Linux
 would make it to the storefront.

    > Nope; that's idealistic.  If the seller rips the guy off, he
    > committed a crime, and can, and should, be prosecuted
    > immediately.  It is good that the market forces described by
    > capitalist theory work, but that doesn't mean they are a
    > replacement for civil laws.

 What kind of "ripping off" are we talking about here? Is this like
 the company that bottles New Jersey's municipal water and sells it
 for $1.50 per 20oz?

    >> But I think that the "Kitchentop" market has very high
    >> tollerances. They can put up with a lot of shit and it won't
    >> bother them. This is usually because their priorities are
    >> different than we think; they're keeping up with the Joneses,
    >> they've bought into the vision of the TV commercials, they want
    >> to be associated with the brand and so-on.

    > You really want this to be true, I'd imagine, because it mirrors
    > the pretense of a home PC market as presented by the profiteers.
    > I have to admit that hearing people use trite and horribly
    > distorted concepts of market demands like "keep up with the
    > Joneses" and the value of branding as justifications for
    > dishonest and unethical business practices, it pisses me off.

 It also pisses me off. How about attributing something to me that's
 accurate, and how about learning the difference between justification
 and observation?

    > Stop second-guessing the consumer.  If your "reasoning" requires
    > assumptions of their thinking, then it isn't reasoning.  It is
    > assumption.

 I have made inferences on potential reasons from direct observation.

 My direct observation (direct conversation with real customers
 selling a real service and answering real questions that made or
 broke the sale) is that customers value the presense of technical
 support. They make decisions based on it. It is also my observation
 that most of them will put up with a lot of crap. I've infered that
 they do this because they have higher priorities on their mind.

 Even with the inferences dismissed, the observations themselves are
 important to understanding the likelyness of successfully selling PCs
 pre-loaded with Linux to a Kitchentop market.

Regards,

Chris Wenham

From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:49:15 GMT

    >> but the first time they wish to install some software their
    >> friend has.. they'll probably be mightly pissed.

    > So? Assuming you're correct, we must stop and reflect that this
    > is a two way street. Their hypothetical Windows-running friend
    > may be equally pissed to discover that he cannot install GNOME
    > or GIMP, both of which his friend can download for free, and
    > *upgrade* for free.

 GIMP is available for Windows. The trend may extend to more. After
 all, the source is freely available.

 Indeed, someone may even port "Everblue" to Windows.

Regards,

Chris Wenham

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Coulouris)
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.windows.advocacy,comp.os.mac.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.area51
Subject: Re: Will MS kill off Compaq and Gateway?
Date: 15 Aug 2000 15:49:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

>Wow, one of my hobbies is to try to figure out the latest coniving
>scheme of MS, but I totally missed this one.  Probably because I don't
>pay much attention to the 'gaming consoles' like the X-Box is 'supposed'
>to be.
>
>However unlikely it might be, I wouldn't be completely suprised if this
>actually had a bit of truth about it.
>
>--
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Nathaniel Jay Lee

Well, with broadband access becoming more widespread and PXE coming along,
this sort of thing seems plausible, maybe even desirable. Your
computer/xbox/whatever would netboot from your local provider, and the OS
rental fee could be lumped in as a "value-added" ISP service. Ostensibly it
would reduce complexity for the user, as the OS could fetch new components
as necessary and the user wouldn't have to worry about upgrades. Basically
the xterm/thin client/etc. concept applied to the masses.

This of course hinges on a robust, scalable, secure implementation.. :-)

-George

--
George Coulouris - http://www.tc.cornell.edu/~glc5/

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:06:38 -0400

Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
   [...]
>I don't think so. To be responsible for what we value, we would
>have to be able to discern the correctness of our values. For
>instance, if I knew that doing A is wrong, yet I valued A, I
>would have an internally inconsistent value system.

You seem to forget that the reason we use the term "value" in ethics,
rather than, say, "principle", is that they are not considered absolute.
Which do you value *more* is the question, not which do you value.

   [...]
>What do we use to choose values, if not preexisting values? The choice
>of values is then trivially reduced to the pursuit of values.

So either there is an absolute moral canon, or we have no free will.  Is
this what you are saying?

  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
   of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
       Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:14:41 -0300

"T. Max Devlin" escribió:

[snip, I'm tired]
>    [...]
> >What do we use to choose values, if not preexisting values? The choice
> >of values is then trivially reduced to the pursuit of values.
>
> So either there is an absolute moral canon, or we have no free will.  Is
> this what you are saying?

No, it is not. And I have no clue as to how you jump from what I wrote
to what you wrote. And honestly I'm too tired to care.

--
Roberto Alsina

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:12:53 GMT

    >> > But according to Bill Gates everybody that buys W2K because
    >> it's > more reliable is stupid:
    >>
    >> With all due respect for the devil, I think Bill was making an
    >> observation. "Less bugs" does not sell as well as "More
    >> features" does.

    > Yes.  An his customers have told him otherwise.

 Maybe that's something to do with the reemphasis.

 I wonder how many are still asking for features, or effectively doing
 so by voting with wallets and budgets.

Regards,

Chris Wenham

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Cameron)
Subject: Linux people don't speak Russian very well (was Re: Are Linux people
illiterate?)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:29:39 GMT

In article <8nbba5$9c9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Andres Soolo  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>@`  |-O    like in `yubka', I guess it's `skirt' in English

Soft `u' -> `yu' or `iu' "yubka"

>Jj         `i kratkoj'

`y' or `i', the `soft mark for vowels' type thing. "i kratkoi",
"bolshoi"

>Qq         `ya'
>Xx  b      `magkij znak' (btw, another nonphoneticality: it's pronounciated
>           as it'd be `mahkij')

Soft sign, I presume. Not usually transliterated though occasionally
rendered with a '

>Yy  bI     like in `tbI' that means `you' in singular
>[{  |_|_|  like in `|_|_|ar', balloon

Hard `sh' "shar"

>|\  -)     like in `-)kstremist'

Hard `e' "ekstremist"

>]}  |_|_|, like in `|_|_|,enok', puppy

Soft `sh' -> `shch' "shchenok", "shchi"

>^~  \|     like in `\|e"rnbIj', black

`ch' "chernii". That `e' in there is actually a `yo', which looks
like an E-umlaut in Russian but turns into an ordinary e in Roman.
Some of us used to have trouble with the name of your former
premier Mikhail Gorbachev which is spelt thus in the Roman alphabet
but pronounced more like "Garbachov".

>The tve"rdyj znak and e" aren't usually mapped.

Hard sign, but AFAIR that's very rare.

jim
--
http://madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk/people/jim/
  "Revenge is an integral part of forgiving and forgetting" -The BOFH

------------------------------

From: "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:18:40 -0500

"Joe Ragosta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >     >> W2K DC is supposed to far better - would you both not hope?
> >
> >     > But according to Bill Gates everybody that buys W2K because it's
> >     > more reliable is stupid:
> >
> >  With all due respect for the devil, I think Bill was making an
> >  observation. "Less bugs" does not sell as well as "More features"
> >  does.
>
> Actually, he went further. In the same interview, he claimed that
> Windows does not have bugs.

Post the article to backup your claim.  I doubt it says anything of the
sort.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft MCSE
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:31:41 -0500

> > Why should there be?  MCSD is Microsoft Certified SOLUTIONS Developer,
not
> > SYSTEMS developer.  There are C++ tracks for the MCSD, but they're also
>
> So, if the Microsoft Certified POLLUTIONS Developer doesn't know the
> difference between one system call that's efficient, and another
> similar one which is inefficient, it doesn't matter to you, right?
>
> This is precisely why there are fewer M$ SOLUTIONS than POLLUTIONS!

No, it means that VB, SQL, and Java languages are incapable of systems level
programming.  The techniques you mention are impossible to implement in
these languages, thus a developer in those languages has no need to
understand them.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gutenberg
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:35:29 -0700

Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I'm going to say being aristocracy they had a choice.  They could either
> be religious outcasts (which was quite a major deal at that time,
> especially among the aristocracy), or they could buy these bibles.  I
> don't know if that was much of a choice.  Unless you were the TOP DOG
> and managed to somehow subdue the church, I don't think the church was
> going to let you just pass by the 'opportunity' to purchase a bible.
>
> Anyway, I started this as an attempt at humor (which obviously failed).

Which is why most learning durning those times was occult handled by the
invisible college.  Note occult did not have the same conotation in this
reguard as we assign to in modern times, it just meant hidden.  That is why
so many of the scientific theories of the time when they did leave the realm
of occult knowledge and became overt knowledge were published posthumiously.

Also many of the artists of the age while creating works of religious art
would use it as an opportunity to show the church the finger (pun quite
intended)  We have all seen examples of that but few have reconised the
"unpious" elements in the religious works of the time.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:22:41 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ack!  COBOL is *TOOOOOOOO**** close to human language!

The least economical and most "chatty" computer programming language I have
yet encounterd and we used to have to write the program up on coding sheets
and then punch it into the cards.  Using such a slow and uneconomical entry
method on the most verbose language, what a combination!

Which is why so many COBOL programs of the time were written with so many
line appearing to have been made from a standard mold.  To speed up punch
time I and others would write the program like this so that we could let the
keypunch machines duplicate a supply of prepunched cards and we would use
them to assemble our decks.  For statements that had too many element the
same to puch by hand and to many elements uniq to prepunch.  I used to
duplicate what I could and the using the programming drum would use those
semi-prepunched cards in the hopper, the keypunch would the skip the
standard part of the card and all I would have to puch in was the unique
part.

For example:

05 FILLER            PICTURE IS X

would be the prepunched section and all I would have to punch was what
followed the X as in:

05 FILLER            PICTURE IS X(5).

If it needed a value clause, the period left off and the next card in the
deck would contain:

                                VALUE IS SPACES.

or what ever the value was. That also came from a semi prepunched set of
card containing:

                                VALUE IS

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:24:40 -0700

Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Chris Wenham wrote:

> Yes.  An his customers have told him otherwise.
>
> W2K's main selling point is reliability.  Ironically that's why it is
slower to
> be adopted, many of those wanting the reliability are waiting out the
first
> release.

Or have learned to ignore claims of reliability from Redmond.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:11:30 -0700

Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:19:54 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >

> >What is FVWM missing that explorer.exe provides for a working
environment?

> A file manager. FVWM vs explorer isn't really a fair comparison. A better
> comparison would be FVWM + TKdesk vs explorer or KWM + KFM vs explorer

Yes, Explorer is more or less just a filemanager.  It is the
reimplimentations of winfile.exe the Windows 3.x filemanager.  For some
reason so many of the Window's users will point to it as their analog to the
X window manager, so for their sake in this thread I have ignored the
inaccuracy of it.  On the other hand to make the resource consumption
comparison fair, I did count the usage of Midnight Commander compiled for
and linked with the GPM for mouse support running in an xterm.  Actually
running three instances of it.  There is a problem there as well, since
Midnight Commander has features that explorer.exe can not match like being
an ftp client that makes remote FTP archives appear another directory on
your host for most functions.  But I am not using that as part of the
comparison.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:38:29 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Stephen S. Edwards II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8na24m$akh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > FVWM is a small-sized wm, which doesn't nearly have
> > > the amount of functionality that EXPLORER.EXE has.
> > >
> > > Hence, your RAM comparison is very biased.  :-)
> >
> > What is FVWM missing that explorer.exe provides for a working
environment?

> Frequent crashes.

That is a *feature*!?!  I thought it was a bug.  (or should I say issue?)

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:33:38 -0500

So you believe that C++ is not a primary development language?  What are you
smoking?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:36:02 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8nasn3$488$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Other than support for "drag an drop" I am unaware of any service that
> Explorer provides that fvwm does not.  Even then most of the "drag and
drop"
> is provided by shared libraries and explorer proper.
>
> Imagine if explorer was another window manager for X, what features would
it
> have that could cause someone to switch to it as their window manager?

Hmm.. it's been a while since I used fvwm, but IIRC, fvwm doesn't provide an
actual "desktop" that you can drag files or icons onto.  It doesn't provide
a file manager, either.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Windows stability: Alternate shells?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:35:42 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Courageous wrote:

>> > Eventually, UNIX even found it's way into things like Air Traffic
>> > Control, Military tactical systems, and even strategic systems like
>> > Norad and SAC.
>>
>> Although these systems were primarily mainframe based until recent years.
>
>These days, there is tremendous pressure from the DOD to use NT.
>For whatever reason.

NT running Air Traffic Control?  Where's my parachute...

Hope the airlines have v.good insurance (but sir, it only takes
3 mins to reboot :)

--
Mark - remove any ham to reply.
"A compiler is a program that takes the pseudo-English gibberish produced

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Steve/Mike Gets A Sex Change -- And His 36th Fake Name (was: Why    Linux
will crash and burn.....
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:34:32 +0100

In article <8n6h3l$2mo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <8mssst$7ph$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>wrote:
>> >
>> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >I have always appreciated good SciFi, Movies, T.V., Radio, Books, etc.
>You
>> >failed to mention some of the best SciFi on T.V. and the movies Twilight
>> >Zone, The Outer Limits, Dr. Who (Dr's #1, #3, #4 were the best), Blake's
>> >Seven, Space 1999, The Time Tunnel, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rodgers
>(T.V.
>> >series first season), Babylon 5, Dune, and more.  There are many other
>> >non-SciFi entertainment that I also enjoy.
>> >
>> Watch out for Galaxy Quest - it is truly excellent (you need a strong
>> appreciation of SF movies/TV/Books and a sense of humour to appreciate
>> it).  I don't think the number of alter-egos you have will affect your
>> enjoyment, but then I've only one... or was it 2 ... argghh, I'm
>> going to change my name to Steve, or Heather, or Claire, or someone.
>> Just so many egos to choose from, I don't know which one to use.
>> Mwaaahhhh. Cackle.
>
>Excuse me, were you directing your comments to me or our resident
>shapeshifter?

Sorry, it wasn't clear.  I was recommending Galaxy Quest to you and
taking the p*ss out of Steve/Heather/Keys/Trailer/etc...