Linux-Advocacy Digest #483, Volume #28           Fri, 18 Aug 00 15:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available! (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard  says  Linux
growth stagnating ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available! ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right! ("Christopher Smith")
  Threats are a good way to get your ass into prison... (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary
Split Save It?) (Stephen S. Edwards II)
  Re: Decent Linux CDR software wanted. ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says Linux
growth stagnating (Stephen S. Edwards II)
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re:    Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates) (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available! (Stephen S. Edwards II)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard  says  Linux
growth stagnating (Stephen S. Edwards II)
  Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE) (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Switch to NT? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available! (Stephen S. Edwards II)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says Linux
growth stagnating ("Drestin Black")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Subject: Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available!
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:36:30 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>Robert Moir wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> assume,
>> in
>> >
>> > I concede that you are running away.
>>
>> And I concede that you appear to be either dull witted or trolling. *plonk*
>
>Seeeeeeeee, he DID run away
>
>He Did!
>
>He Did run away.

And that would be the childish behavior I've mentioned
before.  I'm assuming we will soon see a new addition to
your sig including some idiotic thing said in this thread?

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard  says
Linux growth stagnating
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:50:05 +1000

"Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8njv93$m0o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > And you wonder why folks plonk you Aaron...
> >

> > I know fully well why they do.  They see that checkmate is only 2 moves
> > away, and rather than concede defeat, they decide to fling the board
> > across
> > the room.
>
> I was thinking more the ad hominem attacks...

What more justification of stupidity and ignorance do you need than his .sig
?

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:51:05 +1000

"Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8njv6p$lg9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > And I concede that you appear to be either dull witted or trolling.
> *plonk*
> >
> > Seeeeeeeee, he DID run away
> >
> > He Did!
> >
> > He Did run away.
>
> What cartoon character does that sound like to you folks?

One that doesn't deserve to be sullied by such a comparison.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right!
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:53:35 +1000

"Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8njud7$qbk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Oh, and I just _LOVE_ his little "list".  It's
> a common trait for mentally disturbed people to
> keep "lists" of other "people" or "things" that
> they feel are out to get them... it's a way for
> them to feel like they are in control of things
> which they would otherwise know that they cannot
> control.
>
> The "list" makes me hysterical with laughter.  :-)
>
> But what I must ask is, why isn't Christopher
> Smith on the list yet?  He's just as much of
> a Black-Helicopter-riding-guy-in-a-grey-suit
> as we are!  He deserves recognition too, dammit!  :-)

Indeed, I was dismayed to miss out *again* !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Threats are a good way to get your ass into prison... (was Re: Would a M$
Voluntary Split Save It?)
Date: 18 Aug 2000 18:44:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JS/PL) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>> Mike Byrns wrote:
>> > Let me guess.  You are a Linux fanatic.  You hide it so well.  I'm
>> > just waiting for one of you psycho Line folks like Kulkis to mount a
>> > grassy
>knoll
>> > outside the Redmond campus and REALLY stand up for your cause.  Then
>> > the
>>
>> Don't tempt me.  Gates has destroyed so many lives that he has
>> sacrificed any right to his own.
>
>Are you saying you are tempted to kill someone, namely Bill Gates?
>Please expound on the threat. Who do you want to kill?

Yes, Aaron, please elaborate.

Threatening anyone, by any means, be they the
working class, celebrity, or leadership, is
(read carefully, Aaron)

A   V E R Y   S T U P I D   T H I N G   T O   D O.

People file lawsuits for anything these days.  And
the authorities do not take kindly to people who
make such statements about highly profiled people.

Keep it up Aaron, and you'll find Microsoft's lawyers,
and the authorities on your ass like flies on a shit.
--
.-----.
|[_]  |  Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount/
| =  :|  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|    -| "Even though you can't see the details, you can sense them.
|     |  And that is what makes great computer graphics."
|_..._|                      -- Robert Abel of Abel Image Research

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Decent Linux CDR software wanted.
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 19:57:44 +0100

>> them unsuitable for my intended purposes. Neither of them have
>percentage
>> bars to show how far the image creation and writing operations have
>> completed so far.
>Well this is not true.

I have now found the percentage readout in kisofs - I didn't realise the
readout was displayed in the dialog opened on starting the burn which states
'You may close this dialog' at the bottom, perhaps this should be made more
clear so users expecting things to work like windows applications have more
idea of what is going on.

>> gtoaster cannot make images without copying all files to a
>> local directory
>This is not true either.
>Gnometoaster doesn't make copies of files it just symlinks them
>(and this will also be replaces by some in-memory structure in the near
>future).

Sorry,  I didn't realise gtoaster only linked and didn't actually filecopy
as it is not obvious to a new user migrating from windows but now I know I
will give it another try (links and real files look the same in some text
consoles).

>And you can disable on the fly writing of iso filesystems in the
>preferences.

Good, this is not needed for my cd use at work (backing up an NT server via
samba) but could be very useful on my home machine.

>I will gladly make a "notice" about your criticism but you will have to
>explain your problems a bit further cause as far as I know none of the
>things you're stating here about Gnometoaster (which I'm the author of)
>seem to be true.

I think it is more of an understanding of operation problem now rather than
a real problem, guess that RTFM applies in this case - I guess that like
many windows and ex-windows users I am used to just using the software
without bothering to read the documentation properly and this is where I got
confused.

By the way, I managed to use kisofs to do our usual weekly backup at work
(well for 2 out of our usual 3 discs anyway as a comparision) and found that
using this software on the computer we always use for backups (P90 with HP
badged philips 3610 ide) the writing buffer never went below 97% throughout
the whole writing operation for the 2 discs done on linux, yet win-on-CD
under win95 could barely manage 20% buffer full for most of the writing
operation. This is the reason I tried (and now succeeded) in switching to
linux as every few weeks the buffer hit 0 with obvious disc-wasting results.

I will probably use GToaster next week though now you have put me right on
my misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Nigel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
Subject: Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:41:56 +0200

Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joe Ragosta wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joseph
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > OS X is "OS ten"  It's a minor change in name relative to the BSD roots
> > > of the
> > > OS.
> >
> > I've wondered about that. They basically did three things by choosing OS
> > X:
> >
> > 1. Created a nomenclature which is going to be mispronounced. Regularly.
> >
> > 2. Made it look like OS X is only a one step change from Mac OS 9.x.
> >
> > 3. Made it effectively impossible to continue to improve Mac OS 9.x if
> > they choose to do so.
>
> Here's one you might not have thought of...
> DirectX...
> ActiveX...
> X-Box...

OS X is older than X-Box.

> Or more likely, they did it to reflect its more Unix-like qualities.

It won't come with a X-server standard.

Lars T.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:41:42 +0200

Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Lars Träger wrote:
> >Bob B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Yes, NT was a failure in the marketplace and they had to change
> >> the name. Just like Apple OS 9 is a failure and they had to
> >> introduce OS X.
> >
> >Apple changed the name because it is a completely different OS.
>
> OS X is "OS ten"  It's a minor change in name relative to the BSD roots of the
> OS.

Apple wouldn't have minded skipping past MacOS 9. The name MacOS X is
older, the decission to bring out a version 9.x instead of 8.7 was
mostly marketing.

> ><snip>
> >>
> >> Apple might ask the same of you.
> >>
> >> Bob B.
> >
> >Apple? Joseph is a Linux user.
>
> Newly.   I've added it to my OS/2 PC (a la System Commander2000) to try out
> for a few weeks.

Still doesn't make you an Apple addict by default ;-)

It was more an attack on boneheaded Bob B.'s assumption that everyone
saying something negative about Microsoft must be on Apple's payroll or
something.

Lars T.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Linux growth stagnating
Date: 18 Aug 2000 18:49:46 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8njvlo$q8p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

8<SNIP>8

>> Yep, Linux does provide a good path to powerful OSes like AIX.
>
>Actually, I was thinking along the lines of going to a more powerful
>equipment on the same family of hardware if that cannot help you can
>move from a microcomputer running Linux to a minicomputer running Linux
>or even to a mainframe running Linux.  That is something that cannot be
>done with Windows NT.  My posting was a little joke that was also
>intended to highlight that major difference.

What sort of proof do you have that WindowsNT could
not be adapted to run on many different classes of
hardware?

No, _WE_ can't do it, because it's closed source,
but that doesn't mean that it empirically cannot
be done.
--
.-----.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re:    Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:50:03 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>Stuart Fox wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > No.  I have a full understanding of the behavior of the individuals
>> > listed in my .sig, and how to keep their behavior under control
>> >
>> As a Unix Systems Engineer (whatever that is), you should know about
>> something called a <dr evil>"killfile"</dr evil>.  Perhaps that's the best
>> way to "keep their behaviour under control", and avoid pissing off most of
>> the readers of this ng.
>
>Clue for the fucking clueless:
>
>       Putting someone in a killfile doesn't prevent them from
>       spreading lies about me.

It's a funny thing, if you are a reasonable and well
informed poster, you will usually have plenty of people
backing you up that haven't killfiled the person in
question if you happen to killfile them.  Or people just
won't pay any attention to them.

Anyway, I think that sig needs to be trimmed (as I've said
before).  Making up lame excuses to keep it just pisses
off more people.  Pretty soon you'll just be 'talking to
yourself'.  But, if that's your intended goal, there would
be much quicker ways of achieving it.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Date: 18 Aug 2000 18:52:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Byrns) wrote in
<8njv6p$lg9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > And I concede that you appear to be either dull witted or trolling.
>*plonk*
>>
>> Seeeeeeeee, he DID run away
>>
>> He Did!
>>
>> He Did run away.
>
>What cartoon character does that sound like to you folks?

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know!@#  I know!@#

TWEETY BIRD!@#

WhatdidIwin?!  WhatdidIwin?!
--
.-----.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Linux growth stagnating
Date: 18 Aug 2000 18:53:52 GMT

<8njv93$m0o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > And you wonder why folks plonk you Aaron...
>>

>> I know fully well why they do.  They see that checkmate is only 2 moves
>> away, and rather than concede defeat, they decide to fling the board
>> across
>> the room.
>
>I was thinking more the ad hominem attacks...

I was thinking more like:

"because it's useless to argue with someone
who states opinions as facts, and only responds
to questions that have fewer than five or six
syllables in their wording".
--
.-----.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Subject: Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:53:42 GMT

Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8njsas$43h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>My point was that people who post false accusations and continue to do so
>for purely inflammatory reasons don't warrant getting bent about.  I'd have
>made fun of them and left it at that.  Any more static from them and they
>get plonked.

One point of contention is that this particular person
goes out of his/her/it's way to be unplonkable.  (It's
tough to plonk someone when they go so far out of thier
way to have a new identity as often as possible.)

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Switch to NT?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:54:27 GMT

We have a Solaris network with Sparcstation servers and PC's running NT
Workstation. We use Solstice Network Client to run the Unix programs
over the network.  We have two sites tied by a T1 line, about 40 users.
We use Applix for an office suite.  There is some push to replace Applix
with MS Office.  I doubt that we will get rid of Solaris anytime soon,
but we may add a Winnt server to provide MS Office.  Eventually we may
go NT.  I've been thinking about playing around with Linux on
a workstation.

The main (and possibly only) reason for the change is the difficulty in
converting Word documents.  Also we have recently started collaborating
on PowerPoint presentations. In addition, we will be increasing our use
of GIS, particularly ArcView.  ESRI seems to have abandoned Unix in
favor of NT.  In the future we may be more involved with web activity,
possibly hosting our own web site or setting up an intranet.

What I'm looking for are compelling reasons for not using MS Office and
NT. I need answers some very non-technical managers can understand
besides religous fervor.  Some areas I've been exploring:

* Cost.  Upgrade cycle, maintenance, administration.
* Perfomance.
* MS Office's compatability issues with other suites, older versions.
* Security, vulnerability to viruses.
* Quickly changing trends.  Rise of Linux (on the desktop?), antitrust
suit, Star Office,

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Date: 18 Aug 2000 19:02:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>>Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

>>> Boy Aaron, you seem to have impressed a lot of people lately!
>>

>>When they're about to be checkmated, they always find some way to
>>tip-over the board.
>>

>I have a feeling that you would get plonked a lot less if
>you would:
>
>1) Trim that insipid sig, rather than adding to it
>everytime you have a disagreement with someone (and you
>are too childish to let it go).
>
>2) Stop responding to people by insulting them (no matter
>what the 'argument' is you are having).
>
>3) Quit acting like a big child and saying, "You lose!"
>every two or three lines.
>
>Of course, the chances of that happening are about as good
>as the chances that people will stop spouting "Godwin's
>Law" every few minutes.

What irks me about "Godwin's law", is that it isn't a
"law" at all.  It's merely a "principle".  That whole
Godwin thing is abused to bloody much these days.

Someguy1:  "And Microsoft is like the Nazis!"
Someguy2:  "Ooh!  I invoke Godwin's law!  Am I cool now!"

People shouldn't reference things they don't understand.  :-P

Godwin's principle stemmed from the idea that no matter
what a topic of discussion was, that after a certain
amount of time, it would degrade into a discussion
about Nazi Germany, at which point, the discussion
would become completely pointless and useless.

That's it.  No law.  No "invoking".  None of that.

At the most, someone would say:
"The thread is dead.  Thank God for Godwin."
and that would be the end of it.

But then again, there are hundreds of people who
still refer to The X Window System as "XWindows,"
so I shouldn't be suprised.  :-\

If more people would simply "man X", that term
never would have been coined.
--
.-----.

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux growth stagnating
Date: 18 Aug 2000 14:04:03 -0500

"Nathaniel Jay Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Hey, I'm not trying to discredit MS in this venture, I'm
> trying (and apparently succeeding) in discreditting you.

hardly!

> You say you have, without any qualifications, 'no
> incentives' for promoting MS, then you say you have
> financial gains to be made because your business succeeds
> based on MS products.  That is what we humans call a
> 'contradiction'.

My business succeeds. It does so because we do good work and are honest and
have a good price and good support and good people. WHICH products we sell
are VERY secondary to all of this. LOTS of people sell MS products, very few
of them are as success as we are. I could start selling Oracle and *nix
tomorrow and given the same company and people be just as successful. IF MS
fell over tomorrow, it would be problemsome (for support) but we would turn
to other vendors and continue to be a successful company. There is no
contradiction. An auto parts store sells parts for Ford, it could sell parts
for GM but does for Ford. If Ford goes away and the store switches to GM
parts, it'll survive based on whether it was a good store, not solely cause
it sold one brand or another. However, having said all that, it is true that
I feel since MS makes superiour products it's nice to be selling the better
product and not having to make excuses.

So, you can try to twist it as much as you'd like but the fact remains that
I am not in any way "forced" by MS to say anything (good or bad) about them.
I do so cause I wanna...

> As to your 'why do you worry so much?' question, one could
> ask the same of you.  Why do you spend so much time trying
> to tell us what morons we are for using *nix?  Why does it
> hurt you so terribly bad that we don't use Windows?  What
> are you so afraid of?

I don't worry what you use and certainly do not fear it. i could care less.
i do not call anyone a moron for using *nix. I do sometimes wonder why
people choose to do things the harder way when an easier way is available.