Linux-Advocacy Digest #431, Volume #28           Wed, 16 Aug 00 10:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous Windtrolls
and Authentic Linvocates)
  Re: "pure" Linux?? (Radix)
  Re: Slashdot on AvantGo (John Gotts)
  Steve/Mike Admits He Works For Microsoft??? -was- The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA
(Mark S. Bilk)
  Re: Article: Why linux is here to stay (Loren Petrich)
  Re: MCSE != Engineer (Was: Microsoft MCSE (2:1)
  Re: ANN: LinuxWorld Webcasts ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA (mlw)
  Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA (Glitch)
  Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA (Glitch)
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (Illya Vaes)
  Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE) (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
  Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE) (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE) (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous
Windtrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:52:49 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Zmqm5.6144$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Are you following this discussion?  The question was asked, what
> functionality did explorer provide that fvwm did not.  I am answering.

The question was if explorer was another window manager what features would
it have to convince someone to cause someone to switch from fvwm to it.
Since the first question that you are now citing did not get a responsive
answer, it was then it was replaced with this question.

------------------------------

From: Radix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: "pure" Linux??
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 05:30:20 -0230

> > I know there are many "flavours" of Linux out there (Red Hat, Mandrake,
> > TurboLinux, etc.), each of which have their own benefits, drawbacks, etc.
> > However, I was wondering if it is possible to take the kernel itself,
> > without any "flavour" moifications, install it on a system, and then
> > install different individual components, as you see fit, and thus have a
> > "pure" Linux system installed on your system.
> >
> > Where would one get all these individual components?  What would be
> > involved in such an undertaking??

For a crash course in such a task, see the "Linux From Scratch" howto at
<http://www.linuxdoc.org>, or go to <http://www.diylinux.com> for some
super fun...

Regards...
--
-Trevor
======================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Gotts)
Crossposted-To: alt.geek,microsoft.public.windowsce,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Subject: Re: Slashdot on AvantGo
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:56:54 GMT

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:01:17 GMT, Richard Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Quick posting to let you know that if you read Slashdot and have
>AvantGo on your Palm or WinCE PDA then you can now read it on the move
>(Slashdot that is).

>For more information see:

>  http://www.custard.org/~richard/avantslash/

>And before you ask, yes you could just create a custom channel pointing
>to the slashdot website but do you really want to have to set aside
>900k for it?

They currently recommend

http://slashdot.org/palm/

But I had to set my channel limit to 250K to get everything.

--
John GOTTS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk)
Subject: Steve/Mike Admits He Works For Microsoft??? -was- The dusty Linux shelves at
CompUSA
Date: 16 Aug 2000 09:57:01 GMT

>Windows 98ME will slam the lid on Linsux once and for all.
>
>Cakewalk (a digital audio/MIDI recording software company) as well as
>the other players in that field are working with Microsoft on the next
>version of Direct-X as well as mp3 technology and several other things
>I can't mention here.

How does Steve/Mike obtain secret proprietary information
that he "can't mention here" about Microsoft's unannounced
current development efforts unless he works for them?

(Either directly or through a PR agency, or a propaganda
mill like the Heritage Foundation -- one of several Right-
wing organizations that Microsoft is affiliated with.)

Steve/Mike/Simon/teknite/keymaster/keys88/"S"/Sponge/Syphon/
"Sewer Rat"/Sarek/steveno/scummer/McSwain/Swango/piddy/
pickle_pete/wazzoo/"leg log"/mike_hunt/Heather/Amy/claire_lynn/
susie_wong/Ishmeal_hafizi/"Saul Goldblatt"/Proculous/
Tiberious/Jerry_Butler/"Tim Palmer"/BklynBoy/bison/Wobbles/
screwbilk/deadpenguin/"%^$&&&&&&&&&&&&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!.com"/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/etc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Subject: Re: Article: Why linux is here to stay
Date: 16 Aug 2000 10:24:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>They should pull the Windows and Mac's out.  They serve no purpose
>other than to befuddle the underclassemen with stupid ideas.

        And what, in particular, might those be?

--
Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MCSE != Engineer (Was: Microsoft MCSE
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:30:07 GMT

> > This seems to be a common mis-appellation in the industry.  My own
job title
> > is "technical engineer" (I do Linux phone support).  I don't have an
> > engineering degree (nor do any of my fellow "engineers" AFAIK.)

I'm an engineer, and I don't have a degree (yet).

> That's sad.  I think you would find Engineering school very rewarding.

Yep. Engineering school is very rewarding :-)

Aaron, how many of your messages are 1/10 the size of your .sig?

-Ed

--
BBC Computer 32K
Acorn DFS

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ANN: LinuxWorld Webcasts
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:22:13 GMT

Looks like some pretty big names using the word Geek...

Better not tell  [EMAIL PROTECTED] because he might try and sue
them....

claire

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:37:02 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago I did a little experiment at one of the NYC
> CompUSA stores, I counted the Linux boxes on the shelves and marked
> each one with a fluorescent high lighter to track them.
>
> In 4.5 weeks a grand total of 3 Linux boxes have been sold. This
> includes, RH, SuSE, Corel, Mandrake and the associated "Power Packs".
>
> Pretty dismal if you ask me.....
>
> Three boxes in 4.5 weeks?
>
> I'll bet they sell 200 times that of PowderPuff Girls (a kids game for
> Windows).... I saw 3 people on line buying that game the day I was
> there.

Sort of like trying to move Ford F-150's from a Yugo lot. People go to
CompUSA for translucent cased idiot boxes, USB mice, and PlayStation
games.

If CompUSA is having trouble moving Linux software, then it is probably
for the best. People that work at CompUSA, in my experience, are
clueless idiots that are qualified to work at any K-Mart kids
department. They had a sale on RAM last week, I asked what speed they
had left (it was behind the counter, so I couldn't check for myself) The
guy said, "I don't know, does it matter?" Try asking about mother
boards. NEVER EVER! bring your computer in to have it fixed. Just watch
some old 20/20 reports; CompUSA was one of the worst. (Bad marks for
replacing a hard drive AND!! motherboard for a bad IDE cable)

Yup, from what you write, I must assume you work at a CompUSA.

> I know all the LinoNuts will say everyone is spending hours ftp'ing
> the CD or buying the stripped $1.99 Cheapgarbage version. Or buying
> one CD and sharing it amongst 200 friends (do Linux users even have
> friends?)

I am running the latest version of RedHat and I didn't buy it. I
downloaded the CD image. I know for a fact that 5 machines were
bootstrapped with it.

> I don't believe it...

No one is asking you too.

> What I DO believe is that Linux is a dismal failure in the eyes of the
> desktop user. It is dying a slow and miserable death....

Hardly, geez, do you read? I mean, I assume so, because you do seem to
post a lot (one would presume that one had to read to actually compose a
post), but Sun, IBM, and others are pushing linux and Gnome. In fact,
Sun is going to make Gnome its window manager.

This speaks volumes for Gnome on the desktop. Gnome is, as you must
know, one of the desktops for Linux.

> Server yes. Geek backroom? Yes.

absolutely!! There is NO reason to buy NT or W2K for the back office.

> Desktop?
>
>  Forget it...In fact it already HAS been forgotten before it has even
> started.

Buy whom?

http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:47:32 -0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
>
> > > Do you know for a fact, that Nathaniel has not done things to improve
> Linux?
> >
> > No, I don't. Of course it's easy, just say "oh, I did this", and I will
> > shut up about it.
>
> Didn't he already say that?

I must have missed it. No big deal anyway, since the argument died
already.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:48:45 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hmmm....talked to a friend the other day...he's getting a job for a defense
> dept company babysitting a lan. He's an MCSE, and currently the only one I
> know who is unemployed. He told me he was going to have to learn UNIX, so
> would I help him set up Linux and learn UNIX concepts. It's going to be fun
> deprogramming this NT advocate.
>

> > Windows 98ME will slam the lid on Linsux once and for all.
>
> They better hurry. They've only got 4 months left. Oh, wait. I forgot.
> They've got 999 years and 4 months. Never mind. They might just get it out
> in time.

The first year of the first millenium was 1, not 0.  There never was a 0
year. This means the first decade was *over* *after* the 10th year, not
the 9th.  Therefore the 2nd millenium will be over at the end of the
2000th year, not the 1999th. So based on this MS has indeed 4 months to
cough up whatever they are currently choking on.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:51:24 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > What I DO believe is that Linux is a dismal failure in the eyes of the
> > desktop user. It is dying a slow and miserable death....

msnbc.com has a lot of articles recently (with Linux expo and all that
going on) that you should read if you don't think it's catching on.
IBM, SUN, and Dell are all getting into the fray just to name a few.

From: Illya Vaes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:14:28 +0200

JS/PL wrote:
[Hotmail]
>It's just a company MS has purchased like 100's of others.
>There are employees and hardware in place and I'd be real surprised if the
>service ever turns a profit.
>Why sink dolloars retraining and purchasing un neccessary hardware
>and software when the Hotmail doesn't make dime one.

Indeed, extend the reasoning and ask 'why purchase it at all'?

--
Illya Vaes   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])        "Do...or do not, there is no 'try'" - Yoda
Holland Railconsult BV, Integral Management of Railprocess Systems

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:12:50 -0500

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>
> > "Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
>
> > > voice, stating "This is car 37!  I've got birds!  Over.",
> > > or something similar.
> > >
> > > I was howling for 15 minutes.  :-)
> >
> > I remember that movie you are talking about, but can't remember the name
> > of it :-(.  But my favorite was the one where they went looking for
> > bigfoot (or something along similar lines, I didn't catch the beginning
> > of it).  The group is all locked up in a house, and the
> > bigfoot/monster/whatever crashes through the door and crow (I think)
> > says, "SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!" and then the other little robot dude says,
> > "Eat me!" in that snotty voice on the slim jim commercials.  I was
> > laughing for a good 15 minutes, and I laughed so hard that my wife
> > actually ran out of the shower to see what was wrong with me.  God that
> > was funny.
>
> It's too bad they never reviewed "Judge Dredd". During the scene when
> Robb Schneider enters the cloning vats, one of them could have said
> "Hmm... making copies!".
>
> Colin Day

Yeah, a couple of friends I have kind of keep up a running commentary on
movies we've seen and that was one of the things that they said.  I
laughed just as hard at that as I did the slim jim thing.
Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:25:50 +0200

Bob B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >You guys RUINED the NT Brand by over promising and giving it a bad
> >reputation as it was evaluated by standards to which it could not
> >achieve.  NT was a good PC OS but boy was it over sold and MS had to dump
> >the NT Brand to be taken seriously --
>
> Yes, NT was a failure in the marketplace and they had to change
> the name. Just like Apple OS 9 is a failure and they had to
> introduce OS X.

Apple changed the name because it is a completely different OS.

<snip>
> >DO MS a favor - shut up.
>
> Apple might ask the same of you.
>
> Bob B.

Apple? Joseph is a Linux user.

Lars T.

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:21:05 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
> > Absolutely.  I've watched my share of that as well.  Although as far as
> > I'm concerned nothing beats the original Robotech series (and it's
> > sequel series), and I've been told that those 'aren't real anime'.
>
> Captain Harlock?
> Starblazers (Starship Yamato)?

I liked Starblazers, haven't seen Captain Harlock.  I think I'm biased
towards Robotech because I remember coming home from school to catch
them when they were new in the states.  I watched them religiously at
that time, and I always loved, LOVED the models that came out of the
series.  Anybody else remember those models?  You could work on them for
two weeks and still not have them all the way put together.  They were
really complex, but what a sense of accomplishment when you finally
completed one (especially as a kid).

> Bad movies?
>
> Horrors of the Red Planet.
> Ice Pirates.
> Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Now, Ice Pirates was absolutely hilarious.  I find that one to be even
better if you turn the sound off and make up your own voices for it
(hehe).  I've never gotten ahold of Plan 9, although I've heard some
pretty hideous things about it.  I'll find if someday.

> An SciFi from Italy dubbed into English I can't remember that name, and
> there was no continuity so I never did learn the plot.  They confused being
> weightless and being airless.  For the special effect of being weightless
> they turned the cammera upside down but the were still able to walk and when
> they dropped something it fell up.  Every one had a uniform space suit
> except for the glammour puss, her space suit was skin tight and low cut
> almost to the navel both front and back, when they suited up for a space
> walk she was still exposing her.... um .... torso and showing off her ... um
> ... assets.  Glad that was on T.V. so I didn't have to pay to see it.

I got one for ya.  I think it was called StarShip (I know there's
another word, but I can't think of it).  The special effects team was
the same ones that worked on the Star Wars movies, but they were VERY
inexperienced at the time they started it.  It was one of the most
gawdawful pieces of garbage I've ever seen.  My uncle called it
'giggling butts in space suites' because basically every female officer
on the ship had on a bikini looking thing and ran through every seen so
that any 'fleshy parts' would bounce all over the place.  I have a
little idea of what the plot was, but it didn't seem to be very
important.  ANd I am quite sure that I saw MST3K do an episode with that
movie.  They said basically the same stuff I said the first time I
watched it.  It was even funnier to know that someone else thought the
same thing.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:22:54 -0500

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Mike Marion wrote:

> >> Then again, MST3K is a show that you have to pay attention to, and
> >> often think about what they've said to get obscure references and
> >> such.  Which is one reason I love the show.
> >>
> >> Then again, I love The Simpsons too, because they often sneak things
> >> into their episodes too.
> >

> >Yeah, it's kind of interesting to watch the same cartoons you watched as
> >a kid and pick up some dirty little side joke that made no sense to you
> >ages ago.  Or even references to historical figures and such.  It makes
> >it a lot more funnier when you remember your thought as a child, and
> >then put it together with what you know now.
>
> Do either of you two ever watch The Family Guy?
>
> Two of my favorite scenes: (not exact, but close enough)
>
> 1.) [Two softball players in the foul zone...]
>
> Player1:  "Here, have some gum."
> Player2:  "Gee, thanks!"
> Player1:  "Hahaha!  I got you!  That's trick gum!"
> Player2:  "Huh?!"
> Player1:  "You're addicted to heroin now!"
>
> [Both players laugh hysterically, until
>  Player2 stops suddenly...]
>
> Player2:  "*shudder*  I'm so cold!"
>
> 2.) [Peter arrives home after getting razzed in
>      a business meeting for a silly idea he had
>      for a new product...]
>
> Peter:  "It was awful, Lois.  As I was standin' up
>          there, all they saw was a loser... well,
>          except for the guy with the lazy eye...

I don't know, something about Family Guy just doesn't hit me right.  But
I haven't watched too many episodes of it.  I'm thinking it's just not
my humor style.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:25:54 +0200

Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It was the Tue, 8 Aug 2000 20:13:00 +0200...
> ...and Lars Träger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
["... In the end (if you don't kill kpat within 2 minutes), when all
swap-space is used up, the machine locks dead, just thrashing."]

> > > Lars is German, that means there is a 70% chance that he uses SuSE.
> > > That distribution does not set any resource limits by default. Debian
> > > does (I think).
> >
> > Yes indeed, I use SuSE, and I wonder why it's (mis-)configured that way.
>
> It's hard to set reasonable ulimits with today's applications like
> Netscape or StarOffice which can suck up 32 MB of core like nothing;
> and especially with flashy stuff such as Imlib 1.x applications which
> can make your X server swell to 70 MB (most of which is cached
> pixmaps). Probably SuSE doesn't set any ulimits to prevent nasty
> surprises.
>
> Or maybe nobody thought about it yet.
>
> Anyway, since the offending processes will likely all be started by
> yourself, set reasonable ulimits in your .bashrc/.profile/whatever and
> you should be a bit safer from having the system thrash to death.

Well, I *could* do that, but this bug could creep up in other processes
too, and it would be nice (a necessity even) if there were a way to stop
bezerk processes. At least when all swap space is taken, an OS should
decide that a process that alloced memory at a rate of >1MB/sec for the
last minute is probably broken and should be killed.

Lars T.

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:26:39 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
> > I couldn't ever get into Ally McBeal.  Waaaaaay too many sexual
> > references (what is it, like one every 10 seconds?).  My parents also
> > watch it religiously (I guess I'm still rebelling huh?).
> >

> Your parent's are baby-boomers, right?

Yeppers.

> Juvenile TV shows for juvenile minds
> (how many babyboomers do you know who are troubled by the fact that
> society is beginning to expect them to at least behave like adults
> (even though they still don't have the thought processes down very
> well)?)

Well, my parents have both told me that I spent more time raising them
than they did raising me.  But that's only partially true.  I do
remember spending a lot of Saturday mornings screaming at my dad as he
puked his guts out after a 'night out on the town'.  BTW, apparently I
didn't do a very good job of raising them, cause niether one of them
seems to be capable of having an adult conversation for more than three
minutes at a time.  They are constantly pulling one of these, no it was
his fault, no it was her fault kind of things.  Real fun when you go out
to eat with them.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:30:59 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Stephen S. Edwards II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8nclgs$99g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith) wrote in
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > >Why is it a stupid line?  It was a Unix system.
> >
> > The line was stupid, because it munged the aesthetics
> > of the dialogue.  Had she said "I think I can do something
> > with this!", or something similar, the dialogue would
> > have been more acceptable.  Actually, it's more likely
> > that she would have just sat down and started using it,
> > in a situation as dire as theirs.
>
> In the movie E.T. it was Reeses Pieces that Elliot used to bait ET out of
> hiding.  ET then pointed to Elliot with a glowing finger.  But, in the book
> E.T. it was M&M's not Reeses Pieces and instead of pointing to Elliot, E.T.
> and drew M&M with his finger.  The book made a deal of the fact that,
> encountering his first M&M he examined it and noted the M&M marking, after
> eating it he determined that M&M was the earth glyph for nurishment.
> Instead of amazing Elliot with a glowing finger, according to the book he
> was asking for more nurishment.  I don't know if Hersey was willing to pay
> more for product placement or if there was some problem between Amblin and
> M&M Mars but for some reason the candy was switched gutting the meaning of
> that scene.

There was a big, huge write up about that in a National Geographic not
too long ago.  It was about the history of candy and they talked about
how Reeses Pieces were first successful after that movie, and how hard
Reeses had fought to get the candy in the movie.  The short version is
that they made the movie producers a deal they couldn't refuse, and sort
of cut out Hersey with that one.  It was a retaliation for deals that
had gone bad between Hersey and the original founder of Mars and a
couple of other candy execs.  It was really interesting how even in the
candy business it's a cut-throat world.

Nathaniel Jay Lee